Days of Future Past Why the 1970's?

maybe is a flashback

He looks to 70s for it to be a flashback

Could be anything maybe he had a break down over the years, maybe he is unable to start the school for certain reasons, maybe people have come to hate mutants and xavier feels he failed

Could be many things

Well, once he gets home from hospital and has the mansion modified for his disability, there will be a lot of adjusting.

He seemed to cope rattling around that big house when he was a child, but mainly by studying (and having Mystique for company). With no Mystique, Erik, Banshee or Havok, it will be a bit lonely in that mansion.

With the alternate timelines etc, it's hard to make sense of what's going on. I hope they have thought it through, because time travel tales are prone to plotholes and paradoxes.

Those metal walls in the picture look more like something Magneto would do, so maybe he is somehow involved with the school again after Charles goes off the rails.

Last edited:
Maybe Hank does further experiments? This could be at a time when it temporarily works? It could explain the difference in appearance between FC Nick Hoult, DOFP Nick Hoult and TLS Kelsey Grammer.

Maybe Havok and Banshee die during a mission?

Yup but I don't think they should go in that direction. First, its like ruling out that two will never appear in a X-Men movie unless they resurrect them. Second, thats pretty major and it would require more explanation.

I wont buy the whole depressed Charles, if thats the route Singer goes. Charles could have been depressed the very next weeks after FC events, maybe a few months.

but 11 years? sorry, but that doesnt make sense. At least that isnt the Charles Xavier we all know from the comics. He is a much stronger character than that.

So I hope this new look has a different and better explanation.

I think it would have been the opposite actually; IMO in the first weeks or even months after FC events Charles would have been putting on a brave face and acting all "I'm ok", until his undealt with trauma caught up with him bad. And someone like Charles would have been terrible at asking for help or opening up to someone.

There could be more stuff on top of it but I don't think that depression has some kind of timer to it.

Agreed. Paralysis isn't something one gets over in a few weeks. If anything, that makes the least sense.

If he's still depressed after 11 years someone needs to tell him to sack up. I'd guess Hank or Logan would be the one to do it.

Agreed. Paralysis isn't something one gets over in a few weeks. If anything, that makes the least sense.

And remember in X2, when Jason puts the vision in his head that he can stand, and Charles ends up in tears.

I doubt it's something he'd ever really gotten over.

I agree that if after 10 years Professor X is still depressed the story will be heading down a bad path. Sure I could see it being part of the story, but I hope not.

At the same time this doesn't answer the question of why the 1970's. If specifically 1973 was selected AND Nixon is in the movie, then it's all for a reason. This reason is why I started this thread...

I still think we're going to see Nixon give that "I'm not a crook" speech. I just wonder if it will be Nixon, or will it be Mystique?

totally agree with you. Your theory is very good and I wish that Bryan thinks the same. he should do

It's in the 70's so that they can have Nixon replace Kelly in the storyline, kill of 7 members of FC, and change the personalities from the already established FC characters again and bring them closer to the originals (or at least send them on a journey towards that).

It's in the 70's so that they can have Nixon replace Kelly in the storyline, kill of 7 members of FC, and change the personalities from the already established FC characters again and bring them closer to the originals (or at least send them on a journey towards that).

Do you really think that they will show the death of characters like Banshee and Havok? I don't think so. I could see it that they are just no longer part of the team. Pretty much they went on to other things...

I still feel that there is something to this whole 1970's thing. If not then why not use Johnson and stick to the 60's?

In this situation about 10 years has gone by and now we have what? Is mutants becoming more known? Is Nixon against mutants? Will it be Nixon's death that changes the future? That one seems hard to do. Killing a past President isn't something that I can see them doing...

To me the most iconic thing that you get from Nixon is the "I am not a crook", which had to do with Watergate and this speach took place in 1973. I'm betting that this year was picked so this can be used in the story.

SO, let's try this then...

IF he is trying to use the "I am not a crook" how and why would it be? Would it still be because of Watergate? If so, what happens at the DNC headquarters? What are the burglers after? Is Mystique and/or Magneto involved?

My speculation is that the X-FIle or X-Envelope that Nixon wants back contains something to do with mutants. How about it being plans and/or the programming to Mastermold? Someone gets the plans from Watergate and boom, we have a future with Sentinals...

How about other ideas?

It was wise for Singer & Co. to not have the film set in the 1960s: Vaughan and his team acquired a lot of mileage out of the period (with the Bond aesthetic & such,) that it is nice to see a period that is not used frequently in this genre and has a lot of cinematic potential. Personally speaking, the Bronze Age is my favorite era of comics, and the 70's marked the release of a lot of good films (Alien, Star Wars, The Black Hole, Soylent Green, and so on.) Plus, it will be sonically and visually pleasing to have the culture of the decade refracted through the script.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"