2012: A Monster Year? (box office predictions) - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It won't.
I havent seen people laugh that hard at a trailer since Cowboys & Aliens and it's release date isnt that good

Let the Right One In, Let Me In, Underworld 4, Fright Night, Stakeland, Priest, Suck, Daybreakers. Probably more.

Exactly there are plenty of low key and successful R rated vampire films out there

It won't.

Let the Right One In, Let Me In, Underworld 4, Fright Night, Stakeland, Priest, Suck, Daybreakers. Probably more.

Most of those were no where popular enough to impact the public perception of vampires.

You might as well list obscure tv movies from the syfy channel.

Maybe Underworld 4 made a slight dent but that's about it.

Most of those were no where popular enough to impact the public perception of vampires.

You might as well list obscure tv movies from the syfy channel.

Maybe Underworld 4 made a slight dent but that's about it.

And they all stood a better chance than one about Abe Lincoln.

Anyway the public perception is that sparkling vampires are stupid. The only people that like it are people who wouldn't be interested in bloody R-Rated horror movies anyway.

Actually, that's why I think it hints at it much more. It's a safer spot. They moved it this late to put it in a spot with less competition. You could say they have less confidence in it to have a huge opening in June.

Fast Five in that same June spot probably wouldn't have done as well. Not with ASM, TDKR and the possibility of the runaway comedy of the year(every summer has one)

Fast Five was late April, not late March, and did not start their marketing campaign already. I don't think a Blockbuster the size of G.I. Joe ever got delayed with a little more than a month before release.

Wrath of the Titans had that similar spot this year.
Sucker Punch in 2011...
Clash of the Titans the year before...

Not that GI JOE will be bad but the odds aren't in its favor. Hope the movie turns out good though.

Not a good track record for that weekend at all. The last two films in that spot bomb domestically.

I think that had more to due with the lack of interest.

Actually, that's why I think it hints at it much more. It's a safer spot. They moved it this late to put it in a spot with less competition. You could say they have less confidence in it to have a huge opening in June.

That's certainly possible, the thing is no matter which angle you look at it from the general image it creates is one of no faith in the movie.

TDKR will dominate! death of avatar!

James Cameron can only be defeated by James Cameron.

Pffft. James Cameron is no match for James Cameron. No one is.

TDKR i think will settle around 1.2 billion.

Fast Five in that same June spot probably wouldn't have done as well. Not with ASM, TDKR and the possibility of the runaway comedy of the year(every summer has one)

The last two F&F films were originally scheduled for mid-June 2009 and 2011, but Universal wisely bumped them up to early April 2009 and late April 2011. They made a killing without much competition in those spots.

Im sticking with my prediction of:

MIB 3 - $110 million

Avengers - $45- $50 million

Memorial day weekends are always big numbers and this year wont be any different.

Yeah, the reviews for MIB don't exactly suck, so it not getting panned should help out some for those that were on the fence.

That seems way to high for MIB3. Not that its not possible but interest doesn't seem to be strong enough for that.

That seems way to high for MIB3. Not that its not possible but interest doesn't seem to be strong enough for that.

I thought that too for a while now but its a 3 day holiday weekend and will smith still has star power. Plus I think enough buzz has died down to where the GA can be reminded the avengers isnt the only summer movie this year.

I'd probably say more like $70-75 million for the 4-day maybe as high as $80 million.

The title alone will turn people off of Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter just like the title of Cowboys and Aliens did.

I heard the title 'Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter' and that made me want to go see it. :woot: Even if the movie is ****** I have a feeling I'll like it. Cowboys and Aliens on the other hand, the title itself sounds cheesy. Then the trailer played in front of literally every movie I went to go see so that kind of turned me off even more.

Top 15 worldwide

1. Marvel's The Avengers $1200 million
2. The Hunger Games $637,1 million
3. The Intouchables $343,6 million
4. Titanic $342,1 million ($2185,2 million in total)
5. Journey 2: The Mysterious Island $324,9 million
6. Dr. Seuss' The Lorax $304,5 million
7. Wrath of the Titans $301 million
8. John Carter $272,8 million
9. Battleship $260,8 million
10. American Reunion $216 million
11. Safe House $202,5 million
12. The Vow $186,6 million
13. 21 Jump Street $184,8 million
14. Underworld Awakening $160,1 milliom
15. Mirror Mirror $159,6 million

Status