Sequels X-Men Reboot

They don't seem being getting enough $$$ for these prequels and people are tuning out. And the original cast are not immortal for Fox to disregard them for another movie when we know the movies they appeared in were more successful.

They could easily tell these stories in the present just like Deadpool and the rest of the MCU. Prequels after prequels is overkill now.

I wouldn't exactly call these films "prequels". They would have to set up key points that leads directly to X1 to be considered a prequel and First Class is the only film to fit that description since it has the same opening scene as X1. Days of Future Past is more of an interquel with a reboot ending that erased the entire original trilogy so these new films aren't leading up to anything. Both Apocalypse and the next X-men trilogy would be considered anthology films like Rogue One is to the Star Wars series.

Pretty sure an anthology would be what we now call a "shared universe", so every movie within that is an anthology film.

I wouldn't exactly call these films "prequels". They would have to set up key points that leads directly to X1 to be considered a prequel and First Class is the only film to fit that description since it has the same opening scene as X1. Days of Future Past is more of an interquel with a reboot ending that erased the entire original trilogy so these new films aren't leading up to anything. Both Apocalypse and the next X-men trilogy would be considered anthology films like Rogue One is to the Star Wars series.

Apocalypse is pretty much a prequel to the new future that we saw in Dofp. Prequel or not, they are stuck in the past and I doubt the GA would want to see these X-Men to be stuck in the past for every new film.

Which would pretty much be an X-Verse with no legit X-Men team movies. Definitely sounds like the least viable option. It's either they stick with young cast or reboot completely and attach to Deadpool/X-Force/NM. Sprinkling cameos from the OT throughout wouldn't do any good.

And keeping the period cast which already underperformed twice at the box office is doing any good???. What makes you think that it would be different the third time around without using the cross-over card again.:hmr:

And Fox has been sprinkling cameos from the Of cast since 2009 because they bring familiarity to the audience, which is always a treat especially those cameos in Dofp.

Last edited:
Apocalypse is pretty much a prequel to the new future that we saw in Dofp. Prequel or not, they are stuck in the past and I doubt the GA would want to see these X-Men to be stuck in the past for every new film.

And the new future we saw in Dofp is now a prequel to the new further future we see in Logan.

Last edited:
And keeping the period cast which already underperformed twice at the box office is doing any good???. What makes you think that it would be different the third time around without using the cross-over card again.:hmr:.

Whether it does better or not is all going to come down to the next movie in general.

Its like with logan will it do better than The wolverine? it stands a good chance of doing better yes, not because of the reception of the wolverine but just because the way the film looks in general.

The thing is, with the current format, I kinda think that they boxed themselves in a little bit. Having the movies be prequels which sooner or later lead to what we've seen in Days of Future Past is a bit limiting.

And as much as a fresh start might be risky (aren't the best films risky to being with?), in the right hands it could really reinvigorate the franchise and jumpstart a new generation of X-Men movies for years to come.

I'm not really worried about the franchise. I loved Deadpool, thought Apocalypse was actually alright (and pretty interesting in parts) and am REALLY looking forward to Logan. So I'm good with these films.

But that's just my two cents, and how I would probably approach the franchise if I were at the helm.

The thing is, with the current format, I kinda think that they boxed themselves in a little bit. Having the movies be prequels which sooner or later lead to what we've seen in Days of Future Past is a bit limiting.

Why is it so limiting? What we saw in Days of Future Past as the future is basically the 'status quo' of the X-Men comic universe for years and years: The X-Men living at a school for young mutants. Although there are shifts and changes, this is basically the status quo most authors are coming back to after a few years.

When we use a timetravel logic from the comic books the future we saw in Days of Future Past is also actually a new parallel universe and not the 'real' future to the First Class past. Non of those timelines we saw are set in stone and Singer made sure in several interviews that there is not a causal, linear logic to his understanding of time/timetravel.

First class was definitely a prequel. They recreated the opening scene to X1. There's no point in doing that if it was establishing it's own continuity.

After DoFP there was an opportunity to take the series in a fresh direction and I would have agreed that the next films wouldn't be prequels. However, apocalypse was way too familiar to not call it a prequel.

Wolverine still gets his adamantium from Stryker. This scene plays out very much like origins in that cyclops and the xmen are at alkali lake as well and help each other escape. Quicksilver is even there too and it's been speculated that he was one of the captive mutants in origins.

The film also shows us that the nature of Storm's white hair and Xavier's baldness were not biological. So either the same events happened in original trilogy or something very very similar coincidentally happened to both of them.

The first class trilogy still maintains that Beast, Scott, Jean, and Storm are among the early X-men. It still appears that Logan will not join them until 10-15 years after the experiment.

Other than the fact that some characters show up earlier than you would expect, it does seem like we can end up at X1. Magneto could encounter more heartache and flip flop back to the dark side and Wolverine could show up at the mansion with a young Rogue.

And keeping the period cast which already underperformed twice at the box office is doing any good???

If this young cast continues to make X-Men team movies then the answer is yes. Key words there: X-Men team. That's what was set up in Apocalypse. And this franchise hasn't really had that since X2 really. And that was very Wolverine centric in its own right. They can finally focus on the team and that's definitely a good thing.

What makes you think that it would be different the third time around without using the cross-over card again.:hmr:

Again because, theoretically, they'd be focusing on the X-Men team instead of Wolverine/Magneto/Mystique. And I have faith that they're more than capable of making a good movie. And now that Singer is out, I'm confident a new director can bring a fresh take on things. The BO numbers can easily improve. And they don't even need to reach DOFP numbers to be a success.

And Fox has been sprinkling cameos from the Of cast since 2009 because they bring familiarity to the audience, which is always a treat especially those cameos in Dofp.

Jackman is gone. Cameos of the B-team don't add anything. The OT are not getting another movie. So there is no point in going back to them for anything.

And the new future we saw in Dofp is now a prequel to the new further future we see in Logan.

It'll be interesting to see if they name drop some of the X-men in Logan. It seems like the less they mention of the specifics of the outside world (who's where? etc.), the better for future films.

It's probably a good thing that it's Logan that says "The mutants, they're gone." in the trailer and not Xavier. Wolverine can be allowed to be wrong.

Last edited:
A year ago I hated the idea of a reboot, now I think it might be time. Preferably within the MCU, because you might as well at this point, and it would be the best footing for a successful restart. 'Days Of Future Past' was a brilliant film in my opinion, one of my favourite all-time comic book movies. I thought the series had a bright future. The projects that followed have made me reconsider.

Deadpool teased a different approach to the X-Men universe that left an impression on a lot of people. Apocalypse is too aware of the previous films, rehashing lines and beats, effectively squandering the opportunity for a fresh start while also alienating old fans. Logan follows, and while the film's quality cannot be determined, it's hard not to get swept up in the finality of its tone.

The franchise as it stands now is an utter mess of time periods, plot holes, duplicate characters etc. A huge chunk of the series no longer happened as we know them. There are 2 major casts, one too old to offer franchise longevity, the other stuck in the past and lacking an audience hook. Logan will sign-off Jackman and likely the rest of the OT cast with him. That film also hints at a dark future (again) for mutants that may well overshadow any stories set before it. Many people moaned that Apocalypse would have no stakes because DOFP showed the cast alive and well years later. I think it might be worse to think there are no stakes because you know everyone dies years later instead lol.

At this point, there's enough great opportunities in starting over for me to consider them doing it.

Fox's over the place plan is to blame here. Deadpool and X-Force are the only things that they can use for the next ten years and expect great revenue. Logan, no matter how good it is, will be Wolverine's swan song. The X-Men are stuck in the past when they could have easily returned to the present after Dofp. But no thanks, to the ill fated idea and here we are now. Gambit and New Mutants would be hard sell to the GA.

A year ago I hated the idea of a reboot, now I think it might be time. Preferably within the MCU, because you might as well at this point, and it would be the best footing for a successful restart. 'Days Of Future Past' was a brilliant film in my opinion, one of my favourite all-time comic book movies. I thought the series had a bright future. The projects that followed have made me reconsider.

Deadpool teased a different approach to the X-Men universe that left an impression on a lot of people. Apocalypse is too aware of the previous films, rehashing lines and beats, effectively squandering the opportunity for a fresh start while also alienating old fans. Logan follows, and while the film's quality cannot be determined, it's hard not to get swept up in the finality of its tone.

The franchise as it stands now is an utter mess of time periods, plot holes, duplicate characters etc. A huge chunk of the series no longer happened as we know them. There are 2 major casts, one too old to offer franchise longevity, the other stuck in the past and lacking an audience hook. Logan will sign-off Jackman and likely the rest of the OT cast with him. That film also hints at a dark future (again) for mutants that may well overshadow any stories set before it. Many people moaned that Apocalypse would have no stakes because DOFP showed the cast alive and well years later. I think it might be worse to think there are no stakes because you know everyone dies years later instead lol.

At this point, there's enough great opportunities in starting over for me to consider them doing it.

Awesome post. So rare to read a post that is on topic and well thought out. I couldn't agree more.
I can't see any way forward for the universe they created. Besides Deadpool, which is for all intents a comedy spoof of CBMs -- I have zero interest unless it's part of the MCU.

A reboot in which Psylocke and Angel are X-Men and Mystique isn't the focus would be great!

Awesome post. So rare to read a post that is on topic and well thought out. I couldn't agree more.
I can't see any way forward for the universe they created. Besides Deadpool, which is for all intents a comedy spoof of CBMs -- I have zero interest unless it's part of the MCU.

Thanks bud. As for the MCU, I don't think X-Men needs to be in the universe, but it would legitimise it in a way that would make restarting feel worthwhile. After 'Amazing Spider-Man' and 'Fan4stic', I'm weary of rebooting without Marvel collaboration.

MCU could easily create a separate universe for the mutants. They cannot really squeeze mutants in the current MCU timeline without using the alternate universe route. Mutants should've been introduced in phase 1. The alternate universe is an easy way to introduce them without screwing up the already established film verse. At the SamE time, the mutants can thrive in their own universe without the constant cameos from the Avengers family.

A reboot in which Psylocke and Angel are X-Men and Mystique isn't the focus would be great!

When has Mystique ever been the focus? In the last movie she had less screentime than in First Class and was useless in battle. Needing saving twice.

She was kind of a foot note in Apocalypse.

According to Singer and Kinberg she was one of the focus.

Whether she had zero action or not, she still got a decent amount of screentime especially they made her a leader at the end.

According to Singer and Kinberg she was one of the focus.

Whether she had zero action or not, she still got a decent amount of screentime especially they made her a leader at the end.

Xavier is the leader of th X-Men like he has always been. Mystique is at best co-leader.

I never see her as the leader in apocalypse, field trainer maybe but no students go to school to teach the educator how to do stuff.

Everyone got obsessed by the idea that mystique was leading them but she barely did any leading if it was even called that and the overall set up at the end still made it look like cyclops was still center of the group anyway, its not like she was standing centre whole they were standing next to her.

Last edited:
When we undoubtedly get a full team reboot, whether Fox, Marvel Studios, or otherwise, just to set it apart from the name X-Men or First Class since those have both been used, would anyone else want to see a reboot entitled 'The Uncanny X-Men'?

I've probably said this on here before, but I'll say it again. IF/WHEN they do opt for a reboot, I think the best course for sustained quality and expansion of a well built X-Men universe is for them to go to TV. I firmly believe they make the most sense being in that format. A cinematic/high quality show that allows for every character to breath and builds up story lines throughout. I'm talking GOT level production quality. Nothing cheap or half assed. I know a lot of legal/rights wheeling and dealing would have to go into that and that its a total long shot, but I think long run that's the way to go. There is just too many characters and too many stories that can't/won't get properly developed on film. 8-10 hours of a show every year can spread the wealth around. Plus you can set up companion series to go with it. Like an X-Force or New Mutants or X-Factor.

I've probably said this on here before, but I'll say it again. IF/WHEN they do opt for a reboot, I think the best course for sustained quality and expansion of a well built X-Men universe is for them to go to TV. I firmly believe they make the most sense being in that format. A cinematic/high quality show that allows for every character to breath and builds up story lines throughout. I'm talking GOT level production quality. Nothing cheap or half assed. I know a lot of legal/rights wheeling and dealing would have to go into that and that its a total long shot, but I think long run that's the way to go. There is just too many characters and too many stories that can't/won't get properly developed on film. 8-10 hours of a show every year can spread the wealth around. Plus you can set up companion series to go with it. Like an X-Force or New Mutants or X-Factor.

This sounds like a live action version of the 90s cartoon. With a larger budget. I wonder how much studio execs would jump on that idea at the risk of profits that would be lost from the series not being on film since, live-action wise, that's where it went first versus Game of Thrones starting on television.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"