Why the Hate for this Movie?

I have at least seen Speed racer referenced on Family Guy and SNL, which are some pretty main stream programs in the US. Heck I heard of Pokemon referenced in the horror film Slither, South Park and the Daily Show. In America you know something has made it into the pop culture realm when reference by other pop culture programs.

I haven't heard of any major pop culture references for DBZ, maybe Robot Chicken, but everything get referenced there.

Also looking better than Speed racer isn't anything to brag about. The poster still looks like a cheesy 90s film.

The poster you are refering to, is the teaser poster btw. Not the movie poster.
The movie poster will probably look much better, although for me the teaser poster looks fine.

PS: DBZ has been referenced in The Simpsons, in the episode when they went to Japan.

Family Guy and SNL suck.

Dragonball Z was very clearly referenced in the South Park MOVIE, which received more viewers than just a single South Park episode in its third season (which is what your referring Pokemon to).

Dragonball Z may not be directly referenced all the time (the show has been over for 10 years!) but it's quite obvious it has had influence on MANY movies and TV-shows in America's popular culture. I don't know what you're talking about.
He's baaaccccccckkkkk! I loved that scene in the South Park movie. Dragonball Z is referenced plenty in culture. Sometimes it's not easy to tell, though...

Family Guy and SNL suck.

Dragonball Z was very clearly referenced in the South Park MOVIE, which received more viewers than just a single South Park episode in its third season (which is what your referring Pokemon to).

Dragonball Z may not be directly referenced all the time (the show has been over for 10 years!) but it's quite obvious it has had influence on MANY movies and TV-shows in America's popular culture. I don't know what you're talking about.

It doesn't matter if they suck, their still references.

And one small reference i a film that isn't very direct doesn't raise this franchise's profile that much.

Not that it matters, both speed racer and DBZ are still very unknown in the US, in regards to the general public. So DBZ being more well known then speed racer is worth jack squat.

I haven't seen a lot of evidence that this franchise is well known to the general public.

Also the fact it *looks* like crap doesn't help.

DB was referenced a popular TV show BTVS 7th season in episode Potential

VI: He doesn't seem evil, exactly.
BUFFY: He's not evil, but when he gets close to it, he picks up its flavor like a mushroom or something.
ANDREW: But I'm reformed. I'm like Vegeta on Dragonball Z. I used to be a pure Saiyan, and now I fight for the side of Goku.
BUFFY: Still not coming.
ANDREW: (whining) It's not fair. Spike just killed people, and he gets to go.
BUFFY: Spike didn't have free will and you did.

http://vrya.net/bdb/clip.php?clip=3979

It doesn't matter if they suck, their still references.

And one small reference i a film that isn't very direct doesn't raise this franchise's profile that much.

Not that it matters, both speed racer and DBZ are still very unknown in the US, in regards to the general public. So DBZ being more well known then speed racer is worth jack squat.

I haven't seen a lot of evidence that this franchise is well known to the general public.

Also the fact it *looks* like crap doesn't help.
Speed Racer is known in America for it's stereotype of badly dubbed anime and oddly sounding characters. Dragon Ball is well known for the funny hair and constipated noises.

BUFFY: He's not evil, but when he gets close to it, he picks up its flavor like a mushroom or something.
ANDREW: But I'm reformed. I'm like Vegeta on Dragonball Z. I used to be a pure Saiyan, and now I fight for the side of Goku.

Didn't see that show.

Well I hope's enough to carry this film, because spike's the most famous person they have in this film.

Hard Boiled
Pirates O.T.C. 3
Bulletproof Monk
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

That's 4 popular movies. And he was in Stranglehold, the sequel video game thing to Hard Boiled.

I disagree, I think the reason for the hate, is we are talking about something that doesn't translate well to the silver screen.

People are complaining about how the quality of the movie looks so far, not at the fact that it's even being made. And I know your trying to justify why the movie won't work, but you're wrong. It COULD work, it just isn't going to in current hands.

DBZ seems like the kind of thing that's left better in the realm of cartoons and comics, but in live action it would look silly and have a story that wouldn't appeal to the general American audience. Its the same reason FF doesn't work in movie form.

Again, it the right hands and with the right approach a live-action DBZ movie could be amazing. The story appeals to me immensely, and I'm an average American movie-goer. DBZ's basically superheroes, it's the most comic-booky of any amime ever made, and it's basically one giant Superman "what-if" story. And Fantastic Four COULD work in movie form, the only thing is Fox didn't take it seriously. It was just made to make money, not to make a great action/comedy. People feel this is being made just to make money.

I love DBZ but I feel as if Fox is going the F4 route.

The way the film is going I dont see the characters retaining the personality traits of the cartoons or manga.

I cant see Chow Yun's Master Roshi sharing the same traits as Roshi in the comics and cartoon.

I really wonder Bulma in the film will be anything like her comic counter part? I'm just not seeing it right now.

The fight scenes will be crucial because if they dont get that right then the film is wasted.

LoL yeah I remember seeing that episode years ago and that part was hilarious.

I would bet James Masters had something to do with introducing that dialogue in that episode lol.

1 the streetfighter movie
2 this didn't need to be made (again)
3 it looks bad

Its number 3 which is confusing me, what looks bad and why

Heres my list:

1. It looks terrible, the behind the scenes shots show horrible and cheap ass looking costumes.

2.The director is terrible. Steven Chow isn't directing this so bringing up his name as producer is useless.

3. The cast is awful, Emmy Rossum is talented but the movie is staring a terrible actor. He was bad in The Invisible and War of the Worlds.

4. That teaser poster showed just how awful the movie looks, I can't stress how awful the hair and costume looks.

5. Fox is making the movie.

But thats how most perceive the movie and why itll probably flop

Well then we're going to have to get a HUGE shovel to scoop out al the sand in their v*****s.

Heres my list:

1. It looks terrible, the behind the scenes shots show horrible and cheap ass looking costumes.

2.The director is terrible. Steven Chow isn't directing this so bringing up his name as producer is useless.

3. The cast is awful, Emmy Rossum is talented but the movie is staring a terrible actor. He was bad in The Invisible and War of the Worlds.

4. That teaser poster showed just how awful the movie looks, I can't stress how awful the hair and costume looks.

5. Fox is making the movie.

1. so did the first starwars movie, and the orcs of lord of the ring. and the green Gobling in the first spiderman movie.

2. he is average, and every director is as good as his last movie, ask Singer after Superman Returns

3. it could have being better, but they are ok.

4. well it try to recreate the anime looks, for the fans, many wanted it like that, is down to personal opinions.

5. yes here i have the same fear as you, fox could make it worst.

my "hate" for this movie comes from the fact that Fox (a deeply corrupt organization) obviously fast tracked this movie into production after seeing Transformers's success...ultimately resulting in a semi faithful treatment, uninspired casting, half assed costumes and sets, and a delayed release date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"