Who should direct VIII and IX?

As great a job as Abrams may do I hope he doesn't direct Episode IX. One of the great things about the OT for me was that each film had a different director with much of the same production team otherwise. It gave each movie a different vibe that I'd like to have with the sequel trilogy.

^ Yes, thirded. I'd also like the finale of each trilogy to have a darker flavour to it, and I've never seen Abrams do dark, really. Like seemingly everybody else, Cuaron is my dream choice for now.

I do agree it would be nice to have a different director for each. However on the flip side if JJ is indeed just killing it I'd say go for it. Even looking back at ROTJ I would have much rather had Kersh come back for that one over Richard.

Problem with Return of the Jedi wasn't the Director, it was mostly Lucas micromanaging stuff.

No some of it was Richard. There is lots of proof of that in the Rinzler book. Lucas did micromanage some, but a lot of the choices like the cinematographer was his doing if I remember correctly. But it was still because Richard was a rollover, he was a nobody talking with Lucas. Kersh was Lucas' mentor, so he would listen to Kersh. So in a sense Richard not standing up and saying "No" is as much his fault. Kersh would fight with Lucas and go against some of his wishes.

But again regardless of all the Lucas micromanaging, a lot of the decisions were made by Richard. Kersh was a much better director.

Last edited:
I do agree it would be nice to have a different director for each. However on the flip side if JJ is indeed just killing it I'd say go for it. Even looking back at ROTJ I would have much rather had Kersh come back for that one over Richard.

True, good point.

You're not exactly wrong there, but I think the principle still stands. I don't think anyone would've complained if Spielberg had directed it as was once considered. As a general rule if you can't get someone better than the others then you use the others.

Yes as a general rule you should. But my point is, (something I've been saying for a long time) some really look down on too much on JJ. I'm jacked that Rian is doing VIII he has so much potential, but he has so much more to prove than JJ. Since the OT of Indy and SW there is only one film I have ever seen that truly recaptured that adventure "spirit" of said trilogies was ST09. I will continue to say I think JJ understands Star Wars than most other creatives out there. So if it is true (which would not surprise me) that Disney is blown away by VII and there is few good candidates and they feel he will rock it the hardest than go for it. But if they find someone else that they think can do better or as good of a job of course I'm behind it.

Let's get David Lynch to direct IX. Should be fun.

I want either Duncan Jones or Alfonso Cuaron to direct Episode IX. :D

After Fury Road, I could easily see George Miller entering the Star Wars universe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"