91st Annual Academy Awards

Ben Stiller as Simple Jack in Tropic Thunder > Rami Malek lip syncing with his dentures

All The Stars will have the better performance at the Oscars... believe that.

Hot take: "Shallow" sounds like two drunk people trying to karaoke together. :eek:

MaleUnpleasantAlligator-size_restricted.gif

I like the first half of that song but then she just overdoes it at the end.

I like the first half of that song but then she just overdoes it at the end.

Well when I rewatched movie on Sunday I watched that scene 4 times and it's my favorite scene of 2018....so....I'll disagree here :funny:

Let's be clear, I really enjoyed A Star Is Born. But when Cooper and Gaga sing the chorus of "Shallow" together, it doesn't sound great. Their vocals and rhythms do not mesh at all. I suppose that makes some sense in the context of the movie since they are both singing the song together for the first time without having ever rehearsed, but still. Not pleasant to listen to on the radio.

Granted there was no Bradley Cooper but it didn't even sound good live.

Frankly I thought Gaga's song at the end of the movie was the best part of the film.

Let's be clear, I really enjoyed A Star Is Born. But when Cooper and Gaga sing the chorus of "Shallow" together, it doesn't sound great. Their vocals and rhythms do not mesh at all. I suppose that makes some sense in the context of the movie since they are both singing the song together for the first time without having ever rehearsed, but still. Not pleasant to listen to on the radio.

Eh, can't agree here either, I listen to the song a lot on its own

Granted there was no Bradley Cooper but it didn't even sound good live.

Bradley's intro is what makes the song for me. The video you posted is a horrible version. It really sounds better as a country-ish tune where you can hear the weight of the world in Bradley's voice.

"Shallow" and "Let the Old Ways Die." I'm actually surprised the latter didn't also get nominated. And here we thought going into this season the Academy liked Bradley after the bizarre nomination for American Sniper!

Shallow is the only Lady Gaga song I've ever liked. Talented singer but her songs don't do much for me.

So it sounds like they're going to show the four awards but they'll be taped to be broadcast later on in the show and the walks to the stage will be the only things removed.

So all this is just to save maybe a total of two minutes?

Why not just budget the time so you can show them live? Saving two minutes isn't going to make any big difference to the overall running time.

Wouldn't surprise me. Although, I'm not against the idea of movies being promoted in the ceremony. I think the video game awards last year did a great job of celebrating the games of the year and previewing games for 2019.

Always Remember Us This Way was the best song from ASIB, IMO.

Black Eyes was good. Good solid rock song.

Promoting upcoming blockbusters is the way to go to get viewers. There would be no money to make and market the prestige films without the blockbusters. They should be premiering trailers (or...like...imagine if WB hyped that the new Batman would be revealed at the Oscars...lots of geeks would watch just for that) or maybe they could do a pre-tape celebrating the new golden era of Horror or something...stuff that isnt going to get the major awards but the general audience wants to see.

Promoting upcoming blockbusters is the way to go to get viewers. There would be no money to make and market the prestige films without the blockbusters. They should be premiering trailers (or...like...imagine if WB hyped that the new Batman would be revealed at the Oscars...lots of geeks would watch just for that) or maybe they could do a pre-tape celebrating the new golden era of Horror or something...stuff that isnt going to get the major awards but the general audience wants to see.

Yep. I recommend people watch last years Video Game Awards. It was 4 hours long but it was entertaining because it celebrated and promoted games.

If they are only editing out the walk to the stage for the 4 awards, then why stop there? Why not edit out the walk to the stage for everyone? Or better yet just have them give their speech at their seat and bring the reward to the winner?

I seem to remember reading in an article (that I can no longer find) that the "spirit" of the acceptance speeches would be shown...so...that means they would be heavily edited to just show the best part.

Promoting upcoming movies is how Indian film awards have been so successful for over a decade. There are literally a dozen or more Indian film awards but they always make bank and sell big time because of huge musical dancing show pieces/numbers and showing new film trailers or exclusive first looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"