Wreck-It Ralph 2

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by terry78, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Drizzle

Drizzle I got my cake.

If the Princesses part of this movie turns out to be the most popular aspect of it, I feel like a team-up movie would totally be within the realm of possibility for Disney. And it would make a bajillion dollars. :o

2. DarkKnight88

DarkKnight88 Well-Known Member

It's already better than the faux-princess team-up in Shrek the Third.

3. sueb1863

sueb1863 Well-Known Member

Has anybody deciphered what Merida's saying? I got that her first line is about feeding her mom a cake and then she turned into a bear...

4. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Faster Pussycat Kill Kill

"I gave my mom a cake, she turned into a bear, my old man tried to do her in, if that's not pure mess, I don't know what is.". I think that's it.

5. Lencho01

Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Looks like there's some controversy of the changes to some of the Disney princesses' looks, particularly with Tiana and how she's looked in the different trailers and pics. Also the other non-white princesses.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  6. Grootster

Grootster Dancing Tree

I agree that Incredibles 2 stank and does not deserve an Oscar (not that I really care about the Oscars), but I disagree that this looks better than the first Wreck it Ralph.

I liked how the first one created new characters and worlds, and didn't rely on popular stuff from other franchises (all of that was just short cameos). So far this looks exactly like what the first one avoided being. A bunch of references. Even worse, it's mostly just references to stuff Disney owns, which makes it feel kind of cheap to me. Plus a bunch of Emoji-movie internet jokes. Unless the next trailer wins me over, this one is looking kind of skippable for me.

7. DarkKnight88

DarkKnight88 Well-Known Member

People are more than likely seeing things that aren't there because "CONTROVERSY!"

8. sueb1863

Thanks! I got the first line and the last part but couldn't make out the middle part. Never heard the term 'pure mess' before, that might have been why!

9. Da-Scribe

Da-Scribe <-- Me

Nah Tiana does look like her hair and skin were lightened, at least from her original design.

10. jmc

jmc away for a while

You can't really compare the design of the 2D characters to the 3D ones. Of course they're not going to look alike. Moana looking thinning though is noticeable. All of that said, it's kind of sad the Princesses have essentially overshadow the rest of the movie.

11. Da-Scribe

Da-Scribe <-- Me

That's sort of a copout excuse for colorism.

12. jmc

jmc away for a while

It's a completely different rendering and lighting technique in place compared to traditional animation. Some of the characters facial features don't even look exactly like they did in 2D let alone being of the exact colouring, so to expect an exact 100% match between the two animation styles is being a bit ridiculous.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  13. Da-Scribe

Da-Scribe <-- Me

So dark skinned girls with dark hair are just impossible to render in anything other than 2D? Sorry, but that’s far more ridiculous.

14. jmc

jmc away for a while

Ah, no, there's things like 3D lighting which is fundamentally different to hand drawn lighting, not to mention the scene itself is warmly lit which is also going to affect how the light particles interact with the skin tones. There's also the design of the character itself, she isn't the only who who isn't a 100% match to her 2D counterpart. People are making a mountain over a molehill.

15. Lencho01

Sure, there'll be differences between a 2D and 3D version of a character, but if you look at the pics posted in various articles, it's not hard to see why people would side-eye the changes. Especially with the characters of color who didn't have Eurocentric features in their own films.

16. jmc

jmc away for a while

I really can't believe I have to point this out.

[​IMG]

Are we satisfied it's the lighting now?

17. Da-Scribe

Da-Scribe <-- Me

Breh, lighting does not make dark girls suddenly look biracial. You’re just making excuses for an offensive move on the part of the animators.

18. jmc

jmc away for a while

What the hell are you talking about? She's clearly got darker skin in the top image because the lighting is significantly darker in the scene.

19. pixen

pixen Well-Known Member

I get the controversy as she was a first for Disney and having the character true to where she started is super important. But 3D and 2D animation are two very different types of beasts when it comes to how you control colors. Color in 2D films is a click and fill sort of thing and then that’s it. 3D is a whole different ballgame and opens a character up to a lot of lighting options.

The two examples from the Wreck It Ralph 2 trailer are from the same scene. The first one she is leaning forward and not directly lit (look at the shadow on her shirt) where as the second has the light from the room hitting her face. Though one image isn’t high res so that could also cause an effect. If you look at the original film, lighting plays a huge part.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. LibidoLoca

LibidoLoca Sensually Delicious

This reminds me of the Cave of Wonders shot of Aladdin sparking controversy about that film.

21. Lencho01

The lighting ain’t the only thing people have taken issue with.

22. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Custom User Title

They've also made Moana significantly less... thicc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure what message they're trying to send here. What was wrong with her before?

23. sueb1863

What would have really been impressive is if they kept the 2D princesses 2D and just mixed them in with the 3D princesses.

24. lime

lime Movie critic

Seriously? The racism thing now gets the animated films because black characters are colored little less dark? This thing is getting out of control!

25. Zant

Zant Well-Known Member

Maybe they will say all that sailing is the cause of the weight loss..:o