Apocalypse X-Mem Apocalypse in he 1970's... Really?

Super Jim

Sidekick
Reaction score
Well, seems like the idea I posted a long while back, of Apocalypse being the next villain and being set up in DOFP is panning out.

First off, that's great! Like I said beore, Apocalypse just makes sense as the next big bad guy!

Now, when I posted this idea it was with the logical assumption of a FUTURE dystopian world controlled by Apocalypse, caused by a change to the past (Xavier sacrificing himself to save Magneto - or Wolverine's changes to the past during DOFP).

I actually wrote up this cool concept of Logan waking up in the future, after he "fixed" the past in DOFP. He finds himself in the middle of a battle, with Sentinals, laser fire and a bunch of mutants (and non-mutants) running around, etc. Apparently Wolverine had passed out during battle and someone is trying to help him. Turns out to be Jean, alive and well and obviously in love with Logan. There is a blast and a craft comes crashing right at them when all of a sudden it is halted and a force blast pushes the car, and the "bad guys" back. A call for retreat is announced by the figure hovering above... Magneto... fade to black...

Now this is Age of Apocalypse. This is what many of us would love to see. Logan with Jean. Magneto the leader of the X-Men. And so much more!

Instead we find that the rumor is that this will take place in the 1970's? That the future cast will not be used? That this is likely not even the Age of Apocalypse?

Well, color me disappointed!

What a waste, of these rumors turn out to be true! If you're going to use Apocalypse, then Age of Apocalypse makes sense. Make it two movies to do it justice, and make more money!

Not sure how everyone else feels, but I was hoping that DOFP would "kind of fix" the messed up timeline we've been given, and fix some things, like Jean being dead and stuff. Well, seems like it won't matter if this will take place in the 70's! What a waste!

There was never any indication that they were doing the Age of Apocalypse storyline so that's your own fault for assuming as much. Another time-travel story so soon after they just did one?

There are plenty of Apocalypse story arcs they can do, some of which are even better than AoA honestly.

what bothers me most about all this is singer calling them the X-Mem now, DAMN YOU SINGER!!! :argh:

Sorry, but I can't agree that any Apacalypse story is better than AOA.

What they could have done is had DOFP end with the dystopian future, and then have AOA play out over 2 movies. Going back and stopping the catalyst that caused the AOA would be one very small part in the second part, so it would really come off as one big story, played out over 3 movies, instead of one movie for DOFP and then another one for AOA.

It's also too bad that we won't be able to see Archangel since he's not in the 70's!

Truth is singer was never gonna be THAT faithful to the comics and he still ain't because he puts his own story before the source material, first class was singers story and he admitted to just taking the name and idea rather then making sure everything was like the source material (he did say it would all lead up to the real FC later on but anyway) same with DOFP which will have a lot of changes made

Still surprises me the amount of people that forget that or just ignore that fact, anyway long live x-mem

Last edited:
Truth is singer was never gonna be THAT faithful to the comics and he still ain't because he puts his own story before the source material, first class was singers story and he admitted to just taking the name and idea rather then making sure everything was like the source material (he did say it would all lead up to the real FC later on but anyway) same with DOFP which will have a lot of changes made

Still surprises me the amount of people that forget that or just ignore that fact, anyway long live x-mem

Agreed.

In a lot of ways I think they're missing some golden opportunities...

If they want the next movie with the "First Class" (I hate refering to them like that), back in the 70's, then why not focus on Mister Sinister as a lead in to Apocalypse? The movie could start off back in the mid-1800's and focus on a doctor named Nathaniel Essex and show his obsession with the theories of Darwin. It could be shown how he presented his theories of how Humanity will mutate and how his colleagues mocked him and his theories. It could be shown how he had a group called the Marauders (a bunch of thugs) collect test subjects, and how his son died and he performed tests on his corpse. His wife finds out and frees all of the test subjects. Essex asks for forgiveness and she states “To me, you are... utterly… and contemptibly… sinister!”. She then dies and we fade out to start back in the 1970's at the X-Mansion.

In the 70's the whole Mutant Massacre storyline could be played out with the Marauders as the group the X-Men must fight, and Sinister as the one pulling all the strings. Since this would be in the 70's Gambit would not be used. Sabertooth could be, and for the other Marauders a good list would be:

Harpoon
Vertigo
Scalphunter
Riptide
Scrambler

So effectively the Mutant Massacre story plays out in the later 70's, missing a few bits of canon, such as Gambit, Callisto, Leech or Angel losing his wings, due to the continuity issues. Obviously no Thor or X-Factor.

Some of the Morlocks (they were called the Omega Gang in X-Men 3) could be as follows:

Caliban
Marrow
Masque
Annalee
Ape
Healer
Artie
Feral
Sunder
Etc.

Obviously you wouldn't get into each and every one, but say Feral, Caliban and Marrow would be good to meet. At the climax many would, of course, be massacred...

The X-Men would take down the Marauders, some excaping, some not being so lucky, and ultimately Sinister (who would now be known to the GA) would have gotten what he wanted, a strengthening of the gene pool, and would be available to serve En Sabur Nur in the dystopian future where he belongs.

Well I would prefer if they do Apocalypse in the present time and with the original cast.

^ Thank you psylockolussus. Someone who gets it!

Truth is that they could use Fassbender, with make-up to make him look older (in the "present"), and since the AOA is due to (in many versions) Xavier being killed in the past, all you would need Stewart for is a small cameo at the end showing that he's alive and well, and the timeline has been righted.

Halle could still pull the role off, and of course Hugh could as well. Famke would be fine, as long as they use make-up, etc. to make her look "young". And those would be the main characters, of those existing, needed to pull off the story.

Just seems that they are forcing the Apocalypse story with the First Class of actors, and that is not good. Without the Logan/Jean love story you can't have the AOA.

So, this Apocalypse story won't be AOA. Ok, then what other Apocalypse stories could be adapted into a good movie?...

I'm sot sure. All of the good stories seem to be wrapped in with the present day movie X-Men.

If done in the 70's we won't have AOA, as we've already discussed. We won't get to see Angel turned into Archangel. We won't see Nathan Summers being infected with the technoorganic virus. So what stories are left?

The Twelve story focuses on Cyclops a lot, and really needs an already established Apocalypse, so that doesn't make sense...

I guess Judgement Day could be done, even without Archangel, but wouldn't that just be stupid? Yes, they could go with other mutants turned into the Four Horseman, but can anyone say yawn? They couldn't even use, cringe, Wolverine, since it would be taking place back in the 70's.

I guess they could go with Endgame, but like I mentioned above, without being able to use Cyclops, a present day (and currently dead) character, you can't have Nathan Summers. I guess they could give Cable some other name and use this movie to set up the alleged X-Force fim, but why not just do this in the present, after Cyclops is alive at the end of DOFP? Having Cable and not making him the son of Scott and Jean would be a bad decision, and make the messed up X-Men movie universe even more screwed up!

Lastly there's the Apocalypse Solution, but getting into the whole child who becomes Apocalypse, and whether killing the "innocent" boy to prevent the future "evil" man is the right thing to do story is a bit reaching since Apocalypse has not yet been introduced to the general audience. So this one just doesn't make sense.

And then there is the worst choice, which unfortunately is the one I think they are going to do, which is have Singer create his own Apocalypse story. Rumor already has it that, cringe, Apocalypse is going to be... (again, cringe)... Magneto! Excuse me, I've got to go throw-up now!

As big a fan of Apocalypse, I don't think Age of Apocalypse is needed after DOFP. One dystopian future/alternate timeline is good enough for a while. Besides, as fondly as I remember those books, it isn't exactly a single storyline easy to adapt.

As for stories, I think the first stories we got for Apocalypse in both the comics and the cartoon are a good basis to bring him in. In fact, I really like the original cartoon as an introduction. In fact, change the cure to the virus from "Time Fugitives", and I think it would work.

And can we please keep Sinister separate from Apocalypse? The connection is so rarely relevant, that it makes no sense to force it into the movies.

As big a fan of Apocalypse, I don't think Age of Apocalypse is needed after DOFP. One dystopian future/alternate timeline is good enough for a while. Besides, as fondly as I remember those books, it isn't exactly a single storyline easy to adapt.

As for stories, I think the first stories we got for Apocalypse in both the comics and the cartoon are a good basis to bring him in. In fact, I really like the original cartoon as an introduction. In fact, change the cure to the virus from "Time Fugitives", and I think it would work.

And can we please keep Sinister separate from Apocalypse? The connection is so rarely relevant, that it makes no sense to force it into the movies.

Well, first I believe it's looking like DOFP isn't going to be a dystopian future caused by a change to the past. More likely Mags and Xavier wanting to change the past to prevent the future from becoming a reality. I know, subtle difference, but a difference nonetheless...

And yes, Age of Apocalypse was written to have numerous teams take on different missions, but the general story was the same. Here's the point:

1) Would we really need X-Calibre to go after Destiny in order to prove Bishop's story? Of course not. Not necessary, and since there isn't an established Excalibur, then this wouldn't be included...

2) Do we really need Gambit and the X-Ternals to go into deep space to retrieve a shard of the M'Kraan crystal? Of course not!

3) Would you really need Generation Next to go save Illyana? No, not necessary!

4) Would we need the Astonishing X-Men to battle Holocaust? Maybe not, but it could be interesting.

5) Would the evacuation of humans to Europe be needed? No, not really.

6) Obviously Weapon X and Jean Grey would be incorporated! The nuclear strike against the US, ordered by the Human High Council, could be part of it as well.

7) For Factor X we wouldn't need all of the different characters, but the Breeding Pens with Cyclops and possibly Dark Beast makes sense!

8) X-Man is not needed.

9) X-Universe not needed either.

10) Elements of X-Men Omega would make the story.

So really, it's not really a story that needs all these different groups like you say. It's really this:

X-Men - Alpha - Age of Apocalypse: The past was changed. Apocalypse now rules. Magneot leads the X-Men against Apocalypse. Bishop knows the truth. We're shown the love story of Logan and Jean. We're shown the breeding pits and Cyclops. Maybe one or two Horsemen are taken down. Bishop (and maybe others) are sent back to fix the past.

X-Men - Omega - Age of Apocalypse: We meet the other Horsemen (including Sinster). The Human High Council nukes the US. While the X-Men are fighting Apocalypse Bishop (and the others) fix the past.

So Age of Apocalypse can indeed work!

Now, you also say keep Sinister and Apocalypse separate because their "connection is so rarely relevent". Well, in Age of Apocalypse the fact that Sinister is one of his Horsemen seems relevent. The idea of Sinister using Cyclops and Jean Grey could be integrated.

Then, of course, we have the fact that Sinister created Nathan (Cable) for the purpose of destroying Apocalypse. Seems pretty connected...

Now don't get me wrong. There are plenty of Mister Sinister storylines that do not include Apocalypse, but AOA isn't one of them. In fact, per what I wrote above, I'm recommending a Sinister story, set in the 70's with the "First Class" characters, before Apocalypse, being in the dystopian future where it belongs!

Instead we find that the rumor is that this will take place in the 1970's

Ok there is a thing i don't understand not only with you but with a lot of complain over the web. The vulture scoop just say the film will focuse on FC cast not that the story will take place in the 70. So why you think that ?
In this old interview, Singer said :
“That’s an idea that’s been discussed,” said producer Bryan Singer to Total Film about the '70s and '80s as possible settings. “How the characters go through time. But only to a point – they can’t age too fast!”

http://http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/x-men_first_class_sequel_talk_starts_already_mutants_to_get_down_in_the

Xmen apocalypse can be in the 80 with a young Cyclop, Jean, Storn, Beast, Gambit, Nightcrawler, Havoc, Banshee, Pietre, Wanda , Juggernaut ect ....

PS: people will probably get tired of my links lol:woot:

It definitely should be in 80's, we need young Cyclops.

Well we do know that Mcklellan and Stewart made statements about not knowing a thing about X-Men Apocalypse, meaning they have not been asked to be part of it, which does indicate that the rumors may be true that it will be a First Class character movie.

Well we do know that Mcklellan and Stewart made statements about not knowing a thing about X-Men Apocalypse, meaning they have not been asked to be part of it, which does indicate that the rumors may be true that it will be a First Class character movie.

Even though James is contracted for another film he said he wasn't aware of X-Men: Apocalypse leading me to believe that Singer hasn't approached anyone FC or OT. I'm sure he has an idea of who he wants to be in it though but scripts evolve and characters are written in and out. By 2016 the initial story for XM:A could very well change.

2 things bother me about this:

1. Apocalypse has been in tons of other stories other than just Age of Apocalypse. I wish other fans wouldn't be so stuck on that story because it's probably not going to be used.

2. Making this a first class cast only movie is a mistake. You're expecting us to believe this team of X-men is going to take out Apocalypse in the 70's or 80's and then struggle to take out Magneto and a small group of henchmen in 2000? It's not plausible.

Plus with the wait many fans have had for this, I think most of us want to see Cyclops, Wolverine, etc. face him.

Well they can have marvel girl, storm, cyclops etc. And since maybe prof x dosen't block jeans powers, jean can use her phoenix powers against apocalypse.

2 things bother me about this:

1. Apocalypse has been in tons of other stories other than just Age of Apocalypse. I wish other fans wouldn't be so stuck on that story because it's probably not going to be used.

2. Making this a first class cast only movie is a mistake. You're expecting us to believe this team of X-men is going to take out Apocalypse in the 70's or 80's and then struggle to take out Magneto and a small group of henchmen in 2000? It's not plausible.

Plus with the wait many fans have had for this, I think most of us want to see Cyclops, Wolverine, etc. face him.

I don't get where this notion came from that Apocalypse is the uber villain of the series. His back story is bigger than the character.

Besides this isn't Dragon Ball Z where there are tiers of villains. There has to be more to a villain than just their strength. In the comics Apocalypse was defeated by the original X-Factor several times. At the end of the original X-Factor run he was "killed" by Cyclops. In the X-Cutioner's Song Stryfe tossed him around like a rag doll and he was subsequently killed by his own henchmen, The Dark Riders.

In the Age of Apocalypse he was killed by Magneto in a one on one fight. So why is it hard to imagine that Magneto, Mystique, Beast, Havok, Xavier, (Wolverine) could beat him?

If it is indeed in the first class time period I don't want any of those c listers give me jean, cyclops etc.

In the Age of Apocalypse he was killed by Magneto in a one on one fight. So why is it hard to imagine that Magneto, Mystique, Beast, Havok, Xavier, (Wolverine) could beat him?

For me it's not so much that it's hard to imagine, it's that it sounds...unexciting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"