Wolverine's Box Office Opponents: 2009 Summer Movies

Great. They may not receive nominations, but you still don't know.

This year its gonna be a close one, between Mickey Rourke for The Wrestler, Hugh Jackman for Australia and of course the winner born - Heath Ledger for The Dark Knight.

*Also, the general consensus is that Ledger will get a Best Supporting Actor nomination.

Trust me, its gonna be Best Actor and my predicted Winner.

I don't know about Best Actor, but I think he'll win if he's nominated for Best Supporting Actor. Speaking of The Dark Knight's success, do you think Christian Bale, coming off of The Dark Knight and being involved in Terminator Salvation will prove to be more competition for Wolverine, especially with Terminator Salvation's PG-13 rating?

Last edited:
I don't know about Best Actor, but I think he'll win if he's nominated for Best Supporting Actor.

If he gets a Best Supporting Actor Nomination (which he won't) he'd be going up against Sabretooth.

Liev Schreiber is being groomed for a Nomination after his role in Edward Zwick's Defiance.

Ironically and comedically, Daniel Craig isn't the one being talked about.

LIEV'S THE MAN!!!

Speaking of The Dark Knight's success, do you think Christian Bale, coming off of Batman Begins and being involved in Terminator Salvation will prove to be more competition for Wolverine, especially with Terminator Salvation's PG-13 rating?

Terminator WILL bank, but I seriously doubt people will choose to watch it more than Wolverine.

Its an all new franchise for the machines, there's no Arnold, and there's no Cameron - which was the reason T3 couldn't top its predecessor.

I'm watching it cause of Roland Kickinger - the perfect actor to play an earlier model of Arnold's T-101 Terminator.

I'll be intersted in seeing how well Terminator Salvation does. It will have Bale, but it won't have Arnold... and if it's PG-13, it could reach a wider audience, especially on Memorial Day weekend. Still, I think Wolverine's release date will prove to be better.

This year its gonna be a close one, between Mickey Rourke for The Wrestler, Hugh Jackman for Australia and of course the winner born - Heath Ledger for The Dark Knight.

*Also, the general consensus is that Ledger will get a Best Supporting Actor nomination.

Trust me, its gonna be Best Actor and my predicted Winner.

Dude, he is not gonna win best actor and I don't think he will be nominated in that category. He will be nominated in Best Supporting but I don't think he will win that either. It is rare when big budget movies have an actor nominated or win anymore. Last I remember was Johnny Depp for Pirates one and it was just a nomination.

I definitely think Liev will be nominated as Supporting and Rourke should atleast be nominated for Wrestler from what I hear.

LOL You forgot the horribly overated Hanah Montana, she's got her own film coming out the same time that could do pretty good damage at the box office meh. I'm not sure how things will go I think it will be a nearly a tie between the Wolverine film and Harry Potter 6 film all the Harry Potter films do pretty good world wide.

I love that nobody's voted for G.I. JOE.

I think they really messed up with the casting on that film.

I love that nobody's voted for G.I. JOE.

I think they really messed up with the casting on that film.

Yeah, casting was wierd. Some of the actors are talented, Joseph Gordan-Levitt and Christopher Eccelston, but most aren't. I was amazed at how stupid their suits look, except for Snake Eyes. I also thought the casting was too young.

It's gonna boil down between Star Trek, Transformers: Revenge of The Fallen, and Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince.

Transformers and Harry Potter are likely to outdo Trek since they're more recent sequels.

I'll give Transformers the slight advantage. It made a bit more than OotP, and I think it'll reach a wider audience gap.

-TNC

Man next summer kinda sucks. At least compared to summer '08. Wolverine is the only must-see for me. All the others just scream "rental".

That Transformers sequel will propably take the cake when it comes to box office. I guess the new Harry Potter is also going to be big. Both movies mean nothing to me personally.

Can't wait for summer 2010 and IM2! Now there's a movie that will conquer all. Including box office.

Man next summer kinda sucks. At least compared to summer '08. Wolverine is the only must-see for me. All the others just scream "rental".

That Transformers sequel will propably take the cake when it comes to box office. I guess the new Harry Potter is also going to be big. Both movies mean nothing to me personally.

Can't wait for summer 2010 and IM2! Now there's a movie that will conquer all. Including box office.

Next summer definitely won't be as good. However, there are quite a few films that I will be seeing. I will be seeing Star Trek and Transformers on opening night. I will probably see Terminator unless the reviews are terrible. I'm not that excited about Wolverine or GI Joe. I've heard too many negative things about GI Joe to stay optimistic. If Wolverine gets bad reviews and a short run time I won't be seeing it. I will see Harry Potter in the theaters.

I think it's gonna go:

1. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
2. Harry Potter
3. Up
4. Da Vinci Code
5. Wolverine
6. G.I. Joe
7. Terminator
8. Star Trek

Look, I love trek as much as the next geek but I don't care how you try to relaunch it, regular people just do NOT dig star trek like that. Who are we kidding? Mentioning it being in the top 2 or 3 is downright silly. I'm thinking it if hits 100 million it will be an MAJOR victory. There won't be any future treks for awhile again but this was never gonna be an number 1 performer. If this was Terminator 3, PRE release, this new Terminator would've had an shot but afterwards, it'll perform but it won't be huge. GI Joe will do better than you all expect as it's marketing will be gigantic, particularly when it comes to toys, t-shirts, etc. It'll be everywhere. Wolverine will at least break 160 or so based on opening first out of the gate and still being an x-men movie but if it hits 200 million, that'll be the best it can do. UP will perform cause it's Pixar and that's about it. Transformers will dominate everything.

And fast and the furious is an non-factor. People no longer care about Diesal or Walker and the franchise goes down lower and lower with each new film. It'll top out at 70 million if it's lucky.

Last edited:
I think it's gonna go:

1. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
2. Harry Potter
3. Up
4. Da Vinci Code
5. Wolverine
6. G.I. Joe
7. Terminator
8. Star Trek

I got a bad feeling G.I. Joe will tank after the first weekend. I bet it will be like an hour and 25 minutes and the cast looks bad.

Everything else looks pretty spot on but Angels and Demons might not do as well because the last movie wasn't well reviewed.

Harry Potter and Transformers 2 are imo the likeliest to dominate the summer box office.

I think Wolverine will do well despite whatever negative feelings people may have towards X3. Just judging the box office numbers of the X-Men trilogy so far and it's fair to say that X-Men is are popular amongst the general audience which is why it was a good move by Fox to add X-Men Origins to the title.

Wolverine and Hugh Jackman's popularity plus the inclusion of fan faves such as Gambit and Deadpool is sure to draw in the masses. Plus May has always proven to be a lucrative month for Marvel.:wolverine
I got a bad feeling G.I. Joe will tank after the first weekend. I bet it will be like an hour and 25 minutes and the cast looks bad.
Gi Joe is such a tough one to call. It has a big fanbase through the animated show and merchandise but the promotion so far has been awfully lowkey for what's hoped to be the first in a series of films.:o

Harry Potter and Transformers 2 are imo the likeliest to dominate the summer box office.

I think Wolverine will do well despite whatever negative feelings people may have towards X3. Just judging the box office numbers of the X-Men trilogy so far and it's fair to say that X-Men is are popular amongst the general audience which is why it was a good move by Fox to add X-Men Origins to the title.

Wolverine and Hugh Jackman's popularity plus the inclusion of fan faves such as Gambit and Deadpool is sure to draw in the masses. Plus May has always proven to be a lucrative month for Marvel.:wolverine

Gi Joe is such a tough one to call. It has a big fanbase through the animated show and merchandise but the promotion so far has been awfully lowkey for what's hoped to be the first in a series of films.:o

I definitely agree that it is Harry Potter and Transformers for the money.

As for X-3, it was still the highest grossing of the series and the X-Men movies have gone well beyond the fanbase to make money, it seems, based on the money that X-3 was well liked by the general audience and that only helps Wolverine sales.

As you said with Hugh Jackman's popularity and once Australia, especially with it getting the best picture buzz and comparisons to Gone with the Wind, hits theatres and is as big as the buzz is then that can only help Wolverine's sales as he becomes more of a household name.

I agree GI Joe is a tough call. I would like to see Joseph Gordan Levitt play Cobra Commander. I think selling the intriguing villain can help because the Joe's cast is terrible. In the end, it looks like crap from the promo pictures so it will probably bomb.

As for X-3, it was still the highest grossing of the series and the X-Men movies have gone well beyond the fanbase to make money, it seems, based on the money that X-3 was well liked by the general audience and that only helps Wolverine sales.
X3 had a huge opening and terrible legs, not unlike Spider-Man 3.

The point is, X3 still made more money than X2, that was the only point.
No, the point he was getting at was that people enjoyed X3 based on the numbers, when it actually made most of its money OW. It made basically the same amount of money over the 4 day Memorial Day weekend that IJ4 made over that weekend this year, but ended up making about $80 million less overall.

Yeah, it fizzled out. My post's meaning is that the more Hugh Jackman and Wolverine become household names the better Wolverine's numbers will be.

Did Spidey 3 slow down, too? I thought it made the most money out of the three? I can see why it fizzle out if it did.

In a way both of you are right. It seems more people saw it. And the more people see it maybe people will want to know who he was before the trilogy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"