Wolverine: Old Man Logan

Honestly given the nature of the world. I honestly didn't need a backstory for Banners turn to the redneck darkside. The worlds gone to hell along with everyone in it........FINE

This isn't the future of the 616 universe. Its a nice elseworld that ended nicely.

I enjoyed the ending and the story over all. Old Man Logan was just like a Clint Eastwood flick, and I would definitely read a sequel (which probably will happen). I agree about the page count. There's no reason that this story couldn't have been wrapped up six months ago.

Maybe but I'm glad they drew it out because I enjoyed the hell out of it!!!! Good Clint Eastwood analogy. Brutal story but it had to be given the events that led up to this finale. I loved it!

One thing I don't get is....

Did Hulk swallow Logan skeleton and all whole? Wouldn't Hulk's own healing factor heal him even with a hole through his stomach and spine? Doesn't make much sense but I still enjoyed the read.

Yeah, it was kind of silly. I don't think any explanation was given for it, either. Jones just started having Banner manifest different Hulks randomly. Sometimes he'd go savage green Hulk, sometimes gray Hulk, sometimes the more intelligent green Hulk, sometimes Super-Banner, etc.

Didn't I read somewhere that that run was retconned into being just a dream or something like that? Or was that something I just dreamed up?

Peter David wrote an arc afterward where suspicion was cast on whether anything in the Jones run actually happened. But I still treat it as if most of it happened, at least. It's like a 3-year run, so that's a hefty chunk of the Hulk's continuity just gone if you take David's arc seriously.

Well at least Millar used some continuity, I mean that is what matters here right? Oh well didnt really matter to me, mindless action is annoying some times and this is one of those times where it was annoying.

Even continuity doesn't really matter in this case. Old Man Logan is a long-form What If about events that will never matter to the ongoing continuity anyway.

I get that but I think that these What-if? type stories are strengthened by basing or at least acknowledging past events. After all I would think its the people that know a thing or two about these said characters that are going to read a What If? tale.

Wasn't Millar trying to promote this at one point as THE future and not just a what if?

If he was, he's even more full of s*** than I realized.

I think he was just promoting it as the same future as the Fantastic Force one, though. So it's his future of the Marvel universe. So, basically, feel free to ignore it.

They never will. Wolverine's got emo hair now, since the comic hairstyle proved utterly impossible to do seriously in the movies. So Jackman got to just grow his hair out all long and flowy, and now artists are drawing the comic Wolverine with long, flowy hair that doesn't strictly conform to the two-pointed 'do of bygone days.

He'd be much easier to take as a badass if he looked less like a clown that stuck his penis in a light socket.

People haven't had a problem taking him seriously as a badass for the past few decades.

I don't really care either way, to be honest. Wolverine will always be a crappy, overexposed *****e to me.

I would love for someone to do a movie version of this. Without Jackman, just do a whole new actor and make it really dark and bloody. Such a long shot I know.........but I'd love to see it on the big screen. And Hulk is so ugly and mean.......kick ass!

I liked what Hugh Jackman did with Wolverine, but hated what some of the audience took from his appearance on the big screen. It wasn't "Oh, Wolverine's a tortured man trying to find his lot in life whilst eternally struggling to be a man instead of an animal." Instead it was "teehee, the actor playing him is hawt! Fanfiction fantasy tyiiiime!" And some folks in the comic industry as a result said "....hurrr...let's follow dat example!"

I was actually thinking about one little line he said in one of the old issues I had. He was searching for that abusive neighbor guy who once ran him over (in his feral days) since he finally "killed his wife" and took their son with him. Anyways, this hot room attendant at the hotel was flitting with him after he got the info. He said something like "'Cutie?' Huh...I guess she likes her men short, scruffy and UGLY" He made note of that himself. Wolverine was always popular with the ladies (in my opinion) because of rugged animal magnetism, not pretty boy looks. In fact, prettying him up somewhat messes with the whole motif of his character being in a death struggle with his animal side. Also he's supposed to carry that wear and tear of all the tragedy that's happened in his life; sure he can physically heal, but all that baggage will still show through somehow, and he NEEDS to look like that. I remember near the start of Wolverine volume 3 (where he didn't so much fight villains, but it was more realistic level stuff for a bit) he was drawn short, scowly, hunched and sour. I remember someone on this board mentioned he looked like "the missing link" he didn't look simian or ludicrously inhuman, he just had this immense roughness to him and I said to myself "that's wolverine right there, that's how he should look like."

Sorry for the long winded hoohaw. I'm just passionate about some things, and well since I was a kid, I've loved Wolverine, and it pains me to see him turned into an overexposed badly written character...with Deadpool's popularity as of late, I fear for him too. He's a rather interesting character, but if written wrong he's a "lol look what zany crap I can do!" spectacle and booooooy that's not what he's supposed to be. Sorry. Shutting up now. Bub...

The movie version of this Logan should be played by Russel Crowe or maybe even Mickey Rourke. Somebody really bad ass and older. :)

If he was, he's even more full of s*** than I realized.

I think he was just promoting it as the same future as the Fantastic Force one, though. So it's his future of the Marvel universe. So, basically, feel free to ignore it.

Old Man Logan is a future where the Earth is dying, the world's political and economic leaders "have dissappeared" and villians took over.

The future was changed when Reed populated Nu Earth with future immigrants, so the rich and powerful never escaped old Earth - so they actually have to put effort into saving the planet and maintain order. So OML never happens.

I think of it as a cool What If? story and not as canon. :) Still a fun read.

If only the "what if's were is good as this run was. i like it. Like you guys said, Hulk as a redneck, inbreeding, gang member, and Wolverine not popping his claws until the right time. At least Mark Millar kept this story somewhat kinda sorta on schedule, as opposed to his Kick Ass series which issue 8 will be out when I am a hundred.

It is true that this is one of the better What If style stories I have read in a long while. Many of the What If's I have purchased over the years were kinda meh. :(

I loved the whole run and the conclusion as well. Between Kickass and Old Man Logan, I think Millar really stepped up his game. And I think the Russell Crowe, Mickey Rourke suggestions are cool. And I also believe that Hugh Jackman could totally pull it off too:o:awesome:.

Decent ending, wish it had "ended" more conclusively but Millar likes to leave doors open a little bit. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"