Who should direct VIII and IX?

A director for each film's my favorite choice, Spielberg should have directed Return of the Jedi

I'm hoping for Cuaron in VIII and Joseph Kosinski for IX. Tron Legacy may have been a meh movie (due to script problems) but nobody can deny that it was GORGEOUS. Give him a better writer and we could get a great movie from him (hopefully Oblivion will be great).

Last edited:
I'm hoping for Cuaron in VIII and Joseph Kosinski for IX. Tron Legacy may have been a meh movie (due to script problems) but nobody can deny that it was GORGEOUS. Give him a better writer and we could get a great movie from him (hopefully Oblivion will be great).

Leave Kosinski to the tron sequel that he is at work on. I.d much rather see berg or Nolan do a film after Cuaron. I think David Slade and Del Toro would be good for a spinoff series of underworld films

Leave Kosinski to the tron sequel that he is at work on. I.d much rather see berg or Nolan do a film after Cuaron. I think David Slade and Del Toro would be good for a spinoff series of underworld films

I'm not expecting that Tron sequel for a while. If not him though, I'd like to see Rian Johnson on the IX

I think it could very well end up in 2015. If not then, then 2016.

I'll just be happy to get it by 2020. Legacy was a bit dull in the middle but apart from that it was a lot of fun. And they better bring back Daft Punk. That score is not just the best part of the movie (apart from the CGI) but it's one of my favourite scores.

Last edited:
Berg and Nolan in the same sentence, both in a positive light. You see something new every day.

I agree. I don't think Kosinski is a polished enough director for Star Wars. He needs a few more movies under his belt because Tron Legacy had more than script problems, such as the uneven pacing.

Nooooo....Tarrantino yes, Rodriguez no.
No. Neither of them have any place in Star Wars lore. Their styles are better suited for other works.

I'd LOVE Cuaron to direct 8. Same with Cianfrance or Fincher. I REALLY want Peter Jackson for 9 though. He's a master of epic battles and fulfilling endings.

Cuaron and Blomkamp are cool possibilities, personally I'd recommend the non-obvious choice...you know, a director who's merely a skilled director overall with a few good films under their belt, not necessarily a director who's known for sci-fi movies or big budget movies or is a super established mainstream name yet. Essentially doing what Bond did with Mendes and Batman did with Nolan, you don't want the obvious Abrams and such. Sometimes it's not best to go with the directors who you think would make the best sci-fi film or action film, sometimes it's best to just go with the most skilled director available even if their previous films are say, noir and period dramas.

Brad Bird did recently state that he was approached for SW but had to decline in order to do Tomorrowland. But he certainly looked interested. Perhaps he'll be up for it in 2017?

Cuaron and Blomkamp are cool possibilities, personally I'd recommend the non-obvious choice...you know, a director who's merely a skilled director overall with a few good films under their belt, not necessarily a director who's known for sci-fi movies or big budget movies or is a super established mainstream name yet. Essentially doing what Bond did with Mendes and Batman did with Nolan, you don't want the obvious Abrams and such. Sometimes it's not best to go with the directors who you think would make the best sci-fi film or action film, sometimes it's best to just go with the most skilled director available even if their previous films are say, noir and period dramas.
You mean like Cianfrance?

idk if Abrams has plans to do all three. But someone like Peter Jackson, James Cameron, Ridley Scott... they'd have my support.

Abrams definitelly has plans to do all three but i sincerelly hope not, each Star Wars film should have its oun director, for Episode VIII i vote for Alfonso Cuarón, for Episode IX i suggest someone that can direct grand scale and climaxes.

From what I've read recently, I highly doubt JJ wants to do all three. I think he'll do one and produce the rest with Kennedy.

I'm not sure who I would want directing VIII and IX. I can say for sure though, that I think a lot of the (in my opinion) bizarre choices that I've seen in this thread like Blomkamp and Nolan (who isn't at all right for Star Wars, but whatevs) would probably be better suited to spin-offs where they would probably be afforded more creative freedom, and be able to put more of their own style into the movies.

I don't mind Joss giving rewrites but i'm not a big fan of him directing the film, but if he did then he would have to expand upon the number of locations and would have to make it seem more eventful than Serenity did.

I have issues with his blocking and shots, which gives his films a 'flat TV look'. Even with Ado About Nothing looked almost like a TV show in certain shots.

I still hope for my other two top picks for VIII and IX.

I hope for Alfonso for VIII, and Brad Bird for IX.

Peter Jackson needs to do one of them :)
I really want to see how he tackles a sci fi adventure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"