Why do men cheat?

I've never had anyone cheat on me and I have never cheated but I still believe that most people cheat and it is in their nature to do so. But then again it all depends on your definition. I probably have a more strict definition than a lot of people. For example I would say if a guy who is married goes to a strip club and lies to his wife about it...I would consider that cheating or being unfaithful.

I don't buy that for a second.

I've never had anyone cheat on me and I have never cheated but I still believe that most people cheat and it is in their nature to do so. But then again it all depends on your definition. I probably have a more strict definition than a lot of people. For example I would say if a guy who is married goes to a strip club and lies to his wife about it...I would consider that cheating or being unfaithful.

A lot of things must fall under your definition of cheating if lying about a strip club does. A shame anybody would have to do that anyway, but that's besides the point.

Same reason women break many hearts, screw guys over, and cheat.

Everyone sucks ash.

It's hard to say how many people cheat. We may never know.

Humans seem to suck at monogamy. But then they suck at everything else, so this really shouldn't be too surprising.

Not everyone does that, but if you're very, very lucky you might find someone to do it the right way for you. ;)

tumblr_m52a8baOUU1rprd8z.gif

Basically blanket statements erupt from the bad experiences we've had with a few. But if you start to see a pattern.....hey.
I see a pattern. It's not one that necessarily happens to me. I just kind of go by sample. I'm not sure what number I'd put on it, maybe 60% of people cheat, and that's just really what I know. Not really a prying person either.

It really does have a lot to do with options, but also situation. People who work all the time, people who kind of hang out with just one crowd, that really kills a lot of temptation.

I don't think every guy gets played by his girl, nor vice versa. Plenty of non cheaters out there. However I think most non cheating couples don't really put themselves in danger that often either. Ghandi used to say he slept with naked women to test his will power. Conveniently cameras were not allowed. Can't say non cheaters try to pull that sh**.

That's why I think it's so pronounced in high profile celebrities. The option to start over or try the buffet is always around.

The poster on the first page is quite correct that studies point to women being slightly worse.

I don't think it's necessarily our nature. I think it is in our programming but might not necessarily be what a given person follows.

Interestingly enough, one interesting statistic is some expect as high as 10-14% of males between 30-40 are virgins. It's pretty consistent with other species like us. Certain percentage is always undesirable. Also women were much lower, expected to be 7-8%. It's done by studying STD rates, and a few other things. This also includes asexual people.

So I think it's fair to say cheating is common. Still sucks, but it happens, and imagine some goes unreported. Kind of like how rape goes unreported. For example, my uncle cheated and only I and about five other people know it. It's getting worked out internally in the family and is really not referenced.

Last edited:
It is quite surprising to see how many famous figures had affairs. It actually becomes difficult to find famous people who didn't cheat on their spouse.

It is quite surprising to see how many famous figures had affairs. It actually becomes difficult to find famous people who didn't cheat on their spouse.
Andrew Jackson and George W. Bush (and Barack) are the only married Presidents not heavily suspected of having affairs.

The Hill overall is known for being a very oversexed place.

Not to invoke the whole Stewart/Sanders thing, but apparently she was doing something for him his insanely hot supermodel wife wasn't.

I don't buy that for a second.

Like I said it is a matter of personal opinion and there can be many layers to it but men are wired to make babies and women are wired to seek a mate to fulfill that need. Even if you are with someone that thinking doesn't stop. You still find other members of the opposite sex attractive and you want to mate with them...once again this is how we are wired...so I believe most people are unfaithful. The odds are just too stacked against us.

Andrew Jackson and George W. Bush (and Barack) are the only married Presidents not heavily suspected of having affairs.

The Hill overall is known for being a very oversexed place.

There's also Nixon, Adams... and probably a few others. But it was pretty common.

Nixon and Adams were probably the most happily married of the bunch, by all accounts.

There's also Nixon, Adams... and probably a few others. But it was pretty common.

Nixon and Adams were probably the most happily married of the bunch, by all accounts.

My grandfather knew Nixon very well. Although it has nothing to do with his marriage he used to get drunk and curse at the paintings of previous Presidents.

Oh, which president hasn't done that?

Except maybe the teetotalers.

And George Washington... since he'd have no one to shout at... or a White House to shout in for that matter...

I always feel like the people who say everybody cheats are trying to excuse themselves.

I see a pattern. It's not one that necessarily happens to me. I just kind of go by sample. I'm not sure what number I'd put on it, maybe 60% of people cheat, and that's just really what I know. Not really a prying person either.

I've found a couple of sites that say 30 to 60 % - which seems like more of a guesstimate than an actual statistic. Honestly? The difference between 30% and 60% is too wide to be believable.

http://www.truthaboutdeception.com/cheating-and-infidelity/stats-about-infidelity.html

I've found a couple of sites that say 30 to 60 % - which seems like more of a guesstimate than an actual statistic. Honestly? The difference between 30% and 60% is too wide to be believable.

http://www.truthaboutdeception.com/cheating-and-infidelity/stats-about-infidelity.html
Even though divorce is not synonymous with cheating it indicates unfaithfulness is quite common. That's 50+ %. Then of course the percentage of sh***y relationships is high also. So I think we at least can say the wrong people get together a lot, which makes it not hard to believe its about 50 or 60%.

That sounds about right to me.

Getting back to the thread's original question...while its not this simple, it often seems that men tend to cheat for sexual and physical release, whereas women usually have an emotional rationalization.

Getting back to the thread's original question...while its not this simple, it often seems that men tend to cheat for sexual and physical release, whereas women usually have an emotional rationalization.

It seems that way but I'm sure a lot of women just want something new in the bedroom as much as guys do.

I dunno. I think it's all 'little from column A, little from column B', and maybe moreso from one than the other. We're primarily a visual species, and there's no doubt beauty and sexual dominance are rewarded.

I also think people who "I would never cheat" either don't have that much temptation or take steps to deliberately avoid it. It seems to me people who have looks, power and or status, and or have large, diverse, and well connected social circles tend to cheat more frequently. I also think managing the lifestyle I just described almost takes a kind of person who is willing to take a lot of risks. I just don't think it's a happy accident that most of our nations leaders, and leaders of other nations (and the successful in general) often have pasts riddled with drugs, crazy experiences, awesome war stories, etc. It's the 'devil may care' attitude that allowed them to take the risks that got them where they were. Hence - the cheating.

Fair enough. Men JUSTIFY it by saying they wanted sexual release, and women JUSTIFY it by saying they wanted something emotional. :)

There's overlap, obviously.

Agree on the whole "I would never do that" crowd.

I've grown so accustomed to being cheated on.. I don't think I can deal with it anymore.

I know one thing:

Cheating + Maury Povich = Pure Entertainment

I also think people who "I would never cheat" either don't have that much temptation or take steps to deliberately avoid it.

Um, aren't those things any faithful spouse would try and do? I'm not tempted because I don't allow myself to be, and when I get hit on, I flash my wedding band and act like an idiot. When I get hit on by a really hot woman, I file that away for, um, personal use later, but the thought of wrecking the life I've built around this other person never crosses my mind.

Um, aren't those things any faithful spouse would try and do? I'm not tempted because I don't allow myself to be, and when I get hit on, I flash my wedding band and act like an idiot. When I get hit on by a really hot woman, I file that away for, um, personal use later, but the thought of wrecking the life I've built around this other person never crosses my mind.

An intelligent one, yes. It *seems* like common sense to take preventative measures, but I don't think that crosses every married guy's mind. You still might get hit on out of the blue, but the odds go down considerably if you avoid strip clubs, bars, college parties, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"