X1/X3: Which one deserves a recut?

x3 should have the phoenix concept art with the golden gate bridge...
its looks a lot better than the crappy magneto moving the golden gate bridge scene

ThePhoenixRises said:
x3 should have the phoenix concept art with the golden gate bridge...
its looks a lot better than the crappy magneto moving the golden gate bridge scene

lol suit yourself.. i thought that scene was Magnetos "red sea" moment. Best way to get his army to the island imo.

Retroman said:
extended fight at Jean's house (without Juggernaut's reaction), Pyro/Magneto cure scene, alternate Jean power display at camp, extended Storm/Callisto fight, Iceman/Kitty kiss

All scenes I hope never get cut back into the film...

:csad:

XCharlieX said:
If x3 was longer I seriously would have a difficult time pointing out the details that give away that this wasnt directed by Singer. Ratner pulled a mystique for x3 and it was smart, but he gave himself away by this.

I dont mean to condescend but I'm a film student and if you look hard enough its very easy to tell that X3 was not directed by Singer.

x3 definitely needs the recut more.

if i were in charge, i'd make a few major changes:

(1) i would separate the young warren scene from the young jean scene (ie. take it out of the prologue), and play it as a flashback in either warren's or his father's head while contemplating the cure. it could be seamlessly intercut into the scene where warren is about the get the cure.

(2) insert JUST ONE PIECE OF DIALOGUE that explains the why the x-men were doing what they were doing at alcatraz. they need to explain that the x-men's belief is to protect all people and all forms of freedom. otherwise, it does look like magneto is right when he calls them "traitors to their own cause."

(3) re-insert the the jean destruction, add a little fire behind her (just a little burst as an homage to the phoenix display), and put back in bobby's and storm's stuff.

(4) use the alternate beast ending.

then i'd be pretty happy.

X1 is a fine movie on its own and has stronger legs. X3, however, desperately needs a recut. Reinserting the necessary deleted AND extended scenes would be a good start.

X1 and X3 both need it. X3 needs it a lot more.

X1 should've had those Storm and Cyclops scenes. Magneto and Rogue weren't enough.

Logan, Jean and Scott's conversation in Logan's room was better when it was longer. Logan had that great line about whether or not Scott knew about war. :word:

Storm talking to Rogue would have to be redone (looped) without Halle Berry's just horrid attempt at an accent. Truly, it was just dreadful.

As for X3, well, that was cut so poorly, I'd need pages to get through it and get that explanation down.:whatever:

But believe it or not, X2 could use a few additions. Jubilee's scene at the museum, the full fight between Deathstrike and Wolverine, and that little snippet where Mystique sees Nightcrawler's file on Stryker's computer.

When I first saw the film, I wondered how Magneto knew that Nightcrawler was working for Stryker. The deleted scene explains it and it only adds a few seconds to the film's length. Did it really need to be cut that badly, Bryan? :huh:

x1 definitely needs all the scenes of cyke and storm that were cut out. i understand why the jean and prof scene in cerebro was cut since it was dependent on the senate hearing scene being different (ie. jean losing control).

the more i think about it (and as much as i love all the movies) i'm really upset that singer's vision made this a wolverine trilogy. he could have done a much better ensemble movie if he wanted to. AND even though X2 was a very well made movie, i'll never understand why they went with that story. it really was not that strong in my opinion. i mean there are so many great stories in the comics and what they came up with was pretty inconsequential. the two major developments were that logan joined the team and jean "died". many other better stories could have brought them to the same place, but that was what they went with. for a longtime comic book reader, that was a disappointment.

LostSon88 said:
X3 was butchered by the studio.
X1 was ALSO butchered by the studio.

Both had some pretty cool scenes removed from the film. Knowing what we know of the missing scenes, which one do you think deserves a recut moreso than the other?

One of my fav scenes from X1 is this lil' scene between Cyclops & the Professor. Yeah, its short and prolly unnecessary, but I really like it for some reason. Its in the X1.5 DVD:

Paraphrasing (been a while since i've seen it)

Cyclops and Xavier discussing Logan in the lower levels...

Cyclops: "I don't like him."
Xavier: "He'd be a good member to the team."
Cyclops: "Fine...but if you put that man in a combat situation he wont be able to follow orders."
Xavier: "Give him an order worth following and he'll follow it."

This screamed classic Cyclops to me.

Well?

That scene actually makes Cyke look inept as a leader.

Both movies have huge flaws, but X3 is complete crap. The whole movie should be thrown out.

I don't see how it makes him look 'inept' as a leader. If anything it exemplifies his concerns about adding someone to the team who is clearly not a team player. Something ANY responsible team captain would be iffy about...the idea of adding a loose cannon to an already well functioning unit.

So i'm watching the 10 deleted scenes of X1 on my VHS and there really are some great scenes that help tie into X3...

X1:Jean/Xavier in Cerebro...Jean discussing her expanding powers.
X3: Phoenix, etc.

X1:Rogue actually asking Storm if the professor can CURE HER!
X3:Rogue taking the cure

X1:Logan suggesting that Xavier is holding Jean back.
X3::cough: psychic blocks :cough:

X1:Cyclops lecturing Logan about 'fighting for something'
X3:Logan--"If we don't fight now everything that they stood for will die with them."

tonytr1687 said:
I dont mean to condescend but I'm a film student and if you look hard enough its very easy to tell that X3 was not directed by Singer.

Well ive watched singers films endlessly before x3. In fact I watched x2 before x3 and it had a very smooth continuity and cinematography that was very similar. In Interviews Ratner has stated that was his intention to just replicate singers style and for the most part i felt it paid off.

What he says is his own touch? The break pace for action... in the theater that really was the major thing that hinted at this being a brand new guy as far as im concerned. The acting was pretty much same grade, the cinematography was very similar, the tone of the films, everything. I can understand some complaints of folks who didnt like x3, but i do feel they have gotten a bit overzealous, which is why I disagree on how faulty x3 was in EVERY category. Honestly i can only point out 1 category.

Things i acknowledge:

pacing and lack of careful storytime

Things I deem unfounded or a left field complaint:

poor cinematography
Bad acting
poor action. In fact id say they werent watching the same x3
too many folks dying
mismatched powers
wasnt like comics

Thats really where i stand.

Whats interesting about directing styles is that I can notice the similarities with Lucas' new star wars with his old, having watched the old and new ones many times around 02 or so when episode 2 came out. Its the same old hoaky stuff essentially but people say theyre completely different. So it varies a bit how some perceive directing styles.

LostSon88 said:
So i'm watching the 10 deleted scenes of X1 on my VHS and there really are some great scenes that help tie into X3.

There are ten deleted scenes on the X1 VHS but only 6 on the X1 DVD? :wow:

That's so ridiculous! Even the X1.5 DVD only has six deleted scenes...and they're the same ones as the first DVD! :whatever:

Oh wait, my apoligies...they are 6 deleted scenes. Sorry...seems I was a lil' overzealous with my previous post.

6 scenes, the Logan vs. Sabertooth Animated seq. and a Bryan Singer Interview.

Again, apoligies. :O

but really the actors chosen for xmen trilogy was actually really good choices by FOX.. yea the only thing positive about them

Honestly, I'd change the whole execution of the plot in X1. I don't hate it, but sometimes it just bothers me soo much.

X3 could use some of the deleted scenes. And better dialogue. X3 is probably the most beautiful looking of all the films, which is good, but it needs to... sound good too. No: "Way to go furball" or anything like that. *Cringe*

LostSon88 said:
So i'm watching the 10 deleted scenes of X1 on my VHS and there really are some great scenes that help tie into X3...

X3:Logan--"If we don't fight now everything that they stood for will die with them."

I shall watch those scenes right now.....

Well done on spotting those clues, and what a shame they weren't in the movie!

LostSon88 said:
X3 was butchered by the studio.
X1 was ALSO butchered by the studio.

Both had some pretty cool scenes removed from the film. Knowing what we know of the missing scenes, which one do you think deserves a recut moreso than the other?

One of my fav scenes from X1 is this lil' scene between Cyclops & the Professor. Yeah, its short and prolly unnecessary, but I really like it for some reason. Its in the X1.5 DVD:

Paraphrasing (been a while since i've seen it)

Cyclops and Xavier discussing Logan in the lower levels...

Cyclops: "I don't like him."
Xavier: "He'd be a good member to the team."
Cyclops: "Fine...but if you put that man in a combat situation he wont be able to follow orders."
Xavier: "Give him an order worth following and he'll follow it."

This screamed classic Cyclops to me.

Well?

LOL, X1 was not butchered at all. Bryan singer hardly had the money to shoot any thing else anyway.

But it was butchered to a degree as Singer filmed a lot more than what was shown in the completed movie. FOX, for whatever reason was insistient that X1 be short. :huh:

LostSon88 said:

That suggestion about Xavier holding Jean back is a nice touch- Logan says that Cyke is holding her back too.

Also like how the extended school scene shows Rogue asking about a cure, like you said, but more of Bobby and her. There's a deleted scene that shows them going on dates and stuff too... nice little touch that leads nicely into their X2 relationship.

yeah i saw that scene..the deleted scenes for X1 were pretty good.

I think that's why I would prefer that X1 be recut moreso as opposed to X3. By re-inserting these deleted scenes from X1, you get a better feel that these are indeed a "trilogy" of movies that reference one another much moreso than it does already (despite the fact that contrary to popular belief, these movies wearn't necessarily designed as a "trilogy")

I don't know if Ratner watched these deleted scenes or not but, these scenes as mentioned before really complement the events in X3.

Hell...I'm sure they could even get Halle Berry to ADR her American accent over that atrocious African one in X1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"