6 years later...

Spider-Man 1 is a fantastic movie...it is, after all, what got me seriously interested in comics. I owe it a lot.

Sure, it has some things we could quibble over if we wanted to be picky, but this movie had a lot of stuff going for it.

And as for GG not having motivation for part of the movie, I say to you: What on earth are you talking about? When he wasn't making Peter's life a living hell, he was taking revenge on Oscorp for giving him the boot. And if neither of those options are good enough for you, remember, he's the Green Goblin. He's insane. Sometimes...sometimes he just doesn't need a reason to do something murderous. It's his shtick.

Spider-Man 1 is a fantastic movie...it is, after all, what got me seriously interested in comics. I owe it a lot.

Sure, it has some things we could quibble over if we wanted to be picky, but this movie had a lot of stuff going for it.

And as for GG not having motivation for part of the movie, I say to you: What on earth are you talking about? When he wasn't making Peter's life a living hell, he was taking revenge on Oscorp for giving him the boot. And if neither of those options are good enough for you, remember, he's the Green Goblin. He's insane. Sometimes...sometimes he just doesn't need a reason to do something murderous. It's his shtick.

He kills the board members at Oscorp, and before he seeks vengeance on Spider-Man for rejecting him, he says he wants power. What does that mean? He already has Oscorp again, so what kind of power? He has no real motivation and just acts evil during this short span. Yes, he is the GG, and the GG is crazy. However, this lack of an overall goal for that period is a minor complaint I have of him in the movie.

I loved the entire trilogy, at varying levels. And I appreciate everything each installment brought to the table.

The first Spidey movie is still a solid 8/10 IMO, just like I thought back in 2002.

After multiple viewings, it's kind of hard to sit through certain parts like Pete's hospital speech to MJ, and the multiple continuity editing screw-ups are really annoying. But even so, still an enjoyable watch to this day.

These spider-man movies are really quite off the mark from the comicbooks and it's just a matter of time when the fans and industry realize this. The movies basically reduced the spider-man story into a marketable formula that regurgitated elements from past comic films and used every trend in teenage drama shows and only then threw in some comic refrences to appease nerds and trick them into thinking they were'nt being ignored in favor of a homogonized mainstream product. This is not what kept me interested in the comic for many years. The only film that holds up to repeat veiwings is the 1st one. These were the equivalant of the first Batman movies and there will be an inevitable reboot that will attempt to truely capture the comics appeal. I hope

I was wondering when you'd show up to spread your venom again.

it's just sad that the best cgi special effects sequence came from the ending sequence of the first film which beats pretty much all the other swing sequences in the later films... it just looks so flippin brilliant

they should've had each and every shot like that in the other two to look as smooth and amazing as that end swinging sequence yet no, same inconsistent sometimes great sometimes ******** special effects

1 and 2 were great films... 3 was just lousy as all hell...

Spiderman 1 is one of the best origin films. I really don't care what they say, Spiderman 1 is what really got Comic films popular. Dafoe is the best villain from a Marvel film and the final battle is so sick.

Here comes the:

-organic webbing
-"Power Ranger" Goblin
-MJ not being like she is in the comics (this one I agree with, actually)
-Not enough quips (there were actually quite a few quips in this one. Just not very well written).

bah. If you can come up with something better than those let me know. Some fans just aren't ever satisfied. Do me a favor and go back and read the original Lee/Ditko comics all the way through ASM #40 and early Romita, as that is obviously what this movie was pulling from.

Peter's girl should have been Gwen in the first with MJ as a friend, and the Goblin should have killed Gwen on the Bridge. MJ should have approached Peter and Peter in his anger tell MJ to leave but at last second she decides to stay.

Or they could have NOT been shackled by what was written 30 years ago in the comics. Peter already suffered one loss in the movie. And the point of that was for him to learn what happens if he doesn't use his powers to help others. If in the selfsame movie he tried to save the woman he loved & failed, what was the point of the first lesson?

After 6 years, I'm still blown away by the first Spider-Man. Seeing it in the theaters was very exciting.

I went twice opening day, then again a few days later. I found myself leaving early so I could get to the theater on my way to work. I overloaded. And then when it hit video, I still watched it twice in a row.

Here comes the:

-organic webbing
-"Power Ranger" Goblin
-MJ not being like she is in the comics (this one I agree with, actually)
-Not enough quips (there were actually quite a few quips in this one. Just not very well written).

bah. If you can come up with something better than those let me know. Some fans just aren't ever satisfied. Do me a favor and go back and read the original Lee/Ditko comics all the way through ASM #40 and early Romita, as that is obviously what this movie was pulling from.

not that i ever ever ever want to talk about the subject of organics ever ever ever again :cmad:, but all in all the movie was very good and on point in enough areas that even the worthwhile nitpicks over it were just that, nitpicks.

6 years later ... I am still in love with this movie. I remember being in absolute awe when I saw this in theaters. Even though Spider-Man 2 is my favorite of the trilogy, I think that the first Spider-Man movie gave me a better theater experience. I was NOT expecting the first Spider-Man movie to be good at all, so after seeing it for the first time, I was just plain stunned at how much I loved the movie. I felt like I had just watched something really, really special.

Ah, memories ... :)

Despite it's flaws which are mainly becoming apparent because of age...

I still think this is a fantastic movie that I can get immense enjoyment out of.

Still a 7/10 for me!

I skipped school the day I saw it! And I didn't even go to a daytime showing.

Oh the memories of me calling of school for no reason (and still getting straight A's) :woot:

These spider-man movies are really quite off the mark from the comicbooks and it's just a matter of time when the fans and industry realize this. The movies basically reduced the spider-man story into a marketable formula that regurgitated elements from past comic films and used every trend in teenage drama shows and only then threw in some comic refrences to appease nerds and trick them into thinking they were'nt being ignored in favor of a homogonized mainstream product. This is not what kept me interested in the comic for many years. The only film that holds up to repeat veiwings is the 1st one. These were the equivalant of the first Batman movies and there will be an inevitable reboot that will attempt to truely capture the comics appeal. I hope

It's been a long time.

That's all. Yeah.

Peter's girl should have been Gwen in the first with MJ as a friend, and the Goblin should have killed Gwen on the Bridge. MJ should have approached Peter and Peter in his anger tell MJ to leave but at last second she decides to stay.

Could've worked. But that doesn't make the movie bad. Some fans seem to not realize just because THEIR imagined movie wasn't used that it doesn't mean the made movie is bad, though.

Could've worked. But that doesn't make the movie bad. Some fans seem to not realize just because THEIR imagined movie wasn't used that it doesn't mean the made movie is bad, though.
I've argued this point for years. So much fan-bashing takes place on these boards for that reason alone. It's like, they've waited so long for these movies to get made, they've already seen it 1,000 times in their heads & automatically reject anything that in any way deviates from their pre-conceived vision.

I skipped school the day I saw it! And I didn't even go to a daytime showing.
That's bad. I took off work, but it was a vacation day. But my journey had been so long that one more day of waiting was just unacceptable to me;
When "Superman" first opened, I was 6 years old. I came out of the theater thinking, "That was great. I wonder when they're gonna make a 'Spider-Man' movie."
When "Batman" opened, I was 17. And I came out of the theater thinking, "That was great. I wonder when they're gonna make a 'Spider-Man' movie?"
The next 9 years were filled with agony. False starts, broken deals & lenghty court battles kept my favorite hero from reaching the screen while lesser-known characters made their way to the box-office & Batman's franchise crashed & burned. Marvel seemed doomed to never know the glory of Hollywood.
Then finally, a ray of hope. "Blade" was delivered to us. And it was, in my opinion, the best comic book movie to come along in many years. I came out of that one thinking, "If they can do that with a second-stringer like Blade, certainly Spidey can be done!"
The next thing I know, "X-Men" is underway. I was pinning all of my hopes on this one. It had been a while since a mainstream comic hero had come to the screen , & the last one that had any real success didn't have any superpowers. This was going to be Marvel's ticket to credibility. And it didn't disappoint.
(Come to think of it, I took off work for this one, too. They got used to it after a while.)
So when I finally hear that SPider-Man has been greenlit, I was cautiously optimistic. I don't think I let myself believe it was going to happen until production was well underway. And I followed every bit of it. Every press clipping, every TV spot, every promotion. I just couldn't believe my wait was finally over.
And then I had to wait for a sequel.
Twice.

Spider-Man totally fulfilled all my dreams of seeing Spidey on screen (being 11 at the time...i was blown away) still love the movie...

Still love this movie as much as I did back then. IMO, it comes VERY close to SM2's quality.

This film airs on cable everyday and everyday I have absolutely no wish to watch it. It's quite amazing how efficient Raimi was in turning two wonderfully charming characters like Peter and MJ and converted them into the dullest characters in film. Everything is so bland and genetic from the dialogue all the way down to the music cues it's almost sickening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"