Zack Snyder Confirms Ending!

FlawlessVictory

Superhero
Reaction score
A few online fanboys have been disappointed by reports from the test screening of the changed ending. Specifically a key moment in the graphic novel revolves around the disastrous repercussions of a 'giant alien squid' being teleported into New York City, an event that is changed in the movie (there's still a disaster but no squid). Snyder says "The fans, god love 'em, they're all up in arms about the squid. What they should be up in arms about are things like shooting the pregnant woman, 'God is real and he's American', whether THAT's in the movie. That's my point of view, maybe I'm crazy." He does admit that the ending scenes with the main characters remain, as does the 'moral imperative' of the comic's ending.

What about talk he did some 'squid' stuff in pre-production? "Well... I don't want to say yes or no (laughs). The squid was not in the movie when I got the script, the squid was never in any draft that I saw. My point is only that there was this elegant solution to the squid problem that I kind of embraced. I'm a fan of the thing as much as anyone, I was saying what are we going to do about this before I even read the script." Was that solution multiple atomic explosions as some have said? "I won't say exactly but... Dr. Manhattan has a certain energy signature, it's clearly his thing...so you know." He also shot down reports of multiple endings - they only filmed the one.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/081107k.php

:( Damn. I'm not sure what to think of this...

I'm disappointed, but I'll wait to pass judgment till I see the film.

It's a fine change.

It's small [well, as small a change like that can be]...and, really, has the same effect.

We'll know for sure how it plays out on March 6th. Just really disappointed that they left out the squid.

I'm not COMPLETELY sold that the movie is playing out the way the reports are saying, though. I'm still unsure with this whole squid fiasco. They hired that guy for the designs, right? So I don't understand...it was pointless hiring him then? :huh:

But is the SEYMOUR scene still there?!

i personally think that the problem with the squid was that you have to get all the backstory about the writers and scientists who disappear like in the graphic novel... otherwise everyone will be there wondering where the hell that thing is coming from... im pretty sure the writers/scientists missing and them partying in the boat and then exploding will be cut from the movie... comedians gonna mention it when he talks to moloch but i dont think we'll get to see them... thats my point of view of the thing...

and i dont think that putting the squid out change the ending a lot cause the point of the ending is did weidt truly did what was right... or was it wrong to do such a thing that killed millions of people to save people... as long as this is in there ill be happy with it... what happens to kill millions of people isnt whats important... its the ambiguity of doing so... was it right or not...

Good God, it's not the end of the world. I don't mind it at all. As long as the theme is there and millions die in some disaster while Ozy gets away with it then I'm fine.

Who knows? The squid probably couldn't work with the film. As lons as it doesn't detract from the main message I don't see what's the big deal. It's a damn squid. It could be symbolism for the sins of man coming back to destroy them in a way but other than that, it's just a big ass squid that's just there for nothing to just destroy. Even reading the GN I really didn't care about the thing. I just love that image of the vender and the boy embracing before the die. That NEEDS to be there.

I'm sick of people acting like somehow the movie completely falls apart if there's no squid. Let's see how the ending plays out before we pass judgement.

And Snyder's right, there are more important elements to the story than the squid. Some things obviously had to go, and I can lose the squid as long as the ending still works.

im not saying the movies gonna suck because of it...it will still be amazing and maybe ill like the new ending but i just really liked the squid ending and IMO i dont like the idea of changing it...IMO being the main thing here

I'm surprised that Zack, a man who has paid SO close attention to detail throughout the movie would remove something so fundamental.

what about rorschach's journal!?!

that better be the last scene. :cmad:

what about rorschach's journal!?!

that better be the last scene. :cmad:
That'll be in there. Just look at that interview.

"The fans, god love 'em, they're all up in arms about the squid. What they should be up in arms about are things like shooting the pregnant woman, 'God is real and he's American', whether THAT's in the movie. That's my point of view, maybe I'm crazy."

Rorschach's Journal WITHOUT A DAMN DOUBT fits into that category.

I'm fine with the new ending, the squid ending just seems like it would have been more visually exciting, though I haven't seen this new one, so I have no clue.

I'm surprised that Zack, a man who has paid SO close attention to detail throughout the movie would remove something so fundamental.
It's not like it won't have the same meaning from the book. It would be just be presented in a different way.

A shame.....I wanted to see the squid,I'm interested in seeing if this new ending will work out though.

They still have to make it a danger from another dimension or space or something...I won't accept Dr. Manhatten killing everyone...

They still have to make it a danger from another dimension or space or something...I won't accept Dr. Manhatten killing everyone...
Not Dr. Manhatten but Veidt framing Manhatten for doing so.

Good God, it's not the end of the world. I don't mind it at all. As long as the theme is there and millions die in some disaster while Ozy gets away with it then I'm fine.

Who knows? The squid probably couldn't work with the film. As lons as it doesn't detract from the main message I don't see what's the big deal. It's a damn squid. It could be symbolism for the sins of man coming back to destroy them in a way but other than that, it's just a big ass squid that's just there for nothing to just destroy. Even reading the GN I really didn't care about the thing. I just love that image of the vender and the boy embracing before the die. That NEEDS to be there.
Yeah it kinda is. That's the point.

My only thoughts:

F**k you, Zack Snyder. An atomic man does not equate to a world uniting problem... especially when that man is American.

Uh...yes it does. If that atomic man attacks cities all over earth, and could easily wipe out the human race...which he can. And which Veidt apparently makes it look like he does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"