Days of Future Past X-Men: Part 6 should be set...

This thread makes my head hurt...

Of course a 3D First Class sequel starring Cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm, etc. can top X-Men's $157 million. First Class is already within $10 million of that. Just because a prequel doesn't make as much as its predecessors, doesn't mean its sequel can't.

That said, topping X2 and The Last Stand is far more of a challenge and not something I would say is easily accomplished. Even with 3D, you're talking about an additional $100 million. That's quite a jump, especially when you consider that, despite the addition of familiar characters, audiences may still be hesitant to throw money after the unfamiliar faces playing those characters.

lets not forget that FC made 207m internationally.

With the great reception of the first movie more 3D and Cyclops, Jean and Storm, it could do 300m easily, specially if its released in a few years.

so..... 300m internationally and lets say just 150 on USA, that would be 450m already. More than X2 and practically the same as X3.

But if on USA it does 200 (not a hard number honestly), it would be superior than the whole trilogy.

some fans just are too negative and not as realistic. The international market is getting bigger year after year, so its not like FC cant be a very successfull franchise.

Many fans want X4 or X5, thats fine, but thats another issue.

you dont have proff that it wont either.

first movies always use to do less than the sequels.

With the FC Stars geetting bigger, Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Beast, more 3D prize a sequel can easily do more than Fc and X2.

A third First Class film might do okay but it does seem odd to keep going backwards and forwards and could be confusing for the general audience. It all depends what happens at the end of DoFP - that will hopefully create an expectation of what is likely to be coming next.

Is part of the purpose of DoFP to give a boost to the First Class characters by surrounding them with the original trilogy stars? Or are the original trilogy stars the ones people really want?

At this point, it's really difficult to tell what Fox/Singer will do and what will work with the general audience.

They are not going to be able to keep adding new characters without taking some of the existing ones out.

I kind of agree xmaniac.

I was just pointing out that FC can have succesfull sequels too.

But what I want is on my signature :D

X4 and X5. Its the perfect timing to move forward. If Singer deliver EPIC action with original actors/characters, fans will be really pleased, Im sure. And many will want to see more of it, including the return of Cyclops, Nightcrawler and Gambit, to name a few.

its a shame that marvel have decided to use Magnetos kids for the avengers because a 3rd FC could be good for using them vs the Xmen

truth is if they wanted they could stretch this franchise out, maybe next do a FC 3 which could have some prequel link of some sorts to X4:apocalypse, doesn't have to be time travel

not saying that will happen but its one of many ideas they could go for if they did do a FC3, they are only signed on for 3 films anyway :)

will just have to see what happens

agree about Magneto's children.

Its kind of pathetic to me how Fox having Magneto on 5 XMEN MOVIES havent adressed Erick's past or one love affair at least.

A FC movie with a brotherhood of Erik, Mystique and Wanda and Pietro would be really cool.

Or a sequel with Havok and Polaris, and Erik trying to get her on his side. That would lead to great tenssions between Erik and Charles.

But anyway, lets move on with X4 and X5 :D

You know if this was an Xmen 4 without the FC team it would probably make less then X3 mostly because I heard a lot of people say they gave up on the franchise after that film but they claim to like FC though

Now if DOFP makes more then X3 you can partly guess its due to fans of FC who wanna see more of them and if singer adds some of the writing that made FC great to DOFP it could win over thoughs who lost interest in the original trilogy to wanna see a possible X4

Overall FC won over a lot of people, even with magneto,beast,mystique and xavier with new characters they can still do very well at the box office, esp after DOFP

If there was a direct link from FC3 to X-4, you are talking about a gap from the 70's or 80's, to sometime after DoFP, which is probably 30-40 years later. I don't think you can write a coherent, structurally sound story with all those years in between. I can't see a FC 3 taking place another 10-15 years after 1973 let alone a few years prior to DoFP or X-4.

A third First Class film might do okay but it does seem odd to keep going backwards and forwards and could be confusing for the general audience. It all depends what happens at the end of DoFP - that will hopefully create an expectation of what is likely to be coming next.

Is part of the purpose of DoFP to give a boost to the First Class characters by surrounding them with the original trilogy stars? Or are the original trilogy stars the ones people really want?

At this point, it's really difficult to tell what Fox/Singer will do and what will work with the general audience.

They are not going to be able to keep adding new characters without taking some of the existing ones out.

Obviously they are intent on buffing this franchise, and that's the point of doing this storyline. It is the perfect formula to go about it. Ideally, I'd like to see both timelines continue.

2017: FC3 (Sinister and foreshadow Apocalypse)
2018: X-4 (With OT cast)
2019: X-5 (Final X-Men ensemble movie)

It's probably too ambitious. The budget to produce that trilogy would exceed a billion. And Singer couldn't direct all three unless he committed the rest of his career to the franchise. Possible, but wishful thinking.

If there was a direct link from FC3 to X-4, you are talking about a gap from the 70's or 80's, to sometime after DoFP, which is probably 30-40 years later. I don't think you can write a coherent, structurally sound story with all those years in between. I can't see a FC 3 taking place another 10-15 years after 1973 let alone a few years prior to DoFP or X-4.

im guessing a 3rd FC it would be set in the 80s

and they could write a way to connect it to X4 if they are creative enough, its pretty much what they are doing now with DOFP

in many ways it would help spread the fanchise out abit, FOX won't be in any rush to reboot this franchise

I agree.

an easy option?:

To introduce Sinister on the 80's.

And use him again on X4 with the idea of him serving someone bigger than him (Apocalypse) or even to go full out with both as lead villains on X4.

Sinister doesnt age right? so there you have it.

He uses young Jean and Scott on the 80's, and back to present, he tries it a second time. Perfect arc for him on the franchise.

Well, assuming they only have Fassbender and McAvoy Co for only one more film under contract, then they can have FC3 set up the final part of the new prequel then "Star Wars" it to a Star Wars 7 kinda.

New/Older Xavier and Magneto working under a new timeline, which completes the reboot, cause of the DOFP changes.

What's the consensus on DOFP? Is it essentially x-men 4? It's being listed in a lot places as the sequel to X-Men 3 probably as much or more as it's being reference as the sequel to first class.

I agree.

an easy option?:

To introduce Sinister on the 80's.

And use him again on X4 with the idea of him serving someone bigger than him (Apocalypse) or even to go full out with both as lead villains on X4.

Sinister doesnt age right? so there you have it.

He uses young Jean and Scott on the 80's, and back to present, he tries it a second time. Perfect arc for him on the franchise.

Posing the question again, why go through the trouble of looking for new talented leads for a 1980's backdrop if you are going to cast them aside in favor or X4-5? Ideally, yes, fanboys would love it. But it's not practical from a business end. Now if you filmed all three movies back to back with the same director like a LotR trilogy, then you wouldn't have that problem worrying what becomes of your FC3 cast. Wishful thinking. I want them to do exactly what you propose. But I don't see it happening. Nor did I see DoFP happening, so anything can happen.

exactly, with this franchise and current state, anything can happen.

We have Singer, Vaughn and Millar all involved on this franchise, so the possibilities seems bigger than ever.

What's the consensus on DOFP? Is it essentially x-men 4? It's being listed in a lot places as the sequel to X-Men 3 probably as much or more as it's being reference as the sequel to first class.

It feels less like a First Class sequel due to the absence of so many characters and the 11-year jump. The inclusion of so many returning actors from the original trilogy makes it seem more like a sequel to The Last Stand. But it's a bit of both, I suspect.

Thankfully, having both sets of actors and both eras (past and future) means it's an ideal set-up to do DoFP.

im guessing a 3rd FC it would be set in the 80s

and they could write a way to connect it to X4 if they are creative enough, its pretty much what they are doing now with DOFP

in many ways it would help spread the fanchise out abit, FOX won't be in any rush to reboot this franchise

The thing is that a film set in the 80s would be expected to join the dots with X1, and will likely only present further continuity issues because things won't join up properly (as happens in every film to date).

However, any changes made to history in the 70s will likely have a ripple effect of creating a very different 1980s that won't necessarily lead to X1 at all. So, after DoFP, a film set in the 80s would be fairly random - free to do different things that didn't lead towards X1 but also detached from the existing timelines.

It depends if DoFP is intended to reset the timeline for a new FC film set in the 80s or reset the timeline for a new film set in the present/future. The involvement of James Marsden suggests they are more concerned with moving forwards with the original trilogy cast.

As for somehow linking a FC film in the 8os to an X4, would they want to do the time-travel again, with someone else coming back to stop something else happening? Seems a bit repetitive.

you dont have proff that it wont either.

first movies always use to do less than the sequels.

With the FC Stars geetting bigger, Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Beast, more 3D prize a sequel can easily do more than Fc and X2.

Origins/FC not topping the worldwide gross of X3 is already a proof.

And about your statement of "first movies always use to do less than the sequels" - the first Spider-Man movie is still the most successful Spider-Man movie.

Posing the question again, why go through the trouble of looking for new talented leads for a 1980's backdrop if you are going to cast them aside in favor or X4-5? Ideally, yes, fanboys would love it. But it's not practical from a business end. Now if you filmed all three movies back to back with the same director like a LotR trilogy, then you wouldn't have that problem worrying what becomes of your FC3 cast. Wishful thinking. I want them to do exactly what you propose. But I don't see it happening. Nor did I see DoFP happening, so anything can happen.

Its definitely not practical.

Some people here, just see it "oh another movie with the First Class introducing Jean grey, Cyclops, Storm would do great business". But I don't think they're thinking whats the best for the franchise. I already said this to Angamb a long time ago, its wishful thinking.

You can't release a X-Men 4 and X-Men 5 movie after DOFP then go back to the First Class cast after those films to introduce the younger version of Cyclops, Storm and Jean Grey. It would confuse the general audience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"