• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

BvS Which Green Lantern should be used? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just IMO, but here goes.

My first thought is Hal Jordan, just because he was the first Oan-based GL (as opposed to Alan Scott and the Green Flame). When I think of GL Hal's always the first who comes to mind. As long as they cast him well
I think it'll work. It doesn't need to be Reynolds,(actually I really hope it's not Reynolds!) hell why not chuck Fillion in there, whoever, but someone who's going to be great......but in a supporting role (as GL will be sharing the spotlight, big time).

John Stewart is a great character, and would be a very close second.

I've never really gotten into Kyle Rayner, he just hasn't interested me that much.

Guy Gardner has a lot of personality, and potential for humour, but I think he'd be best in a GL ensemble cast movie.

I'd love to see a Hal, John, Kyle and Guy + all the other GL's in an ensemble film, but that ain't too likely.

So for the upcoming JL film, I'll stick with Hal (but would be totally okay with John, the other guys need to be in a film centred on GL characters).

cheers.

Yeah that's pretty much how i feel as well ^

how would you people feel about Justin Theroux as Hal Jordan?

Oh noes, Hal was in a bad movie, he cannot be used again!! :funny:
I didn't say he could not be used again. I said WB will be really gun shy about using him again because his film was a huge mega bomb and he isn't some huge inconic character that regular people know about and love. He doesn't have the Hulk or Catwoman's popularity. I think it's going to take some convincing to get him into a film so soon after Green Lantern's failure. And as for solos anytime soon? You can forget about that.

If they are going for someone older I wouldn't mind him.

Last edited:
I didn't say he could not be used again. I said WB will be really gun shy about using him again because his film was a huge mega bomb and he isn't some huge inconic character that regular people know about and love. He doesn't have the Hulk or Catwoman's popularity. I think it's going to take some convincing to get him into a film so soon after Green Lantern's failure. And as for solos anytime soon? You can forget about that.

How many people even know who Hal Jordan is outside of comic book fandom? GL bombed. Most people wouldn't be able to tell him apart from Alpha Male #2323. Use him again, they won't know if it's the same guy or someone else as long as he is not played by Ryan Reynolds. Since that's not going to happen, people will see that it's a "different" GL and, as long as he's cool and awesome (that thing Snyder does in his sleep) they won't mind him. Make him look different, don't do ugly CGI suits, make him a badass, and it will be fine. Since he won't be headlining his own movie anytime soon, what would be the problem in having him in Justice League? If people like him, he might get a solo.

How many people even know who Hal Jordan is outside of comic book fandom? GL bombed. Most people wouldn't be able to tell him apart from Alpha Male #2323. Use him again, they won't know if it's the same guy or someone else as long as he is not played by Ryan Reynolds. Since that's not going to happen, people will see that it's a "different" GL and, as long as he's cool and awesome (that thing Snyder does in his sleep) they won't mind him. Make him look different, don't do ugly CGI suits, make him a badass, and it will be fine. Since he won't be headlining his own movie anytime soon, what would be the problem in having him in Justice League? If people like him, he might get a solo.

You are making too much sense.

I'm not really familiar with much of Theroux's work, aside from Charlies' Angels 2 and that flick with Paul Rudd and Jennifer Anniston.

Actually, crap, I just remembered my number 1 pick for Hal.....Karl Urban !

(and I'm not just saying that because I live in New Zealand).

I reckon Urban could nail it.

But Hal is the most popular GL, and IMO the most important, Guy, John and Kyle, should be supporting characters but nonetheless still important characters.

All of them have origins predicated on Hal, and Jordan was always around to give them the rub of his established popularity. Even when Kyle was "the last", Jordan still periodically appeared as Parallax and the Spectre to give Kyle the old school popularity bump.

Stick to source material where it has merit and has not been preserved merely to pacify a few elderly readers.

There are richer pastures for CBMs nowadays.

Source material means a story/characters that have already worked. The more a studio meddles, the greater the risk of ruining the original magic.

"where it has merit" :hehe:

you've never read Geoff Johns' Green Lantern run. That run is the reason to do a Green Lantern movie.

It's no coincidence that GL got a movie, a TV 'toon, and 2 DVD movies after Geoff took over. Not everyone liked some of his last efforts like WOTGLs, but there has been a direct correlation between Johns leaving and the Lanternverse book sales diminishing.

Source material means a story/characters that have already worked. The more a studio meddles, the greater the risk of ruining the original magic.

I have been reading comics for long enough to know that they don't always "work". They are frequently terrible. They are not widely read, however, and they don't carry anything like the financial risk that a huge movie does, so it doesn't matter.

I have been reading comics for long enough to know that they don't always "work". They are frequently terrible. They are not widely read, however, and they don't carry anything like the financial risk that a huge movie does, so it doesn't matter.

They're the reason the movies exist in the first place. Comics that get read and reprinted again and again for new generations obviously do work, so your assertion that they are "frequently terrible" is perplexing, especially from a comic book fan. The worst comic adaptations are the ones that stray the furthest from the stories that made them cultural staples.

If that were the case, then you must believe that only conservative recensions of the first few comics are of any value.

And most comics are terrible. At their best, they tell short, thoughtful stories with an economy of exposition permitted by the reuse of familiar characters. At their worst, they are bloated, plodding, over-reverential soap operas that regurgitate the familiar while teasing something novel that is never really delivered. Most DC titles are now like that, because they are all designed to hover somewhere between the next "event" and the next "reboot", meaning that the old elements can merely be recooked without much innovation, since morbid curiosity will entice fans to see what's going on. Frankly, I think they're a waste of paper.

The 5% of comics that are good make the habit worthwhile, however.

KStdPeU.gif

seriously dude ^ You're a complete downer....

All of them have origins predicated on Hal, and Jordan was always around to give them the rub of his established popularity. Even when Kyle was "the last", Jordan still periodically appeared as Parallax and the Spectre to give Kyle the old school popularity bump.

It's no coincidence that GL got a movie, a TV 'toon, and 2 DVD movies after Geoff took over. Not everyone liked some of his last efforts like WOTGLs, but there has been a direct correlation between Johns leaving and the Lanternverse book sales diminishing.

Yeah it really says something that all the earth GL's are directly tied to Hal Jordan. He's the one that clearly needs to be used first. Unless they completely throw the source material out the window like some weird people want....but really if they're going to do that, what the hell is the point of adapting this? The point in adapting comics is the idea that there is stuff already there that would be ripe for adapting into live action. I believe there is plenty of GL material that already exists that would be perfect for a film series.

I also agree that Johns' take revitalized the character in a major way. One can't deny the effect Johns has had on the character. He's undeniably one of the most important writers to ever work on the character. And a film series will surely follow his run closely.

I love Kyle Rayner, but come on, his story shouldn't be told first. That's so obvious. Hal's story needs to be told, and then they can introduce Kyle organically after.

People keep suggesting an amalgamation of Hal and their favorite character, and that's stupid. If you have to amalgamate a character with Hal in order for them to work, then you should just use Hal, who doesn't have to be combined with another character in order to work.

I don't think it's an amalgamation if they don't act like Hal at all. Daredevil didn't become amalgamated w/Spidey when the Kingpin became a Daredevil villain. Too much emotion in this thread recently
Spoken like a true non comic book fan. They should only change what is absolutely necessary. With this line of thinking Superman would have an all black costume in order to maximize appeal.
Nah. You might have missed the
They could use any of the other Lanterns, and no-one significant would care. As the character is not particularly popular,
part. Unlike Hal, Supes IS particularly popular so that line of thinking obviously wouldn't apply to Supes.
ЯɘvlveR;29636427 said:
I think whatever lantern they use should have a variety of masks. on another planet a domino mask isn't so bad, but on earth it's kind of dumb, as are john stewart's green/white/whatever colored irises.
This may be the 1st time I've ever heard that. John's glowing green eyes are far cooler than ANY GL mask IMO. They'd easily work in live action.
Stewart is the modern popular version of GL, no matter what... he stole some of Hal's thunder
Pretty much, but I'd say GL never had any thunder until John on JL/JLU. It's why they were able to choose somebody that hadn't really been given the GL spotlight before & get away w/it. The guy who they'd tried to promote before never really worked out too great outside of comics. Few things are easier than replacing an easily replaceable character. Cool to see JLU still on the air & always popular on Netflix.
Anyone with even a basic appreciation for the Green Lantern outside of JL TAS would recognize that Hal is the best character to build a solo franchise out of.

The vast majority of John Stewart supporters are VERY casual fans that are only familiar with Green Lantern from the JL Animated Series.

The real fans prefer Hal Jordan, the casual/lazy fans of only one piece of media prefer John Stewart. What does that say? It says that when people actually take the time to get to know the character better outside of one piece of media, that they prefer Hal to John.

If given the chance, the general public will prefer Hal Jordan to John Stewart.
Nah. It says something you yourself have alluded to in the past IIRC. DC hasn't really gotten behind John the way they have Hal. Ever. It's almost like they don't want people to like him. They seem to wanna condition readers to love Hal above all else. Hell, John'd be DEAD right now if the fans hadn't found out their plan & got angry about it. The fact that he has any comic fans at all is a miracle. And that's not to say that he(or any GL that's not Hal) has been promoted fairly outside the comics either. John got one chance (& it still tops the numerous chances Hal's gotten over the decades) whereas Hal has been featured outside of comics A LOT. John's done more w/A LOT less. Just imagine if DC really got behind John in the comics. Wouldn't surprise me if he overtook Hal there too.

Oh, for cryin' out loud. First people whined about the trunks on Superman and Batman, and now people want to get rid of GL's mask, too? You got your wish about the trunks, how about you leave the mask alone. Getting sick of this "everything must have a logical reason" garbage.
Go away.

Oh, for cryin' out loud. First people whined about the trunks on Superman and Batman, and now people want to get rid of GL's mask, too? You got your wish about the trunks, how about you leave the mask alone. Getting sick of this "everything must have a logical reason" garbage.
Go away.

I agree, but the tone of the universe, and by that I mean the tone of MoS, encourages this kind of thought.

If that were the case, then you must believe that only conservative recensions of the first few comics are of any value.

And most comics are terrible. At their best, they tell short, thoughtful stories with an economy of exposition permitted by the reuse of familiar characters. At their worst, they are bloated, plodding, over-reverential soap operas that regurgitate the familiar while teasing something novel that is never really delivered. Most DC titles are now like that, because they are all designed to hover somewhere between the next "event" and the next "reboot", meaning that the old elements can merely be recooked without much innovation, since morbid curiosity will entice fans to see what's going on. Frankly, I think they're a waste of paper.

The 5% of comics that are good make the habit worthwhile, however.

Wow...I'm shocked that a comic book fan has such a low opinion of the medium. Although the reader has the accept the eventual return to the status quo via the nature of the business, what happens in between can be truly sublime.

Comics are the modern incarnation of the pantheon. They're direct descendants of the morality tales of the heavens. Comics are proof that humans still like to explore the outer margins of their imaginations even in a time where polytheism is mostly a thing of the past. They have endured because they showcase our highest aspirations and our worst fears.

KStdPeU.gif

seriously dude ^ You're a complete downer....

I love Kyle Rayner, but come on, his story shouldn't be told first. That's so obvious. Hal's story needs to be told, and then they can introduce Kyle organically after.

People keep suggesting an amalgamation of Hal and their favorite character, and that's stupid. If you have to amalgamate a character with Hal in order for them to work, then you should just use Hal, who doesn't have to be combined with another character in order to work.

Co-signed on the gif--:woot:.

As a Kyle mark, I completely agree that his story shouldn't be told first. That would necessitate WB re-writing his origin, which would surely be a fiasco.

DC hasn't really gotten behind John the way they have Hal. Ever. It's almost like they don't want people to like him. They seem to wanna condition readers to love Hal above all else. .

Each of the Lanterns has had their own title for awhile, and they sell roughly 50% of Hal's book. While each has pockets of ardent support, Hal is still the tent pole of the franchise.

Well Kyle is the GL I was introduced to and not Hal Jordan. When I stared reading GL is was Rayner so I like him the best. However I can see the need for Jordan to come first so I would be alright with him.

Now from a studio standpoint they will more then likely want and if their is a GL on the team it will be Stewart. Their are a few factors as to why I think the execs will want Stewart. He was the GL used in the popular JL cartoon, obviously they will want diversity on the team and not a bunch of white guys. Secondly and I think the most important is the mess and flop of the movie that was GL.

You guys may think it's easy to ignore and that people won't remember but execs will see it as a bad omen and not want to risk any financial fall out no matter how small. Their thinking will be "people will remember the awful GL film and we can't take the chance of the demos thinking the new JL film is from the same people behind GL or are connected to the new movie in some way" so no I don't think and also feel that it's a strong possibility that Jordan will not be used. This is also the exec thinking as to the reason Routh was replaced as Superman with Cavill. Routh was a good Superman but the studio didn't want any connection what so ever with the Singer film and sadly Routh suffered for it career wise.

Last edited:
Go away.
Batman hasn't ever had trunks in any modern live action film, why are you talking about his lack of trunks like it is a recent thing?

Superman's trunks look good in the comics and cartoons but a bit silly in live action. Good riddance I say. Hal's mask is just fine with me, I don't get the complaints about it.

Batman hasn't ever had trunks in any modern live action film, why are you talking about his lack of trunks like it is a recent thing?

Superman's trunks look good in the comics and cartoons but a bit silly in live action. Good riddance I say. Hal's mask is just fine with me, I don't get the complaints about it.

Forget about the trunks. My point was leave GL's mask alone, and tha tit would be nice to have at least one aspect of one comic book hero's costume be like it is in the comics. You know, where all this stuff started?

I can't forget about the trunks especially when I consider your last line.

Movies aren't comics so if you are expecting 100% translation to the big screen you're expectations are seriously out of whack. The vast majority just do not perfectly translate. Period.

I can't forget about the trunks especially when I consider your last line.

Movies aren't comics so if you are expecting 100% translation to the big screen you're expectations are seriously out of whack. The vast majority just do not perfectly translate. Period.

So true :up:

I mean lets be honest, a more literal comic book adaption of the Superman suit was basically done already with the Reeve movies, and Lois and Clark 90's show. The Lois and Clark superman costume had no padding and was pure tights with the trunks. This is what traditionalists say they want right? Well look at it now.

gFbn.gif

Seeing the MOS suit looking so good, really makes me see how trunks just don't work in live action as well.

gFbr.gif

The argument will be made that it is a tv series vs movie. Sorry but if you go spandex, no padding, and trunks to match the comic books... the Lois/Clark suit is what you get folks, and it doesn't hold up against the MOS one very well.

Ok the belt doesn't look so good and cape attachment is questionable, otherwise I think the L&C Superman suit looks pretty decent. Of course the much more expensive and nicer materials of the MOS suit looks better though :confused:

I agree the trunks are gone for good! it's time to move on

Not the first time I've seen him take a dig at L&C though :o Come on, seasons 1 and 2 are very good. It wasn't Superman centric (hence the title) but kudos to Dean Cain for a great modern version of Clark!

05CWF8D.jpg

SUzQVUR.jpg

LjU2Nwt.jpg

I don't think the original costume was that bad. It was overly CGI'd but they had the right idea. This time the suit should be a mixture of a practical suit and less CGI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"