1,2 Freddy's coming for you: Welcome to the elm street thread

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Darkness Falls, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Evildoer

*keeping fingers crossed*

2. †~AntiChrist~†

†~AntiChrist~† Registered

Godzilla mania is slowy coming....

3. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Evildoer

1, 2 Godzilla Mania's coming for you. :confused:

4. †~AntiChrist~†

Because godzilla unleashed is out everyones into zilla again...

5. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Evildoer

And Cloverfield kinda adds onto that as well. ;)

6. †~AntiChrist~†

Yeah of course..

7. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Evildoer

Anyhoo, getting back on topic, I find Wes Craven's original idea for NOES 3 with freak mass occurences of teens seemingly coming to Springwood/Elm Street to commit suicide when in reality they were being picked off by Freddy to be a very dark, yet extremely interesting route to have taken the series following the first sequel. Even though I do quite enjoy "The Dream Warriors" overall final product. Ideally, I would like to see the series return to a more darker concept such as Wes' original Part 3 draft for a future Elm Street sequel if it is indeed a sequel we are talking about that ever gets off the ground.

8. Mr. Credible

Mr. Credible jukebox hero

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=41454

UPDATE: ShockTillYouDrop.com reports that Variety erroneously stated Cloverfield star Odette Yustman (pictured left) will appear in Friday the 13th. The site has confirmed the actress is instead appearing in David S. Goyer's untitled psychological thriller at Platinum Dunes.

Platinum Dunes partners Michael Bay, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form have been set by New Line to re-launch Freddy Krueger, the iconic psycho who haunts the subconscious dreams of teenagers and kills them in their sleep, reports Variety.

The trio will create a new franchise based on A Nightmare on Elm Street, the 1984 Wes Craven film. Originally played by Robert Englund, Krueger haunted nine films and two TV series.

The deal comes as Bay, Fuller and Form ready for an April start for Friday the 13th, a New Line re-launch of another iconic baddie, Jason Voorhees. Marcus Nispel will direct a script by Damian Shannon and Mark Swift (Freddy vs. Jason).

Both franchises will be given a complete overhaul, something that Platinum Dunes provided in the Nispel-directed The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. New Line won't hire a writer on "Nightmare" until the writers strike ends.

9. Lunar_Wolf

Lunar_Wolf WTF face

I have a feeling they will have Freddy taking on Jason again or something else before having his own single movie again.

10. SuperBatman

SuperBatman Registered

Ugh this sounds like a Remake to me.

11. Cagefighterkip

Cagefighterkip Mr. Golightly

im dissapointed Robert englund isnt coming back, but i love the idea of a new FK movie finally getting off the ground... i even dig the remake idea

12. Stevens25

Stevens25 Guest

Re-launch isn't the exact same thing as a remake. A remake of a classic horror film would do nothing but piss people off(see Zombie's Halloween).

13. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Evildoer

I wouldnt have mind seeing a Freddy vs Jason vs Ash film. Especially since I have quite enjoyed the comic book series so far dealing with the idea. But with this news of what is essentially a reboot of the entire Nightmare/Friday franchises, I find it unlikely another vs film with Englund will even get the green light now.

Personally, I would have taken another Freddy vs movie, sequel, or prequel than a remake/relaunch.

14. Super Kal

Super Kal Proud Conservative

a relaunch sounds awesome to me :up:

15. Mr. Credible

Mr. Credible jukebox hero

most people liked that movie... and it was miles better than the original in a lot of ways.

the only people that wold be pissed at a remake/boot of a nightmare on elm street are the die hard fanboys. and the original movie, while great, has a lot of room for improvement.

16. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Fairness, Equality, Bacon

Platinum Dunes track record with horror remakes has been just abysmal. I don't oppose a remake, but I don't trust this company to come up with anything good.

17. Bubonic

Bubonic Registered

Just don't know how it would be without Englund at the helm.
    His features, his delivery, all that is what helped shape the character for us.

But the man is old, so if he quit the franchise, or dies, how would you see things going, how would you want them to go?

18. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Fairness, Equality, Bacon

I like Englund, but if there is gonna be a new Freddy movie, it needs a new Freddy. Simply put, Freddy Krueger hasn't been scary since the first movie, in fact he's become much worse, he's become kind of cool. In the original movie he was a child molester and murderer who came back to haunt the dreams of his victims children, and over time become a cool pop culture monster with claws. Freddy needs to be scary again, so I'm glad they aren't going with Englund(though I still don't really have any faith in this movie).

19. Ghostvirus

Ghostvirus Registered

Jesus this decade makes me sick. What is so wrong with the original? Seriously. What ever. I dont really care anymore. You can catch me in a theatre with a movie that at least tries to be original. If I want to watch Freddy. I will try to do something crazy like just watch original.

20. †~AntiChrist~†

Yeah..Its been getting like that...Im sure they will change him a "bit"

21. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Evildoer

And this is exactly why I would have preferred the series take a darker route for a sequel, or even go with the much talked about prequel for the NOES franchise that I mentioned earlier. Freddy should be brought back to the more darker roots that honestly hasnt been seen since the 1984 original. A sequel could possibly achieve this. But a prequel could pretty much guarentee the idea of bringing the character of Freddy back to it's much more sinister roots that have in alot of ways, been forgotten by much of the general public. The subject matter alone would certainly warrant it. And there would have to be a pretty big mismanagement with the people involved to really screw that up. Also, and it goes without saying, there is alot of Robert wrapped up in the character of Freddy. Mannerisms, one liners, and all. And no doubt, what he brought to the part is one of the key factors as to why Freddy became such a horror icon of the 1980's and beyond. The guy has repeatedly stated that he would be up for a prequel. And loves the idea of it. And in a decade where we have seen films being made that acknowledges the resurgence of interest and nostalgia for products of the 1980's, I just cannot see why a prequel film, that would certainly illustrate the evil, and reality of what Freddy Krueger is, in what would have had potential of being a grand finale for the series, as well as ending the franchise on much more of a high note, would be such a damn problem.

But oh well. Perhaps Platinum Dunes will actually improve upon, and eclipse the original. Although, for more reasons than one, I am certainly not getting my hopes up on that happening.

22. †~AntiChrist~†

As much as we would like him to be "darker" we cant..What can they improve on his appearance? What can they improve on his nightmares? More gore maybe? more involved burns perhaps??
    No...If they change him from that he would be to different..I mean kids were scared of edwards scissors hands..and that was a childs movie...I bet maority of kids who like horror movies..And Im "talking kids" I doubt that they would be very scared of him..But cool as somone said before...Freddys had his time..The nightmare is over..

23. Ghostvirus

Ghostvirus Registered

24. daywalker2007

daywalker2007 Registered

the first movie is a masterpiece, and that music by Charles Bernstein gives me the shivers every time i hear it!

for me, its either Robert Englund or Nobody!

if they recast Freddy it will be a joke.

25. daywalker2007

daywalker2007 Registered

you are absolutely right.
    a prequel is more than possible.

better yet, a sequel set after the 1st movie, ignoring the other movies is even possible.

Hell, i want another freddy vs movie.

I don't understand why Freddy vs Jason 2 has not been given the greenlight, considering freddy vs jason made so much at the box office and made a killer profit.

while movies like saw keep getting sequels.

i want to see freddy, not those saw movies.

freddy must come back.