The Force Awakens Young Female Lead?

That's because Clone Wars was made when EU was canon.

3 months is hardly "just released".

It wouldn't be for the paying adult fans.

The Best Seller list proved it. Your just mad it worked against you this time. No different to the rabid Batman fans that were still in denial that Avengers topped TDKR.

The Legends banner clears that up no?

Wow. That's about all I can say after reading this. Even still you are not showing me these past 3 months sales you've talked about. Last time I think you had one weeks ranking but not even units sold. I still want to see these units sold compared to these EU.

And wow....lol the only reason TCW did well is because the EU was canon? Wow.

You probably really believe that The Force Awakens will be some box office bomb because the EU is no longer canon don't you?

It has declining viewers and Fighter Flight is the worst bit of Star Wars I've seen since the Prequels and A New Dawn is the worst selling Star Wars novel. It also doesn't mean that it still can't be continued as a parallel universe under the Legends banner unless you have a personal problem with that?

Star Wars: Rebels airs on the Disney Channel. It is a show for children, that airs on a children's network. They're not going to cancel the show because it's losing it's initial adult and teenage viewers that don't already typically watch the Disney Channel. Also, who cares? It's relatively new and it's not all that interesting of a premise from what I've heard. Plus the Thrawn Trilogy came out at a time when no new films were on the near horizon, Shadows of the Empire had a large marketing campaign, and Labyrinth of Evil was our only look into the events immediately leading to the final Star Wars film ever (as we were told). We have a new Star Wars movie coming out in 12 months and it takes place almost 50 years after this book and the Rebels TV series. People just don't care that much.

Unless they keep making them for children.

Name one time you saw Kim Possible or Finius and Ferb have some adult content? Rebels is a Disney show on a channel directed at kids. Lucasfilm is an independent production company under the Disney umbrella, no different than Mirrormax and Touchstone Pictures are, that makes the creative decisions for the project and sets the tone.

Wow. That's about all I can say after reading this. Even still you are not showing me these past 3 months sales you've talked about. Last time I think you had one weeks ranking but not even units sold. I still want to see these units sold compared to these EU.

These guys compared A New Dawn with the rest of the EU over time. It dropped off abnormally fast.
[YT]PJdvJm3kDlM[/YT]
But then again you probably won't listen to it and cite that "OMG Thiz Movie is gonna be the phattest bomb eva and deliver the all the goldz anywayz bro!":o:whatever:

These guys compared A New Dawn with the rest of the EU over time. It dropped off abnormally fast.
[YT]PJdvJm3kDlM[/YT]
But then again you probably won't listen to it and cite that "OMG Thiz Movie is gonna be the phattest bomb eva and deliver the all the goldz anywayz bro!":o:whatever:

....give me the part where they give the source, and these numbers. So again it's funny that 95% of my post you ignore the questions because you know you cannot answer them. This is not any official source just some dudes saying stuff.

Okay talk to us next December. You clearly won't listen to anything because you are sore that they stopped the EU. Do you really think TFA is going to bomb because of this?

Oh after looking at those comments the whole 57 views of that video it's a group of EU fans that are upset. Again I love the EU, but it's gone, now we get new adventures. Don't source to the little group of "EU Defenders" as one of the guys in the comments identified themselves as. Your getting skewed info.

Last edited:
Okay talk to us next December. You clearly won't listen to anything because you are sore that they stopped the EU. Do you really think TFA is going to bomb because of this?

Fact is the majority of the general audience does not follow Star Wars that closely. There's a lot of viewers who confuse Star Wars with Star Trek, and another large number of people who didn't even know about TFA until the teaser dropped. These viewer's ticket purchases will not be affected by the EU whatsoever. As for the avid Star Wars fans, if the prequels proved anything, it's that just like Michael B. Jordan said "They'll see it anyway," whether they like it or not!

As for the sales of A New Dawn dipping? As I said before the majority of the viewing public don't follow the EU, and even in the Star Wars fan community they are a small fraction. Of this small fraction at least half are upset about losing their continuity's cannon status. Obviously there is going to be an initial drop, anyone who takes this drop as a sign of brand failure doesn't know much about business.

Finally the on the subject of the TV series, most seasons ratings have a bell curve pattern. You get massive numbers for premiers and finales, and declining numbers throughout. Unless the episode has buzz enough to become an event of sorts (ie. premiere/finale, controversy, or hype) a lot of people don't feel the need to make the time to tune in.

The Force Awakens will be a hit like it or not, the only real question is whether or not it will be well received.

Fact is the majority of the general audience does not follow Star Wars that closely. There's a lot of viewers who confuse Star Wars with Star Trek, and another large number of people who didn't even know about TFA until the teaser dropped. These viewer's ticket purchases will not be affected by the EU whatsoever. As for the avid Star Wars fans, if the prequels proved anything, it's that just like Michael B. Jordan said "They'll see it anyway," whether they like it or not!

As for the sales of A New Dawn dipping? As I said before the majority of the viewing public don't follow the EU, and even in the Star Wars fan community they are a small fraction. Of this small fraction at least half are upset about losing their continuity's cannon status. Obviously there is going to be an initial drop, anyone who takes this drop as a sign of brand failure doesn't know much about business.

Finally the on the subject of the TV series, most seasons ratings have a bell curve pattern. You get massive numbers for premiers and finales, and declining numbers throughout. Unless the episode has buzz enough to become an event of sorts (ie. premiere/finale, controversy, or hype) a lot of people don't feel the need to make the time to tune in.

The Force Awakens will be a hit like it or not, the only real question is whether or not it will be well received.

I doubt it is even half of that small fraction. Most people knew this was coming since the announcement in 2012. Some were in denial until it actually happened. Many of us on here, even at TFN just new that since VII-IX was coming out they would be ejecting the EU, it was common sense. Most came to terms with that long ago. But there are those that did not want to believe it until it was announced. Those are the ones that I think are still clinging on. TFA I'm pretty sure will be well received. It's a good feeling, with such a good team, bringing SW back to the masses after a long lapse with the Superhero genre flooding the market. A change of pace and a different "universe" I think will really strike a cord. Some people have still been in waiting for a sequel for quite some time. Disney knows they have so much riding on this. Most of the EU did the best and went off the shelves during the frenzy of the films. A few were outliers of course.

But the thing is the sales have not really "dipped". All I've seen is one week of sales where it was not in the top 10 of some list that was not even The New York Times list. Tarkin seems to be doing fine as well. I just don't recall many EU books after the PT really doing well. Darth Plagieus and a few others come to mind again some of the outliers of really good stories. I remember a lot of the big selling EU books were in the 90's when the SW hype mania was taking off. People wanted their fix.

The Superhero Genre has such a grip on the masses now I think that's where TFA will come in and shake things up a bit. I think people are looking for something different and I really do think TFA is going to be the spark to ignite the masses love for SW once again. Also we will have a whole new generation of fans that will start getting into the new books now as well.

You clearly won't listen to anything because you are sore that they stopped the EU.
Or maybe I'm just tired of condescending people telling me to move on and treat the Star Wars I grew up with as a lie.

Most of the EU did the best and went off the shelves during the frenzy of the films.
That's because most people were searching for a good Star Wars story in the period of 1999-2005.

Or maybe I'm just tired of condescending people telling me to move on and treat the Star Wars I grew up with as a lie.
Who is telling you to move on? You don't have to move on. If you want to live in the old EU, you do you. That doesn't suddenly make it more important to the general public or mean it makes any sense for them to continue it. I have not heard one logical reason for the old EU to continue. Once they made the decision to make The Force Awakens the film they have, it made not one bit of sense.

Star Wars is a film series. The idea that it would ever be beholden to some books that were created as an aside, never intended to be on film, is where things get ridiculous.

We're telling you the truth. The EU is not something not many people know or care about. You are entitled to your experience you had with it and there are many undeniably good stories within. However expecting the EU gives the films a sense of being something new rather than being restricted to an adaptation, gives the writers more creative freedom, and lets the film go in directions the EU was forbade from going. Movies are stories that the masses will care about and that the masses will value, hence why the prequels will never be ejected regardless of how many dislike them (myself included). I have empathy for your loss, it's how I felt at the end of the Raimi era of Spider-Man, but just celebrate the years you had with EU and look forward to experiencing a new and unpredictable universe you haven't experienced since you first discovered the EU to begin with!

Who is telling you to move on? You don't have to move on. If you want to live in the old EU, you do you. That doesn't suddenly make it more important to the general public or mean it makes any sense for them to continue it. I have not heard one logical reason for the old EU to continue. Once they made the decision to make The Force Awakens the film they have, it made not one bit of sense.

Star Wars is a film series. The idea that it would ever be beholden to some books that were created as an aside, never intended to be on film, is where things get ridiculous.

We're telling you the truth. The EU is not something not many people know or care about. You are entitled to your experience you had with it and there are many undeniably good stories within. However expecting the EU gives the films a sense of being something new rather than being restricted to an adaptation, gives the writers more creative freedom, and lets the film go in directions the EU was forbade from going. Movies are stories that the masses will care about and that the masses will value, hence why the prequels will never be ejected regardless of how many dislike them (myself included). I have empathy for your loss, it's how I felt at the end of the Raimi era of Spider-Man, but just celebrate the years you had with EU and look forward to experiencing a new and unpredictable universe you haven't experienced since you first discovered the EU to begin with!

Agreed with both.

I said last page you can continue to love the EU. Darth and I were talking about how there are favorite stories that we will always cherish. But it is moving on.

The fandom for the EU has always been a fairly niche thing. While it has a dedicated and passionate fan base, when compared to the millions upon millions of fans of the Star Wars out there in general, I can bet you they've never heard of the Yuuzhan Vong or whatever.

And both are right: The Star Wars series is a Film Series first.

I think there will be some EU things in these movies. Nothing they're telling us now but I suspect an appearance by Mara or a reference to Thrawn. Its possible Ridley and Driver are solo children. We don't know who Gleeson is playing. We know Arndt wrote a script with the EU children and Lawrence and JJ rewrote it but supposedly kept the core or something.

There were whispers in the early days of EpVII that the Solo/Skywalker kids were being adapted with different names. And that some characters specifically Mara Jade are a 1-1 adaptation and are being kept hidden.

Last edited:
The fandom for the EU has always been a fairly niche thing. While it has a dedicated and passionate fan base, when compared to the millions upon millions of fans of the Star Wars out there in general, I can bet you they've never heard of the Yuuzhan Vong or whatever.

And both are right: The Star Wars series is a Film Series first.

Yeah so true.

The minute they started putting better books, games and comics out there then the dynamic changed.
That is some backwards logic. There is no Star Wars out there that is anything close to the OT. Not to mention Star Wars literally started as a film series. That is what it is. There is a reason people are talking about the first real Star Wars in either 10 or 32 years. Depending on how you feel about the prequels. No one is counting down from any point in the EU.

The minute they started putting better books, games and comics out there then the dynamic changed.

Considering even the highly vaunted Thrawn trilogy couldn't reach the level of the OT, then you have an interesting view of the dynamic of the series. And considering a very large amount of stuff produced is barely able to reach PT quality, then the dynamic is right where it belongs.

Considering how much the recent EU nearly killed my interest in Star Wars, I think it is a good thing to start over. Any movie that would have to adhere to the past 5-10 years of novels would be terrible.

You love the EU, that's fine. There is some stuff I wish would continue. It really sucked that Legacy II was ending (screw Cade Skywalker, I want more Ania Solo and crew). But, sometimes stories end. And why limit what very awesome creative team can to do by chaining them to subpar writers. You will always have your EU stories. You just have to learn to accept that that story is done, and that Star Wars is moving on.

In defense of Smallville Fan and other EU fans, Dark Horse cannot sale anymore of their Star Wars titles starting in 2015. Meaning there's a big sale for their digiital titles till New Years Eve. SO when they're gone, they're gone. And their print stuff will eventually be out of print, so for those who want some physical trades and comics..get them now before they become overly expensive. I can see their value jump dramatically in a few years.

Yes it's about moving on but I disagree about 'You'll always have your EU',because EU (at least in comic book form) will be no longer be available to purchase and will be lost to the next generation. I don't know how that extends to the novels and video games. I guess The Force Unleashed won't be available to purchase in due time unless a deal is struck that keeps that title around digitally.

I'll bet Dark Horse and Disney will come to a deal. I would bet money on that. Not right away but eventually you'll see them I bet.

Yeah what might happen is that some thing like Legacy or The Star Wars might get published under Marvel eventually. Archived of course.

Of course it will, they are just doing it chronologically right now. It's money in both of their pockets. It will just be under Legends. Dark Horse can't make any new comics, or omnibus's without Disney's approval. In time we will get those I'm almost certain of that.

Marvel is already announced a collection that contains Dark Horse content.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"