6 years later...

DACrowe

Avenger
Reaction score
I recently watched the SM trilogy a couple of weeks ago and saw part of SM1 on TNT yesterday again. And I was thinking that in retrospect that this may be a near perfect adaptation of the Spidey comics.

Now hear me out. I still think Spider-Man 2 is a much better movie in terms of pure cinema and has better action. And because of that and the obvious newness that wore off the first Spidey, most of us overlooked SM1 as just its problems (the GG suit, the cheesiness of people saving Peter's life, no ariel, battle, etc.). But considering the budget and technological problems, watching this movie with fresh eyes made me appreciate it much more. It's all here besides mechanical web-shooters. Spidey's origin is perfectly executed. Him learning to climb, beating up Flash, getting confidence in the wrestling ring, Uncle Ben's more logical murder, etc. Dafoe pretty much plays Stan Lee's GG to perfection. Peter has a strong supporting cast, JJJ tries to protect Peter but Spidey webs his mouth shut when he starts yammering on again. The city is unsure about Spidey and dislikes him. MJ is more outgoing and friendly, with her own confidence. Even the wisecracks are here. Mind you 2/3 of them are not well written or poorly delivered, but I think if you played the video games you know Maguire got better at them and it was a bad decision to mute Spidey for the most part in SM2 (in SM3 it is almost always "so serious," there is no time for jokes). I mean it is all here.

Since we got that awesome action in the sequels and a Goblin ariel battle, etc. Looking back the flaws melt away and you can watch it as a whole with some perspective and remember why it was considered so faithful and loved by the fans originally. Raimi had not made Parker overly-awkward like in SM2, MJ overly-sad like in both sequels, etc. He just pretty much played it like a comic book in the 1960s and all the elements people whine need to be in the movies are here. The only thing I really think they missed the boat on is that if they had used Gwen her death at the hands of GG would have been epic. But they wouldn't have been able to do that great uplifting ending in SM2, then. But even the ending in SM1 between him and Harry and him and MJ (despite MJ"s cheesy dialogue) with him walking away...it is so perfectly Spider-Man.

I just am saying that after six years, maybe it would do well to go back and just take away all previous notions on this movie and try to watch it with fresh eyes. It was probably the first time I've really watched this movie since 2005. And you'll find something very special. SM2 may be the best movie of the three, but this is such a good adaptation and with all the hate for SM3 (warranted or not) and praise for SM2, most fans, including myself, seemed to forget why this movie worked so well.

I like each movie for what it offers. SM1 is the first one, and obviously you've got to like it for that. It's the origin story, plus it has cool action sequences, and a good plot. Plus, I'm starting to get nostalgia watching it, because it was one of the movies that still had a bit of flavor from the 90's style of films, but also had something new.

SM2 is excellent, because it maintained the realism that the first one brought us. It has dynamic character development, and awesome action. It's easily the strongest of the Trilogy, but I still can't decide which one I favor, SM1, or SM2.

With that, SM3 is easily the weakest, but not that weak. Though it had a lot of overkill with the character development (and not to mention, villains -i.e. Venom should've been saved for SM4-) I liked the way it went towards the direction of a more comic booky flavor. It had some realism, but when you have characters like Sandman and Venom that are very unrealistic (as far as the real world is concerned) it definitly is a lot different. Aside from cramming in a lot, and some cheesy elements (reporters, American flag run-by -no offense, it was cheesy-, etc.) the movie was a lot of fun.

These are great superhero movies, and I will enjoy them for years to come. :)

I always gave Spider-Man 1 it's credit. Especially after seeing Spider-Man 3, it really makes you appreciate how well the previous two movies worked.

Spidey 1 had a solid origin story, Dafoe was great as Norman, and MJ was actually pretty.

This whole trilogy truly is amazing and if you ask me, it's defenitely the greatest Superhero franchise of all time. :up:

SM1 is my favorite out of all of them. Most ppl would say SM2, but to me, SM1 is the best Spider-Man movie.

SM1 is easily the worst of the trilogy.

Maguire and Franco are both completely wooden in their performances, the action is pitiful, and the plot lacks focus. The movie relies more on the novelty of seeing Spider-Man on the big screen than anything else, which, two movies later, isn't much of a point of interest anymore.

I'd say Franco may have been a little wooden in SM1, but he did all right. But Maguire was great. He brought humanity and reality to a superhero, which the mainstream was very surprised by. He breathed life into this franchise and the entire first movie really was hinged on his performance. I've never seen Maguire give a wooden performance, but I will say he was def. coasting in quite a few scenes in SM3 and was not exerting as much effort as he did in the first two. Compare him losing his best friend in Ride with the Devil or realizing he lost his horse in Seabiscuit to his "sad scenes" in SM3.

I can't argue the other points of quality other than SM1's plot was a little too stuidio-friendly and formulaic, but it was extremely tight. Every scene worked and contributed to the overall narrative to a nice pace that fully developed all major players, which was very surprising for a summer action flick in 2002. SM3 was all over the place and was so stuffed the narrative was unfocused as it meandered through all the subplots at a breakneck speed. I like SM3, but it is obviously the weak link.

I will give you SM1 has the worst action of the three (yet the most satisfying final showdown between the hero and villain. Ironic?) but I recommend looking beyond that. And at the end of the day I'm not saying SM1 is the best. I personally think SM2 is a much better movie. But I'm saying SM1 in retrospect is an amazing adaptation of the comic that gets so much right that we forget because it is absent in the sequels that it was there and can be reattained in hopefully an even better movie.

I dislike first one because of Goblin and MJ. Mostly because of Goblin. Why was Norman Osborn turned into ridiculous cartoon character!?!

I also prefer original Smiles-To-Hide-The-Pain Mary Jane over Raimi's Sweet-Girl-Next-Door Mary Jane.

I dislike first one because of Goblin and MJ. Mostly because of Goblin. Why was Norman Osborn turned into ridiculous cartoon character!?!

I also prefer original Smiles-To-Hide-The-Pain Mary Jane over Raimi's Sweet-Girl-Next-Door Mary Jane.
Last I checked, Norman turned into the exact same thing in the comics. Also, I do agree that there should have been a moment where MJ hides her sad, broken self.

Spider-man was an awful adaptation of the comic book. Read the comic book to actually find out why.

I enjoy all of the movies, all for different reasons. My favorite is still number 2, however, but this is about the first one so..

I watched the first one again on or around thanksgiving, and I hadn't seen it since the theater days. I watched it twice in the theater, and the first time I was blown away, the second time though, I remember being bored to tears, so I really wasn't too sure of it's re-watchability. Upon watching it again last year, I was surprised to discover that I really did enjoy it all over again, and actually, I think I enjoyed more than I had before.
While it's not a DIRECT adaptation (come on, it's a movie) it really is pretty on the mark with everything, especially if you relate more to the Ultimate spiderman, I think.
The only cons I see in the movie are the ones that are always mentioned, and that's the GG suit, and the fact that his webbing is a power, instead of a creation of his.
However, I did like the fact that they still tried to enable situations where his webbing didn't work in SM2.
The only other thing I don't like about the movie is Kirsten Dunst.

Spider-man was an awful adaptation of the comic book. Read the comic book to actually find out why.
It's ironic you should say that, but ever since I got ASM the Complete Collection, I've been reading through the ocmics and realizing how unaccurate the films were (with most things). I think the films were still good adaptations, because they were different, but not too different. However, I wondered what it would've been like if it were closer to the comics, so I actually started writing my own script yesterday. :)

I love the first spiderman film. I think this is the only film where kirsten dunst actually plays MJ, and where it seems like peter is having some fun. I love all three but the first one is the best to me. Honestly, the Goblin costume doesn't bother me too much. Mostly just the mask. I think Defoe does such a great job, that it kind of makes me forget about the ridiculous costume. Spider-man 1 is my favorite comic book movie.

One thing I can't get enough of in SM1 is the final confrontation between Spidey and Goblin. I just love the basic fist fight element to it.

One thing I can't get enough of in SM1 is the final confrontation between Spidey and Goblin. I just love the basic fist fight element to it.
Agreed, and I love how they took the scene from ASM Issue #122 where the Green Goblin gets impaled by his glider. Also, I absoloutely loved the punches and kicks the goblin and Spidey were giving eachother. The Goblin's punches sounded like they hurt so bad.

Agreed, and I love how they took the scene from ASM Issue #122 where the Green Goblin gets impaled by his glider. Also, I absoloutely loved the punches and kicks the goblin and Spidey were giving eachother. The Goblin's punches sounded like they hurt so bad.

willem actually punched Tobey for real during that fight.
so I bet it did hurt :woot:

Minus the goblin having no motivation for a certain period of time in the film, this was a great movie and did justice to Spider-Man's origin :spidey:

Honestly,I know this is a great film because I can remember that after the first time I saw it I couldn't WAIT for a sequel and find out what happens with everyone. No film has had that affect on me before. You really identified with Peter and all the actors did a great job.

I still think the film stands out in the genre as one of the best. Like many others, I think SM2 managed to top it's forerunner but that doesn't change the 1st movie's brilliance.
I have only two minor criticisms of it. The first is the Goblin's costume. I didn't mind the mask like some fans did but I wasn't a fan of the simplistic, one-tone. At least they could have come up with a more Goblinesque color scheme. Also, in retrospect, I wish Gwen Stacy would have been in this movie instead of #3. She just would have fit better in the beginning.

Here comes the:

-organic webbing
-"Power Ranger" Goblin
-MJ not being like she is in the comics (this one I agree with, actually)
-Not enough quips (there were actually quite a few quips in this one. Just not very well written).

bah. If you can come up with something better than those let me know. Some fans just aren't ever satisfied. Do me a favor and go back and read the original Lee/Ditko comics all the way through ASM #40 and early Romita, as that is obviously what this movie was pulling from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"