Who is looking forward to this?

When you say "Avatar" DBZ2cool do you mean James Cameron's "Avatar" that has nothing to do with the Nickelodeon show of the same name and the story plot revolves around a paralyzed former marine who undergoes an experiment to exist as an avatar, another version of himself an alien that is 10 feet (three meters) tall and blue. Or are you talking about the cartoon to live action adaptation of "Avatar: The Last Airbender" (The title was changed to simply "The Last Airbender" because of legal reasons with James Cameron's "Avatar") that will be directed by M.Night Shyamalan?

When you say "Avatar" DBZ2cool do you mean James Cameron's "Avatar" that has nothing to do with the Nickelodeon show of the same name and the story plot revolves around a paralyzed former marine who undergoes an experiment to exist as an avatar, another version of himself an alien that is 10 feet (three meters) tall and blue. Or are you talking about the cartoon to live action adaptation of "Avatar: The Last Airbender" (The title was changed to simply "The Last Airbender" because of legal reasons with James Cameron's "Avatar") that will be directed by M.Night Shyamalan?

James Cameron's AVATAR.

I don't care about the other avatar. For me there is only 1 anime franchise and that is Dragonball.

If fox is good at one thing, its promotion. Jumper grabbed 80 million domestically, and 240 world wide. Jumper was based on a novel hardly anyone read, or even heard of. You honestly believe DB will do worse with even a bigger budget?
Yeah. Most Independent films never get very much attention, but fox promoted Juno, and Napolean Dynamite, and 28 days later, and super troopers so much that they've become great hits among general audiences.

When I look back on anything in the DragonBall stories, it seems like a waste of time, all of that could (and was) explained in a few flashbacks in DBZ, it's not that important. The story REALLY begins when Raditz lands on Earth. Anybody else agree?

Plus, I mentioned my reasons for not liking Chatwin. He's not smiling. Harsh, I know, but he also sucked in The Invisible. Really sucks. Hard. Sucks real hard. Goku would smile.

Yeah, I started off watching DBZ as a kid, and it pretty much explained all we needed to know. In fact, when I went back to DB after watching through DBZ, I was kinda bored by it.

I bet 20 outta 50 would know who Goku is

I don't know about that. I'm sure they will be like the Transformers audience, which consisted of big groups of people who had heard of Optimus Prime, and as soon as they heard his name cheered, but only very few actually knew who he was. At the mention of Goku's name in the theater, you will probably find yourself surrounded by people screaming "go Super saiyan!" or just cheering for simple fact that they know one small detail.

I'll definitely see this in theaters no matter how the trailers make me feel. I went into Transformers knowing it would be bad, and it turned out worse than I expected, but out of loyalty to the series, I gave it a chance.

James Cameron's AVATAR.

I don't care about the other avatar. For me there is only 1 anime franchise and that is Dragonball.

I'm not going to point out how close-minded that sounds, but I will say avatar is made in america.

I'll definitely see this in theaters no matter how the trailers make me feel. I went into Transformers knowing it would be bad, and it turned out worse than I expected, but out of loyalty to the series, I gave it a chance.

i like that attitude
icon14.gif

btw, i think transformers is a good movie. entertaining to say the least
i don't remember much from the anime so i couldn't compare the movie with it

I'll be seeing this midnight showing.. Friday night, the following Saturday.. Oh yeah. At least 4 times in theaters. :o

I'll be seeing this midnight showing.. Friday night, the following Saturday.. Oh yeah. At least 4 times in theaters. :o
I'll be seeing it at least 5 times! Hah! Beat you.

LOL. I say 4 because that's the most I've seen a movie in theaters. :p

Let me put it by saying I’d like to look forward to this movie but can’t invest much trust in James Wong. There is no magic spell waiting to be unlocked from the Dragonball mythos that will make its liberator all of a sudden into the next Martin Scorsese.

Well lest see here:

They americanized a movie that was supposed to have no real connections to america. There were a couple characters that were American, but overall they should have had an asian cast.

Also, the removal of some characters and the twisting of storylines and events is just gonna ruin it imo. I heard that the synopsis is something along the lines of Goku training with Roshi in order to build a better person out of himself, and then piccolo comes and kills roshi and goku seeks revenge.......yea then.

Well lest see here:

They americanized a movie that was supposed to have no real connections to america. There were a couple characters that were American, but overall they should have had an asian cast.

Also, the removal of some characters and the twisting of storylines and events is just gonna ruin it imo. I heard that the synopsis is something along the lines of Goku training with Roshi in order to build a better person out of himself, and then piccolo comes and kills roshi and goku seeks revenge.......yea then.
Wow that synopsis is absolutely wrong. I'd be mad too if that was the case.

Actually there is no official plot synopsis...they are keeping the story under wraps.

Yeah, I started off watching DBZ as a kid, and it pretty much explained all we needed to know. In fact, when I went back to DB after watching through DBZ, I was kinda bored by it.

Yeah. It's not hard to IMAGINE DragonBall Z being adapted into a really tight script and explaining everything really easily. And yeah, if you do go back and watch little kid Goku in regular ol' DragonBall, IT'S BORING, thank you. But everybody's saying that they need to explain who Piccolo is and who Goku is and who Yamcha is and all this other crap, but no one can picture a good script for DBZ being able to explain all of this while still going right to the Saiyan Saga, where DragonBall started to get GOOD.

Suggestive Comedy and actual adventure > 20 episode long fight

Kame-sennin's perverted antics > exclusion of Kame-sennin's perverted antics

Dragonball > Dragonball Z

In my opinion, Dragonball Z just dragged on too damn much when it should've gotten to the point faster. Dragonball didn't start dragging on until the end when he grew up and started fighting Piccolo in the Budokai Tenkaichi. But even that was better than Goku taking 20 episodes to kill off Frieza. Dragonball Z had great stories and twists, what killed it for most haters and probably former fans was that it just dragged on and on and on. The Dragonball/Z/GT series is still quite popular in Japan, very in fact.

First of all, a movie version of DragonBall Z wouldn't have to be 900 minutes long, all those old episodes were FILLER. If they're doing a live-action adaptation, they can cut right to the action. The movie could get to the point very fast.

Second of all, all the hilarious suggestive comedy would still be there, plus there would be no 20 episode fights. Mr. Roshi's pervertedness would be in there (and I'm pretty sure it was also in DragonBall Z, where it served as comedic relief when things got freaking intense/epic.)

And thirdly of all, DragonBall Z is on a whole 'nother level compared to DragonBall. No contest.

First of all, a movie version of DragonBall Z wouldn't have to be 900 minutes long, all those old episodes were FILLER. If they're doing a live-action adaptation, they can cut right to the action. The movie could get to the point very fast.

Second of all, all the hilarious suggestive comedy would still be there, plus there would be no 20 episode fights. Mr. Roshi's pervertedness would be in there (and I'm pretty sure it was also in DragonBall Z, where it served as comedic relief when things got freaking intense/epic.)

And thirdly of all, DragonBall Z is on a whole 'nother level compared to DragonBall. No contest.

First of all, I was talking about the show, not the possible movie.

Second of all, Kame-sennin was rarely shown at all in DBZ, and not all times did they have him up to his usual antics. Not a big deal, I realize DBZ was a lot more serious than DB, but it wouldn't hurt to have it more often. Most of DBZ seemed to abandon everyone and focus purely on Saiya-jin when the characters I grew up with were tossed aside [Besides Goku of course].

Lastly, you're right, and that is where we differ.

First of all, I was talking about the show, not the possible movie.

Second of all, Kame-sennin was rarely shown at all in DBZ, and not all times did they have him up to his usual antics. Not a big deal, I realize DBZ was a lot more serious than DB, but it wouldn't hurt to have it more often. Most of DBZ seemed to abandon everyone and focus purely on Saiya-jin when the characters I grew up with were tossed aside [Besides Goku of course].

Lastly, you're right, and that is where we differ.

I have higher expectations for this movie than any movie ever, even Spider-Man because that came out at a time when I didn't really know what was possible in a special-effects heavy movie. The reason for such high expectations is because I'm been carrying my ideal "possible movie", like you said, since I first saw DBZ, and even more so after collecting the show on dvd.

I know how great this could be, and it breaks my heart that that's not what they're doing. Even though it's an adaptation, I understand certain changes have to be made, but I'm still disappointed.

You like DragonBall, that's cool, I like DragonBall Z, that's cool. But I just think that a movie more heavily focused on the latter would have been a better choice. Money-wise, building a franchise-wise, and originality-wise. But we'll see in the end.

dragonball z was more focused on fighting then finding the dragonballs so it kinda make no sense of the name
but stil dragonballs are involved
dragonball gt was all about dragonballs
and i kinde hope they keep the dragonball spirit in it but i think they will becouse they dont go further then frieza saga

I have higher expectations for this movie than any movie ever, even Spider-Man because that came out at a time when I didn't really know what was possible in a special-effects heavy movie. The reason for such high expectations is because I'm been carrying my ideal "possible movie", like you said, since I first saw DBZ, and even more so after collecting the show on dvd.

I know how great this could be, and it breaks my heart that that's not what they're doing. Even though it's an adaptation, I understand certain changes have to be made, but I'm still disappointed.

You like DragonBall, that's cool, I like DragonBall Z, that's cool. But I just think that a movie more heavily focused on the latter would have been a better choice. Money-wise, building a franchise-wise, and originality-wise. But we'll see in the end.

i love both db and dbz, but prefer dbz by far
but im not sure moneywise it would be better to make a dbz movie, rather than a dragonball movie. it would be better for fans, since most fans prefer dbz, but i think making the first one about dragonball will catch more non fans attention than making it dbz.

btw, i still think this can be really great, and the sequels (dbz) even greater

I am getting more and more conflicted about this movie. When I first heard that it was really being made for real, I was in agreement with most of the population of Earth saying that it's a bad idea. For the most part, I still feel that way.

But today, I was looking at some of the newest shots of the cast in costume, and while thinking about it still makes my stomach turn, something about those shots brought a smile to my face...

I may know for sure once they release shots of Marsters as Piccolo.

I am getting more and more conflicted about this movie. When I first heard that it was really being made for real, I was in agreement with most of the population of Earth saying that it's a bad idea. For the most part, I still feel that way.

But today, I was looking at some of the newest shots of the cast in costume, and while thinking about it still makes my stomach turn, something about those shots brought a smile to my face...

I may know for sure once they release shots of Marsters as Piccolo.

why did you think it was a bad idea in the first place? just curious, not trying to start an argument

why did you think it was a bad idea in the first place? just curious, not trying to start an argument

Good question. I believe it's one of those stories that is already in its best medium. I've never watched an episode of the DB or DBZ and thought "Wow, this would be so awesome as a movie." Never. There's just too many things there that are great in animation but would look wrong in live action.

There's other reasons that I still haven't articulated, but its a start. Every time there's a piece of news out on this flik, most of the comments, even the ones with something positive, will say "this movie's still gonna suck" or "too bad the movie's gonna suk"

Marsters as Piccolo will be the defining point for a lot of people.

Good question. I believe it's one of those stories that is already in its best medium. I've never watched an episode of the DB or DBZ and thought "Wow, this would be so awesome as a movie." Never. There's just too many things there that are great in animation but would look wrong in live action.

There's other reasons that I still haven't articulated, but its a start. Every time there's a piece of news out on this flik, most of the comments, even the ones with something positive, will say "this movie's still gonna suck" or "too bad the movie's gonna suk"

its cool, i agree its on its best medium already, but i always felt different from you, i´ve been feeling for a few years like "wow, it would be so amazing to have a dbz movie with real people". mainly after watching the matrix movies, those made me believe it could be possible technology wise
i agree though, there´s things that wouldn´t work in live action, that´s why im glad they are making some changes

Marsters as Piccolo will be the defining point for a lot of people.

i think most of the fans that are complaining right now will see it no matter what, even if they dislike piccolo´s look, if the trailers show its a good movie, just for the fact its dragonball, most of the fans will still go

i personally expect marsters to be the best performance of the movie, from what we´ve heard from him. i seriously never heard an actor have that much passion for a role

The only worry I have is that this film will not sell as well as something like Iron Man or Spider-man because I personally can't imagine parents / elderly / anyone older than 40 going to see this without being dragged by their kids.

Many adults were attracted to Super-hero films because these characters have been around since the 60s or earlier and they are American icons. Or they have many older fans that hype it up and get others to go.

Dragonball, being relatively young from the 80s isn't going to attract the older crowd. The only thing that can bring the older crowd in is to make the trailers awesome and have spectacular epic scenes that will draw people in without looking too cheesy (see speedracer).

The only worry I have is that this film will not sell as well as something like Iron Man or Spider-man because I personally can't imagine parents / elderly / anyone older than 40 going to see this without being dragged by their kids.

Many adults were attracted to Super-hero films because these characters have been around since the 60s or earlier and they are American icons. Or they have many older fans that hype it up and get others to go.

Dragonball, being relatively young from the 80s isn't going to attract the older crowd. The only thing that can bring the older crowd in is to make the trailers awesome and have spectacular epic scenes that will draw people in without looking too cheesy (see speedracer).

if the movie is as good as i think it will, and the trailers are mind blowing, i don´t see a reason why it won´t sell as much as those movies
speed racer is a proof of how important the trailers and critics are
though i didn't see speed racer because i hated the trailers, it might be a good movie, but it failed badly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"