Wolverine vs Spiderman

Guyverjay said:
You say its crap yet you'll obviously bring up that MCP issue where spidey acts like an out of character moron:)

Everyone in Secret Wars was out of character.

The Spidey VS Wolverine book I'm bringing up isn't the Erik Larsen thing.

It's the one written by Christopher Priest.

Wolverine is one of the most dangerous people in the M.U.

He's taken out people far stronger and faster than him before.

It's not about whose powers are better on paper, because if it was about strength and speed, that would make Captain America, Black Panther, Hawkeye, Daredevil, Elektra, Punisher, etc a bunch of *****es.

All of them can take down foes far, far out of their power ranges.

If it was about strength and speed Cap and Black Panther would rock the fooking sh** out of Wolverine.

Wolverine cannot break spideys webbing and any instance where he has is bad writing plain and simple. Cut? yes, break? **** no

Webbing can hold a mack truck in place

Guyverjay said:
Wolverine cannot break spideys webbing and any instance where he has is bad writing plain and simple. Cut? yes, break? **** no

Webbing can hold a mack truck in place

"break"=break free of

for future reference.

He's done it, plenty of times.

i think wolverine should do cocaine and just freak out on people like Tony Montana in Scarface

Not Jake said:
If it was about strength and speed Cap and Black Panther would rock the fooking sh** out of Wolverine.

They'll never let a hairy little Canadian beat up an Aryan poster boy wearing the American flag, no matter how much sense it makes. :o

Anyway, Black Panther is a true badass, and he's beaten Cap himself.

Black people get to beat up Cap sometimes, because of white guilt. :up:

Big Dirty Ogre said:
"break"=break free of

for future reference.

He's done it, plenty of times.

Lets face it spidey uses his webbing like we know he can Wolvie is immobilised. and I'd like to see these plenty of times. Because you know even Shang chi can "break free" if he's webbed to a surface that isn't as strong as the webbing itself ie a brick wall.

Wolverine's just not fast enough to lay a finger on Spidey. He's not. Spider-Man's fought circles around Firelord, a former Herald of Galactus - you really think that Wolverine can keep up with him?

gross exaggeration of his powers compared to Firelord aside, what you say is true

You should just shut up Ogre, you're just proving to be an ignorant idiot without any comics knowledge. :)

Big Dirty Ogre said:
They'll never let a hairy little Canadian beat up an Aryan poster boy wearing the American flag, no matter how much sense it makes. :o

lol

but seriously, I don't see many characters turning the superhero community (not too many villians aparantly) upside down the way logan did in millers enemy of the state that just passed.

and how many could take out gorgon, let alone stand up to him?

Big Dirty Ogre said:

If that was meant to be funny,...

It wasn't.

Sarcastic?

Fell flat.

Captain America Has Beaten Wolverine in a straight up dust up.
Spiderman HAS YET to fight Wolverine in the way he has beat the Goblin,.. or even FireLord.
And to my Knowledge Spiderman has only used his full strength of folk like Thor, Loki, The Hulk And Juggernaut.

The pro wolverine fans Gloss over the Fact that Peter is ALWAYS holding back strength wise.

Wolverine has NEVER been punched full in the face by the hulk and kept on coming.
Sorry,.... He's been knocked out by too many people to believe Spiderman can't do it.

On paper and off of it the only way Wolverine wins is IF SPIDERMAN CUTS HIM SOME SLACK.

Getting cut while sparring?
It's canon that Spiderman's Spidersense reacts to active threats.
\
this is how Aunt May was once able to clock him with a vase,.. why J J Jameson could connect with a punch,... why MJ can surprise him with her teeth in bed.

Spiderman fights wolverine,.. he's not touching the guy who can dodge bullets.

That you guys are arguing about it for so long is surprising.

Peace.

Guyverjay said:
Lets face it spidey uses his webbing like we know he can Wolvie is immobilised. and I'd like to see these plenty of times. Because you know even Shang chi can "break free" if he's webbed to a surface that isn't as strong as the webbing itself ie a brick wall.

If Spider-man lived up to his abilities, he'd easily beat up every one of his main villians, every time.

If Wolverine lived up to his full abilities, pretty much every foe he's ever faced would be dead.

So basically, Spider-man wins by webbing Wolverine up, then leaves?

Beating on him would be a waste of time, if that's how he's going to win.

Anyway, it's like saying that shooting a guy with a net gun from 20-30 feet away means you can beat him up.

Lame.

twinkle said:
You should just shut up Ogre, you're just proving to be an ignorant idiot without any comics knowledge. :)

Quiet, you troll. Either add something substantial to the conversation, or shut up.

I hate when someone comes along, sees the popular opinion, and then tries to get a lump in on the guy most people are arguing with.

What a loser.

Varient said:
If that was meant to be funny,...
It wasn't.
Sarcastic?
Fell flat.
Captain America Has Beaten Wolverine in a straight up dust up.
Spiderman HAS YET to fight Wolverine in the way he has beat the Goblin,.. or even FireLord.
And to my Knowledge Spiderman has only used his full strength of folk like Thor, Loki, The Hulk And Juggernaut.
The pro wolverine fans Gloss over the Fact that Peter is ALWAYS holding back strength wise.
Wolverine has NEVER been punched full in the face by the hulk and kept on coming.
Sorry,.... He's been knocked out by too many people to believe Spiderman can't do it.
On paper and off of it the only way Wolverine wins is IF SPIDERMAN CUTS HIM SOME SLACK.
Getting cut while sparring?
It's canon that Spiderman's Spidersense reacts to active threats.
this is how Aunt May was once able to clock him with a vase,.. why J J Jameson could connect with a punch,... why MJ can surprise him with her teeth in bed.
Spiderman fights wolverine,.. he's not touching the guy who can dodge bullets.
That you guys are arguing about it for so long is surprising.
Peace.

Are you offended?

It was a throwaway comment, and I'd scarcely expect that kind of response.

Being so defensive about racial humor is what keeps us divided.

You basically just inadvertantly stated what I did originally.

Spider-man can beat Wolverine, on a spec sheet of his abilities.

He can make Wolverine look like a fool, because Wolverine is a hothead.

He doesn't have a killer's personality, though, and Wolverine will kill when a fight gets serious.

Spider-man holds back, and that's a liabilty.

Spider-man has been made a fool of by bad guys far less formidible than Wolverine, and if he made a mistake like that when fighting Wolverine, he gets gutted.

Spider-man can dodge bullets when far enough away from the shooter.

So can Wolverine.

Wolverine can also have a clip emptied into him, while he runs at you full force, and spills your innards on the dirt.

Spider-man has been shot, punched, stabbed, sliced, etc, etc, etc.

He's been punched by regular human beings plenty of times.

Wolverine at his best is far more formidible than most Spider-man fans are willing to reference.

Read the last 2 Wolverine arcs to see what Wolverine can do.

And quit creating a version of Spider-man that would have the balls to do something besides web him up from far away.

Frankly, Spider-man isn't that stupid.

So until Spider-man undergoes some dramatic personality change, Wolverine has a fair shot at beating him.

Big Dirty Ogre said:
Are you offended?

It was a throwaway comment, and I'd scarcely expect that kind of response.

Being so defensive about racial humor is what keeps us divided.

Tsk,..You got it right in the first line,... Wrong in the second.

Racial humor only works when the subject matter is far enough away from the kernal that produces it.

We are not there yet.

We have too many who make "throw-away comments" that can offend and then expect those around them to "man up" when there is protest.

Sorry,.. I've improved in regards to casual "throw-away comments that ridicule along racial / gender lines by no longer having the urge to beat the azz of the thoughtless individual who believes that because THEY are past it,.. we all should be.

But it doesn't stop me from saying IT WASN"T FUNNY.

Back on topic:

Wolverine is overrated,
Spiderman is artificially underpowered to make better stories,

And a fight between the two of them is all about motive.

look at the Spiderman / Hulk fight and the Wolverine / Hulk fights for reference. Spiderman is pulling up and smacking the hulk with train tracks,...
You don't see this when fighting feebs like wolverine.

Give him a reason other than irritation and Spiderman will Beat wolverine everytime.

(Chuckle) Wolverine Dodge bullets? The fastest I've seen him move is to slice a trank dart out of the air with his claws.

(sigh,.. I'm not even a spidey fan,.....)

Varient said:
Tsk,..You got it right in the first line,... Wrong in the second.
Racial humor only works when the subject matter is far enough away from the kernal that produces it.
We are not there yet.
We have too many who make "throw-away comments" that can offend and then expect those around them to "man up" when there is protest.
Sorry,.. I've improved in regards to casual "throw-away comments that ridicule along racial / gender lines by no longer having the urge to beat the azz of the thoughtless individual who believes that because THEY are past it,.. we all should be.
But it doesn't stop me from saying IT WASN"T FUNNY.

I'm multi racial, and I have racial slurs directed at me fairly often.

What I said was pretty benign. Slavery was a long time ago. I'm 1/4 Native American, and I'm not whining about white people slaughtering most of my ancestors.

I'm hispanic, and I don't cry about how nearly every hispanic character in television history is a ridiculous stereotype.

I'd like to see someone try and beat my ass because I'm more tolerant of ignorance than they are.

I didn't insult anyone's race, or anything of that sort.

White guilt is pretty common, and pretty stupid.

White people shouldn't put up with the double standard of racism because of something an ancestor of theirs may have done 200 years ago.

It's laughable, by any standard, when a person who's hands are clean of racism feels guilty about something they had nothing to do with.

Tell me what part of my statement justifies such harsh scrutiny.

Cap being an Aryan poster boy?

Him getting beat up by a black man ocasionally because of white guilt?

If those issues don't motivate comic storytelling, then why publish something like "TRUTH", which I happened to enjoy, but didn't see a particular reason for.

Was it because it seemed somehow odd that the symbol for American patriotism in Marvel Universe was a blond, blue eyed white man who used to fight buck toothed, slanty eyed, serpent tongued asian men?

Just about every "ehtnic" person I've spoken to on the subject agrees with me.

The only thing worse than a run of the mill racist is an uber-politically correct zealot, who feels the need to reprimand people for making benign statements like the one above.

Varient said:
Back on topic:
Wolverine is overrated,
Spiderman is artificially underpowered to make better stories,

And a fight between the two of them is all about motive.

look at the Spiderman / Hulk fight and the Wolverine / Hulk fights for reference. Spiderman is pulling up and smacking the hulk with train tracks,...
You don't see this when fighting feebs like wolverine.

Give him a reason other than irritation and Spiderman will Beat wolverine everytime.

(Chuckle) Wolverine Dodge bullets? The fastest I've seen him move is to slice a trank dart out of the air with his claws.

(sigh,.. I'm not even a spidey fan,.....)

Spider-man is very fast, but he's not 10 times faster than Wolverine.

I'd say he's 2 to 3 times faster, at best.

Spider-man's agility and reflexes are the reason he can dodge bullets, and only when the shooter is far enough away.

Spider-man isn't Neo. I don't give a **** what it looked like in the movie.

In continuity, he's been punched by regular speed human beings countless times.

Wolverine is overrated, huh?
As a guy who consistently reads Wolverine, and many comics he regularly appears in, I've never seen an overrated character get humiliated so regularly.

He's constantly the butt of jokes, and gets slapped around by everybody and their grandmother.

He pulls it together when he needs to, though, and can take down bad guys far out of his strength and speed league, because he soaks up damage like a sponge.

He has indeed dodged bullets, and when I can think of specific issues, I'll post them. I've read too many to pull them right out.

You don't get to pit optimum, fanboy enhanced, continuity ignoring Spider-man against Garth Ennis's version of Wolverine, or the poorly written tripe in Secret Wars.

Wolverine, in his own book, has done things that I don't believe Spider-man as most consistently characterized in the comics would be capable of.

Wolverine has taken hard punches from Hulk, and stayed very concious.

Hulk is as fast as Spider-man, according to Marvel, and his base strength is 100 tons.

Even at a 10th of his baseline power, his punches are 10 times harder than Spider-man's top punches.

Wolverine has been rag-dolled so harshly by Hulk, nothing Spider-man could do hand to hand would compare.

Wolverine has taken Spider-man's strongest punches, in the Wolverine Vs Spider-man comic written by Jim Owlsley(Christopher Priest) in the 80s.

Spider-man was thinking to himself about how Wolverine was grinning through the fight, just rolling with it.

There are far more instances of Wolverine staying concious after devastating blows, or popping right back up after them, than there are of him being knocked out.

Wolverine has been thrown through so many walls, fallen off of so many buildings, and survived so many other ridiculous things, that the K.O. punch thing is a joke.

I've been in dozens of fights, and I've been knocked straight to the floor with some punches. That didn't stop me from shaking it off, and jumping right back on the bastard.

It ain't over till someone has stopped moving.

You don't need to be a Spider-man fan to be biased.

You just have to be ignorant of Wolverine's history in his own book.

I don't think Wolverine could take down Spider-man everytime, but I think he has a good shot.

Like I said, when Spider-man all of a sudden starts tearing people's arms off, and getting ruthless, I'll believe he can really hurt Wolverine.

He has the ability, but not the mindset to use it.

Maybe if Wolverine knocked up Mary Jane behind his back, or something.

He'd have to go into the fight determined to take Wolverine down, hard.

If he went into the fight the way he always does, making jokes, there's a good chance he'll lose some anatomy.

Varient said:

I believe Spider-man fought and beat Firelord with hit and run tactics...or are you not counting that one cause of the hit and run tactics...tell me if i'm misreading...

Are ya'll still arguing over this?
Wolverine is toast in under 5. He can't get near Spidey to hit him/slice him/ so it's really no contest is it?

I'm just picturing Aunt May standing over Logan's body saying "You got knocked the **** out!"

Seriously,with his superior strength,speed,wall crawling ability,danger sense,webbing and over all smarts, Spider-Man could take Wolverine out.

Imagine this scenario, Spider-Man's reading a book on the Avenger's couch. Suddenly, his spider sense goes off and he dodges Wolverine's attack."Thwip" web shot in Wolvie's face. Next thing he knows is now there's a webline on his chest. Spidey swings him around his head like a helicopter and tosses him out of the window and goes back to reading his book.

Don't get me wrong, Wolverine can scrap with the biggest dogs Marvel has to offer but Spidey has too many advantages to let the X-Man take him.

Sorry

Big Dirty Ogre said:
I'm multi racial, and I have racial slurs directed at me fairly often.

To be clear this justifies in your mind the "right" to do things along the same lines ? Okay.

Big Dirty Ogre said:
What I said was pretty benign. Slavery was a long time ago. I'm 1/4 Native American, and I'm not whining about white people slaughtering most of my ancestors.
??Translation: What I said wasn't so bad,.. I coulda said worse,..
So,... Exactly "Who" is crying about sumbody slaughtering sumbodies ancestors? I told you you were not funny and if sarcastic you missed your mark. When you couldn't accept that - I amplified on the point that regardless of where you are in your head you'd be better served to show more consideration for folk who are not in the same place you are.
You OBVIOUSLY didn't like that either.

Big Dirty Ogre said:
I'm hispanic, and I don't cry about how nearly every hispanic character in television history is a ridiculous stereotype.
???Sigh. I'm sure You'll come to the point of your listing your heritage in defense of being offensive in the post that got my attention.

Big Dirty Ogre said:
I'd like to see someone try and beat my ass because I'm more tolerant of ignorance than they are.
???? You'd actually want someone to beat your azz for being unthinking? or You believe it can't be done?
Interesting.
The most Dangerous men I know make less noise than either of us have to date ,.. and have less tolerance for racially bent "throw-away" comments because I think they believe that someone so careless has missed a life lesson somewhere. May you never meet one when you are feeling extremly thoughtless.

Big Dirty Ogre said:
I didn't insult anyone's race, or anything of that sort.
????
They'll never let a hairy little Canadian
(not REALLY an insult)
beat up an Aryan poster boy wearing the American flag,
("Aryan Poster boy? - you read enough Captain America? are there Black or Brown, or Red Aryan? The character is one of the few whites in comics that NO black person appears to have issues with because he is painfully Whitebreaded boyscout - you can't hate what doesn't hate you if you have any brains.)
Big Dirty Ogre said:
no matter how much sense it makes.

Panther has always been,.. and yess he's beaten Cap - something that is accepted by most old-schoolers given the circumstances - I had no issue with this line other than how it sets up the next.

Big Dirty Ogre said:
Black people get to beat up Cap sometimes, because of white guilt.
Is there a list? (heavy sarcasm)

Big Dirty Ogre said:
White guilt is pretty common, and pretty stupid.

I think that attributing the results of a fight over white guilt is truly stupid.

Big Dirty Ogre said:
White people shouldn't put up with the double standard of racism because of something an ancestor of theirs may have done 200 years ago.

Interesting. I get to hear sumbody say its a double standard in the same week where yet again two white men drove along the road where high school kids were walking to school - two white men who hurled racial curses and insults to the minorities,.. laughed and threw trash at them before continuing on their merry way. The stuff is happening NOW,.. and your silly behind thinks that any attitude exibited by blacks is attributed to something that happened 200 years ago?
Okay.
Sorry prejudice and racism are LEARNED behaviors. Is there a doubt that a black child hit with a bottle by a white man who called him "less than" when all he was doing was walking to school is going to consider anyone with an even hand?
Tsk.

Big Dirty Ogre said:
It's laughable, by any standard, when a person who's hands are clean of racism feels guilty about something they had nothing to do with.

SMH @ U because you seem to have it wrong - that would be a schooling for another medium, I'm not going there with you.

Big Dirty Ogre said:
Tell me what part of my statement justifies such harsh scrutiny.
See above and answer: What exactly was the point? Humor?

Big Dirty Ogre said:
Cap being an Aryan poster boy?
Him getting beat up by a black man ocasionally because of white guilt?

If those issues don't motivate comic storytelling, then why publish something like "TRUTH", which I happened to enjoy, but didn't see a particular reason for.

Scary.
You equate name calling and insults to the story told in truth. You also admit that you couldn't see a need for telling the tale or the retcon. I didn't "Like" the story on many points,.. but I UNDERSTOOD it's point.

Big Dirty Ogre said:
Was it because it seemed somehow odd that the symbol for American patriotism in Marvel Universe was a blond, blue eyed white man who used to fight buck toothed, slanty eyed, serpent tongued asian men?
???? No.

Big Dirty Ogre said:
Just about every "ehtnic" person I've spoken to on the subject agrees with me.
Sigh. I could say the same thing on the other side,.. I'm still waiting for the point in being casually insulting.

Big Dirty Ogre said:
The only thing worse than a run of the mill racist is an uber-politically correct zealot, who feels the need to reprimand people for making benign statements like the one above.
Yup,.. I'm a "Zealot" Uber-politically correct - (1 ea) for tellling you that you were not funny or amusing in any way ANd wasting my time for explaining why.
Live in ignorance - your sort keep the hate going by always throwing your hands up and saying "What?" "What?" after saying or doing something that they find bothers someone else.

On Topic:
Big Dirty Ogre said:
Wolverine is overrated, huh?
Yup

Claws are sharp,... BUT Not one molecule thick. Him carving through a steel door is patently impossible,.. but a trademarked feat. It's not that the claws are not sharp enough,.. it's the fact that he's not strong enough to punch through and shear steel like that. He's not Super strong by Canon,.. and he doesn't get the angle on a cut the best he can do is make sparks against metal,.. form follows function,.. if they were sharp enough to allow him to shear thru metal at his strength level it wouldn't take so many strokes to get through / past something.

Healing factor now considered "regeneration" he has been put down in one punch by folk WEAKER than spiderman,.. and has been beat by daredevil in a straight dust up.
He is the most inconsistatant hero that I read in Marvel seconded by ALL THE UBER-POWERFULL HEROES who can walk through lava one week,.. get a gunshot wound the next, (Thor), His "healing factor fluctuates so much I can't help but notice when he's put down by a weaker opponent.

I see him in the same light as Batman,.. TOO MUCH HYPE outsizing his actual ability.

I read wolverine and watch him as he approaches uber invulnerability.

Spiderman if forced to fight his hero would beat him in hand to hand.

Same for the panther,

Same for all the members of the new avengers save two.

It's been said too many times that the combination of his mid to low level abilities makes him one of the hardest heroes to beat.

If he can lash out fast enough to smack a speedster,...

sidestepping claws are not going to be an issue.

I can admit that wolverine has a "chance" of beating spiderman,....

But so does Aunt May - and how likely is that?

Peace.

ElectroFlare said:
I believe Spider-man fought and beat Firelord with hit and run tactics...or are you not counting that one cause of the hit and run tactics...tell me if i'm misreading...
My point in both cases is that he has beat people structurally stronger than himself and wolverine together, (firelord)
Wolverine DOES GET TIRED.
Wolverine does get hurt,.. and even though he heals ,.. he needs a period to do so,.. this was underlined in the grey hulk wolverine fight, part two.

He has beat people in his strength and speed range who heal faster than he does, (goblin)
I count both fights because it showcases the major diff between spiderman and wolverine.

SuGarRush said:
Are ya'll still arguing over this?
Wolverine is toast in under 5. He can't get near Spidey to hit him/slice him/ so it's really no contest is it?
Nah,.. I got dragged in by a "throw-away" comment.

I'm done.

Yes this is true this has been argued over probably thousands of times but since your a noob I will grant you this one break and not have you killed by cyclops or guyverjay :D

As for the topic at hand. Yes Spidey on paper can take down Wolvie but as mentioned he probably wouldn't. Now I like to argue vs. fights in two fashions.

1) Have the characters fight as they are protrayed in the comics.

2) Have them fight not as they are protrayed but what they are actually capable of, this makes such characters as the Flash and others much more powerful.

Now Wolverine could possibly take Spidey out if pete gets lazy or tires or slips up which is possible. BUT the problem I do have is logan BREAKING pete's webbing. Not cutting I mean breaking, that is asinine. Spider silk is eight times, 8 times stronger than steel cable of the same porportion. Although it can be cut easily with a knife.

I am not talking about Logan cutting through it, I am talking about him using his peak human muscles to break pete's webbing. This SHOULD NOT happen, ever, no matter how mad logan gets. He is not physically strong enough to do so. Cutting through the webbing is one thing, breaking it is another.

Other than that I just think this fight is a draw, Wolverine can go toe to toe with the Hulk, but spidey has done so as well. Spider-Man has a landslide edge in terms of speed, reflexes and agility. No contest hand down, but Wolverine wins easily in the taking a beating dept.

Either of them could knock the other out, pete if he hits logan hard enough could do it and logan the same (adamantium laced knuckels connecting to pete's head should suffice) I just call this a draw :D

Spidey would be hard pressed to do enough damage to logan and logan would be hard pressed to catch pete.

People always bring up how much pain and damage Wolverine can take, but Spidey isn't a light weight. The kid has had the living snot kicked out of him I don't know how many times, even by the juggernaut. Read Spider-Man Nothing Can Stop The Juggernaut Spidey gets owned

Also spidey may not be as strong as the hulk, but he can knock out a reg human with his finger. Yes he has done this before. Yes I know Logan is not a reg human blah blah blah, but he can be cut just as easily as a reg human can, why can't he be knocked out just as easily?

His healing factor means just that, he heals FASTER dosn't necessarily make him more durable, that's his skeleton. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"