Metroid: Enemies Within

Fans rightfully didn't give this a chance because most fans had the common sense to recognize that Nintendo was obviously going to do this. It's why I really have no sympathy for the filmmakers here because even though their dream project is getting crushed, going to Kickstarter was an absolutely stupid idea and most devoted Nintendo fans know that this is how Nintendo always acts. And again, $90,000 for a fan film is just outrageous and asking people for money for a fan film is an insult to the idea of Kickstarter.

See? This is what I was talking about.

Oh and the definition of Kickstarter can be defined as "a place where dream projects get funded."

Nintendo saw a violation of property instead of seeing this as it truly was: a love-letter/film to fans about one of the greatest game series of all time. A series that everyone at Massive State truly cherished. And all they wanted to do was take the series to an unexplored medium.
I'm sure that's how most would it see but Nintendo isn't looking at it emotionally as a labor of love. They're thinking of the legal and financial consequences it could have on them.

People have become rigid in their thinking that the moment something like this happens they oppose it. "It won't work!", "It'll get shut down!", "It'll stink! they'll cry instead of saying "I wonder if this could work?"
It being a Nintendo IP, I think people were very skeptical it wouldn't be shutdown by Nintendo. And there's just general skepticism of ambitious fan/indy films in general.

Obviously not everyone objected and I praise everyone who dedicated to this project. I'm just wondering what kind of message this will send out to everyone, cause to me this says "You can dream, you can have big ideas, just don't share it with anyone".

And that's sad.
There's nothing wrong with big dreams, but you need to know how to achieve them in a realistic way. It's very difficult to bring a new idea from the outside to a company, they don't want them because of potential legal issues.

Hippie's post was very blunt, probably more than necessary, but I think his points were right. People would be skeptical because it's a Nintendo IP and they have a reputation of nipping fan projects in the bud, regardless of how talented the creators are and how well they present their project.

With Kickstarter, I'm not referring to their project specifically (I honestly didn't see their page before it was taken down), but I've soured on it from when it first started. Originally, it was more that people had projects and just needed some extra funding and looked to people who were interested. I think projects like OUYA, Pebble Watch, and Double-Fine game have ruined it. Those projects made millions and people expect that they can fund theirs entirely from Kickstarter, which I think is very dangerous. Then they add stretch-goals, a carrot on a string, to get more. It's become a concern that Kickstarter had to release a statement on it recently.

Kickstarter should just help projects get some additional funding to complete their project, it shouldn't be the majority of their budget. When it is, it becomes some sort of scheme. The backers are investors but there is little to no accountability on the creator's part to deliver the product on time, if at all, or refund them. Again, this is just my opinion of the trend Kickstarter seems to be going, not a statement on this specific project.

Last edited:
Again I understand your points Spidey-Bat, and I'm glad you explain them instead of just posting your thoughts and leaving.

And you're right, Kickstarter has been abused. I think of the Veronica Mars project and how it got funded then IGN did an article about Kickstarter and how it's getting taken advantage of.

But (and I know this'll sound fanboyish) I don't that was the case here. Yes they were asking for a lot but it was all explained. Essentially the project (Kickstarter) was for the building of the set for the movie. It was to be a massive set that could come apart on a dime to let the cameramen get better shots of the action. The rest was for VFX and some other minor details. And there was no stretch goals on this. I asked about that and Christian said "Let's just get the $90,000" he didn't even dare to think of what would happen if he went beyond his goal. he just wanted to make a movie.

Look we can go at this all day. I really don't want to cause I'm sad about this and how my friends didn't get to do their project.

I'll probably post again soon though because I received an email from Christian saying they're going to release an official statement about the present and future of Enemies Within.

The letter from Nintendo to Kickstarter on the project is online.

http://www.kickstarter.com/dmca/metroid-enemies-within-a-metroid-fan-film-submitted-by-miller-na

Found it on Kotaku's article about it just now. I also went back and read their original article on the project, it was unnecessarily indignant. It lost when my the author wrote, "Pardon me, who are you to decide what Metroid deserves?" I don't think it's inappropriate for a fan to say a franchise deserves to have a movie. Metroid is one of Nintendo's best franchises, it has a mature appeal, a female lead, and a cohesive narrative unlike Zelda's multiple timelines or Mario which basically resets the story every game.

Thanks for the link, haven't heard from Christian yet, will post when it's up.

oh and we hated the Kotaku article also. One of our editor literally blew up when he saw that article. Totally hateful, no respect to anyone on the project. Not cool.

See? This is what I was talking about.

Oh and the definition of Kickstarter can be defined as "a place where dream projects get funded."

Kickstarter is meant for legitimate projects that can't get funding anywhere else like the Veronica Mars movie. It's not meant for fan films. There have been lots of fan films made where the makers of it didn't go off and beg for other people's money. If a fan is so passionate about making a fan film to show how much they are devoted and love the material they are adapting, they should put their own money into it.

The letter from Nintendo to Kickstarter on the project is online.

http://www.kickstarter.com/dmca/metroid-enemies-within-a-metroid-fan-film-submitted-by-miller-na

Found it on Kotaku's article about it just now. I also went back and read their original article on the project, it was unnecessarily indignant. It lost when my the author wrote, "Pardon me, who are you to decide what Metroid deserves?" I don't think it's inappropriate for a fan to say a franchise deserves to have a movie. Metroid is one of Nintendo's best franchises, it has a mature appeal, a female lead, and a cohesive narrative unlike Zelda's multiple timelines or Mario which basically resets the story every game.
I don't think that the Kotaku article was indignant. It is more along the lines of how I felt of the project, you have people with Hollywood connections and yet they acted incredibly amateurish in thinking that Nintendo was going to let them do this. It was a flat out blatant "Well duh" moment.

Ok, we get it, you didn't like this project. Enough. It's done.

That's right I didn't like the project. While the ideas within it sounded cool, I just find it insulting that people would actually ask for $90,000 to fund a fan film which are supposed to be amateurish by nature. And you have film makers like Kevin Smith and Oren Peli make real films with less than a third of what these guys were asking and they didn't go off begging fans for money. They worked hard to raise the funds they needed and were rewarded with massive success.

And considering that they work in Hollywood, one would have thought that they would have had the common sense to recognize that they were asking for the impossible.

Seriously, enough. You stated your opinions, now stop cause it's clear you're not listening to anyone but yourself.

Multiple times I have explained why this project wasn't ridiculous, was completely plausible, wasn't asking for too much, how the money was going to be used and you don't acknowledge that and still bash them. Enough.

The only one without common sense here is you. Cause you're seeing things from your perspective and not theirs. You're citing two directors (one of which actually wanted this to succeed by the way) who make small budget films and say "why can't they do it like them?" and I've explained why.

You're beating a dead horse. It's done. Now stop.

I don't think I've ever seen someone so passionate about...a fan film before. I don't mean that as offense, but man, I don't think I could ever muster up that much care for anything like that.

Nintendo is very adamant about shutting down IP theft. It's just as simple as that.

They make a good film they can't make money off it and they hate that.
They make a bad film and it damages Nintendo's reputation because they allowed it.

No win situation for them and they are all business.

Tron Bonne: I thank you for your words. One of my few good qualities (in my opinion) is my passion. When I'm passionate about something I'll go the distance until it works or until I hit a wall.

When I talked to Christian and Kent I heard their passion for this, their eagerness to do this, their drive to make it happened. And it inspired me, plain and simple. And even though this failed I thank them for that.

I was very passionate about Metroid: Enemies Within, I am very sad to see it go because of this. But I forget it or Kent and Christian.

If nintendo was genuinely being active with this franchise then Id be more on their side. They dont care about metroid or their fans that much, they simply are legally protecting their IP. They just suck.

If nintendo was genuinely being active with this franchise then Id be more on their side. They dont care about metroid or their fans that much, they simply are legally protecting their IP. They just suck.
Nintendo doesn't care about Metroid? They released 2 Metroid games on the GC, 2 on the Wii as well as the Prime trilogy, there was a Metroid attraction in Nintendo Land, Samus was one of the first characters revealed in Smash. What more do you want? We're obviously going to get a game on Wii U. Metroid isn't one of Nintendo's more versatile franchises. Nintendo is being as active with Metroid as they need to be.

Got a response from Massive State, thought this would be a good way to end this topic:

"To those of you who have supported and are following the progress of Metroid: Enemies Within we regret to inform you that we will be cancelling our Kickstarter campaign due to the recent DMCA that we received from Nintendo of America. While we had hoped to follow in the footsteps of other fan films that were successfully launched through crowdfunding platforms, we respect Nintendo’s decision.

Many of you share our dream of seeing a Metroid film come to life, and backed the campaign by sharing and donating. For all of your support we want to say a huge THANK YOU! If you donated, please be assured that any pledges you made will not be processed, and will be retained by you the donor per Kickstarter policy.

A lot of passion and hard work went into creating our campaign, so naturally we’re disappointed to have to end it here. That said, we do see a silver lining. We’ve loved and appreciated the interactions with other like minded fans that this experience has afforded us. Your enthusiastic feedback has been both encouraging and informative.

We are excited to focus our time and energy on the original content we have been developing. We hope to continue a relationship with all of you, and to create content that you will find interesting and entertaining.

In closing, we want to say thanks again for taking this journey with us!

Massive State and Moxie Lady Productions"

Well, I would say it's obvious we'll get one for the Wii U. Metroid did skip the N64 after all. I think it's possible, but Nintendo doesn't have a problem shelving some of their series when ideas don't exist for them.

Metroid-games have never been the big sellers like Mario for example. If they were there would definitely be more Metroid-games. And to say Nintendo suck because they're protective of their franchises is just dumb. I'm sure Sony, Microsoft, or any company would do the same thing if someone is stupid enough to try to fund a movie based on their properties on Kickstarter

Well, I would say it's obvious we'll get one for the Wii U. Metroid did skip the N64 after all. I think it's possible, but Nintendo doesn't have a problem shelving some of their series when ideas don't exist for them.
I'm looking at your avatar, and I'm trying to figure out how they were able to make a pixelated character jiggle.

Such was the awesome power of the Gameboy Color

Nintendo doesn't care about Metroid? They released 2 Metroid games on the GC, 2 on the Wii as well as the Prime trilogy, there was a Metroid attraction in Nintendo Land, Samus was one of the first characters revealed in Smash. What more do you want? We're obviously going to get a game on Wii U. Metroid isn't one of Nintendo's more versatile franchises. Nintendo is being as active with Metroid as they need to be.

Of course it isnt, how could it be when nintendos strategy is to make games that look like they are exclusively for japanese toddlers? Theres a reason why third party support has deserted nitendo. their image, strategy and diminishing fan base are not going to move any significant number of titles that would warrant the effort of a port for a core game.

We have had four metroid console games since 1996, and no online multiplayer to something that would have developed a cult following. im not buying nintendos effort here like you are. Just because youve done anything doesnt mean youve actually done the best you can. Where is the marketing, online multiplayer, multiple games, expansion packs, evolving mythology, merchandise, animation, etc. They will never try to make it what it could be because they want cute, not exploding alien heads.

At the very least with the prime games this title should have a massive online playing community today. They chose to go ahead with donkey kong country because thats a popular kiddie title that falls along the image that they are known for and that makes them money. Ive only bought nintendo consoles for the metroid prime trilogy but I know my friends are not going to drop that kind of money just for a single title that frankly they do not even know is out.

Nintendo keeps metroid going here and there for the pocket cash simply because they have the IP at their disposal, not because of any versatility garbage. You have an IP with cool characters, a mythology and a fanbase despite your efforts to cater to an entirely different crowd. Hell kirby got the 25th aniversary treatment, while samus got ignored. Maybe when nintendo is so desperate to change their strategy and get back into the world of core gamers well see samus getting a good push.

Of course it isnt, how could it be when nintendos strategy is to make games that look like they are exclusively for japanese toddlers?

9617308011_62247d7198_o.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"