Civil War Will Sony's Spider-Man be involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I've said previously I'd love to see Spider-man in the MCU (and X-men though that's a god deal less likely), I still don't see it happening any time soon. At least not with Civil War.

No, sadly. As fun as it would be to have Spidey in the MCU (especially given the recent movies), it would have been already revealed if this was anywhere near likely to happen.

[YT]dCE40Z-HpMM[/YT]

I'd really like to see the interplay between RDJ's Tony Stark and whoever the MCU Spider-man could be

:awesome:

[YT]CmwRQqJsegw[/YT]

:woo:

Joker is popular but Harley Quinn is nowhere near the level of a Joker. Right now if I was to do SS movie, I'd piggyback off of the Tom Hiddleston success and let Loki lead them. Is it as popular as Joker or Suicide Squad? No but its a start.

The fact that they tabbed Margot Robbie who is pretty much the sexiest woman on the planet seals the deal with Quinn. There will never be a more iconic supervillainess in a long, LONG time. Unless she is simply brutal in the role, but she's talented enough to pull it off.

Marvel needs that villain everyone loves to hate but love anyway. Frankly, people are tired of Goblins. Ock is just another crazy scientist. They haven't done these villains well enough yet, or they one shot them (killing them thus preventing recurrence). Whomever the villain(s) leading this thing needs some serious development, and as other posters intimated, they need to start of as villains. Think Vader. Then imagine 6 other Vaders on the same team. Of course no one will ever be a Vader in the Marvel universe, but collectively there is enough there to make up the difference. I think Zemo has potential, with Ock having the most potential. Black Cat is the closest thing to Quinn, but terrible in comparison.

Last edited:
3rd time's the charm. We better get an awesome Green Goblin this time.

I wonder if he will steal Rhodey's armour from IM3. That would make the most sense now than just inventing one himself and making it up to look exactly like that.

:up:

Though I still think Dafoe was great. Costume wasn't the greatest (still never thought it was as bad as some say though). I wouldn't mind seeing Iron Patriot also.

They shouldn't even bother with Sinister Six now. If Marvel and Sony want something similar to Suicide Squad with a bunch of anti-heroes, they should develop the Thunderbolts, with some starting off as actual villains in earlier movies, and later discovering their heroic side in subsequent films.

Wasn't Thunderbolts the movie Gunn wanted to direct if GotG went belly up and he couldn't do GotG2? I say if he'll take it then let him do a T-bolts movie after GotG2.

The fact that they tabbed Margot Robbie who is pretty much the sexiest woman on the planet seals the deal with Quinn. There will never be a more iconic supervillainess in a long, LONG time. Unless she is simply brutal in the role, but she's talented enough to pull it off.

Marvel needs that villain everyone loves to hate but love anyway. Frankly, people are tired of Goblins. Ock is just another crazy scientist. They haven't done these villains well enough yet, or they one shot them (killing them thus preventing recurrence). Whomever the villain(s) leading this thing needs some serious development, and as other posters intimated, they need to start of as villains. Think Vader. Then imagine 6 other Vaders on the same team. Of course no one will ever be a Vader in the Marvel universe, but collectively there is enough there to make up the difference. I think Zemo has potential, with Ock having the most potential. Black Cat is the closest thing to Quinn, but terrible in comparison.

Loki isn't that villain to lead them? I think he's the perfect guy because Hiddleston is clearly a fan favorite plus he's very complicated in everything he does.

To be honest, WB doesn't have a good track record with it's superheroes. I think they just hit lightning in a bottle with Nolan, who I think is one of the worse things that could have happened to them because now they want their entire universe to be dark and serious. Superman isn't dark! Bah! Not going to get off the subject of the thread but he's right to a degree but I don't think Suicide Squad will fail at all.

Piggybacking off that tangent, the DCCU has to distinguish itself in every way imaginable from the MCU if they want a prayer of long term success, which they do considering their 10 year plan. Even characters like Flash need a grittier, grounded approach. You can't radically shift tones from MoS and the Snyderman flavored superhero tone as a whole. I firmly believe that, and I think WB is thinking along that page as well.

Last edited:
:up:

Though I still think Dafoe was great. Costume wasn't the greatest (still never thought it was as bad as some say though). I wouldn't mind seeing Iron Patriot also.

Wasn't Thunderbolts the movie Gunn wanted to direct if GotG went belly up and he couldn't do GotG2? I say if he'll take it then let him do a T-bolts movie after GotG2.

Actually it's the movie he said he wanted to do if GotG was successful. Now that it's successful, let's hope it happens. I love Gunn's movies. Dude is underrated.

Piggybacking off that tangent, the DCCU has to distinguish itself in every way imaginable from the MCU if they want a prayer of long term success, which they do considering their 10 year plan. Even characters like Flash need a grittier, grounded approach. You can't radically shift tones from MoS and Snyderman flavored superhero tone as a whole. I firmly believe that, and I think WB is thinking along that page as well.

That's a horrible idea though. Superman is a light hero not dark. Same as the Flash, who's almost DC's answer to Spiderman.........to a degree. I think you can count on one hand the times Superman smiled in MOS. I don't think he laughed at all. What makes Batman and Superman's interaction interesting is how different they are. Night and day, literally. But with them both being dark and depressed.......just not sure. I think BvS will make money but not sure about the rest of their movies, especially Wonder Woman. She's not as popular as people think she is.

Loki isn't that villain to lead them? I think he's the perfect guy because Hiddleston is clearly a fan favorite plus he's very complicated in everything he does.

I agree, sans the fact that he is overexposed. With Joker, we went from Nicholson, to Ledger, and now another Academy Award winner in a team up movie. Not to mention the unmatched Hamil in the animated and video game series. Every single time they've knocked it out of the park with completely different takes on the same character. You can't do that by forcing the same actor and same shenanigans down audiences throat for an entire decade. It's starting to get repetitive, as we saw in TDW.

To add, if you need a primary Spidey antagonist along with a villain teamup, I would start by developing Norman as that guy, pre-goblin. Let him form his own team. I don't really see Kingpin as an anti-hero, but he can start the team as well with Norman or Ock, but you have to develop a dual antagonist/protagonist from within.

Last edited:
I agree, sans the fact that he is overexposed. With Joker, we went from Nicholson, to Ledger, and now another Academy Award winner in a team up movie. Not to mention the unmatched Hamil in the animated and video game series. Every single time they've knocked it out of the park with completely different takes on the same character. You can't do that by forcing the same actor and same shenanigans down audiences throat for an entire decade. It's starting to get repetitive, as we saw in TDW.

To add, if you need a primary Spidey antagonist along with a villain teamup, I would start by developing Norman as that guy, pre-goblin. Let him form his own team. I don't really see Kingpin as an anti-hero, but he can start the team as well with Norman or Ock, but you have to develop a dual antagonist/protagonist from within.
Wait! Loki is over exposed(been in only 3 movies)but the Joker isn't? :huh: Just saying.....If you are going to use the villians from Spidey, who are not really known except maybe Venom, Doc Ock, and Green Goblin.....having Loki on the team makes perfect sense with Nick Fury giving them orders.

No, Joker is not overexposed for the reasons I aligned. 1989, to 2008, to SS, and a long running animated/video game adaptation in a completely separate medium. Audiences can't get enough of him, because WB hasn't overexposed him.

Loki can string together a team, I don't know how you go about forming that. He is so far removed from Spidey level threats, considering his dealings with Thanos and the works, that I don't even know how that would realistically work. If we are talking about a more grounded based team like Thunderbolts, then Loki doesn't fit that bill. If you are going cosmic level threats, with Namor, Hulk, and Silver Surfer, Loki better fits with those guys, of whom Marvel doesn't even have exclusive rights to.

No, Joker is not overexposed for the reasons I aligned. 1989, to 2008, to SS, and a long running animated/video game adaptation in a completely separate medium. Audiences can't get enough of him, because WB hasn't overexposed him.

Loki can string together a team, I don't know how you go about forming that. He is so far removed from Spidey level threats, considering his dealings with Thanos and the works, that I don't even know how that would realistically work. If we are talking about a more grounded based team like Thunderbolts, then Loki doesn't fit that bill. If you are going cosmic level threats, with Namor, Hulk, and Silver Surfer, Loki better fits with those guys, of whom Marvel doesn't even have exclusive rights to.

Same thing with Loki. There were people actually calling for him to have his own solo movie. Eh, we agree to disagree. I think Loki being chosen to lead S6 would make more financial sense than say Electro. That movie has bomb written all over it because it just doesn't appeal to anyone. Throw Loki in there and it changes everything.

They already made a Solo movie with the Joker as the main character.

It was called Batman (1989).

Hold on Buddy! They have a lot to prove with Quinn and Joker
It isn't a success story yet

Hold on Buddy! They have a lot to prove with Quinn and Joker
It isn't a success story yet

That's what I don't get. People are acting like this movie is a foregone conclusion. It isn't. WB doesn't have a good track record with it's heroes. Again, I do think BvS will be successful but I do not think JL: Dawn of Justice will be that big of a hit because there are so many questionable decisions concerning the direction of the DCCU. Suicide Squad should be a monster, not because of the characters but because of the actors they hired. The Joker should be the star of the story but it depends on how they make him. If he's all dark and twisted like Ledger's Joker then we have a winner. Jack Nicolson's Joker was good at the time but he'd come off kind of lame now. But we will see.

Now back on topic. Didn't mean to throw it off but just had to get that out. S6 has bomb written all over it unless they have some of MCU involved.

Last edited:
Loki leading the S6 just makes the team an Avengers villain. You'd need to explain why Thor isn't helping out, or Cap/Iron Man isn't working with Spidey in tandem. That's why I think it needs to be Norman/Ock and Kingpin taking on the likes of Spidey/DD, perhaps with the likes of Punisher/Cage as well. I would think more along the lines of New Avengers and Heroes for Hire, if you want a Team Good versus Team Bad. It's going to be hard making the S6 a team with honorable intentions. Thunderbolts would be a much better fit as far as a team of anti-heroes.

Jaker isn't lame. He was a real threat to both the city and the hero. He was also a fun villain, and while you didn't root for him, it was really enjoyable to see him everytime he was on screen.

Loki leading the S6 just makes the team an Avengers villain. You'd need to explain why Thor isn't helping out, or Cap/Iron Man isn't working with Spidey in tandem. That's why I think it needs to be Norman/Ock and Kingpin taking on the likes of Spidey/DD, perhaps with the likes of Punisher/Cage as well. I would think more along the lines of New Avengers and Heroes for Hire, if you want a Team Good versus Team Bad. It's going to be hard making the S6 a team with honorable intentions. Thunderbolts would be a much better fit as far as a team of anti-heroes.

Agreed. :up:

Piggybacking off that tangent, the DCCU has to distinguish itself in every way imaginable from the MCU if they want a prayer of long term success, which they do considering their 10 year plan. Even characters like Flash need a grittier, grounded approach. You can't radically shift tones from MoS and the Snyderman flavored superhero tone as a whole. I firmly believe that, and I think WB is thinking along that page as well.

Disagreed...:down

I think Nolan inspired Snyder in MoS, he was motivated to do a darker and grittier approach that was more in league with Nolan's Batman movies. However, that doesn't seem to be the case with BvS, with talk of Nolan not wanting involvement with the DCCU. I eagerly anticipate seeing what BvS will be without Nolan's movie-making style rubbing off on Snyder.

I think Nolan inspired Snyder in MoS, he was motivated to do a darker and grittier approach that was more in league with Nolan's Batman movies. However, that doesn't seem to be the case with BvS, with talk of Nolan not wanting involvement with the DCCU. I eagerly anticipate seeing what BvS will be without Nolan's movie-making style rubbing off on Snyder.

WB/DC would be laughed out of the theaters if they try to do a copy and paste of the MCU. It's pretty mind boggling to me if people want to disagree with that. It's easy to say "make it similar in vein to the MCU but unique in its own right." Explain to me how you do that if the majority of your films are light-hearted, fun, gather the family affairs? It's just another MCU in that event, and a less successful one. No risks involved at all, and mediocre to bad films as a result. It needs to be the exact opposite of that. Not EVERY film, but if these are all within one universe, you need a certain tone and consistency in almost all of them. I agree the Justice League movies can be more of the popcorn flair, but even as another standard blockbuster, it would do nothing to distinguish itself from Avengers if that's all it strives to be (and what I obviously mean is that they need to target the older audiences and capture darker themes akin to franchises like X-Men and the old Terminators, because that's the best counter to the MCU IMO).

That's why I think SS is a slam dunk. It's a completely different take on popular characters as well as fresh faces. This is something that needs to be encouraged. WB literally has no one to blame but themselves if they screw that up. (Sorry to get off topic, but I like to stress that point when I can).

Last edited:
Yeah but they aren't villians for the movie. Remember, they are doing a mission for "good" and not for their own purposes. Loki is a good guy sometimes to so it makes sense. You don't need Avengers for them because they will actually be helping them out.
Jaker isn't lame. He was a real threat to both the city and the hero. He was also a fun villain, and while you didn't root for him, it was really enjoyable to see him everytime he was on screen.
Who's Jaker? Kidding. Joker is a good villain, one of the best in the business and that you enjoy seeing?

I think it's now almost a certainty, he's going to appear in one of Marvel's 2016 movies before his 2017 solo reboot and this is by far the most logical movie on the current slate for him to debut in.

Yeah but they aren't villians for the movie. Remember, they are doing a mission for "good" and not for their own purposes. Loki is a good guy sometimes to so it makes sense. You don't need Avengers for them because they will actually be helping them out.
Who's Jaker? Kidding. Joker is a good villain, one of the best in the business and that you enjoy seeing?

What you're saying is that we need more bad guys versus bad guys, and that's what Thunderbolts can be, or Sony's S6. These films need to have ambiguous protagonists, akin to some good dramas in recent years like Breaking Bad. Loki can absolutely be that guy, but helping out the Avengers and Thor wouldn't be treading new waters. You need to pair him with other baddies. Hell, even Thanos has come across as an anti-hero to me thus far in the MCU. Or Alexander Pierce. These guys have a clear purpose and believe their intentions are absolutely correct. These are more of the villains the MCU badly needs. Then you need to pit these ideologies against one another. This is what WS did very well. The X-Men franchise is another. The MCU needs those less obvious, defacto villains that they usually tend to go for.

WB/DC would be laughed out of the theaters if they try to do a copy and paste of the MCU. It's pretty mind boggling to me if people want to disagree with that. It's easy to say "make it similar in vein to the MCU but unique in its own right." Explain to me how you do that if the majority of your films are light-hearted, fun, gather the family affairs? It's just another MCU in that event, and a less successful one. No risks involved at all, and mediocre to bad films as a result. It needs to be the exact opposite of that. Not EVERY film, but if these are all within one universe, you need a certain tone and consistency in almost all of them. I agree the Justice League movies can be more of the popcorn flair, but even as another standard blockbuster, it would do nothing to distinguish itself from Avengers if that's all it strives to be (and what I obviously mean is that they need to target the older audiences and capture darker themes akin to franchises like X-Men and the old Terminators, because that's the best counter to the MCU IMO).

That's why I think SS is a slam dunk. It's a completely different take on popular characters as well as fresh faces. This is something that needs to be encouraged. WB literally has no one to blame but themselves if they screw that up. (Sorry to get off topic, but I like to stress that point when I can).
No one is saying the movies have to be lighthearted(not every Marvel movie is 100% lighthearted, anyway), but we don't need them to be dark, overly serious and devoid of much fun either. The DCCU doesn't need to be "gritty" or "grounded" in the franchises that don't require it(Superman, JL, Flash, Aquaman, etc.) but when it fits, it feels right like for SS and Batman's world. Just stay true to the characters and their distinctive worlds and that will be enough to set them apart from the MCU.

Wow, he might wind up getting that cameo after all!

Even with no Nolan, MoS has already happened so I guess they have to stick with the established tone to an extent. Although Supes himself can still evolve gradually and Flash doesn't need to go too dark.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"