Sequels X-Men Reboot

In a perfect world, all comic book characters would exist in a vast episodic television universe where budget was not an issue, and the "Annuals" were in the form of theatrical movies.

Last edited:
Anybody notice if your not on mobile mode you get pop-ups every other page on this site?

In a perfect world, all comic book characters would exist in a vast episodic television universe where budget was not an issue, and the "Annuals" were in the form of theatrical movies.
Whose fault is it for not taking more advantage of the medium of animation?

Anybody notice if your not on mobile mode you get pop-ups every other page on this site?
[BLACKOUT]Adblock[/BLACKOUT]

Whose fault is it for not taking more advantage of the medium of animation?

I was really talking about live action.

But we should have more quality animated TV shows.

If Fox were smart (and sometimes that's a big "if") they would put X-men on hold for a while and focus on other characters to develop in order to keep the rights. Continue with Deadpool, X-force, Gambit, etc. I'd love for them to try and replicate Deadpool's success. Find an obscure character, find a creative team that's passionate about it, make it for a low budget and see if it succeeds. Then after several years, ideally more than a decade, bring back the X-men with a vengeance.

In a perfect world the rights would revert to Marvel and X-men would appear at the end of Phase 4, but I doubt that'll happen. Fox is in way too good of shape with the X-men to give it up. I highly doubt a sony type deal could happen, I just can't picture Fox Studios ever giving up creative control. I would love a deal to be made where Fox funds the movie and Marvel makes it.

In either case the most important thing they need to do with a reboot is set up the world of X-men for success. Like Star Wars: The Force Awakens, You need to effectively setup the world, the characters, and be done well as a film. So that all audiences can't wait for the next one. They gotta do it right.

I've probably said this on here before, but I'll say it again. IF/WHEN they do opt for a reboot, I think the best course for sustained quality and expansion of a well built X-Men universe is for them to go to TV. I firmly believe they make the most sense being in that format. A cinematic/high quality show that allows for every character to breath and builds up story lines throughout. I'm talking GOT level production quality. Nothing cheap or half assed. I know a lot of legal/rights wheeling and dealing would have to go into that and that its a total long shot, but I think long run that's the way to go. There is just too many characters and too many stories that can't/won't get properly developed on film. 8-10 hours of a show every year can spread the wealth around. Plus you can set up companion series to go with it. Like an X-Force or New Mutants or X-Factor.

I wouldn't get my hopes up, I doubt Marvel would allow that, I have a feeling the current tv deal excludes prime members and teams. More importantly there's no way Fox would do a series that doesn't premiere on one of their channels (Fox, FX, FXX) which are not known for high budgets or evening having faith in series often canceling them before their time. And if you'd expect GOT level budget from network tv you're dreaming. HBO is lucky because they're a subscription based channel and can risk much higher profits and far more freedom. In fact GOT's budget has got to be record breaking, if it wasn't so successful out of the gate it would have been quickly canceled. Plenty of other high budget series that were critically acclaimed were canceled way too soon. I remember Rome was planned for five seasons but only got two because the show was just too expensive to make. Not way Fox would ever have that kind of production level, you'd only get AoS/Flash level of production.

Still it is a cool thought. I always felt Watchmen would have been fantastic as a 12 episode series on HBO. Maybe after GOT ends they'll look into a superhero property.

In a perfect world people would stop complaining that the X-Men rights should go back to Marvel. :whatever:

Without Marvel selling their X-Men rights to FOX and the huge success that was Singer's X-Men 1 in 2000 (and Spider-Man in 2002) we would have never get the current comic book movie boom. Maybe fans should start to be a little bit more grateful that FOX and Singer saved the comicbook movie genre and celebrate their historical achievements.

I am also wondering how rights 'can go back' to someone who has been entirely sold to Disney meanwhile?!

In a perfect world people would stop complaining that the X-Men rights should go back to Marvel. :whatever:

Without Marvel selling their X-Men rights to FOX and the huge success that was Singer's X-Men 1 in 2000 (and Spider-Man in 2002) we would have never get the current comic book movie boom. Maybe fans should start to be a little bit more grateful that FOX and Singer saved the comicbook movie genre and celebrate their historical achievements.

I am also wondering how rights 'can go back' to someone who has been entirely sold to Disney meanwhile?!

But that doesn't matter now because Marvel Studios is the greatest since The Revenant invented sliced bread and so on and so forth...joking aside, I can see how the hardcore fans want nothing more than for Fox to give the X-Men film rights to Marvel Studios, but for me personally, there's no need right now.

Mixed as Apocalypse was received, I still liked it and aside from X-Men Origins and The Last Stand, I've generally liked what Fox has done with the series and hope they take advantage of the vast characters at their resources. Would it be a change of pace to see what Marvel could do with the property? Sure, but the MCU has done just fine without the mutants as of now, and as you said, were it not for the likes of X-Men, Spider-Man, and maybe even Batman Begins later, we might not have had this boom.

Come on, dude. This topic has been beat to dead. It's always laughable when literally somebody says "we have to thank to X1 and Singer for the comic-book movie boom" ...
Like yeah, we have to thank the guy who bans comicbooks on his movie sets, also responsible for the Superman Returns movie.
And no, I'm not that guy that's going to say: "You forgot about Blade in 1998." I'm that guy that is going to say: "Batman in 1989 made two times much at the boxoffice than X-Men did in 2000.".
Not to forgot about the Superman movies, and all the animated comic-books series that were going on in the 90s. There was the real boom. And that was the reason why studios like FOX, Sony, etc all jumped on the wagon and bought those so many rights as possible. Even the rights to Black Widow were at some different studio at the time.
So, why do we exactly have to thank to Singer? Wouldn't it be obvious to thank to the whole comic-book movies that came in this period, also with the animated series that came in the 90s? Considering that there were more succesfull movies than X1 in the day?

To be fair about Blade, I'd argue that what Blade has more of an impact now versus its initial release in 1998, just one year after Batman and Robin. Sure, Blade was successful, but from a commercial perspective, I'd argue that the likes of X-Men and Spider-Man were more popular since, just going off their animated series, they were more recognizable than Blade, who underwent a reinvention in that very film.

Superman kicked off the trend to begin with, yes, and no one is denying that. And Batman showed how to take that property seriously. But you're talking 1978 and 1989 versus 2000, and comic book films weren't exactly coming out at a frequent pace in '78 and '89 versus 2000 and onward. I'd argue that the success of Spider-Man and X-Men, more so in light of failures like Batman and Robin, helped contribute to the live action boom.

Plus, hey, if we're gonna throw animated series and talk about the boom, if we're gonna go back, you could easily make the argument that the likes of Superfriends began that boom.

Plus, hey, if we're gonna throw animated series and talk about the boom, if we're gonna go back, you could easily make the argument that the likes of Superfriends began that boom.

Yeah, even that. There are a lot of things comic-book-related pre-2000 that helped the boom.

Come on, dude. This topic has been beat to dead. It's always laughable when literally somebody says "we have to thank to X1 and Singer for the comic-book movie boom" ...
Like yeah, we have to thank the guy who bans comicbooks on his movie sets, also responsible for the Superman Returns movie.
And no, I'm not that guy that's going to say: "You forgot about Blade in 1998." I'm that guy that is going to say: "Batman in 1989 made two times much at the boxoffice than X-Men did in 2000.".
Not to forgot about the Superman movies, and all the animated comic-books series that were going on in the 90s. There was the real boom. And that was the reason why studios like FOX, Sony, etc all jumped on the wagon and bought those so many rights as possible. Even the rights to Black Widow were at some different studio at the time.
So, why do we exactly have to thank to Singer? Wouldn't it be obvious to thank to the whole comic-book movies that came in this period, also with the animated series that came in the 90s? Considering that there were more succesfull movies than X1 in the day?

It is a lot more than boxoffice success that Singer introduced for comicbook movies in 2000. He grounded comicbook movies in reality and clearly inspired Nolan to do the same with Batman. He took the source material extremely serious, instantly understood what made Claremont's X-Men so special and produced some of the best sci fi movies in the last 16 years. X-Men Days of Future Past and X2 even elevates the source material. I barely have read X-Men comicbook which are as good as Singer's movies. At least not since Grant Morrison's run.

Marvel is good producing mediocre, entertaining mainstream movies to promote their theme parks for heteronormative audiences. But I want a smart political director with a minority background like Ava Duvernay to helm the X-Men movies. Unfortunately, Hollywood barely supports these directors.

I think people here should be grateful for Singer's work because I doubt that most white straight male directors in the future of this franchise (working for FOX or MARVEL) will understand the X-Men as good as Singer did.

Well to be fair i think the idea is that X-Men in 2000 started things because there was a reluctance to make comic book movies pre-2000 and after we got X-MEN it opened the door for sony to show some faith in making a spider-man movie and other comic book movies followed because of those successes.

With Blade i don't think it created a comic book movie boom because it was basically disguised as a vampire slayer movie.

I remember when i first watched blade i instantly thought of buffy and comic books or superheroes.

Last edited:
Im fed-up with movies setting in the past and useless movies
If Fox doesnt want to make x-men movies in present day with original cast in new timeline, so lets reboot it!

I'd like to have modern adaptations of Operation Tolerance Zero, Apocalypse, great arc like House of M, Messiah Complex, Schism.. with adult x-men, instead of continuing with teens x-men in this retconned timeline.

But I dont think they will reboot. Deadpool movies would be transfered in this rebooted universe ?

But I dont think they will reboot. Deadpool movies would be transfered in this rebooted universe ?

No. Recently an interview with Ryan and one of the screenwriters, pretty much said it that it's their own thing, and don't want to merge that much with the world of X-Men.

No. Recently an interview with Ryan and one of the screenwriters, pretty much said it that it's their own thing, and don't want to merge that much with the world of X-Men.

It depends what they meant by that tbh, i don't think they were trying to say there would be no universe connections but just that they want to keep deadpool separate from the X-Men.

which is quite funny seeing how everyone talks about deadpool mixing with the X-Men all the time.

My personal belief is that for the Deadpool sequel fox and the producers will persuade ryan and the screenwriters to add a few closer connections to the current universe, like that stuff that happened to deadpool to give him his healing power will somehow be abit connected to weapon X even if its just a mention in name drop in the sequel with it leading to whats going on in logan with X23.

Last edited:
Marvel is good producing mediocre, entertaining mainstream movies to promote their theme parks for heteronormative audiences.

What Marvel attractions in Disney theme parks are being promoted to these pesky heteronormatives?

More like, in a perfect world, FOX wouldn't alienate (almost) half the X-Men fanbase by changing stuff that they don't want to see changed.

It's not Marvel's fault that their fans have felt satisfied with their product. If Marvel can do it, why can't FOX? That's the real question.

Not every studio has a Kevin Feige or visionary who gets the properties, not to mention that let's not pretend that everything Fox has done was a misstep. I'm not going to pretend that Days of Future Past is mediocre and unwatchable compared to Guardians of the Galaxy or Winter Soldier even though all three came out in the same year.

Not every studio has a Kevin Feige or visionary who gets the properties, not to mention that let's not pretend that everything Fox has done was a misstep. I'm not going to pretend that Days of Future Past is mediocre and unwatchable compared to Guardians of the Galaxy or Winter Soldier even though all three came out in the same year.
You've got the wrong idea, I never even diss X1, X2, XM:FC, or DOFP, I may criticize certain stuff but I love those movies, DOFP a bit less admittedly.

My point is after Apocalypse I understand more why some people did not feel the same way I did about those movies, even if I continue to disagree with their feelings on them. So I think DavidHaller's dismissal of their cries to return the IP to Marvel is misjudged. They can get very annoying, sure, especially in sites like CBMdotcom, but they don't like what they're getting and have to make their voices heard.

Besides, I have to say at this point the debate of whether it would be good or bad for X-Men to revert surprises me, those against always bring up their inclusion to the Universe being "difficult" and a "light" tone as negatives, which really seem like such small price to pay in favor of a more comic-accurate product that doesn't divide the fanbase which in turn will have more mass-appeal, a fresh continuity (no more retcons), better action, better costumes, careful buildup (no more "one movie at a time" mentality that also leads to retcons), better characterization of neglected characters, etc.

Last edited:
Besides, I have to say at this point the debate of whether it would be good or bad for X-Men to revert surprises me, those against always bring up their inclusion to the Universe being "difficult" and a "light" tone as negatives, which really seem like such small price to pay in favor of a more comic-accurate product that doesn't divide the fanbase which in turn will have more mass-appeal, a fresh continuity (no more retcons), better action, better costumes, careful buildup (no more "one movie at a time" mentality that also leads to retcons), better characterization of neglected characters, etc.

I am sorry but I find all your claims unjustified and superficial.

Marvel is NOT more comic-accurate than FOX. That is ridiculous and a very superficial claim. No Marvel movie isbased on a comicbook storso accurately like X2, Days of Future Past and X-Men Apocalypse.
I am also so tired of this 'colorful costume' argument. Most of the "colorful costumes" in Marvel movies are entirely different from their comicbook versions. What happened is that in the comicbooks have adjusted their comic book characters so they would fit the movie aesthetic or they aethetically prepared character' costumes so they can more easily get adapted on screen: for example, Captain Marvel's new costume or Captain America's look.

Magneto alone is the best characterized villain of any comicbook adaptation. Every character Singer felt the need to concentrate on is beautifully characterized and is so much more complex and round than any Marvel counterpart.

There are so many fantastic action scenes in the X-Men movies, why should Marvel be any better than Nightcrawler at the White House? Quicksilver's Kitchen scene`? or Magneto's prison break? this are action scenes as good as it gets.

And since when is 'mass-appeal' something positive? Well, I guess in Trump's America it definitely is...:whatever:...Let's make the X-Men great again, shall we?

Last edited:
More like, in a perfect world, FOX wouldn't alienate (almost) half the X-Men fanbase by changing stuff that they don't want to see changed.
Thats pretty much WB,Marvel and sony also then.

Fans don't wanna see anything changed, I been on here long enough to see how dramatic some people can be over any change what so ever.

Last edited:
Days of Future Past actually was careful build-up to Apocalypse. A lot of things were set-up in the former and paid-off in the latter.

Fans don't wanna see anything changed, I been on here long enough to see how dramatic some people can be over any change what so ever.
Organic web shooters :D

Oh c'mon GuestStar, don't go with the false equivalencies. FOX has changed much more than Marvel -- you know that.

And DavidHaller, it's clear you are deadset in your opinion, so this discussion won't go anywhere. I disagree with pretty much all of your post, as for your argument of mass popularity not being a good thing like Trump, that's kind of ridiculous when X-Men as an IP is being adapted precisely because it has the potential to be massively popular, not to cater to a niche audience nor to receive diminishing returns like Apocalypse.

Last edited:
Days of Future Past actually was careful build-up to Apocalypse. A lot of things were set-up in the former and paid-off in the latter.

In the post-credits perhaps, but much of it simply felt like taking from threads set in First Class. Apocalypse even had to retcon that scene where Mystique finds Logan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"