Why do we say ''Jesus Christ''?

Would you prefer they freebased him, instead? :huh:

My personal favorite usage, usually uttered at idiotic drivers is "Jesus H. F**king Christ on a popsicle stick turned sideways and upside down with a cherry on f**king top!"

jag

I find it funny when I hear some hispanic people vain Jesus out...but they not only get down on Jesus but the whole fam. "Aye...Jesus Mary Joseph"

I find it funny when I hear some hispanic people vain Jesus out...but they not only get down on Jesus but the whole fam. "Aye...Jesus Mary Joseph"

Yeah, my wife can get pretty brutal on Jesus' whole family. My mother-in-law, too. Of course, they do it all in Spanish which just makes it sound really hot.

Translation = Jag, "You've made me incredibly uncomfortable"

:bh:

jag

Some Christians see it as cursing when "Jesus Christ" is said in times of stress, anger or despair...but that view isn't common. For example, my sister (who is also a believer) says that to her, it's only swearing if the Father's name is combined with another popular swear word (hint: the initials of this combined form would be GD).

On the other hand, my great-aunt strongly believed (before she died) that any utterance of Christ's name (other than during praise, worship, or instruction) was equal to blasphemy. Either way, the above example is almost universally considered as a violation of "thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain".

As for why this happens, I tend to agree partially with Victor von Doom's post. The stressful usage of Christ's name is partially of habit, and partially from irresponsibility. I guess, in a way, it's a living example of Proverbs 19:3, which says, "People ruin their lives by their own foolishness, and then are angry at the Lord".

So there I was, shopping. I picked up a portable DVD player thinking this would make a good gift for someone for Christmas. I hear a woman next to me say ''Jesus Christ''. I turn to look at her, she looked stressed. Later that day I'm sitting down to drink some water. Some guy can't seem to get his money out of the A.T.M. He mutters ''Jesus Christ''. Why do people say ''Jesus Christ'' when angry? Why not say ''Fruit loops'' or ''Brad Pitt''?

Why does this pop into our brain? Do we take the lords name in vein because we know it's wrong? Or does it come to us naturally because everyone else says it?:huh:

Jesus' real name was Emanuel. Which makes this whole cursing Jesus Christ scenerio an even trickier one to discuss.

I don't say it. I mean, not in the stub your toe and shout it out way.

Jesus' real name was Emanuel. Which makes this whole cursing Jesus Christ scenerio an even trickier one to discuss.
Actually, Mary was instructed by the angel to name her son Jesus, but He was also called Immanuel, meaning "God with us". the fact that Scripture uses the word "called" implies a nickname of sorts.

My favorite is: "Sweet baby jesus motherf***er!" I am so used to saying it, I shout it in front of my mother. :up: That's always entertaining.

Jesus' real name was Emanuel.
elewis_150x207.jpg

I usually just say Christ but I can't imagine why.....

I usually just say Christ but I can't imagine why.....

I say it because they're nothing but words to me. No magical power in them to make fictional characters mad at me. And it makes people go 'omgzzzz she goin to hell!!11one!'

It's using His name as a curse. Why people say it I can't imagine. Wish they wouldn't, but it happens. :csad:

i don't know why i do it, in all honesty. probably just because i hear it so much, it's like a reflex.

sometimes i catch my self, and i'll be like "jesus fu... nions" or something and not say it. i try not to do it, but by reflex i usually do. and when i do, it's usually "jesus f'ing christ"

Actaully when you call out Jesus Christ after stubbing your toe you are calling for god to destroy or strike down that which you stubbed your toe upon. It's like saying "God Dammit". You are calling upon god to damn whatever you are mad at.

why must god damn it? why is stubbing your toe so holy??

jesus christ on a moped.

my favorite phrase. In a way, Blasphemy isnt something Christians can do.
but that...is another story.

well only time i ever say it is when something is SO EXTREMELY AND INCREDIBLY UNBELIEVABLE, BORDERLINE ******ED, or im feeling DISGUSTED. (sorry if its been done before)

I only use it when there's a Lion and people need to get in the car :huh:

i say "Christ" but only recently have i said "Jesus Christ" ...i have no clue why i say it...

I sometimes say "Jesus, Mary, and step-daddy Joe." I also sometimes utter "Mary, mother of God." I'm thinking about switching it up, and including the whole family.

Jesus, Mary, Joseph, James, Joses, Jude, and Simon!

If I love the girl, who cares who you like
Cool it now
You've got to cool it now
Oooo, watch out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee