Deadpool 2 Who do you want to see direct Deadpool 2?

Thinking about directors who would've been perfect for Deadpool, if I could hop in my DeLorean and go back 30 years to when he was at the height of his powers, I'd choose Alex Cox. Oh what a match that would've been.

Alex Cox still does movies.
Probably still has it in him if even tasked to.

Oh sure, I don't want to put the guy out to pasture, but 30 years ago was prime Alex Cox. You would have wanted Spielberg to direct Spider-Man in the 80's or Michael Mann for Batman in the 90's, etc. Michael Mann just made better films twenty years ago while Spielberg and Cox had more vitality, a more youthful exuberance to their work then they do now.

Now that I think of it, Cox would've been great for Suicide Squad as well.

Last edited:
Thinking about directors who would've been perfect for Deadpool, if I could hop in my DeLorean and go back 30 years to when he was at the height of his powers, I'd choose Alex Cox. Oh what a match that would've been.

If I had a time machine I'd rather hire someone like John McTiernan, Richard Donner or Paul Verhoeven (and by the way, Tim Miller's realistic - yet stylish - visual style is a throwback to those old school action movies and directors, and one of the reasons I loved his direction for the movie so much).

my top 5 contenders:

Matthew Vaughn(Kingsman,Kick Ass)
Edgar Wright(Scott Pilgrim vs The World)
Adam McKay(The Other Guys)
Joe Cornish(Attack The Block)
Shane Black(The Nice Guys)

Darkhorse - Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg(This Is The End,Preacher)

I think there's a small chance Wright could do Deadpool 2. I think he and Reynolds are friends, and Wright might be looking to get back into the blockbuster business. Deadpool 2 would be a good opportunity for him.

If I had a time machine I'd rather hire someone like John McTiernan, Richard Donner or Paul Verhoeven (and by the way, Tim Miller's realistic - yet stylish - visual style is a throwback to those old school action movies and directors, and one of the reasons I loved his direction for the movie so much).

Bring back Walter Hill as well.

I think there's a small chance Wright could do Deadpool 2. I think he and Reynolds are friends, and Wright might be looking to get back into the blockbuster business. Deadpool 2 would be a good opportunity for him.

Well, it seems like he's friends with Tim Miller, too. I don't think he'd jump in to do it. Especially if he couldn't make the movie his own.

I had also thought about Seth Rogen & Evan Goldberg and Adam McKay.

And as much as I love (LOVE!) Shane Black, he's busy with The Predator. Won't happen.

Bring back Walter Hill as well.

Oh, absolutely! How could I forget him!?

How about Chad Stahelski and David Leitch, directors of John Wick.

Sure, if the merc supersedes the mouth.

Sure, if the merc supersedes the mouth.

Not really. Who tells you those two can't do comedy? It's not like Tim Miller's previously directed animated shorts were comedies. We'd be bless with David Leitch and Chad Stahelski helming Deadpool 2.

But unfortunately Leitch is on post-production withThe Coldest City, while Stahelski is finishing John Wick: Chapter 2, so I don't know if and how the movie could fit into their (or anyone's) schedule.

I'm really worried about Jeff Wadlow taking over the helm. He and Ryan Reynolds were about to work together on The Hitman's Bodyguard (now directed by The Expendables 3's Patrick Hughes) and Wadlow was attached to X-Force for a long time. I don't want him anywhere near Deadpool: Kick-Ass 2 was completely tone-deaf and lacked any hint of charme and his other flicks are equally mediocre.

All those names brought up by Sneider are very good.

I'd like Fox/Singer to try and scoop up McQuarrie for a flagship X-Men film, but other than that, I think many people here would be satisfied with the majority of people on that list being selected. Jonathan Levine/Fede Alvarez in particular.

All those names brought up by Sneider are very good.

I'd like Fox/Singer to try and scoop up McQuarrie for a flagship X-Men film, but other than that, I think many people here would be satisfied with the majority of people on that list being selected. Jonathan Levine/Fede Alvarez in particular.

After Jack Reacher, I'd actually like home more on something as gritty as Deadpool. I think he would be a very good fit, and I'd love to see him go crazy with the comedy.

But it's not gonna happen. The man is busy with Mission Impossible 6. My other favorite picks among that list are:

- Joe Cornish
- Fede Alvarez
- Adam Wingard
- Chris McKay
- Rupert Wyatt
- Dan Trachtenberg (fresh off a movie starry Mary Elizabeth Winstead... just sayin')
- Alex Garland
- Jeremy Saulnier

Seth MacFarlane.

I honestly think he and Reynolds would make one hell of a Deadpool movie.

Seth MacFarlane.

I honestly think he and Reynolds would make one hell of a Deadpool movie.

I like Seth McFarlane, but... no.

Deadpool isn't a full-blown comedy or spoof. You need someone who can really deliver the more serious aspects of the character and who can build up action and tension, and deliver.

After Jack Reacher, I'd actually like home more on something as gritty as Deadpool. I think he would be a very good fit, and I'd love to see him go crazy with the comedy.

But it's not gonna happen. The man is busy with Mission Impossible 6. My other favorite picks among that list are:

- Joe Cornish
- Fede Alvarez
- Adam Wingard
- Chris McKay
- Rupert Wyatt
- Dan Trachtenberg (fresh off a movie starry Mary Elizabeth Winstead... just sayin')
- Alex Garland
- Jeremy Saulnier
Dan Trachtenberg was my personal pick for Deadpool. I feel like he could deliver a pretty gritty X-Force flick down the line too, judging by his Portal short and 10 Cloverfield Lane. But any of those could be an excellent and satisfying choice.

Dan Trachtenberg was my personal pick for Deadpool. I feel like he could deliver a pretty gritty X-Force flick down the line too, judging by his Portal short and 10 Cloverfield Lane. But any of those could be an excellent and satisfying choice.

Yeah, I agree. Let's just hope names such as Jeff Wadlow won't start popping up.

I'm really worried about the possible names that could come up.

Not really. Who tells you those two can't do comedy? It's not like Tim Miller's previously directed animated shorts were comedies. We'd be bless with David Leitch and Chad Stahelski helming Deadpool 2.

But unfortunately Leitch is on post-production withThe Coldest City, while Stahelski is finishing John Wick: Chapter 2, so I don't know if and how the movie could fit into their (or anyone's) schedule.

I'm really worried about Jeff Wadlow taking over the helm. He and Ryan Reynolds were about to work together on The Hitman's Bodyguard (now directed by The Expendables 3's Patrick Hughes) and Wadlow was attached to X-Force for a long time. I don't want him anywhere near Deadpool: Kick-Ass 2 was completely tone-deaf and lacked any hint of charme and his other flicks are equally mediocre.
Tim Miller at least has animation experience in the video game industry (overseeing more than grim-n-gritty projects) which set him apart from other action directors. Honestly, we should be coming up with a list of apt animated feature/cinematic/short directors.

I'm all for a better choreographed Deadpool sequel, but the comedy direction from two stunt veterans is most certainly iffy IF there isn't much to their resume on going zany let alone playing with that 4th wall.
Why I went with the Hardcore Henry director because:
1. He made a movie that had the experience of a very exhilarating video game
2. He got Sharlto Copley to rev up the movie's hilarity which was already present through some of the action

I disagree about Kick-Ass 2 lacking any charm, so I'll be fine if Wadlow gets the call considering he also did Never Back Down. Again, it's his direction that I genuinely enjoy.

----------------

More directors on the Ain't Happening List
Guy Ritchie
Stephen Chow

Forgot This Guy
Barry Battes (The Baytown Outlaws)

Maybe
Jason Krawczyk (He Never Died)

Last edited:
I disagree about Kick-Ass 2 lacking any charm, so I'll be fine if Wadlow gets the call considering he also did Never Back Down. Again, it's his direction that I genuinely enjoy.

Don't like either of those.

Just compare Kick-Ass 2 to the original. Matthew Vaughn's movie has that subtle cartoony atmosphere (it could almost be seen as a twisted take on the Fleischer cartoons), which gives it a certain charme, and sucks you into the movie's world. It helps make the nasty humor and violence really fun. The characters being sympathetic helps a lot.

The sequel, on the other hand, is completely dull and tone-deaf. The script is all over the place, and lacks a firm focus and point of few. The movie tries to be edgy and irriverent, but ultimately just ends up trying too hard. Gone is the playful cartoony undertone, which gave the original movie that specific charme and tone. Things are played too straight when they shouldn't, and the comedy often misses the point. I felt like a bystander on something I have nothing to do with and don't care about when I watched the movie.

Directors do NOT only point cameras and tell the actors what to do, but Jeff Wadlow lacks vision to the point where it feels like that's all he does.

I don't often use this definition for directors, but I truly think that Jeff Wadlow is a hack! Very unimaginative fella.

Last edited:
Don't like either of those.

Just compare Kick-Ass 2 to the original. Matthew Vaughn's movie has that subtle cartoony atmosphere (it could almost be seen as a twisted take on the Fleischer cartoons), which gives it a certain charme, and sucks you into the movie's world. It helps make the nasty humor and violence really fun. The characters being sympathetic helps a lot.
I compare them whenever it comes up. The first movie, even this franchise really, being the "Superbad" of cbm's, so not quite sure where you're getting this subtle cartoony/twisted take on Fleischer cartoons. The nasty humor was fun because of good writing and the level of absurdity to the violence was fun because of his slick direction as it pertains to Big Daddy & Hit-Girl. That said, it's an enjoyably decent movie overall and one of Vaughn's weaker films.
The sequel, on the other hand, is completely dull and tone-deaf. The script is all over the place, and lacks a firm focus and point of view. The movie tries to be edgy and irriverent, but ultimately just ends up trying too hard. Gone is the playful cartoony undertone, which gave the original movie that specific charme and tone. Things are played too straight when they shouldn't, and the comedy often misses the point. I felt like a bystander on something I have nothing to do with and don't care about when I watched the movie.
Wadlow would have made the sequel better if he hadn't added/focused so much on this Hit-Girl subplot (we clearly wanted more of her, but not like this) which took away from all the new & interesting characters.
That clip TheVileOne just posted is among many moments why I ended up liking the film even with its shortcomings plot-wise. If Wadlow ends up directing, writing some of the banter between characters is as far I'd like to see him take credit for if he's remotely involved with the screenplay.

Directors do NOT only point cameras and tell the actors what to do, but Jeff Wadlow lacks vision to the point where it feels like that's all he does.

I don't often use this definition for directors, but I truly think that Jeff Wadlow is a hack! Very unimaginative fella.
Agree to disagree, obviously.
He overstuffed the sequel, without question.
His more straight-forward take on Kick-Ass (thought it was supposed to be this grounded story of street heroes) got me to want to know more about the newer additions, made me more invested in the comedy, fleshed out the world, and was contrasted by the villains enough to be as outlandish as I like em'.
Never Back Down is one of those classic martial arts flicks I keep going back to because of how much I enjoyed the main stars (the lead, the mentor, the comic relief, the villain) and the action.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"