20th Century Fox is bidding for Time Warner

Wow, didn't know FOX was such a big entity that they could buy Time Warner. Insane if it happened. Those X-Men and DC crossovers on film would begin to make sense haha.

Fox's 80 billion bid could be hard to overcome by other bidders. Personally, I wish Disney would make a bid and win the purchase, so my dream of a Marvel vs DC movie would come true. :awesome:

Disney owning DC and Marvel.... that would just be weird.

I will be genuinely disheartened if this somehow transpires.

Fox's 80 billion bid could be hard to overcome by other bidders. Personally, I wish Disney would make a bid and win the purchase, so my dream of a Marvel vs DC movie would come true. :awesome:
i'd love if that happened. but they should keep them separate at first. Disney could set up a Marvel Studios type thing for DC

Even if Fox does buy Time-Warner, there will be no crossovers with the Marvel licenses, for the same reasons they already can't cross them over with other licenses: it would violate the intent of the renewal clause, and open Fox to lawsuits.

I think that Time Warner is a complex organisation consisting of many execs, it is difficult for anyone to convince a majority to sell the company when they are doing well financially on their own.

DA Champion opened a thread for the topic of Time Warner being bought a while ago.

I'm actually hoping this happens so Fox would leave their Marvel properties the hell alone. And hopefully Sony sells the Spider-Man rights back now. Imagine a world where it was Fox/DC vs Disney/Marvel?

I am glad that they rejected it. We dont need DC bad guys being turned into clouds

I'm terrified that if Disney got DC, they'd just sit on the properties and allow them to rot under their tushes for eternity. Even Batman wouldn't be enticing enough to do anything for... Disney already has enough good going with the Marvel side of things. Creating DC movies and content would mean an oversaturation of superhero related things and would only hurt things.

And to the people saying Disney you would really like to see a Batman Disney movie? God that would be terrible

WB is just as big as Disney or Fox but Fox and Disney have added advantage of having a billionaires who own the company thus giving them the necessary cash to buy company like WB.

WB would be in better position against such buyout attempts if some other cash rich company gets some stake in it, some one like Google or Microsoft.

They tried with AOL but they seperated sometime ago. If Warner would just take their damn time with DC it would realy help the company.

I'd really rather Rupert Murdock not own CNN.

An article in Investors Business Daily about the proposed Time Warner buyout stated Fox's intention to divest themselves of CNN if the transaction went through. Now whether there is a corporation out there with the desire to purchase CNN from Fox is another question. Kind of doubt that CNN could survive on its own if it was spun out as a separate company.

An article in Investors Business Daily about the proposed Time Warner buyout stated Fox's intention to divest themselves of CNN if the transaction went through. Now whether there is a corporation out there with the desire to purchase CNN from Fox is another question. Kind of doubt that CNN could survive on its own if it was spun out as a separate company.

CBS is purportedly interested in CNN. Seeing as how they don't have a noteworthy cable channel, that would work out for them.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/07/18/cbs-cnn-leslie-moonves-mergers/12830883/

I wonder if Fox would be allowed to keep their X-Men and Fantastic 4 rights if they bought Time Warner.

Surely there would be some contractual arrangement meaning they would have to relinquish the film rights to Marvel if they owned the rights to DC.

I wonder if Fox would be allowed to keep their X-Men and Fantastic 4 rights if they bought Time Warner.

Surely there would be some contractual arrangement meaning they would have to relinquish the film rights to Marvel if they owned the rights to DC.

Doubtful for a couple of different reasons. One being regulatory, since Disney would be insane to not raise the issue of Fox owning DC along with certain Marvel film rights and the conflict of interest that would raise (to be fair, they likely already are/have prepared to do so once the initial offer became public). Another being that with the rights to DC (including merchandising), they have far more incentive to push DC over Marvel, who would then be a much more direct competitor.

Fox could easily resolve this by offering to sell the rights back to Marvel & Disney as both a regulatory concession, as well as apply said proceeds from the sale toward the entire acquisition of Time Warner. Similar to what Murdoch has said about selling CNN. From a transactional perspective, it's win-win.

They would have to part ways with X-Men and the revenue those films have generated, but IMO they could easily replace that with revenue from Justice League films. Plus on top of that they could produce films based on other DC properties. A better deal for Fox. Now whether they would do any DC film property justice remains to be seen.

That said, don't expect to hear anything from that regard until they actually strike a deal with Time Warner, as until then Fox has to continue to meet its contractual obligations to Marvel, and operate as if nothing is going to happen.

A very interesting potential turn of events for the world of comic book films if you ask me.

Why would there be such a contractual agreement? They certainly have shown they're allowed to add their own characters to the films, as well as create other unrelated superhero films and comic book adaptations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"