1, 2, Freddy's coming for you....

Cagefighterkip

Mr. Golightly
Reaction score
A thread for any Freddy fans out there, to discuss the 1984 horror classic, it's 6 sequels, Freddy vs Jason and the 2010 remake, and any impending film(s) in this long running franchise.

There were some things in the remake that didn't work , but I wish that film had a sequel. I miss Freddy.

Last year they released a box set on blu ray of all the films. It was a best buy exclusive until recently. It's definitely worth picking up because some of the discs are good quality. They didn't do anything with NOES 5 though.

Also I think every fan should own or watch the Never Sleep Again documentary. It's a great way to look back on the series through interviews.

my favourite besides no.1 will always be dream warriors :D

I love the homosexual undertones from the second film.

my favourite besides no.1 will always be dream warriors :D

:up:

The Puppet death is probably still my favorite kill of the series. Although Dream Master does have some creative ones.

Part 2 is one of my favorites. Freddy was damn scary in that, and his make up looked the best it ever did in the whole series. That pool massacre scene is pretty epic.

"You are all my children now"

Dammit, I came here hoping for news of a sequel :cmad:

But I do love my Freddy movies. I know guys who rave about Jason or Mikey but I just find that they aren't scary. They tromp around and murder you. Meh. But Freddy is another thing all together. He takes your soul after he rips apart your psyche. It's not just a "I'm in your head ooga booga" thing, it's I'm going to **** you up with your deepest darkest fears, your hopes and dreams.

That is what makes him a great villain.

I enjoyed the remake even though I found they were heavy handed with the pedophile part of the character. I liked it better in the older movies where they gave you enough that you could fill in the blanks and get what he did to the kids but they didn't shove it in your face.

I'm still hoping for a sequel. The Halloween remake got a sequel and I thought the first was pretty terrible. Maybe some day... :csad:

Dammit, I came here hoping for news of a sequel :cmad:

But I do love my Freddy movies. I know guys who rave about Jason or Mikey but I just find that they aren't scary. They tromp around and murder you. Meh. But Freddy is another thing all together. He takes your soul after he rips apart your psyche. It's not just a "I'm in your head ooga booga" thing, it's I'm going to **** you up with your deepest darkest fears, your hopes and dreams.

That is what makes him a great villain.

I enjoyed the remake even though I found they were heavy handed with the pedophile part of the character. I liked it better in the older movies where they gave you enough that you could fill in the blanks and get what he did to the kids but they didn't shove it in your face.

I'm still hoping for a sequel. The Halloween remake got a sequel and I thought the first was pretty terrible. Maybe some day... :csad:

Michael Bay/Platinum Dunes pretty much ruined the TCM remake by cutting off Leatherfaces's arm & then tried to rectify it by doing a prequel series that didn't last & then they ruined the Friday The 13th & NOES remakes/reboots by not continuing on with sequels. Sure it's not their place to make every single sequel to their reboots but they shouldn't have started something & not continue on in some capacity but it was all just a quick cash deal for them anyways.:csad:

VERY NICE thread!

I'll start with a chart of mine (and will later discuss in more detail):

1. A Nightmare on Elm Street
2. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
3. Wes Craven's New Nightmare
4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master
5. A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child
6. Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare

[100. A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)]

Aaaaand... I have to rewatch Nightmare 2 to decide where it fits in, but I didn't really like it!

Im a huge fan of the Nightmare series it's too bad we probably won't be getting another one soon if ever.

My favorite sequel is (prepares for pitchforks and torches), "Dream Child." Genius concept, could be better but the ideas save the movie IMO.

I still have my original issue Freddy box set the one that has the option to watch Freddy's Dead ending in 2D or 3D (came with 2 pairs of old school red/blue 3D glasses).

Any love for New Nightmare?

Watched it recently on the tube and forgot how well-crafted it is for a sequel. Loved Freddy's new look.

My favorite sequel is (prepares for pitchforks and torches), "Dream Child." Genius concept, could be better but the ideas save the movie IMO.

Pitchfork here. Good concept, but too much style over substance, the tone is all over the place, and the characters are hateful, even those I liked in the fourth one.

Watched it recently on the tube and forgot how well-crafted it is for a sequel. Loved Freddy's new look.

Brillant, brilliant sequel and overall movie. It's also a nice companion piece to Craven's Scream as a deconstruction of the horror genre, and in this particular case, the "horror creations".

It's been years since I watched any of the films. Time to revisit this series!

It's been a couple of years since I rewatched the entire series (and to that I don't really remember Nightmare 2 that much, I probably watched it very passively), aswell. Do that! I'll do to, it's always a helluva lot fun to revisit these movies. At least the good ones.

Some really weird ideas in that film. The directors cut to the Motorcyle death was always disturbing for some reason, and didnt he get fed to his unborn sons fetus after? That was messed up!

Also the eating yourself scene was pretty jacked up.

Overall I thought it was misbalanced in tone and not as fun as the previous two. Some original ideas though for sure.

I think its the best of the sequels after Dream Warriors.

I absolutely LOVE the 1984 original ANOES. A couple of years ago I watched a fan edit of the film, where many of the deleted/extended scenes were cut back in. For those of you who have not seen this version, I suggest looking it up on the internet and downloading it. It's worth the effort.

Part 2 is highly underrated IMHO. Whether or not you like the unintentional homosexual undertones of the film, Freddy was still pretty damned scary in this movie.

Dream Warriors was very clever, and had some genuinely creepy scenes. However, for me, this is the movie in the series that nukes the proverbial fridge (the cinematic equivilant to "Jumping the shark"), for this is the movie where Freddy starts to make the transition from scary Boogeyman, to homicidal comedian.

Dream Master and Dream Child are equally bad in my view, because these are the films where the writers, directors, producers, and whoever else, took Freddy's new comedic direction and ran with it. They weren't trying to make him scary anymore. They almost seemed to be trying to make him lovable.

Freddy's Dead is even worse for this reason. So much effort was put into making Freddy act silly, they forgot he was supposed to be SCARY!

New Nightmare was one of their best sequels after Part 2. FINALLY! Somebody decided to make Freddy scary again (likely Wes Craven himself, as the film was called "Wes Craven's New Nightmare").

Freddy vs Jason. Well, it was shot here in Vancouver, so I kinda liked that. And I do have to admit that the actual fight between Freddy & Jason was pretty good. Other than that there isn't much worth praising in this movie. I mean, sure it had a high body count and some pretty innovative kills. But there was zero suspense, and most of the machete fodder in the film were unlikable, so you don't even really want to root for any of them.

The remake was just another example of Michael Bay's cinematic *********ion. I will give the movie credit where it's due, they succeeded in making Freddy scary again, and I applaud them for that. There were some good visual effects, and they did a fair job of creating suspense. But they screwed up on one of the most basic rules of doing a remake. YOU DO NOT F**K WITH THE ORIGINAL STORY! The whole "maybe Freddy was innocent" thing ruined the whole movie for me. And I know from personal experience that you can in fact stay awake much longer than 72 hours without "spontaniously dreaming even when awake" (I sometimes get insomnia when I'm really stressed), so that screwed it up for me as well. I'd give it a B+ for style, but an F- for content (Can you even get F- as a grade? Well, you can now!)

In my senior year of college, I decided I would stay awake for long as long as possible. As time passed I found that I became more paranoid. I literally thought people were watching me and like a car was following me with the intent to run me over. As more time passed that subsided and I started to feel very numb. Almost like a sensation of being high. Once that passed on the third night I walked around campus at night. At night I would see the shadow figures darting by out of the corner of my eyes whenever I wasn't looking. I decided to walk through a wide open space and I swear it felt like these beings were converging on me from every angle just ready to attack. I went back to my room and struggled to stay awake for longer. But, I fell asleep and that is when Freddy killed me.

Okay, everything but the last part of the last sentence is true. Why go through this? The stupidity of being young and wanting to know what "micro naps" were like - it was INTENSE! It wasn't what you'd call "dreaming" with what these shadow beings were, but I'm just happy I never had night terrors. The world of sleep deprivation, for some folks, is no laughing matter.

That said, the original is still the best.

1. ANOES (1984)
2. Dream Child (Yeah, I said it)
3. New Nightmare
4. Dream Warriors
5. Freddy vs Jason
6. ANOES (2010)
7. Freddy's Revenge
8. Freddy's Dead
9. Dream Master

I think The Dream Child had some very likable characters for a slasher movie.

I think The Dream Child had some very likable characters for a slasher movie.

I agree. Flick works really well. Great FX and a great idea. Freddy haunting the dreams of an unborn child? Damn.

Yknow, I still wish they'd gone ahead with the more cerebral Nightmare 5 that was originally written though. According the Never Sleep Again doc, it was an amazing script, Kubrick-ian in nature, but the studio wouldn't fund a Stanley Kubrick-ish Nightmare movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"