The Amazing Spider-Man Worst, most annoying suggestions you've heard

Any mention of Carnage being in the movie. He is one of the lamest Spidey villains ever. I'd much rather see the classics that havent been done yet. Like Mysterio,Shocker,Electro,Rhino,Kraven,Hydroman,Morbius,Hobgoblin,Tombstone before him

I agree...minus Morbius, Hydroman, and Tombstone.

Also, I think the opportunity to use the Hobgoblin came and went with Harry Osborn becoming the "New Goblin" instead. Lame.

I'm saying if they were going to use the name "Hobgoblin", they should have named Harry Osborn the Hobgoblin, like in Ultimate Spider-Man.

Ned Leeds, or Roderick Kingsley, or whoever else, as the Hobgoblin is uninteresting and the films didn't have time to introduce these characters, and by now it's redundant to bring in ANOTHER goblin, especially if he's just a guy who stumbles on one of Norman Osborn's old hideouts. That's exactly what Harry did. He even had a cool-looking gold mask that he didn't use.

If they try to bring in Hobgoblin now, it would be lame. If they really wanted to use the name "Hobgoblin", it should have been Harry.

I'm saying if they were going to use the name "Hobgoblin", they should have named Harry Osborn the Hobgoblin, like in Ultimate Spider-Man.

This is one reason I'm glad Raimi is doing the movies, he'll base the movies on the classic comics not these 'Ultimate' re-vamps. that's partly what messed up the Fantastic Four movies, too much Ultimate FF and not enough classic.
Ned Leeds, or Roderick Kingsley, or whoever else, as the Hobgoblin is uninteresting and the films didn't have time to introduce these characters,

Of course they would, they're planning to go up to at least a Spider-man 6, and that won't be the end of teh movies either I imagine.

The whole point about the original Hobgoblin story was that it was a big mystery as to who he was, and whether he would find out Spidey's secret too while ransacking Osborn's old hideouts and journals.

and by now it's redundant to bring in ANOTHER goblin, especially if he's just a guy who stumbles on one of Norman Osborn's old hideouts. That's exactly what Harry did. He even had a cool-looking gold mask that he didn't use.

If they try to bring in Hobgoblin now, it would be lame. If they really wanted to use the name "Hobgoblin", it should have been Harry.

If they had just named Harry the Hobgoblin it would not have been hobgoblin, you sound like you just wanted a different outfit for Harry.
Apart from the potentially good story they could do well with the Hobgoblin as both Goblins onscreen did not live up to the full potential that a Goblin could have onscreen.

David pretty much said everything :up:

This is one reason I'm glad Raimi is doing the movies, he'll base the movies on the classic comics not these 'Ultimate' re-vamps. that's partly what messed up the Fantastic Four movies, too much Ultimate FF and not enough classic.

Mmm, the Fantastic Four movies sucked because they sucked. They had a crappy script that was influenced just as much by the classic comics as the Ultimate ones. I argue that the first six issues of Ultimate Fantastic Four were really good, and a great way to do the sixties heroes' origins today.

Sometimes it's good to look at how they did it in the Ultimates, like when it came to Venom. Bless Raimi for trying a villain he didn't like, but the origin of Venom in Ultimate Spider-Man was better suited for the movies than the classic one: alien goo landing next to Peter in the park.

Also, may I make this point as to another reason Fantastic Fours sucked: Jessica Alba. Thank you. =)

Of course they would, they're planning to go up to at least a Spider-man 6, and that won't be the end of teh movies either I imagine.

The whole point about the original Hobgoblin story was that it was a big mystery as to who he was, and whether he would find out Spidey's secret too while ransacking Osborn's old hideouts and journals.

While I like the mystery aspect you're talking about, I think it works best in a monthly comic and not a two-hour movie. The Original Green Goblin was even introduced this way in the comics, and it was a great reveal when Norman Osborn was behind the mask. Spider-Man 1 didn't have the time to set that up, so you saw Osborn take the performance enhancers from the get go.

The mystery aspect worked on The Spectacular Spider-Man again, though, which I really liked, so I DO think it's cool. Just not for the movies or future movies. Not enough time to do it justice.

If they had just named Harry the Hobgoblin it would not have been hobgoblin, you sound like you just wanted a different outfit for Harry.
Apart from the potentially good story they could do well with the Hobgoblin as both Goblins onscreen did not live up to the full potential that a Goblin could have onscreen.

Yeah I wanted a different, cooler motif for Harry. Guilty. =)

But my point is this; they could spend time on a Hobgoblin story in the future that could TRY to live up to a "Goblin" potential, but if they were going to do that, I would rather they bring back Norman Osborn and they do a story that lives up to the full potential of both THE Green Goblin AND Norman Osborn. He could come back full on, medieval, chain-mail decked out like in Marvel Knights Spider-Man, my favorite Goblin costume ever.

While I like the mystery aspect you're talking about, I think it works best in a monthly comic and not a two-hour movie. The Original Green Goblin was even introduced this way in the comics, and it was a great reveal when Norman Osborn was behind the mask. Spider-Man 1 didn't have the time to set that up, so you saw Osborn take the performance enhancers from the get go.

The mystery aspect worked on The Spectacular Spider-Man again, though, which I really liked, so I DO think it's cool. Just not for the movies or future movies. Not enough time to do it justice.

But my point is this; they could spend time on a Hobgoblin story in the future that could TRY to live up to a "Goblin" potential, but if they were going to do that, I would rather they bring back Norman Osborn and they do a story that lives up to the full potential of both THE Green Goblin AND Norman Osborn. He could come back full on, medieval, chain-mail decked out like in Marvel Knights Spider-Man, my favorite Goblin costume ever.

I think they could have a good stab at it though. They could have one great movie where Spidey is frantic throughout the whole movie trying to track down this Hobgoblin before he stumbles on any info on his secret ID Norman or Harry might have left sitting around. A real fast paced movie.
If they set up a few characters in the preceding movie/s like Ned Leeds, Lance Bannon, what have you, and leave them open for the Hobgoblin's secret ID, bonus. If a forward thinking director was in control of two movies or a trilogy he could leave a couple of clues and red herrings leading up the Hobgoblin's appearance.
Sure, a monthly comic does this best, but that's the same for most things in comicbook movies. We get the thrill of seeing these guys in the flesh but there's a trade off as they are so expensive to produce.

As for Goblin onscreen potential, well, I'd prefer they stayed in this continuity, even if new people come in for a 're-boot'. I'd rather we had the Hobgoblin next as opposed to Norman re-vamped.
With Norman we had him in a movie where he was facing Spider-man for only half the film, and there were no great airel battles to speak of.
With Harry we got one great airel battle, but then he shared the movie with 2 other villans and many sub-plots.
You do a Hobgoblin movie you get him onscreen against Spidey the whole movie, Spidey frantic about his family and friends safety if he finds out his secret ID, lots of airel battles, Goblin revealed, the full shebang, I'd like to see it, it could be done.

Re: Ultimate comics. I admit i have not read any FF or Spidey Ultimates, but I understand the Glactus cloud was somewhat of a compromise and was like the thing they did in the Ultimate books with him composed of lots of tiny thingmabobs.
I've seen pictures from Ultimate Spidey of villans etc and have not been interested in it tbh, I would just be scared that a director would turn to them instead of using the original strong concepts.

I was actually suggesting, David, that they bring Norman Osborn back from the "dead," in this current movie continuity, and spend their time and effort placing clues and whatnot for Osborn, with a big "medieval" Goblin-reveal in Spider-Man 6.

Like, instead of spending all their story-telling efforts on Ned Leeds or Kingsley or someone. Follow the original comics that stated Osborn gained a slow-working healing factor with his performance enhancers, and he fakes his death, goes to Europe, and tries to control Harry from the sidelines into taking over as the Green Goblin. I must admit, Norman Osborn is my favorite movie villain, and Willem Dafoe definitely adds to that with his awesome performance. I want to see him come back.

I could totally see the movie you're talking about, the fast-paced mystery, but I would rather see them bring back Norman. This idea would still need a forward thinking director to bring back Osborn and the Goblin over the course of the next three movies.

I also want to see a great aerial battle between Spidey and the Green Goblin. And plenty of Spidey frantic about his family, since Osborn knows: "you have to attack his heart!"

RE: Ultimate Comics. Give some of them a shot, especially Spider-Man, the Ultimates (Avengers), Fantastic Four's first collected story, and X-Men's first few stories. A lot of the time, they do things better than the films, and if you know what to pick and choose, it can be good source material. I only read the first half of the 3 Galactus books they did, and although it had some interesting ideas and it was certainly creepy, Galactus is a character that needs to be represented as a Giant Purple Being. You can't do it any other way. I like the Ultimate line as movie source material when they use a combination of these and the original stories, which for the most part, they seem to do. Nice chatting with you.

I was actually suggesting, David, that they bring Norman Osborn back from the "dead," in this current movie continuity, and spend their time and effort placing clues and whatnot for Osborn, with a big "medieval" Goblin-reveal in Spider-Man 6.

Like, instead of spending all their story-telling efforts on Ned Leeds or Kingsley or someone. Follow the original comics that stated Osborn gained a slow-working healing factor with his performance enhancers, and he fakes his death, goes to Europe, and tries to control Harry from the sidelines into taking over as the Green Goblin. I must admit, Norman Osborn is my favorite movie villain, and Willem Dafoe definitely adds to that with his awesome performance. I want to see him come back.

Yeah, I know what you mean about wanting Dafoe back, he was one of the great movie super-villans. But, I don't know about bringing him back from the dead. I'd rather they tried to get someone in who could match him for quality in a new villan, they always run the risk of diluting or bismirching the previous appearance if ot comes off hokey.

I was away from buying superhero comics for about 10yrs and was shocked when I picked up a book that mentioned Norman was back, I didn't really like the idea. It was good to see him back in 'New days to die', but part of me wishes they'd just stuck with the original death as the original arc and death was pretty perfect.
I don't even want to know about all that ret-conned stuff about Gwen Stacey having a kid or kids with him or something, jeez, can't they find new characters and mythologies to write about. Although, to be fair i haven't read that story so might enjoy it for all I know.
cheers for the recommends on the Ultimate books, I do like Mark Miller's stuff, Kick-Ass, 1985, Enemy of the state, Civil War, and didn't realise until yesterday it was he who wrote UFF, I'll have to have a look at it sometime and not be such an old 616 stick in the mud.

Yeah, I know what you mean about wanting Dafoe back, he was one of the great movie super-villans. But, I don't know about bringing him back from the dead.

Well, the idea is that he wouldn't be dead, he would have faked his death to mess with Peter's life from a distance. But after he loses his son, he comes back and puts his master plan (The Sinister Six) into motion.

I was away from buying superhero comics for about 10yrs and was shocked when I picked up a book that mentioned Norman was back, I didn't really like the idea. It was good to see him back in 'New days to die', but part of me wishes they'd just stuck with the original death as the original arc and death was pretty perfect.
I don't even want to know about all that ret-conned stuff about Gwen Stacey having a kid or kids with him or something, jeez, can't they find new characters and mythologies to write about. Although, to be fair i haven't read that story so might enjoy it for all I know.

I like some of the stuff that came after Osborn came back, like him being more of a schemer, kidnapping MJ and taking her to the Gwen Stacy bridge, and him putting together the Sinister Twelve. Plus he thought that fighting Peter gave him purpose in his life. I love that stuff =)

And I think Millar plotted the first book from Ultimate Fantastic Four, while Brian Michael Bendis wrote the dialogue. Awesome.

- Bringing Norman Osborn back. The Osborn/Goblin story is done!
- Bruce Campbell as Mysterio. Campbell is the cameo guy. Not a villain. Might as well make Stan Lee a villain, too.
- Any symbiote related villains in Spider-Man 4. Raimi hates them.
- Peter and MJ getting married. They proved in SM-3 they were too immature for a stable relationship. No way are they ready for marriage. They haven't even lived together yet.

- Bringing Norman Osborn back. The Osborn/Goblin story is done!
- Bruce Campbell as Mysterio. Campbell is the cameo guy. Not a villain. Might as well make Stan Lee a villain, too.
- Any symbiote related villains in Spider-Man 4. Raimi hates them.
- Peter and MJ getting married. They proved in SM-3 they were too immature for a stable relationship. No way are they ready for marriage. They haven't even lived together yet.

:up:

THIS.

vanessa hudgens as liz allen. :dry:

You got that from the SM4 trivia section at imdb right? That was most likely submitted by some 14 year old. I don't think anyone on this board actually suggested that.

You got that from the SM4 trivia section at imdb right? That was most likely submitted by some 14 year old. I don't think anyone on this board actually suggested that.

no, someone on the SPIDER-MAN 4 IMDB messageboard suggested that.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0948470/board/thread/147269148?d=147282499&p=1#147282499

Haha, thats a good and obvious point. Luckily more modern characters like the X-Men are more diverse. But yeah its a serious deficiency considering the racial makeup of the US. But saying that they shouldn't just make all the villians, black/latino/asian, thats just lame. Thats why I'm all for making Liz Allen's be played by Vanessa Hudgens, and not the steretypical white/blonde chick.

:doh:

This is why I don't take 98% of the people who post there seriously.

Well if you haven't seen it already this was in the trivia section.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000600/
Sam Raimi thought Vanessa Hudgens would be a great choice for Liz Allan.

This was probably submitted by whoever posted that on the board. Hell, I'm pretty sure most of the stuff submitted right now somebody just made up.

Probably one of the most annoying & dumb sugestions ever made. Honestly.

Like you said, SM's universe is not a dark universe like Batman's and neither is the character. I have another:

- people wanting Michael Papajohn to return and become a villain (Chameleon, Electro I think I saw..). All I have to say is: :dry: ...

It’s funny ‘cause Spider-man has Batman beat when it comes to truly dark events. It's just that the book always handled the drama much more lighthearted than Batman books. And Dark Knight wasn’t that dark at all. It felt cheesy at some points.

It’s funny ‘cause Spider-man has Batman beat when it comes to truly dark events.

I don't mean dark events (whatever you mean by that), read my post again please.

It's just that the book always handled the drama much more lighthearted than Batman books.

Uhmm.. it's true, so? What does this have to do with my post? I wasn't talking about drama. I think you missunderstood my whole point.

And Dark Knight wasn’t that dark at all. It felt cheesy at some points.
The hell with TDK, stop bringing it in every discussion. I didn't even mentioned it. I just made a simple statement which you didn't understood.:p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"