Animation ‘Batman: Caped Crusader’: Animated Series From Bruce Timm, J.J. Abrams, Matt Reeves Greenlit

Discussion in 'DC Comics TV' started by Detective Conan, May 19, 2021.

1. Pfeiffer-Pfan Cool Rider

Outside of Conroy, if there is a role reprisal, I'd be tempted to go with Jeremy Sisto again. Bruce Timm was a massive fan of his performance and this could be the perfect chance to give him more to do.

I would definitely avoid Bruce Greenwood though (who Timm has cast twice). He has become far too monotonous.

#226 Pfeiffer-Pfan, Mar 17, 2022
    Last edited: May 12, 2022
    Lencho01, Daltonio and Arachnerd like this.
  2. Slick Yup

"Batman: Caped Crusader (HBO Max)" Animated Series News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Interesting that it’s not a period piece.

3. Daltonio Avi Arad's Sidekick

God, I hope they don't do stunt casting with this, I'm getting tired of it. If you're not gonna go in the Kevin Conroy direction, give us someone new or unknown. I saw an interview with Kevin not long ago where he was saying that if BTAS was made today, he never would have even been given the opportunity to become the Batman we know and love because they would have just cast a celebrity in the role instead, like they do nowadays.

I do agree that Jeremy Sisto would be a welcome return though, he was underrated.

4. Arachnerd The White Portuguese

5. Sawyer High King

A possible wait until 2024? They better goddamn double that episode order, then.

Ten just ain’t gonna cut it.

6. GREEN =w= DAY Registered

Gilbert Gotfried needs to voice Batman :o

danlav05 likes this.
  7. The Lazarus Pit The Boy Wonder

He’s always going to be my Mxyzptlk. Perfect casting there.

8. Sawyer High King

Of all the BTAS architects, I feel like Eric Radomski tends not to get enough of the praise he deserves and I really hope this show’s Gotham and the rest of the backgrounds we see are at that level.

J.Drangal likes this.
  9. Pfeiffer-Pfan Cool Rider

10. Arachnerd The White Portuguese

Well that's a whole load of nothing lol.

J.Drangal likes this.
  11. Slick Yup

Yeah lol I was gonna put in my post that it wasn’t really nothing but was like screw it.

I Am The Knight likes this.
  12. Pfeiffer-Pfan Cool Rider

You better not mess with this show, Zaslav...

J.Drangal likes this.
  13. J.Drangal Registered

They apparently "pushed out" Tom Ascheim, the guy who oversaw the children's programming and who announced the show a year ago... Well, that doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

...Come on, this is a BTAS revival in spirit, don't cancel it! If they only care about money, this thing could be extremely profitable if done correctly! :argh:

14. Pfeiffer-Pfan Cool Rider

New podcast interview with Ed Brubaker on ''Word Balloon with John Siuntres''. Batman: Caped Crusader talk begins @66 minutes in.

Some of the highlights:
    - Currently working on the scripts for the last couple of episodes this season.
    - First voice recording will begin very soon.
    - Timm and Tucker have been casting the voices for the last couple of months.
    - Brubaker reached out to Timm for freelancing opportunities and was surprised when he suggested the gig of head writer on Caped Crusader. Although Brubaker still had to interview and Timm needed to jump through some hoops to land him the gig.
    - It will be a PG show (Family audience). Slightly more adult than what was done before and very much a new take on Batman in the late 40's/early 50's era.

- The show will be getting animation samples from studios vying for the job soon and that side of it will be full steam ahead in a couple of months.
    - Timm, Tucker and ''some other writer'' came up with the pitch for the show 2/3 years ago and they loosely followed that idea with Brubaker, ultimately building a ''new thing'' with them.
    - It will remind you a lot of ''the other show'' (B:TAS) but will also shock you in the ways it is different.
    - Greg Rucka is the writer of episode 2, which will be the first Renee Montoya episode.
    - Ed Brubaker has written episode 4, which has ''Gotham Central'' moments focusing more on Gordon and the cops than Batman himself (although he stresses the show is not inspired by that run of comics).
    - Scripts are roughly 30-34 pages (I don't know if that is slightly longer than the average 20 minute cartoon).

Apologies for the information dump. Just in case some may not have time to listen to the end of the interview.

15. Sawyer High King

Not really news in the strictest sense, but I was watching a video discussion between Scott Snyder and Chip Zdarsky to mark the start of Zdarsky’s Batman run, and when asked if he would like to write Batman in another medium (he said no), he did mention that when he found out Ed Brubaker would be running a new Batman animated series, he begged to do a voice cameo as Matches Malone or (I believe) Killer Moth or something like that, and Brubaker even ran it past Bruce Timm, but it didn’t sound like it was happening. I thought that was funny.

Pfeiffer-Pfan likes this.