Days of Future Past Why the 1970's?

What if the event is the birth of Jean Grey? Sort of repetitive in that John Connor mode, but think about it. A mutant more powerful than Xavier and Magneto? Albeit how would anybody know that of an infant? The event ensuing from the end of TLS is the creation of the Sentinels. Maybe if she is killed off at birth, the war against mutants would never escalate to the point where Sentinels are required. But given the premise of Nixon and the Washington D.C backdrop movie has going for it, it will probably be politically motivated.

But given the premise of Nixon and the Washington D.C backdrop movie has going for it, it will probably be politically motivated.

I have to agree with you. With the Nixon and Washington thing the story is likely politically motivated...

So the fate of the mutant world is gonna rely on the Sentinel bill being passed or rejected in Congress? Just seems kind of lack luster. I am thinking Magneto will try to assassinate a political target that tries to pass an anti-mutant bill (but not Sentinels per say), and when his is killed, a more aggressive bill is proposed (this bill being the one that actually implements motha ****in' Sentinels)

What some are forgetting If the sentinles come into being post trilogy before
time travel happen.So something In 1973 before the time travel sets In motion
the events that will ultimetly leads to sentinles post trilogy+The Wolverine.

My thinking It could be during time Nixon and all that was going on at ime In X-Men version of 1973 secret weapons That can be used against mutants.
If Peter Dinklage Is playing Boliver Trask he could be key figure In devolping these weapons and one that he devolps Is early plans for sentinles.Mystique
could be undercover and discover these weapons being devolped.Perhapes
before the time travel Magneto launches attack on washington that kills
Trask,escaletes the weapon X project,and helps set up 1:The push for registration act and 2:Stryker's homicadle plans

If they want to tie In the cure perhapes after learning the cure was only tempory a radical group got ahold of Trask's plans that was unable to be built with 1970's technolgy and then build them with more present technology.

What if the event is the birth of Jean Grey? Sort of repetitive in that John Connor mode, but think about it. A mutant more powerful than Xavier and Magneto? Albeit how would anybody know that of an infant? The event ensuing from the end of TLS is the creation of the Sentinels. Maybe if she is killed off at birth, the war against mutants would never escalate to the point where Sentinels are required. But given the premise of Nixon and the Washington D.C backdrop movie has going for it, it will probably be politically motivated.
That is actually pretty interesting. What if it isn't the X-Men who are trying to alter time/space? In the comics, Bishop wanted to kill Hope (when she was a baby) because he thought she was what created his awful timeline. What if Bishop is the one that goes back with a nefarious plan and it's up to the future X-Men to follow him somehow and stop him?

However, I still want a political conspiracy story to be the impetus.

well that baby Jean idea would explain the 73 setting as that would fit the timeline of around when she was born... it is an interesting concept

Last edited:
It's also repetitive and cliched. But I think the young Jean needs to be featured at some point in the sequel most likely. The scene in TLS needs to be expounded upon, because it's a good plot device to set things in motion. Maybe manifest the White Phoenix and see her live to the full Phoenix potential in an X4 or beyond. Let's face it, we want to see Apocalypse, but more so, we want to see the Phoenix done properly in all its glory, even if it means abolishing the OT with the alternate timeline.

I preffer Apocalypse next instead of another Jean centered movie, even if X3 didnt give us the real Phoenix and all of that, but it had Jean's return as an important plot.

I need really new stories that put a bit more focus on the other actors/characters.

Agreed, they need to move onto to something new.

Sinister could be in a 3rd first class movie with he newly recruited Jean and Scott and apocalypse for a future X4

They could easy foreshadow apocalypse in a 3rd first class movie, maybe sinister is trying to waken apocalypse in the 80s but fails, end credit scene 20 years later he awakens (cliffhanger)

Not saying that will happen but it's an interesting idea

I didnt know Havok and Banshee are gone.

Thats disappointing news. So the only returning X-Men is Beast???

I didnt know Havok and Banshee are gone.

So far, just Beast. But with Beast being the pre-transformation non-blue version, nothing is certain.

This could be an alternate past.

But didnt Singer release a pic of the new Beast makeup?

I didnt know Havok and banshee are gone.

Yes I think the idea is suppost to be young xavier is in a dark place, depressed and uncaring about his appearance from how he looked in the picture singer released so maybe there isn't any X-men in the 70s, maybe hasn't even started the school yet

In Fist class he lost the use of his legs, lost raven, pretty much failed to stop Eric

I think all this will have an impact

Yes. I think it seems more likely that Beast is using an image inducer, as Singer said there will be new technology featured in Days of Future Past we haven't seen before. An image inducer also makes sense given Hank's distaste for his beastly appearance in First Class and his propensity to invent things. It's also possible, as others have pointed out, that this could be one of many realities, as Singer has discussed the possibility of multiverses. Who knows?

When ther was talk of a sequel to first class the writers said they wanted to explore the hank and raven thing abit more

I'm guessing that still happen, hank looking normal and mystique looking like she did in first class

I think that's part of the idea for making hank look normal

That and the whole hank unable to accept his appearance like in first class and just an excuse to not have to put him in the blue make up :oldrazz:

Also, if Hank looked like blue furry Beast all the time it would rather limit his movements in public. He'd have to be a near-recluse.

It's a money saver by not going the full on make-up route. You can't blow your budget on 90% CGI and makeup. Practical from a business end to use some cheap plot device like an image inducer.

Yes I think the idea is suppost to be young xavier is in a dark place, depressed and uncaring about his appearance from how he looked in the picture singer released so maybe there isn't any X-men in the 70s, maybe hasn't even started the school yet

In Fist class he lost the use of his legs, lost raven, pretty much failed to stop Eric

I think all this will have an impact
its been ten years would he really think he's still moping about that... he seemed pretty well adjusted at the end of first class

its been ten years would he really think he's still moping about that... he seemed pretty well adjusted at the end of first class

He could have had a break down within that 10 years

It's perhaps unrealistic to think he would adjust that quickly to losing the use of his legs, losing raven who he grew up with and maybe even losing fight to stop Eric and whatever else

If you wanted he could say he was in denial after first class, put on a brave face, there is many ways to look at it, just have to wait and see the film

Maybe Havok and Banshee die during a mission?

Beast has also temporally "cured" himself of his furry form on a few occasions.

exactly.

I wont buy the whole depressed Charles, if thats the route Singer goes. Charles could have been depressed the very next weeks after FC events, maybe a few months.

but 11 years? sorry, but that doesnt make sense. At least that isnt the Charles Xavier we all know from the comics. He is a much stronger character than that.

So I hope this new look has a different and better explanation.

exactly.

I wont buy the whole depressed Charles, if thats the route Singer goes. Charles could have been depressed the very next weeks after FC events, maybe a few months.

but 11 years? sorry, but that doesnt make sense. At least that isnt the Charles Xavier we all know from the comics. He is a much stronger character than that.

So I hope this new look has a different and better explanation.

It would take longer then a month to get over the fact you won't ever be able to walk ever again

There probably is more added on top but of it though, maybe since everyone discovered mutants exist they have been against mutants and Charles feels he failed

Plus this is a younger Charles, people mature and learn

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"