BvS Wonder Woman's Role in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Part 1

I don’t think Gadot was hired with the expectation that she would (or could) lose her accent. As noted, her accent was probably a plus. :cwink: Still, I assume accents can be toned down to some degree with the benefit of written lines and rehearsal - while they remain stronger during natural/extemporaneous speech.

Exactamundo.

Interesting

What I got from that is Morrison wants Wonder Woman to bring feminine qualities to the table. And he made a good point about Wonder Woman's snarling face in the trailer. Do we really want women to think in order to be 'tough' they have to be angry and should physically be able to go head to head with somebody built like Henry Cavil? Its a really poor way to promote gender equality. Physically a woman cannot compete with a man. So these movies that show women doing that are sending a pseudo message. Especially movies like this one which show the women matching the men despite looking like they never lifted a single weight in their life. Now to be fair Hollywood in general is guilty of this.

And the guy who created Wonder Woman is right. Many of the attributes that are most admirable about a female like being tender, submissive, peace-loving etc are considered 'weak', especially today. Except theres nothing weak about those qualities. It takes a bigger person to be that way then it does to be the opposite.

Its all part of the whole misguided gender equality thing. A 'strong' female character in a movie is often mistakenly considered one that fires weapons, beats people up, etc. In reality, a woman's biggest strengths are in her character.

You're silly.

I don't think this film introduced WW as a snarling warrior. It's been around for much longer. Why didn't he say anything about these fan-made films before or even the Adrianne Palicki pilot where she was always snarling to look tough and constantly had that unbecoming tough ***** scowl face?

And the thing is that just because you're a pacifist, that doesn't mean you still couldn't take up arms or fight when the need absolutely arises. It just means that WW isn't trigger happy, bloodthirsty and always ready to go into battle at the drop of a hat. And even a pacifist could reasonably grit their teeth into some kind of snarl in a battle scenario.

Just think of these tennis players when they serve. I'm sure many could be pacifists, but if you look at the expressions on their face when they launch themselves to hit the ball, it looks virtually like a snarl or shout.

And the great thing about Gal is that she doesn't have that tough ***** face when she is engaged in battle as WW. She still has a regal look and an open, beautiful face. The most she is like is like a tennis player. It's a very far cry from how Palicki looked or any of these Ronda Rousey or other wrestler/ cage fighter-type of expressions.

Didn't Palicki's Wonder Woman torture a guy in a hospital bed in that "pilot"?

Eh, I am actually more for staying away from double identity trope and anything that implies it as far as possible.

She can't possibly have a double identity. The only difference between her in her Wonder Woman outfit and out of it is her hair.

Well, for some people it's much easier to change accents than other. I was just talking about Eva Green the other day, even though she's speaking English all the time and is really acting her ass off in "Penny Dreadful" her French accent still tends to slip every now and then. Bale on the other hand seems to change his Welsh accent into American with no problem, even choosing to speak in American English in interviews when promoting the movies.

Recalling that Gadot's English wasn't really spotless, that she improved just recently and that she also doesn't spend all that much time in the English-speaking countries, I assume that it might be harder for her to do so naturally without being too aware of every word she speaks. Still, as I said, it is not needed anyway, as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, we're going through that awkward phase right now.

"I was born in Wales but I'm not Welsh - I'm English."

- Christian Bale

Wait, someone looked angry in a fight scene? I'm shocked.

Wait, someone looked angry in a fight scene? I'm shocked.

Don't know about you, but I always smile when I'm punching people and am smearing their blood across the wall. Sometimes even laugh. Or sing.

:o

Don't know about you, but I always smile when I'm punching people and am smearing their blood across the wall. Sometimes even laugh. Or sing.

:o

:funny:

Wonder Woman's not allowed to look or feel angry ever.

Ironically if she was smiling cheerfully as she was attacking you it would make it more scary.

I do get where Morrison is coming from, but that line about her snarling is ridiculous. :woot:

Ironically if she was smiling cheerfully as she was attacking you it would make it more scary.

Yup. That's why Harley Quinn is in this universe. :cwink:

I kind of doubt her being an Amazon Princess from a magical island is common knowledge. She probably won't have a "secret ID" per se, like a whole separate life, a job ect., but she as Diana of The Amazons/Wonder Woman is not in the official public record yet.

Interesting

What I got from that is Morrison wants Wonder Woman to bring feminine qualities to the table. And he made a good point about Wonder Woman's snarling face in the trailer. Do we really want women to think in order to be 'tough' they have to be angry and should physically be able to go head to head with somebody built like Henry Cavil? Its a really poor way to promote gender equality. Physically a woman cannot compete with a man. So these movies that show women doing that are sending a pseudo message. Especially movies like this one which show the women matching the men despite looking like they never lifted a single weight in their life. Now to be fair Hollywood in general is guilty of this.

And the guy who created Wonder Woman is right. Many of the attributes that are most admirable about a female like being tender, submissive, peace-loving etc are considered 'weak', especially today. Except theres nothing weak about those qualities. It takes a bigger person to be that way then it does to be the opposite.

Its all part of the whole misguided gender equality thing. A 'strong' female character in a movie is often mistakenly considered one that fires weapons, beats people up, etc. In reality, a woman's biggest strengths are in her character.
Worst post ever.

Grant Morrison thinks he has a firm idea about this portrayal of WW from, like, five seconds of footage?

I like Morrison, but.... gurl, come on. :o

Everything is all interdimensional and new age-y with that guy.

There is a guy in 2015 who just wrote a post about submission being a good attribute for a woman to have. I just can't ****ing get over that.

I'm not tender or submissive and if you can't deal with that fellas then you can **** off.

Interesting

tumblr_mqgbwsvuG81qb05aco2_250.gif

Grant Morrison thinks he has a firm idea about this portrayal of WW from, like, five seconds of footage?
I gather you haven't seen the reaction to Affleck's Bruce Wayne? Or Eisenberg's Lex?

Granted, it was 20 seconds of footage... :o

I gather you haven't seen the reaction to Affleck's Bruce Wayne? Or Eisenberg's Lex?

Granted, it was 20 seconds of footage... :o

Well, I mean, those reactions are coming from internet folk. They're not exactly the pinnacle of rational thought. Or thought period, in some cases. This is Grant Morrison.

And the thing about him bringing up the creator's original intentions with the character... in their first appearances, Batman had a gun in each hand and Superman was almost hilariously rough with ordinary humans. Both of those things changed/got phased out over time.

Well, I mean, those reactions are coming from internet folk. They're not exactly the pinnacle of rational thought. Or thought period, in some cases. This is Grant Morrison.

And the thing about him bringing up the creator's original intentions with the character... in their first appearances, Batman had a gun in each hand and Superman was almost hilariously rough with ordinary humans. Both of those things changed/got phased out over time.

Until that one was brought back. By Grant Morrison, funnily enough.

Last edited:
As established of a successful writer he is, Grant's a fanboy just like the rest of us and is bound to the same pitfalls one makes on things like these.

There is a guy in 2015 who just wrote a post about submission being a good attribute for a woman to have. I just can't ****ing get over that.

I'm not tender or submissive and if you can't deal with that fellas then you can **** off.
I was too busy just laughing at it but I echo what you said. :funny: This is the guy irritated about rainbow signs protesting Superman.

"Do we really want women to think in order to be 'tough' they have to be angry and should physically be able to go head to head with somebody built like Henry Cavil? Its a really poor way to promote gender equality. Physically a woman cannot compete with a man. So these movies that show women doing that are sending a pseudo message."

Xr87jPz.png

I think since 90 percent of the superhero genre is a male power fantasy, WW should be the ultimate female power fantasy. If she engages a superhuman threat, I'll be more than happy.

I find myself scratching my head at people who are upset that GG didn't "bulk up" to play WW. I'm sorry but women, especially women with naturally lanky limbs like GG can build a lot of strength without ever looking outwardly bulky. Look at little Kacy Catanzaro from American Ninja Warrior - her strength to weight ratio is insane, she's 5' tall and >100 lbs but if you see her just walking around you'd think she was just a skinny little thing. A lot of women athletes just don't bulk up. It doesn't mean they're not kick***.

Funnily enough, Lynda Carter often had a broad smile when throwing her lasso over the bad guys. It was like an attitude of "do it with a smile" while fighting for justice, almost like a "whistle while you work" attitude.

Ya know what? Maybe she's just there in her own special side story. Maybe, it has nothing to do with Batman or Superman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"