You Have My Permission To Lounge - Part 10

Is commissioner Gordon still the focus character, or did they shift focus mainly to young Bruce?

It's shifted more to Bruce, but Gordon still plays a more than vital role.

Well I love it and I'm glad it got one final year. It's a wonderful blend of Burton, Schumacher and Nolan, with bonkers storytelling and a true sense of fun.

I've always viewed it as an 'elseworlds' take on the mythos, anyway.

I've never had a problem with the conceit of the show, per se. It always came down to the quality of the writing, which for the most part just wasn't there.

I haven't seen it since like episode 4 or something, from season 1. Yesterday I heard they have one final season, and a YouTube vid popped up, for the trailer to season 4. I'm not joking, it was one of the worst things I've sat through. Just laughable acting, bad visuals and dialogue. I doubt it was just a bad trailer. Oy vey! Some people say it got better but it looked even worse!

Last edited:
Well I love it and I'm glad it got one final year. It's a wonderful blend of Burton, Schumacher and Nolan, with bonkers storytelling and a true sense of fun.

I've always viewed it as an 'elseworlds' take on the mythos, anyway.

Same. :up:

I can't wait to see what they'll do in the final season.

When it was first announced, I thought they might follow in the footsteps of Gotham Central by Brubaker and I thought that would make for some really interesting tv. When they decided to throw in the whole young wayne coming of age story plus villains that were all older than him I lost interest. I still think the Gotham Central idea would have been interesting.

I love the Gotham Central comic. So I'd have been all for it.

When it was first announced, I thought they might follow in the footsteps of Gotham Central by Brubaker and I thought that would make for some really interesting tv. When they decided to throw in the whole young wayne coming of age story plus villains that were all older than him I lost interest. I still think the Gotham Central idea would have been interesting.

Yeah, agreed.

A Gotham Central show could have been fantastic-- And I suppose still could, in the future.

It's always a possibility... which is why I always find it funny people thinking it wont ever happen because of Gotham.

There's not much need for it because of Gotham.

I really enjoy Gotham. If someone wants to call it badly written that wouldn't really be something I'd dispute but the show has its own charm and I often find it hilarious (in a good way). I love seeing so many Bat-villains all hanging around and interacting. I could never have imagined they'd give Penguin so much focus and do him so well. Joker, Riddler, Falcone and Mad Hatter were also all very good.

A Gotham Central show could have been fantastic-- And I suppose still could, in the future.

I hope it does happen eventually. The Wire but set in Gotham city is just about perfection. I had hoped Gotham would be that (as much as network TV will allow) layered with Bruce's story as a child, a period in his life that's barely ever been touched upon before. But that's not what that show ended up being.

I hope it does happen eventually. The Wire but set in Gotham city is just about perfection. I had hoped Gotham would be that (as much as network TV will allow) layered with Bruce's story as a child, a period in his life that's barely ever been touched upon before. But that's not what that show ended up being.

Haven't yet seen The Wire, but I'm guessing it's this show about these multiple factions vying for dominance with an ever-growing cast of characters who grow throughout this never-ending story & an ever changing roster of unique extras.

There's not much need for it because of Gotham.

I think people want a legit, respected show. Gotham feels like a Tumblr version of what we should actually get.

I think people want a legit, respected show. Gotham feels like a Tumblr version of what we should actually get.

wouldn't be very comic-booky
city full of freaks and weirdos that noir cop/mobster cliches have to traverse

Yes definitely

Last edited:
I always said Gotham was the show that should have come out along with Smallville back in the 2000s. Plus it could have been a complementary piece to the Nolan films even if not set in the same universe.

I stopped watching it after Season 1, but one thing I really liked about that show was their take on Bruce Wayne. I love how they made Bruce's turn into Batman more about curiosity than vengeance. That's my favorite take on Bruce's origin: a rich kid who experienced something only lower-class kids usually experience, started asking himself "why did he do it?", and gradually came to see the systemic problems in Gotham. I also love how much emphasis there was on corruption, which I feel many comic book writers forget about.

Again, I only saw the first season so maybe all of that gets undone later on. I stopped watching because, as I said earlier, too little too late. As much as I liked those parts of the show, they also felt redundant.

Made me chuckle on FB just now:

O9NB9mz.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"