Worst Best Picture Winner of the 2000s

I didn't care for Chicago..I loved Million Dollar Baby and Crash though,I liked A Beautiful Mind,but didn't love it.Gladiator was alright,but not much else came out that year.

Cast Away should have won as well as Tom Hanks for Best Actor.

Chicago was horrible, it didnt' deserve best pic.

To all those saying Chicago....WHY?

Seriously, why is it the worst, especially when something as mediocre as Million Dollar Baby or contrived as Crash is on this list? Are people really so incapable now of enjoying what is a great musical simply because it is a musical?

People like films about tongue swallowing euthanasia and silly plot contrivances more than they like tap dancing.

Seriously, I dont know why Return of the King isn't on the list :whatever: it was the worst of the LOTR series. I vote for ROTK then Million dollar baby... On this list, Crash is the best

Of course you want to see Return of the King on here. You're a troll.

a beautiful mind- bored the hell out of me
at least in chicago there were some great song and dances to entertain me

To all those saying Chicago....WHY?

Seriously, why is it the worst, especially when something as mediocre as Million Dollar Baby or contrived as Crash is on this list? Are people really so incapable now of enjoying what is a great musical simply because it is a musical?

Because with everything on that list, Chicago was the worst.
...and I hope that you don't quote me and try to change my mind. :csad:

I would have said Return of the King, but since its not on the poll then this thread isn't worthy of my time. ;)

lol. Just kidding. I don't know why people hate Million Dollar Baby. It was a good movie. Does every boxing movie have to be inspirational Rocky movie? Heck, even Raging Bull had somewhat of a happy ending. Even after all the crap Jake went through he still managed to dust himself off. I liked Million Dollar Baby cause it was different. Was it the best movie of 2004? Hell no but it was good.

People also hate Gladiator. Why? It was a summer blockbuster that managed to be very entertaining even though there was A LOT of problems behind the scenes. It proves how talented Ridley Scott is as a director. He managed to make a really good movie even though he never even had a completed script and his star Russell Crowe was getting badly injured doing the stunts.

Chicago was good. People just hate musicals nowadays.

A Beautiful Mind was good too. It wasn't really my cup of tea but I enjoyed it.

Which now leaves us with Crash. The movie I'm voting for. I thought it was alright. Nothing special really. Crash is a movie about racism written and directed by a white man. wow. :dry: I liked Crash. Don't get me wrong, but I thought it was really overrated. I'd take Spike Lee's Do The Right Thing anyday over Crash.

WHAT!? CHICAGO!?

Okay, so here is where I am more right than anyone:

Chicago offered movie-goers something not only compelling, but new and invigorating. It was a commentary on the nature of innocence and guilt and if there is anyone who didn't get shot back into their seat by the editing and seamlessness of the songs and film should be shot.

F--- all 23 of you.

Can people not read anymore...

"(For the sake of common sense, Return of the King has been omitted"

People (myself included) voted against Million Dollar Baby because it was a poorly written, heavy handed and contrived "prestiege piece" that screamed "I want an Oscar" and robbed Scorcese again in one of his best efforts (The Aviator).

And those against Chicago still have not said WHY. Why is it the worst? I'd argue it is more nuanced than Gladiator or Million Dollar Baby or Crash (though of those three I think Gladiator is better than Chicago....only Gladiator) and is very well made near flawless movie.

I want to hear the reasoning. And if you say "it's just tap dancing" than ROTK "is just overly long cartoon battle sequences." You can easily do that to any movie.

P.S. ROTK being omitted is ignorant and makes this poll stupid because it is already biased. ROTK I liked and probably would have voted for if I were in the position, but it is not above criticism, in fact of all 3 LOTR movies, it is probably the most suceptable to it. Not to mention many people felt Mystic River and/or Master and Commander were better that year too though.

People (myself included) voted against Million Dollar Baby because it was a poorly written, heavy handed and contrived "prestiege piece" that screamed "I want an Oscar" and robbed Scorcese again in one of his best efforts (The Aviator).

take the robbing of Scorcese out and you could say the EXACT same thing about A Beautiful Mind.

P.S. ROTK being omitted is ignorant and makes this poll stupid because it is already biased. ROTK I liked and probably would have voted for if I were in the position, but it is not above criticism, in fact of all 3 LOTR movies, it is probably the most suceptable to it. Not to mention many people felt Mystic River and/or Master and Commander were better that year too though.

it's still better than all the candidates in the poll, no matter how you slice it.

DA, the reason ROTK was omitted is simple:

The film was a technical and historical achievement (representing the trilogy as a whole) and is one of few films to match tremendous critical success with even greater commercial success. And while a few critics may have wanted to see Coppolla's Lost in Translation take the crown, FEW (and I mean FEW) believed Mystic River or Master and Commander deserved Best Picture over King.

The other five winners, however, were all hotly debated after the awards. Did Gladiator really deserve it over Traffic? What about Chicago over Two Towers or The Pianist? Crash over Brokeback? Baby over Aviator? And Mind, which wasn't even the third best reviewed film of its year?

This is a FREAKING COMIC BOOK BOARD. That includes the closely associated genres of fantasy and sci-fi. If you genuinely think that Return of the King getting the award is worse than any of those other movies listed, you're on the wrong board bud.

I've never understood the point of musicals.

I don't know of a single instance in my life where I've bust out into a song and dance number, and complete strangers come out of nowhere and join in and somehow can follow along to the song that I'm making up as I go along.

And those against Chicago still have not said WHY. Why is it the worst? I'd argue it is more nuanced than Gladiator or Million Dollar Baby or Crash (though of those three I think Gladiator is better than Chicago....only Gladiator) and is very well made near flawless movie.

I want to hear the reasoning. And if you say "it's just tap dancing" than ROTK "is just overly long cartoon battle sequences." You can easily do that to any movie.

Poorly written? Can you do better? Can you write better dialogue than Paul Haggins? I don't see producers lining up to get your screenplays made into films. M$B was an excellent film,you just can't see that.

DA, the reason ROTK was omitted is simple:

The film was a technical and historical achievement (representing the trilogy as a whole) and is one of few films to match tremendous critical success with even greater commercial success. And while a few critics may have wanted to see Coppolla's Lost in Translation take the crown, FEW (and I mean FEW) believed Mystic River or Master and Commander deserved Best Picture over King.

The other five winners, however, were all hotly debated after the awards. Did Gladiator really deserve it over Traffic? What about Chicago over Two Towers or The Pianist? Crash over Brokeback? Baby over Aviator? And Mind, which wasn't even the third best reviewed film of its year?

It's still dumb to leave it out. The poll asks which film deserved it the least, and if someone feels that it's ROTK (as some here have) then they should be able to vote for it.

I've never understood the point of musicals.

I don't know of a single instance in my life where I've bust out into a song and dance number, and complete strangers come out of nowhere and join in and somehow can follow along to the song that I'm making up as I go along.

I never remember a time in my life where I was bitten by a radioactive spider, made up a costume and started swinging from building to building while being chased by a man with four mechanical arms.

The point of movies aren't always about reality.

I never remember a time in my life where I was bitten by a radioactive spider, made up a costume and started swinging from building to building while being chased by a man with four mechanical arms.

The point of movies aren't always about reality.
I was bitten by a radioactive spider once. Then I broke out in song.

Of course you want to see Return of the King on here. You're a troll.
Okay, thanks :huh:

It's still dumb to leave it out. The poll asks which film deserved it the least, and if someone feels that it's ROTK (as some here have) then they should be able to vote for it
Exactly. Just cause its a geek favorite doesnt mean everyones gonna like it. I personally thought it was a peice of crap, and I liked the first two. But out of that list I go with Million Dollar Baby, it was a good movie but I was expecting a lot more since it was getting so much good reviews

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"