88th Annual Academy Awards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am big into sports, and this topic has been around for awhile. I listen or watch Outside the Lines everyday. I have seen and heard the good doctor speak multiple times. Was Smith trying to sound like someone else?

Depends, not all bio pic performances are imitations but rather..performances.
Rather they aren't graded on imitation, so that shouldn't be the first thing on the filmmakers mind, nor the second. I'm thinking of the sorkin ones now. Still, sometimes.

Still, I personally didn't find it laughable. Considering how many people are taking up for the film and performance, I'd imagine it wasn't some actual laughable failure.

I find it sad that we black folks have it ''good'' compared to other minorities. The asian community in Hollywood would love to be in our shoes. Now that is messed up to think about.

I read some stuff about Clooney hoping for a change and that is good, but if only he was a director and could do... OH. WAIT.

You gotta back up what you preach, mayne.

I find it sad that we black folks have it ''good'' compared to other minorities. The asian community in Hollywood would love to be in our shoes. Now that is messed up to think about.
It's beyond sad and into pitiful territory. Any other minority beyond blacks have had zero voice in the matter, and barely any attention amidst this suppose discussion over diversity. I'm getting a strong subtext of this being an exclusive black/white thing and the irony in that is deafening.

It's beyond sad and into pitiful territory. Any other minority beyond blacks have had zero voice in the matter, and barely any attention amidst this suppose discussion over diversity. I'm getting a strong subtext of this being an exclusive black/white thing and the irony in that is deafening.

Excellent post and i fully agree with what you are saying. This cry for diversity some comes off as black/white really. It does bother me when you have certain movies which rely on brand recognition alone to draw an audience not giving oppurtunities to other minorities other then black actors in main roles. Take star wars for example. The character off Finn couldve been played by a indian actor , latino actors, asian actors etc. Boyega is hardly a household name let alone someone who is even bankable.

Also all have English accents in The Pianist set in Poland, or in Valkyrie, set in Germany, or in every Roman Empire movie ever made.
In the eagle all the romans had American accents.
I prefer the actors be free to act, over anything else. Why I never had a problem with something like Kingdom of Heaven, where everyone seems to be using their natural accent.
Pretty sure ed Norton did a English accent in kingdom of heaven
I find it sad that we black folks have it ''good'' compared to other minorities. The asian community in Hollywood would love to be in our shoes .
Some Asian actresses like Gemma Chan have spoken out but many seem to keep quiet on the issue. Guys like Andy lau saw what roles Hollywood was offering Asian actors and just decided to keep making movies in Asia instead. Ultimately I think Asian actors will become more visible in Hollywood due to the wests desire to appeal to the Chinese audience. We are already seeing more Asian actors cast in big Hollywood films and just the other day a Chinese. Businessman brought legendary studios and said Hollywood needs to do more to appeal to Chinese audiences.

With the ever rising Latino audience it will be impossible for the film industry to ignore them within the coming years. People from indian subcontinent and middle eastern backgrounds are the ones who possibly face the biggest problems. Star wars rogue one actor riz Ahmed had said brown skinned actors mostly get offered terrorist roles and little else at the moment

Asians and laitnos, they make a lot of their own ****, finance it themselves, etc. Technically they don't need Hollywood, in that sense. But there are Asian and Latino movie fans that only watch Hollywood's stuff in the same breath, so it does skew pretty bad.

DIuuwx1.jpg

Asians and laitnos, they make a lot of their own ****, finance it themselves, etc. Technically they don't need Hollywood, in that sense. But there are Asian and Latino movie fans that only watch Hollywood's stuff in the same breath, so it does skew pretty bad.

And the Asian American actors, with the possible exception of a few like Lucy Liu are basically comedic actors like Mindy Kaling, Aziz Ansari, Jon Cho (except for when he plays Sulu), Kal Penn, the Korean Dude from Two Broke Girls, the cast of "Fresh Off the Boat" and Ken Jeong.

Many of the foreign Asian Actors are perceived as Martial Artists.

As for Latinos, they finance their own films and do films in their own countries as well. For every Hollywood film that Antonio Banderas, Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz, Gael Garcia Bernal and Diego Luna do, they do more in their native countries (Banderas, Bardem and Cruz in Spain and Luna and Bernal in Mexico). There are also thousands of Latino actors who choose to stay in their Native countries as well. Look at NARCOS star Wagner Moura. He's been acting in Brazil for 20 years before he appeared in his very first English language role in Elysium in 2013.

Thoughts on some of the categories:

Best Director:
I actually am coming around to the idea that Miller could win this; his main competition would seem to be Inarritu, but he won last year and back-to-back wins are incredibly rare -- only twice has it happened (John Ford, 1940-1941; and Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1949-1950).

Best Actor: Honestly, I can't see how any of these guys could beat Leo. Only Damon is representing a popular film overall, and neither he nor any of the others have any sort of narrative going for them.

Best Actress: Not that I think Rampling had much chance anyway, but boy did she self-destruct (unless it works as a covert appeal to voters who resent the implication that their nomination choices are wrong). This has been widely framed as Larson v. Ronan, and I think that's probably still true, with Larson starting to pull away. Room and Brooklyn have three of the same nominations (Picture, Actress, Adapted Screenplay), with the former also getting Director, which lends it the appearance of greater strength. I think Larson has the role advantage here; they're both tearjerker parts, but Room is a much more dramatic film.

Best Supporting Actor: Stallone seems like the favourite here, though I know some Oscarologists like Anne Thompson think that his HFPA flub hurt him significantly. If not him, I think it probably goes to Ruffalo -- well-liked actor in a well-liked film, and he's got the showiest part in the ensemble.

Best Supporting Actress: The biggest question mark still (as I posted a while ago). McAdams is the only nominee representing a BP nominee, and she has such a low-key part that I'm not sure it would be very high on the list of what Spotlight admirers would vote for. Mara is a co-lead in a film that missed BP, somewhat controversially; does Carol's support concentrate on her? Or does Vikander, another co-lead, win for having such a great year overall? And there's Winslet, who I guess would be the safe veteran choice; but she doesn't really feel like she has much career momentum for a second Oscar.

Original Screenplay: I think this is Spotlight's guaranteed win, even if it doesn't take Picture. It's the sort of film that, when people are trying to assess what about it they think is award-worthy, the writing will top the list, moreso than acting, directing, or any other aspect of the production. None of the other nominees seem like particularly strong contenders for a win (not a measure of quality, mind you).

Adapted Screenplay: Crammed with four Best Picture nominees and one near-miss that actually has more nominations than a few of the BP nominees, I don't quite know what to predict here. If you consider The Big Short one of the three notable BP contenders (along with Spotlight and The Revenant), then it's got this category to itself. If Room built more momentum I could see a case for Donoghue winning here, as the author adapting her own work for the screen.

I bet this year will have better ratings, at least for the first half hour. Everyone will want to hear what Chris Rock says about this whole thing.

PGA Awards are tonight. Pretty reliable indicator for Best Picture.

The best director wins have been pretty diverse as of late, just to highlight something positive. The past three years has seen two Latinos and an Asian director take it and in 2009 it was a woman.

This is not to discredit a legitimate problem, by the way.

Replacing the mostly old, white dudes in the academy with younger, more diverse members will have an effect on movies in general, not just the racially, ethnically charged ones. We may actually get a best picture list of daring, ambitious movies, not just Oscar bait and period pieces.

Replacing the mostly old, white dudes in the academy with younger, more diverse members will have an effect on movies in general, not just the racially, ethnically charged ones. We may actually get a best picture list of daring, ambitious movies, not just Oscar bait and period pieces.
The label "Oscar bait" gets applied to virtually any serious drama that attracts awards attention these days.

And I'd dispute that there haven't been plenty of daring, ambitious films nominated at the Oscars. Or, in any event, how much things would shift; compare the guilds, from whence new Academy members would tend to come. The differences in taste are not marked.

Yeah those things are like 5 hours. :funny:

I think whichever wins PGA is our BP winner. My prediction is it's either The Revenant or Spotlight.

That would be hilarious. Imagine Eddie Redmayne. Leonardo DiCaprio would throw himself in front of a taxi on the way there, and drag himself with broken legs onstage.

James Franco would stroll on stage with a guy he found on Grindr and they'd just start going to town on eachother while the entire audience looks on in stunned silence.

[YT]watch?v=w69qFJmnq-U[/YT]

Well said, Cube. The Oscar are not important.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"