The Winter Soldier Who is the main villain in this film?

The Overlord

Superhero
Reaction score
We have had 3 villains confirmed so far, Arnim Zola, Batroc and Crossbones. But who do you think is the main villain? Batroc and Crossbones are more followers then leaders in the comics. Zola has sometimes has been a follower and other times has been a leader.

So do think Zola is the main villain or do you think there is a mysterious villain controlling things from the shadows, like Red Skull or Baron Zemo?

This is not a spoiler, this is PURE SPECULATION WITH NO GROUNDING IN ANY EVIDENCE, so don't worry about this giving anything away....

I think Robert Redford is the villain.

In the original "Winter Soldier" storyline of the comics, the Big Bad was revealed to be a senior Russian intelligence agent who was secretly being possessed by the consciousness of the Red Skull. My theory is that Redford's senior S.H.I.E.L.D agent is the substitute for this character. They even have similar names: Alexander Pierce/Alexander Lukin. While being literally possessed by the Red Skull could be a touch too comic-booky for the film, I wouldn't be surprised to see some symbolic nod to that idea by having him be some kind of Red Skull follower.

We have had 3 villains confirmed so far, Arnim Zola, Batroc and Crossbones. But who do you think is the main villain? Batroc and Crossbones are more followers then leaders in the comics. Zola has sometimes has been a follower and other times has been a leader.

So do think Zola is the main villain or do you think there is a mysterious villain controlling things from the shadows, like Red Skull or Baron Zemo?

Don't forget the Winter Soldier! From the trailer, he apparently puts Fury in the hospital (I mean, he's only the subtitle... :doh:).

I'd guess Zola is probably the one who built WS's arm, but I'll be mildly surprised if he turns out to be the Big Bad. Batroc is probably a mostly-unrelated Act 1 villain, and Grillo has said this is largely an origin for Crossbones.

From the trailer, given the elevator fight, Falcon and Cap being chased by quinjets, and Redford's monologing, I think the "main" villain is likely SHIELD, or some subset thereof, led by Redford. This fits in with the theme of questioning what Cap's place is in the modern world. Whether or not Redford is someone else in disguise, and whether they are working with or against Zola, I'm not going to make a claim one way or the other.

OTOH, given all the misdirection in the IM3 trailer, I suppose anything's possible. Marvel's gotten pretty good about making you think a movie is one thing, and then surprising you.

Last edited:
Don't forget the Winter Soldier! From the trailer, he apparently puts Fury in the hospital (I mean, he's only the subtitle... :doh:).

I'm not counting him, considering how quickly he switched sides in the comics, he may not even be an antagonist after the first half of the movie.

I'm not counting him, considering how quickly he switched sides in the comics, he may not even be an antagonist after the first half of the movie.

I'm sure Winter Soldier will be seen as the "main villain" of the movie, and won't "snap out of it" and become good-guy Bucky again until the end of the film. In the meantime, the primary villain will likely be a group rather than a person --- a large infiltration of SHIELD by a terrorist organization who also happens to be Winter Soldier's handler. Brock Rumlow is more of a good guy in this movie, working with Cap and Widow. The Crossbones persona has been reported to emerge in future movies (AOU, most likely, according to rumors and reports). Batroc is likely a throwaway "prologue" villain who has no connection to the main storyline.

Winter Soldier will be the main antagonist. Yes, he's probably answering to someone else, likely Pierce, but its Steve fight against him that'll carry the most emotion.

Basically, Winter Soldier is Vader to someone else's Palpatine.

Winter Soldier will be the main antagonist. Yes, he's probably answering to someone else, likely Pierce, but its Steve fight against him that'll carry the most emotion.

Basically, Winter Soldier is Vader to someone else's Palpatine.

Except that's not what I'm asking about, I am asking about who would be Winter Soldier's boss, because I think that guy would be the Big Bad of the film, not Winter Solider:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BigBad

The guy pulling Winter Soldier's strings would the real mover of the plot, Bucky would be killing people on his behalf to further to his agenda, so that guy would be the main villain, not Bucky.

Except that's not what I'm asking about, I am asking about who would be Winter Soldier's boss, because I think that guy would be the Big Bad of the film, not Winter Solider:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BigBad

The guy pulling Winter Soldier's strings would the real mover of the plot, Bucky would be killing people on his behalf to further to his agenda, so that guy would be the main villain, not Bucky.

Thanos was the real mover of the plot in Avengers, but would that disqualify Loki from being the main villain?

The Audiences of course.... =P

Thanos was the real mover of the plot in Avengers, but would that disqualify Loki from being the main villain?

No, Thanos was the Bigger Bad in that film:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BiggerBad

Thanos was not directly responsible for the plot, he gave Loki support and resources, but Loki was the one who moved the plot forward.

Bucky is not the main villain, he would just be a pawn of the main villain, because if he is anything like his comic book counter part, he would be serving the agenda of another, not his own. Bucky may be the main physical threat in the movie, we can't be sure yet, but the villain with the plan that Bucky serve's would be the main villain, not Bucky, because he is just a pawn. That's is who I taking about, the real Big Bad of the film, the puppet master, not the puppet.

Yeah, I get what you're saying, but I think the 'big bad' and 'main villain' need not be the same thing.

Bucky is someone else's soldier, sure, he's not the shotcaller. I agree. But Cap vs. Winter Soldier is going to pack more emotional heft and provide more drama than Cap vs. Winter Soldier's boss.

lol no Bane was the henchmen who was good at speeches. An awesome one though to be fair.

I think it's Redford's character.

susposilly Pierce,sitwell and senator stern are all sleeper agents of Hydra

The Winter Soldier is a red herring. Crossbones is the main baddie I think.

I think Robert Redford is the villain.
I got that feeling too based on the first trailer. Funny enough, he played a Senator in Lions For Lambs so I love that he's a position of power again.

Redford's character is going to be a lizard person.

Redford's character is going to be a lizard person.

WHOA WHOA!!! SPOILERS!!!

Geez man, next thing you know you'll tell us
he's actually played by Jamie Foxx in a mask.

Seriously though, I'm thinking this movie will have as many antagonists as, and be very similar to TASM2.

Rhino = Batroc
Electro = Winter Soldier
Goblin = Crossbones
Norman Osbourne = Pierce
the man in the hat = Zola

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"