DC TV Series ‘Batman: Caped Crusader’: Animated Series From Bruce Timm, J.J. Abrams, Matt Reeves Greenlit

Based on the press release, they seem to be positioning this as a spiritual successor to B:TAS. It's own thing but with some of the sensibilities/DNA of the animated series.

A sort of 'B:TAS: Re-imagined'.

It would allow them to bring back some Crew/Cast but frame it as a new beginning, without fans comparing it exactly to what came before.

I do think we are overdue for a new animated Batman series. I’m so excited for this.
That being said, they should really give Wonder Woman an animated series. It’s LOOOOOOONG overdue.

But man, I’m such a sucker for anything BTAS or art in that classic Timm style. That teaser is gorgeous

Those three creatives. That poster. You certainly have my attention!

Someone pointed out on another forum that Reeves' influence is spreading more than Nolan.

The Batman
GCPD
Batman: Caped Crusader
The Long Halloween Parts 1 and 2

They also listed The Flash, Batman ‘89, Batman: Earth One Vol3 and Gotham Knights but I don't know how they connect to Reeves?

Not really in Nolan day

we had The Animated Batman cartoon The Batman, the animated tie-in Gotham Knights, a mini limited comic book series .

tbf Nolan just made popular movies and Embargoed nearly all teh Batvillains from JLU.

Kevin Smith teased a 'BTAS revival' for 2022 - could his sources actually have been talking about this?

I'll say this: Both the Batman and Superman show look like what I wanted from these characters. It's a shame some are judging it harshly for its art style but that style leads itself to great fluid animation. Batman excels are the darker noir style while Superman excels at relatable wholesome moments of humanity (something not just for kids!). I can't wait to see where we go from here.

Also, I hope Timm keeps his BrucexBarbara fixation in check and they just don't go down that route if she's a character on this show.

I'm still traumatized from that sex scene in The Killing Joke.

I'm worried about the involvement of J.J. Abrams , he hasn't really hit his mark since his Alias days. Also Matt Reeves attempted with grounding The Batman might inhibit Batman from being a fantastical character but more grounded. Especially since his inspiration is Batman: EGO.

I hope I'm wrong and it's successful

Also, I hope Timm keeps his BrucexBarbara fixation in check and they just don't go down that route if she's a character on this show.

I'm still traumatized from that sex scene in The Killing Joke.
When I saw “Bruce Timm” and “HBO Max” my very first thought was, “Please, Bruce. Don’t make him have sex with Babs if she’s in this too.”

I'm not expecting a lot of Batfamily at the beginning but I hope Catwoman/Dick/babs heavily feature at one point. Im sure all of the newer Bat-characters will end up making an appearance.

*Sigh*

I'm going to repost what I said about this whole Timm and Barbara/Bruce relationship stuff recently:

1.) The initial idea on Batman Beyond came from Alan Burnett, who felt it might be interesting if Barbara had an infatuation with Bruce and decided to stay in Gotham. She hints at a relationship, but Terry never hears Bruce's side of that story, so it could be something that Barbara embellished.

2.) It's progression in Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman (DTV), clearly shows Bruce is uncomfortable around Barbara when she is flirting with him, signifying that he doesn't know how to let her down gently. Bruce Timm had NO involvement with this movie. It was produced by... you guessed it... Alan Burnett.

3.) The recent Batman Beyond comics by DC are not canon to the show, so ignore that whole pregnancy nonsense. Just terrible.

4.) Yes, Bruce Timm did produce Batman: The Killing Joke, but it seems the sex scene was something he simply went along with. Something that was developed in the writer's room with Brian Azzarello (poor choice) and, yep... Alan Burnett (Co-Producer).

While Bruce Timm gets the majority of the credit for the DCAU, he was not a dictator on the shows and others had ideas too. ONE misstep (That others suggested) does not negate a 30 year career and suddenly color all future projects.

So what's the perceived timetable here? Premiere this year or next?

I have seen enough to suggest that Timm does need some solid reigning in by Standard and Practices though.

Let’s recap how many Batman animated cartoons their have been since the beginning of the characters debut. (Not counting Superfriends ,Justice League and Young Justice )

1.The Adventures Of Batman (1968)
The New Adventures Of Batman (1977)
3. Batman: The Animated Series (1992)
4. The New Batman Adventures (1997)
5. Batman Beyond (1999)
6. The Batman (2005)
7. Batman: The Brave And The Bold (2008)
8. Beware The Batman (2013)
9. Batman Unlimited (2015)
10. Batman: Caped Crusader (2022)

The Dark Knight had a lengthy period in animation some highly successful and others not so much. That’s pretty impressive for DC’s number 2 hero behind Superman.

...No offense, but...I don't know how you can look at the past 30 years and think that Batman is behind anyone at DC. He's been their number 1 guy for at least two decades now.

If Superman is still their number 1 character, they've done a weak job proving it.

Cannot wait for this to happen. I've fallen in love with the the 39 style ears and vibe in recent years. I wonder what voice talent we'll get here.

...No offense, but...I don't know how you can look at the past 30 years and think that Batman is behind anyone at DC. He's been their number 1 guy for at least two decades now.

If Superman is still their number 1 character, they've done a weak job proving it.

the fact that you see this is proof that Warner Bros./ Dc Comics has dropped the ball on Superman despite their claims Sups is their number one character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hugoodeww
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"