No Way Home "You've Stuck Your Webs In My Business For The Last Time!" Alfred Molina Returns As Doctor Octopus

Alfred Molina was brilliant as Otto, it was familiar but also different. Molina goes the distance in his performance so much . I love his interaction with Tom Holland. The bridge fight was dynamic and very remincent to that of the classic train sequence from Spider-Man 2.

The line in the fantastic bridge fight with them where Ock says;

Ock: "I should have killed your little girlfriend when I had the chance"
Peter: "What did you just say?!?"

That was good. Chilling.

Honestly?

They took one of the most important villain for comic book movies history and made him cartoony villain who is defeated in few minutes as a joke. Then he disappear and don't do much, and they promote this movie with him as the main villain.

I thought that maybe his "motivation" for fight will be a promise of bringing back his wife trough some time/multiverse shenanigans, but no... Nope.

So...

Peter was determined to cure all of the villains so that they'd have a chance at redemption in their own universes, but Ock specifically said that he was ripped from his universe right around this moment at the 4:00 mark:

Peter fulfilled his promise to Octavius, but my question is, wouldn't he have gotten sent back to that exact moment and still have to sacrifice himself to save the city from his fusion reactor anyway?

I loved that Giacchino brought back Elfman's theme of Doc Ock while doing a new version that fit systematically.

So...

Peter was determined to cure all of the villains so that they'd have a chance at redemption in their own universes, but Ock specifically said that he was ripped from his universe right around this moment at the 4:00 mark:

Peter fulfilled his promise to Octavius, but my question is, wouldn't he have gotten sent back to that exact moment and still have to sacrifice himself to save the city from his fusion reactor anyway?

I'd like to think that Strange sent them all back to the present in their respective universes. Peter's entire plan hinged on making sure none of them die after all.

Honestly?

They took one of the most important villain for comic book movies history and made him cartoony villain who is defeated in few minutes as a joke. Then he disappear and don't do much, and they promote this movie with him as the main villain.

I thought that maybe his "motivation" for fight will be a promise of bringing back his wife trough some time/multiverse shenanigans, but no... Nope.
I agree. Even the fight on the bridge was a little cartoony. Molina seemed over the top and then Peter just overriding the arms like that was too easy

Yeah I wish Ock and Goblin got more dialogue together while both were evil.
I wish
Strange hadn't teleported Peter and Ock away right when Gobby showed up on the bridge. That was the MCU equivalent of when Godzilla first showed up in the 2014 movie at the airport and they immediately cut away from the fight. I guess I wouldn't have minded as much if Norman didn't smash the mask to pieces in his next scene.

I also would have liked to see more action with Ock, but I don't think they tarnished him at all and if we ever do want to see him at his peak, we can always go back to SM2 which will probably never be topped anyways.

I thought the bridge fight was pretty awesome, but it doesn't come close to anything in SM2 and really his role for the rest of the movie was pretty faithful to how his arc ended in SM2.

I also would have liked to see more action with Ock, but I don't think they tarnished him at all and if we ever do want to see him at his peak, we can always go back to SM2 which will probably never be topped anyways.

I thought the bridge fight was pretty awesome, but it doesn't come close to anything in SM2 and really his role for the rest of the movie was pretty faithful to how his arc ended in SM2.

What could?

So...

Only pressing the button was specified to send them back exactly to their deaths, but the button never got pressed. Since Strange ended up sending them back with a different spell , after he'd presumably been convinced that it wasn't necessary to let them die, I assume he could have sent them back to a different place and/or time.

Molina was amazing, as expected. And I for one am glad that they didn't overplay him as a villain. As the most tragic of the villains, it was only right he be "fixed" first.

Honestly after Spider-man 2 I was more eager to see more of his good side than anything, so I liked what they did with him.

Also I'm glad he got to keep his powers. I like to think that he'll do some good with them (and whatever other inventions he makes) in the Raimiverse now. Maybe he'll be that universe's Tony Stark.

Molina's performance was still as on point as ever just like Dafoe as Norman Osborn/Green Goblin. It's like both of those guys never left honestly even though its been years since they've been in these roles.

It definitely felt like something special seeing them be reintroduced in the MCU.

I loved the moment when he holds the arc reactor in his hand and starts saying "the power of the sun..." only for
Tobey
to come in and complete his phrase. The tone of his voice is genuine amazement, along with a bit of sadness, that someone else actually succeeded where he failed.

Last edited:
interesting comments I found on a Youtube review

"it was dumb how Holland "fixed" Doc Ock. He wasn't evil because the chip on his neck broke although that played a factor. He was evil because of his guilt and shame for the death of his wife and failure of his project as well as his ego."

"
There are plenty of instances where Octavius conversed and even debated with the arms. Did they influence him? Yes. But did Octavius have any agency in his actions? Absolutely. It's why Peter had to appeal to the goodness in him. He didn't need to be "fixed""

could NWH have misinterpreted Doc Ock?

I think that's at least somewhat valid, but if clearly having appeared in a different universe couldn't snap him out of his bad guy routine, the arms would have to have been doing work on the man, haha. By the time they "fixed" him, Otto without the arms actively influencing him would be more than reasonable enough to realize that things were wonky, right?

interesting comments I found on a Youtube review

"it was dumb how Holland "fixed" Doc Ock. He wasn't evil because the chip on his neck broke although that played a factor. He was evil because of his guilt and shame for the death of his wife and failure of his project as well as his ego."

"
There are plenty of instances where Octavius conversed and even debated with the arms. Did they influence him? Yes. But did Octavius have any agency in his actions? Absolutely. It's why Peter had to appeal to the goodness in him. He didn't need to be "fixed""

could NWH have misinterpreted Doc Ock?

Exactly. The made Doc Ock cartoon villain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"