Sequels Who thinks Thanos is going to be saved as the main villain in Avengers 3?

^again, why tease Thanos to culminate Phase II with a battle against PG SKYNET? Why build up towards this completely unoriginal cinematic concept through 4-5 solo films? Thor has dozens of foes that the GA would rather see than Ultron. Ultron in favor of Thanos is just baffling to me, specially since we've already been introduced to him.

I see no reason why he would be saved for the third movie. He is not the end all be all baddie for the Avengers. Hell this idea of trilogies is even becoming out of date since so many series are breaking into 4 and 5's. I think he will be the main baddie for two and we will probably see someone new for three(like Kang, skrulls,Ultron,Kree, Masters of Evil....)

^again, why tease Thanos to culminate Phase II with a battle against PG SKYNET? Why build up towards this completely unoriginal cinematic concept through 4-5 solo films? Thor has dozens of foes that the GA would rather see than Ultron. Ultron in favor of Thanos is just baffling to me, specially since we've already been introduced to him.

Think about it, who would they bring out after an IG wielding Thanos who's even more powerful than Galactus?

Surely there's gonna be an Avengers 3, I'm pretty postive everything won't end with Avengers 2.

Think about it, who would they bring out after an IG wielding Thanos who's even more powerful than Galactus?

Surely there's gonna be an Avengers 3, I'm pretty postive everything won't end with Avengers 2.
No one's suggesting Thanos would dissappear after A2, though. Some are suggesting he won't even be defeated in A2 at all.

No one's suggesting Thanos would dissappear after A2, though. Some are suggesting he won't even be defeated in A2 at all.

Well why have the same villain in two Avengers films back to back?

Last edited:
I see Thanos as the big bad of the whole Avengers trilogy. Id think that would work fine

It did work for Star Wars.

Well that would be lame, because there are clearly other deserving Avenger's villains who could use some recognition.

However people are dead set on Thanos being A2's villain, so far be it for me to tell them differently I'll just wait until MS does. :woot:

I agree, Thanos is the top of the hill as far as villains go in the Marvel Universe (Galactus being the next best thing but he belongs to FOX). Whedon said it himself. But here's the thing, in Avengers 2 he will NOT be defeated. Like Empire, it'll be a film where the good guys can't win. A "personal" film. Thanos completes The Gauntlet, destroys or captures Earth & CUT TO BLACK. Then, in a third film we finish the story. The heroes find hope (help). This much larger group figures out how to defeat this monster & succeeds. We get that ROTJ ending where everything is back in order. Where The Avengers take back Earth & the casualties it took to do that will be honored. But to rise, first you must fall. In Avengers 2, they'll fall at the hand of Thanos. In Avengers 3, he'll fall.

Well that would be lame, because there are clearly other deserving Avenger's villains who could use some recognition.

However people are dead set on Thanos being A2's villain, so far be it for me to tell them differently I'll just wait until MS does. :woot:
Sounds like a plan. :p

I agree, Thanos is the top of the hill as far as villains go in the Marvel Universe (Galactus being the next best thing but he belongs to FOX). Whedon said it himself. But here's the thing, in Avengers 2 he will NOT be defeated. Like Empire, it'll be a film where the good guys can't win. A "personal" film. Thanos completes The Gauntlet, destroys or captures Earth & CUT TO BLACK. Then, in a third film we finish the story. The heroes find hope (help). This much larger group figures out how to defeat this monster & succeeds. We get that ROTJ ending where everything is back in order. Where The Avengers take back Earth & the casualties it took to do that will be honored. But to rise, first you must fall. In Avengers 2, they'll fall at the hand of Thanos. In Avengers 3, he'll fall.

But wouldnt that leave the solo film sequels in an awkward spot

Alexei, and again, I love the idea of all this, but I'm curious as to how you'd expect them to handle the solo films that are expected to happen in between TA2 & TA3? Or do you expect them to do two Avengers movies back-to-back with no solo ventures after TA2?

I think a better way to use Thanos is as the Emperor. Have his ominous presence continue to be built up through some of the solo films, like Thor 2, and Avengers 2. Save him for all his glory in Avengers 3.

That could be a more "personal" film, but you're also forgetting about another word Whedon used which was "smaller.

There's no way that a film with Thanos successful taking over the earth is going to be a "smaller" film than The Avengers.

I think a better way to use Thanos is as the Emperor. Have his ominous presence continue to be built up through some of the solo films, like Thor 2, and Avengers 2. Save him for all his glory in Avengers 3.

This is what I'd want to see :up:

I'm positive Thanos isn't going to be the main villain in A2, I want everyone to remember BigThor said this.

Last edited:
What Feige said is that the next "event film" would transpire in 2015. That movie will clearly be Avengers 2. And again, I don't see any reason at all for Thanos not to be the main villain in that film. He already tried sickin' some lesser being on Earth & that didn't work out. Now its personal. It would make no sense for someone else to be sent to attack Earth or for some villain to make his play unbeknownst to Thanos. "To challenge them would be to court death." -The Other. That above statement is what sealed the deal on Thanos attacking Earth. Its not even about The Gauntlet (although I'm sure it will play a role). Its about making a statement. He'll come, invade, destroy & do it all just to prove he can. He'll leave our heroes shattered. That'll be the dynamic of the film. "We defeated a demigod & an alien army. We can take this guy!" Nope. Its simply a matter of escalation. You don't go from Thanos to Ultron. Hell, I wouldn't go to Ultron at all. Completely unimaginative to the GA.

Thanos isn't sending underlings out to attack Earth. He doesn't *want* Earth. Loki was just classic misdirection --- he sent Loki to Midgard because he knew Loki's pride and arrogance would cause him to be defeated by the heroes, and the Cube would be returned to Asgard --- which is *exactly* what Thanos wanted. Cube in Asgard: Thanos' ticket into Odin's Treasury, where the Gauntlet awaits. That's what Thanos was after all along.

The "courting death" thing is just a play on words, since that's Thanos' entire raison d'etre --- courting (Mistress) Death.

But yes, you're absolutely right that Thanos will appear in Avengers 2. *Maybe* in Avengers 3, too, but definitely in Avengers 2. That's the way Marvel Studios' after-credits scenes work: they provide the setup to the next film that's being released. Which in this case, means we'll very likely see more Thanos "clues" as early as next year, in Iron Man 3 and Thor 2.

Who said Avengers would end after Thanos? That's what I'm getting at --- some of you think that there's no stories left after Thanos, because he's simply too big. Look, the Avengers and the Marvel Universe has gone on to bigger and better (badder?) things each time Thanos has been defeated in the comics. There's still plenty of stories left to tell.

Alexei, and again, I love the idea of all this, but I'm curious as to how you'd expect them to handle the solo films that are expected to happen in between TA2 & TA3? Or do you expect them to do two Avengers movies back-to-back with no solo ventures after TA2?

Well, the same way IM3, Thor II, Cap 2 & GOTG will build up to Thanos' imminent arrival, the solo films in between Avengers 2 & Avengers 3 can build up to his imminent fall.

My guess is that those Phase III solo films will add alot to the roster.

-A Black Panther film
-An Inhumans film
-A Doc Strange film

Maybe a third Thor & a second GOTG but I highly doubt it.

By the time they face Thanos again, they'll have the necessary tools to take him.

Those should be the most interesting origin films too. The character's would be introduced just as everything's gone to hell.

You can't have the GA wait 9 films to fully realize a character that was teased in The Avengers.

You can do it for 4 films through a behind the scenes presence, but definitely not 9. Star Wars teased Palpatine/Sidious only for 2 before fully unleashing him.

Who said Avengers would end after Thanos? That's what I'm getting at --- some of you think that there's no stories left after Thanos, because he's simply too big. Look, the Avengers and the Marvel Universe has gone on to bigger and better (badder?) things each time Thanos has been defeated in the comics. There's still plenty of stories left to tell.

It'll be a Thanos trilogy, but I'm sure they'll find a way to go after that. Too much money to be made (POTC4).

By the end of Phase III the studio will have produced almost 20 films. Hopefully the demand for CBMs will still be in play by 2020.

Gotta say, love your big ideas, WB. A3 could be unlike anything before if MS puts their full roster up to that point against an IG wielding Thanos.

Gotta say, love your big ideas, WB. A3 could be unlike anything before if MS puts their full roster up to that point against an IG wielding Thanos.

You need EVERYONE to step up to take him.

You need an elaborate plot to either steal The Gauntlet or destroy it.

I get chills just writing this **** down.

Its not just Earth's Mightiest Heroes banding together, its the UNIVERSE's Mightiest Heroes banding together to defeat the ultimate evil.

The GOTG, Thor, Warlock, Doc Strange, The Inhumans, Hulk, Cap, Iron Man, Iron Fist, Black Panther, Giant Man, The Wasp, SHIELD, etc.....

THE MARVEL UNIVERSE VS. THANOS.

qzgkra.jpg

'nuff said.

Well I'm sure everyone's contracts are gonna be up after A3, so Thanos will definately be the end for THIS team of Avengers.

^The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Cap dying in Avengers 2. Evans won't wanna do more than 4 films. He's been trying to branch out as an actor for over a decade now & as great as this franchise is, I know its not his cup of tea. I picture a climax scene where the heroes are fighting Thanos on board a massive star destroyer-type vehicle in deep space & things go sour. Cap realizes they need to flee & maybe forces Tony & co. into an escape Pod saying he'll buy them time to take off. Cap: "I'll keep 'em busy. Just get the team outta here." Tony: "What? No. No way. You'll die!" Cap: "Relax. I've done it before." Tony: "You're not doing this, Rogers. You're not --" Cap closes the door as Tony's eyes begin to water. Cap salutes Tony through the glass & puts on his cowl, walking into a swarm of Thanos' soldiers. The Pod blasts into space while those inside (including a comatose Thor) remain silent. Cap continues to fight galantly until he's overwhelmed...FADE TO BLACK

1) I dont think there's any indication that Cap/The Avengers isnt Evan's cup of tea. I think he even said if all goes well he'll play Cap until he's 40
2) Again that idea affects solo films too much. If Cap dies in Avengers 2 he would just have to come back in Cap 3

Evans has said it before - Danny Boyle's Sunshine is his best & favorite film he's done. He wants to do more films like that. He'll wanna jump ship when his contract ends. Same goes for Downey, although with the insane amount of money they're throwing at him he might be seduced to stick around indefinitely.

Yeah when his contract is done. I think that's after Avengers 3 and Cap 3. I think, I'm not sure. That's still no indication that playing Cap isnt his cup of tea. Besides the rest of the Avengers still get to squeeze in some good work in between the Marvel films. I'm sure Evans could do it as well

Didn't Kevin Feige say that the Civil War story was on the table as a possibility for The Avengers 3?

I think it'd be interesting to see them use that Kree/Skrull war that they were planning for TA, maybe have it so that Thanos has manipulated the Kree and Skrull empires into declaring a genocidal war against each other causing billions to die in the crossfire. Giving plenty of offerings to his mistress :twisted:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"