88th Annual Academy Awards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really care about the Oscars, but Concussion was not a very good movie, and Smith's performance wasn't that good either.

There have been PLENTY of people that have argued why people like Ryan Coogler, Michael B. Jordan, Idris Elba, Mya Taylor or projects like Creed, Tangerine or Beasts of No Nation should be nominated. They're out there, I've read a ton of them.
And the problem is no one suggest who they should be ahead of in terms of nominations. You don't just add stuff, you have to consider it better then what was actually nominated. There being eligible black candidates does not suddenly make them better then what was actually nominated. And other then saying they loved these performances, you rarely see anyone mention who should be dropped and why. Most of the time, people here haven't even seen the other stuff that was nominated.

The Creed situation is particularly crazy, considering it only seems to be getting play because of race. Very good film, but the idea of nominating it for best picture is way out there. Is super simple, treading a road much traveled. Nothing new here.

Beast of No Nation, I haven't seen though I could see the inherit problem with it being nominated. Namely annoyance over Netflix, which is unfair, but has nothing do with race.

So what this boils down to is waiting films and actors nominated based on race. That can't have what the voters consider the 7th best performance, but then get bumped up because of their race. That is what is being asked for here. To deny that denies what the argument is.

I don't really care about the Oscars, but Concussion was not a very good movie, and Smith's performance wasn't that good either.
Smith's horrible attempt at an accent being nominated would be laughable. Which is why Jada and Will being offended is hilarious.

Quality of accent isn't necessarily quality of overall performance.

But Jada comes off as having a major case of sour grapes.

And Spike Lee is racist himself, so who cares what he thinks?

Quality of accent isn't necessarily quality of overall performance.

But Jada comes off as having a major case of sour grapes.

And Spike Lee is racist himself, so who cares what he thinks?
I think if you are going to put on an accent, it is really important as it effects the overall performance. Smith came off laughable in the movie imo. I didn't take him seriously from the word go.

I like that they're taking steps but yeah if the industry doesn't catch up and create more opportunities for the minorities and women, the new membership rules could actually end up hurting the female and minority members. If they can't find work in film within 10 years, then they're cut.

The upside for this though is it will (hopefully) flush out the older, out of touch members.

All this is doing is creating a diverse Academy to vote for movies. Which is fine but it's all based on subjectivity. It's missing a much bigger issue. Changing all this isn't gonna give minorities more jobs to create more movies for people to vote for. This same diverse Academy is still going to be nominating the same type of movies we've seen in a system that's to blame. What the hell are they expecting here? Nothing will change. Again, this is a constant that's outside the whole equation. It's just an illusion of change.

And you expect the Oscars to change that how?

That's the point. It won't.

I find it curious that this is being framed as a black-white issue. Aren't Hispanics the largest minority now?

I'd certainly have nominated Creed over 4 of the movies that did get nominated and Coogler over 2 of the directors that did, I haven't seen Straight Outta Compton yet.

Also all have English accents in The Pianist set in Poland, or in Valkyrie, set in Germany, or in every Roman Empire movie ever made.
I prefer the actors be free to act, over anything else. Why I never had a problem with something like Kingdom of Heaven, where everyone seems to be using their natural accent.

And the problem is no one suggest who they should be ahead of in terms of nominations. You don't just add stuff, you have to consider it better then what was actually nominated. There being eligible black candidates does not suddenly make them better then what was actually nominated. And other then saying they loved these performances, you rarely see anyone mention who should be dropped and why. Most of the time, people here haven't even seen the other stuff that was nominated.

The Creed situation is particularly crazy, considering it only seems to be getting play because of race. Very good film, but the idea of nominating it for best picture is way out there. Is super simple, treading a road much traveled. Nothing new here.

Beast of No Nation, I haven't seen though I could see the inherit problem with it being nominated. Namely annoyance over Netflix, which is unfair, but has nothing do with race.

So what this boils down to is waiting films and actors nominated based on race. That can't have what the voters consider the 7th best performance, but then get bumped up because of their race. That is what is being asked for here. To deny that denies what the argument is.

Well if I'm being honest, I didn't particularly think Matt Damon or Eddie Redmayne's performance's were lead actor worthy and I very much enjoyed The Martian. I could do without The Danish Girl altogether. Jennifer Lawrence in Joy is a waste of a spot, I like JLaw but not for that movie. Alicia Vikander is a wasted nomination - she should have been up for Ex Machina.

I would replace Adam McKay with Coogler in a heartbeat.

The great irony is that the English used to sound more like modern-day Americans than modern-day Brits. Or at least not like modern-day Brits who speak the Queen's English.

Well if I'm being honest, I didn't particularly think Matt Damon or Eddie Redmayne's performance's were lead actor worthy and I very much enjoyed The Martian. I could do without The Danish Girl altogether. Jennifer Lawrence in Joy is a waste of a spot, I like JLaw but not for that movie. Alicia Vikander is a wasted nomination - she should have been up for Ex Machina.

I would replace Adam McKay with Coogler in a heartbeat.
This is fair. This I can understand, especially with The Danish Girl. Disagree with McKay and Coolger, but I can understand it. But what about this is set in stone? That these performances or on Coolger's case direction, was empirically better?

I am curious, why do you find this a problem?

I'm not trying to start a "Who has it worst" campaign because that leads to nothing, but I think it's a little perplexing that a white female would have the gall to say she has it harder in a society and industry that pretty much glorifies pretty white women.

I'm not trying to start a "Who has it worst" campaign because that leads to nothing, but I think it's a little perplexing that a white female would have the gall to say she has it harder in a society and industry that pretty much glorifies pretty white women.
You mean the women who make less then their male counterparts, and are tossed aside when they reach a certain age?

You mean the women who make less then their male counterparts, and are tossed aside when they reach a certain age?

Which is fair and true but now read her statement from the perspective of an African-American female in the industry. She's basically saying they have it easier when that couldn't be further from the truth. Has she missed everything going on now?

Had she just said women have it hard, there wouldn't have been any issue. Her adding on the "I'd rather be black cause they have it easier" implication is what hurts her statement.

Which is fair and true but now read her statement from the perspective of an African-American female in the industry. She's basically saying they have it easier when that couldn't be further from the truth. Has she missed everything going on now?

Had she just said women have it hard, there wouldn't have been any issue. Her adding on the "I'd rather be black cause they have it easier" implication is what hurts her statement.
Her point is that it is hardest for women. Race doesn't play a factor into her point. When she says she rather be African-American, her point seems to be that she would get less criticism because of it. Considering what Jada just got away with saying, I can see her point. How you talked about "white women" in your above post kind of proves her point.

Smith's horrible attempt at an accent being nominated would be laughable. Which is why Jada and Will being offended is hilarious.

not that I personally care about this issue but
1. You're good with discerning Nigerian accents? (I'm kinda from those parts). I ask cause I'd imagine you know them well, enough to find the failure funny.

2. Not everyone from America speaks with a 'good' american accent. Rather not everyone from new york, does new york 'well'.
And this goes for anyone from any country, technically speaking.

just saying.

not that I personally care about this issue but
1. You're good with discerning Nigerian accents? (I'm kinda from those parts). I ask cause I'd imagine you know them well, enough to find the failure funny.

2. Not everyone from America speaks with a 'good' american accent. Rather not everyone from new york, does new york 'well'.
And this goes for anyone from any country, technically speaking.

just saying.
I am big into sports, and this topic has been around for awhile. I listen or watch Outside the Lines everyday. I have seen and heard the good doctor speak multiple times. Was Smith trying to sound like someone else?

Maybe we should all just say show business really isn't all that important in the grand scheme of things and these statues are completely worthless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"