DC TV Series ‘Batman: Caped Crusader’: Animated Series From Bruce Timm, J.J. Abrams, Matt Reeves Greenlit

Based on the press release, they seem to be positioning this as a spiritual successor to B:TAS. It's own thing but with some of the sensibilities/DNA of the animated series.

A sort of 'B:TAS: Re-imagined'.

It would allow them to bring back some Crew/Cast but frame it as a new beginning, without fans comparing it exactly to what came before.
This is how I see it too, although I do think they may go with a new voice cast. Either way, im pumped!

Loving the old school Bob Kane-look! From the press release, I can't help but think of the 2014 animated short Strange Days. I'd be all for a Batman show that starts off with such early Golden Age villains as Hugo Strange, The Monk, Dr. Death, Carl Kruger, Duc D'Orterre, then leading up to Joker, Penguin, etc.

So what's the perceived timetable here? Premiere this year or next?
Animation being as slow moving as it is and not knowing how long they’ve been working on this one, I’m going to assume 2022.

...No offense, but...I don't know how you can look at the past 30 years and think that Batman is behind anyone at DC. He's been their number 1 guy for at least two decades now.

If Superman is still their number 1 character, they've done a weak job proving it.

Try 3 decades (since 89). As for them doing a weak job, well in In quality yes but certainly not in quantity. On TV Batman certainly has had more exposure animation wise but Superman has had considerably more exposure life action tv wise, I mean just look at Superman's TV history:

1. Fleicher cartoons (yes they were theatrical in the 40s because there was no TV but then they re-aired on TV).
2. Filmation Superman cartoons (60s)
3. Filmation Superboy (young Clark in Smallville) cartoons (60s)
4. Ruby Spears cartoons (80s)
5. STAS (90s)
6. Legion of Superheroes (2000s) Everyone forgets that this is a Superman cartoon, the only reason Superman's (or more accurately Superboy's) name is on the title because of the Superman copy right issues at the time
7. My adventures with Superman (2020s)

Now live action:

1. Adventures of Superman (George Reeves)
2. Superboy (80s)
3. L&C
4. Smallville
5. Krypton
6. Superman and Lois

I'm not gonna count the "it's a bird, it's a plane" TV adaptation of the musical because the less said about that abomination the better.

At the end of the day though it's all about quality and I for one would rather them not making any Superman or Batman related stuff if it's not up to snuff

Been thinking about this, and I don't think I've been as excited for animated project in a long time. Those three creatives shepherding the project is huge - one gives a link to BTAS but something brand new.

Bruce Timm has been EP on many of the Animated Movies DC has been producing since 2007, so he's been 'in and out' of Batmanimation over the past 13 years.

Notably, since 1992 most new Batman anmated series coincides with a live action theatrical feature:

1992: Batman Returns; The Animated Series
1996: Batman & Robin; The New Batman Adventures (OK, an updated rebrand of the above, but still)
2005: Batman Begins; The Batman
2008: The Dark Knight; Brave and the Bold
2012: The Dark Knight Rises; 2013: Beware The Batman
2022: The Batman; Caped Crusader

The Batman was OK (after the DCAU it was going to be overshadowed by it) and Brave and the Bold was a fantastic love letter to the Bronze Age of the DCU, but could this be the Batman animated series for a new generation?

Also it will be interesting to see where they go with casting. Kevin Conroy again? Actors from the animated movies? Or new people entirely?

Can't wait to learn more!

Some being worried about Tim’s involvement is wild to me! Sure, he’s had some missteps but... it’s Bruce Timm! He’s the godfather of DC animation.
His involvement makes me feel anything but worried. Especially if it’s going back to his roots

I would think having Bruce Timm back for this and doing the art would send everybody over the moon. I mean we have Bruce Timm AND Matt Reeves on a new Batman animated series. That's just incredible news.

Last edited:
Matt Reeves: "I want to produce a Batman prequel centered around the GCPD and a nuanced Batman animated series with an old-noir feel."
WB: "Both already been done."
Matt Reeves:
dont-care-gif-15.gif

Props to selfishmisery for this one. :hehe:

There's enough new Batman voices out there, that I honestly don't see the harm in Conroy doing the voice for this. In the last two years alone, we've had:

- Jason O'Mara (DCAMU)
- Troy Baker (Batman vs TMNT)
- Roger Craig Smith (Superman: Red Son)
- David Giuntoli (Batman: Soul of the Dragon)
- Michael Antonokos (Gotham Knights)
- Jensen Ackles (Batman: The Long Halloween)
- Keith Ferguson (DC Superhero Girls)
- Bruce Greenwood (YJ, Death in the Family)
- Diedrich Bader (Harley Quinn)

All of the above doing unique, interesting takes on the character. Conroy is not cast in every project (a weird thing I've seen online). He is not hogging the role and his career isn't over just because he has turned 65.

If Keaton can come back at 69, I don't know why people are being ageist about Conroy.

I'm not saying he should definitely do it, but I have no problem if Timm casts him in the role again.

I really liked Kevin McKidd in Flashpoint as Thomas Wayne Batman. It would be cool to hear him back.

I really liked Kevin McKidd in Flashpoint as Thomas Wayne Batman. It would be cool to hear him back.

He was great.

Anthony Ruivivar was another strong Batman and his voice would certainly suit this iteration of the character.

I dont think Conroys age has anything to do with not wanting him. But his voice is seasoned and you can definitely hear it. He doesn't have that young Bruce Wayne voice or the more intense voice imo. It's somewhere in between and a little on autopilot imo and I imagine because he's done it so long on so many different projects. So let's gets a new voice, for a new batman.

Last edited:
I'll always want as much Conroy as we can get but if they go for a new voice....I don't want any name actors. Truly pass the torch onto a new VA who can make their name behind the cowl.

I don't mind Conroy coming back to cameo. Or even being a narrator for the series. Idk. I just would like some new talent.

It’s always good to get new blood.

We all love Conroy, but pass the torch to someone else. I personally would love to see Greenwood take a swing at this series.

Agree with ROGUE TROPPER.
Hope to see villains like: The Mad Monk with Dala, Dr. Death, and Basil Karlo in his original Clayface form(Mask and Makeup).

Also hope they skip doing a full episode on Batman's origin.
Just do a montage of his origin in an episode like they did in DETECTIVE COMICS #33.

BatmanOrigin.jpg

It’s always good to get new blood.

We all love Conroy, but pass the torch to someone else. I personally would love to see Greenwood take a swing at this series.

You say you want new blood, then suggest Greenwood, who has been more bland in the role than Conroy has ever been in the past few years.

Greenwood is flat and monotonous in Young Justice and sounded bored as bad place in Death in the Family last year.

Timm knows what he's doing so I'm up for whoever they cast, but we know it'll get complaints just like it always does.

It'll be one of the following:

1.) Why Conroy? I'm sick of him.
2.) No Conroy? Then I'm not interested.

Agree with ROGUE TROPPER.
Hope to see villains like: The Mad Monk with Dala, Dr. Death, and Basil Karlo in his original Clayface form(Mask and Makeup).

Also hope they skip doing a full episode on Batman's origin.
Just do a montage of his origin in an episode like they did in DETECTIVE COMICS #33.

View attachment 45927
An adaptation of 'The Case of the Chemical Syndicate' would be cool

It's just time to pass the torch. And this is what happens in fandom, no one is ever ready to let their favorite actor go. Conroy has been voicing batman off an on for nearly 30 years. And they've always done a good job finding talent to voice these characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"