DC TV Series ‘Batman: Caped Crusader’: Animated Series From Bruce Timm, J.J. Abrams, Matt Reeves Greenlit

Outside of Conroy, if there is a role reprisal, I'd be tempted to go with Jeremy Sisto again. Bruce Timm was a massive fan of his performance and this could be the perfect chance to give him more to do.

I would definitely avoid Bruce Greenwood though (who Timm has cast twice). He has become far too monotonous.

Last edited:
So I was lucky enough to interview James Tucker about his work on the DCAU for about three hours yesterday, and as you might expect, some talk of CAPED CRUSADER came up. A lot of what he said in that regard was off the record, but I think I can share that the 2023 premiere date is not set in stone. It's still possible, but don't be surprised if we don't see it until 2024. If I had to guess, I'd say it'll likely premiere somewhere around the time that Matt Reeves' sequel to THE BATMAN comes out.

And yes, expect a more STRANGE DAYS look and treatment for Batman, although it won't be a period piece.

And you'd better believe that I sent in some samples to WBA! Wish me luck!
"Batman: Caped Crusader (HBO Max)" Animated Series News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Interesting that it’s not a period piece.

God, I hope they don't do stunt casting with this, I'm getting tired of it. If you're not gonna go in the Kevin Conroy direction, give us someone new or unknown. I saw an interview with Kevin not long ago where he was saying that if BTAS was made today, he never would have even been given the opportunity to become the Batman we know and love because they would have just cast a celebrity in the role instead, like they do nowadays.

I do agree that Jeremy Sisto would be a welcome return though, he was underrated.

A possible wait until 2024? They better goddamn double that episode order, then.

Ten just ain’t gonna cut it.

Of all the BTAS architects, I feel like Eric Radomski tends not to get enough of the praise he deserves and I really hope this show’s Gotham and the rest of the backgrounds we see are at that level.

They apparently "pushed out" Tom Ascheim, the guy who oversaw the children's programming and who announced the show a year ago... Well, that doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

...Come on, this is a BTAS revival in spirit, don't cancel it! If they only care about money, this thing could be extremely profitable if done correctly! :argh:

New podcast interview with Ed Brubaker on ''Word Balloon with John Siuntres''. Batman: Caped Crusader talk begins @66 minutes in.

Some of the highlights:
- Currently working on the scripts for the last couple of episodes this season.
- First voice recording will begin very soon.
- Timm and Tucker have been casting the voices for the last couple of months.
- Brubaker reached out to Timm for freelancing opportunities and was surprised when he suggested the gig of head writer on Caped Crusader. Although Brubaker still had to interview and Timm needed to jump through some hoops to land him the gig.
- It will be a PG show (Family audience). Slightly more adult than what was done before and very much a new take on Batman in the late 40's/early 50's era.

- The show will be getting animation samples from studios vying for the job soon and that side of it will be full steam ahead in a couple of months.
- Timm, Tucker and ''some other writer'' came up with the pitch for the show 2/3 years ago and they loosely followed that idea with Brubaker, ultimately building a ''new thing'' with them.
- It will remind you a lot of ''the other show'' (B:TAS) but will also shock you in the ways it is different.
- Greg Rucka is the writer of episode 2, which will be the first Renee Montoya episode.
- Ed Brubaker has written episode 4, which has ''Gotham Central'' moments focusing more on Gordon and the cops than Batman himself (although he stresses the show is not inspired by that run of comics).
- Scripts are roughly 30-34 pages (I don't know if that is slightly longer than the average 20 minute cartoon).

Apologies for the information dump. Just in case some may not have time to listen to the end of the interview.

Not really news in the strictest sense, but I was watching a video discussion between Scott Snyder and Chip Zdarsky to mark the start of Zdarsky’s Batman run, and when asked if he would like to write Batman in another medium (he said no), he did mention that when he found out Ed Brubaker would be running a new Batman animated series, he begged to do a voice cameo as Matches Malone or (I believe) Killer Moth or something like that, and Brubaker even ran it past Bruce Timm, but it didn’t sound like it was happening. I thought that was funny.

Prayer circle for this show, please.

- Partially greenlight by Tom Ascheim, who is now gone.
- J.J. Abrams' deal under increased scrutiny.
- Designed for HBO Max (who are now re-evaluating their animation strategy).
- Premiering on CN's Sunday night ACME block (also spearheaded by Ascheim). How long will this last for?

Even if it does survive and ends up on CN, you know they'll mistreat it as it isn't a wacky 11 minute comedy. It'll be Beware the Batman all over again.

Last edited:
Oh god, i was already sacred seeing a new post on this...gave me almost a heart attack XD.
But yeah, we better start working on detaching ourselfs emotionally from every DC property at this stage.

Its for the best when these *******s cancel stuff or otherwise mess with it.
Its sad that you cant get excited for a lot because you have to fear some higher up nutjob cancels things.

Oh god, i was already sacred seeing a new post on this...gave me almost a heart attack XD.

Sorry... I knew some would freak when they saw a new post.

I wonder though, does Zaslav consider this more of a HBO Max show or a Cartoon Network show?

There ain't no way this is still happening now.

Sucks. :csad:

If they don't want to piss of Reeves... this should be at least getting one season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"