Comics Wolverine Vs. Homophobia

Originally posted by mightiest_mortal
Nothing wrong with drugs now and again.

That's just the immature, selfish hedonism talking. :up:

Originally posted by mightiest_mortal
Nothing wrong with drugs now and again.

For many people, it's not just 'now and again', it's ALL THE TIME.

Originally posted by pejo
My hallucinations and I beg to differ, sir.

Beg all you want. People who defend drug abuse don't have anything useful to say about drugs. You either believe in keeping your mental faculties functional and without needless addiction or you don't.

Originally posted by Herr Logan
Beg all you want. People who defend drug abuse don't have anything useful to say about drugs.
Yeah I do, theyre fun :) and have medicinal purposes in certain cases. Plus their illegality, much the same with prostitution, is only fuelling furthur more severe criminal activity which would be cleaned up if they were legal and proper restictions and conditions could be applied to the trade of them. Putting laws on things only ever results in bad things :D

It doesn't matter whether or not they are legal as far as intelligent people abusing them. People who defend their use--whether or not they support legalization-- don't have one God damn thing to say about drug use that's worth anything.

Just because I smoke a joint from time to time doesn't mean I'm a mentally incapacitated addict, you know. I don't have to have my weed to function as an everyday individual and it doesn't rule over my every thought. It isn't as though I'm raiding pharmacies on an insane quest for OxyContin or anything like that.

I don't like it only because most of my friends feel like they have to do it all the time and it's more annoying than anything else. I mean if we do it casually that's cool, but they do it at least three times a day. What's the point? Wait how the hell did this discussion turn into drug abuse>?

I guess the same way "X-Men will make you gay" became a religious debate.

IF you use drugs that make you stupid, temporarily or otherwise, your defense of those drugs is useless and invalid.

You have to remember that not all people respond to the same stimuli in the same manner. I, personally, don't became a giggling ball of stupid when I smoke marijuana. I became very introspective, quiet, peaceful and enjoy the very mild hallucinations and slight feelings of euphoria. My response time may slow a bit, but I don't become oblivious to my surroundings. In fact, my grammatical skills improve when I'm high and my vocabulary seems to dwarf my regular lexicon. I become more creative and think with an amazing amount of clarity, which seems to be the polar opposite of many. More complex mathematics seem to be child's play and my ability to solve problems and recognize patterns is also heightened. Taking a shot or two of 80-proof whiskey has a terrible effect on me, but I can smoke an ounce of weed and score a 147 on an IQ test. That's an actual example, too. I only smoked one joint before that test, but I still came out of it a genius. When I compare this to the score of 128 I got on another IQ test while completely in 'my right mind' I have no choice but to believe that marijuana has no negative effect on my intellegence. It may be destroying my lungs, but the brain is working overtime.

You're still not to be trusted by others.

Congrats on your IQ test. "Genius" level is around 160+, by the way. "High superior"range is about 130+.

I still don't believe we have a definitive answer. Although an interesting fight, we must consider the fullmost question... is this early Claremont Wolverine or 6 foot 6 Wolverine?

Early Claremont Wolverine was a jerk. I'd expect him to be somewhat homophobic or at least have a "Wait, you're telling me they don't like having sex with women" reaction. In other words, your typical American (unless Canada is way ahead of us in gay acceptance... or way behind, depending on how you look at it).

But if he's six-footer Hugh Jackman, Marvel will in no way allow him to become unpopular by making him do anything that's the slightest bit offensive, unless of course Morrison is writing.

What's the difference? Claremont Wolverine might be able to sympathize with homophobists and bring it down to a tolerable level of, well, tolerance. Hugh is more likely to try and end things by attacking a living embodiment of homophobia (K'Weerbashir, that was his name...) While this approach has it's advantages of teaching kids about the dangers of homophobia (namely, that everyone will think you're a backwater idiot and attack you), the disadvantage is that no one ever gets the job done.

Gone And Forgotten said:
In the X-Men:Heroes Against Hope book, the mutant heroes ultimately discover that the famine in drought-struck Ethiopia was being caused (or at least exacerbated) by this alien monster who fed on human suffering. OH, SO HE'S THE GUY! Gut him out hollow, would you Wolverine, and let's get back to punching the Toad in the phiz.

Take, for instance, the well-intentioned Captain Awareness comic, which is certainly trying its hardest for a very worthwhile cause. However, as the tale within the pages unfolds, it turns out that incidents of rape are actually caused by a big smoky monster which possesses men's bodies and makes them do bad things. Whereas I appreciate the sentiment that my gender as a whole is so inherently pure of heart and free of ill will that it takes an all-powerful ethereal being of gross malevolence to turn even the most sociopathic brute into a rapist, I DON'T THINK THAT'S REALLY THE PROBLEM!

This trend is sort of endemic to the super-hero genre as a whole, which often makes villains out of 'embodiments' of emotional or metaphysical states, as well as the occasional elemental and whatever the heck it was Speedball was supposed to be in relation to kinetic energy. OH WAIT, why the hell didn't SPEEDBALL DO AN ANTI-DRUG COMIC? That's automatic GOLD, Marvel! “Don't do me, kids, I'll ruin your life. Say no to me.” IT'S GENIUS!

So the super-hero universes abound with what tend to appear to be normal folk in fright masks and aerobics gear, but who are secretly the universal depository of all the universe's sense of sorrow, hate, apathy, anger, bigotry, what have you. Now me, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool, bleeding heart tree-hugging Leftist, but even I support executing THESE ****s. “So, this is the universal embodiment of all hate in the universe? There'd be no hate without him, am I getting this right? Okay, pardon me, Punisher, may I borrow this?” Boom, problem solved. And here I thought it took a deep understanding of the nature of man and his role in a wide and unresponsive universe to salve the wounds of the human condition, when all you really have to do is beat the guy in the Danskins to death with a crowbar.

At least none of these books had the paucity of good taste to create an anthropomorphic embodiment of child molestation. Not that you really have to, since Marvel's currently doing a pretty good job of BEING that themselves. (Don't believe me? Hey, when was the last time you saw an eight-year old girl with a gargantuan rack and pillowy pudenda? Try X-Men:phoenix. Like your eroticized juveniles a little more photo-realistic? No Trouble at all! And then there is, of course, the latest mutant title, X-Ploitation of Minors! Marvel! Because NAMBLA only lets you hump little boys!)

Which makes it a shame that the PSA comic trend has died down, or at least seriously put the brakes on in the last ten years. Because we sure could use a comic warning kids to stay away from anything Marvel president Bill Jemas has a hand in … ironically, in fact, I think reading any single issue of Marville will pretty much take care of that right out of the gate.

However, Hugh Wolverine has a better healing factor. If the man can survive a nuke, he can survive being dragged behind a truck and being called a "*** LOL!!!11! Ownz!"

However, neither Wolverine can stand against Texas, so they'd better get on the train against the embodiment of Bush bashing, B'ushbashir.

xmentexas.jpg

My mind has officially been blown. I don't know why Cyclops is blowing up a flagpole, why Wolverine is so afraid of giant cowboys, or what possible involvment a pegasus/centaur has, but I think the mortal mind was not meant to know.

Maybe it's a headless horse giving Warren Worthington a *******.

Zev said:
I still don't believe we have a definitive answer. Although an interesting fight, we must consider the fullmost question... is this early Claremont Wolverine or 6 foot 6 Wolverine?

Early Claremont Wolverine was a jerk. I'd expect him to be somewhat homophobic or at least have a "Wait, you're telling me they don't like having sex with women" reaction. In other words, your typical American (unless Canada is way ahead of us in gay acceptance... or way behind, depending on how you look at it).

But if he's six-footer Hugh Jackman, Marvel will in no way allow him to become unpopular by making him do anything that's the slightest bit offensive, unless of course Morrison is writing.

What's the difference? Claremont Wolverine might be able to sympathize with homophobists and bring it down to a tolerable level of, well, tolerance. Hugh is more likely to try and end things by attacking a living embodiment of homophobia (K'Weerbashir, that was his name...) While this approach has it's advantages of teaching kids about the dangers of homophobia (namely, that everyone will think you're a backwater idiot and attack you), the disadvantage is that no one ever gets the job done.

However, Hugh Wolverine has a better healing factor. If the man can survive a nuke, he can survive being dragged behind a truck and being called a "*** LOL!!!11! Ownz!"

However, neither Wolverine can stand against Texas, so they'd better get on the train against the embodiment of Bush bashing, B'ushbashir.

xmentexas.jpg

My mind has officially been blown. I don't know why Cyclops is blowing up a flagpole, why Wolverine is so afraid of giant cowboys, or what possible involvment a pegasus/centaur has, but I think the mortal mind was not meant to know.

Maybe it's a headless horse giving Warren Worthington a *******.

:D that's some funny sh1t.....

Will no one break the stalemate?

But do you not see, Zev? The tie is a perfect way in which to leave the competition. If Wolverine were capable of defeating the menace of homophobia, then he should be able to overcome the similarly based homo(sapiens-superior)phobia which dominates the core of the X-Men. Since that battle can never be won, neither can this one. It's poetic justice...or some **** like that.

Genius level as defined by MENSA was 130+
it depends on the scale used Herr Logan, there were three accepted I.Q. tests last time I checked and all of them operate on slightly different scales.
Of course, for a valid I.Q. test, it has to be administered by a professional proctor, online doesn't count :D

Wolverine would win for sure. Homophobes, being small minded indivuiduals without much brain capacity, would come after Wolverine with things like a board and a rusty nail or a baseball bat. Obviously Wolverine would make short work of them.

Additionally, the homophobes believe God is on their side so they wouldn't protect themselves as well as they should (again, small brain capacity). Since God clearly isn't on their side there would be no act of divine intervention to save them from being gutted by Wolvie's claws. In fact I wouldn't be suprised if the big J.C. showed up at the battle and pulled a "fast ball special" with Wolvie aimed right at Fred Phelps.

but it's not against Homophobes...it's against Homophobia
Adamantium cannot cut thru that dark web

Now this is one thread I NEVER expected to be resurrected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"