93rd Annual Academy Awards

BAFTA Film Awards Winners Announced – Updating Live – Deadline

BEST FILM
Nomadland; Mollye Asher, Dan Janvey, Frances McDormand, Peter Spears, Chloé Zhao

LEADING ACTRESS
Frances McDormand; Nomadland

LEADING ACTOR
Anthony Hopkins, The Father

DIRECTOR
Chloé Zhao; Nomadland

EE RISING STAR AWARD (voted for by the public)
Bukky Bakray

OUTSTANDING BRITISH FILM
Promising Young Woman; Emerald Fennell, Ben Browning, Ashley Fox, Josey McNamara

ORIGINAL SCORE
Soul; Jon Batiste, Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross

DOCUMENTARY
My Octopus Teacher; Pippa Ehrlich, James Reed, Craig Foster

OUTSTANDING DEBUT BY A BRITISH WRITER, DIRECTOR OR PRODUCER
His House; Remi Weekes (Writer/Director)

SUPPORTING ACTOR
Daniel Kaluuya; Judas And The Black Messiah

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Promising Young Woman; Emerald Fennell

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Yuh-Jung Youn; Minari

CINEMATOGRAPHY
Nomadland; Joshua James Richards

FILM NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
Another Round; Thomas Vinterberg, Sisse Graum Jørgensen

EDITING
Sound Of Metal; Mikkel E.G. Nielsen

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
The Father; Christopher Hampton, Florian Zeller

ANIMATED FILM
Soul; Pete Docter, Dana Murray

Of course the BAFTAs would go for Hopkins and not Boseman...

Of course the BAFTAs would go for Hopkins and not Boseman...

All respect to Chadwick Boseman (rest in peace), but I gotta side with BAFTA on this one. His performance is simply not comparable to what Anthony Hopkins does in The Father. On the merit of performance alone, Hopkins should have swept this entire season as far as I'm concerned. I'm glad he won at least one of the big precursor awards. It would have been criminal for him to go home entirely empty-handed for his performance. But I suspect Boseman still takes home the Oscar in two weeks.

Yea, if Boseman beats Hopkins for what might be one of Hopkins' career-best performances (which is saying something), it's gonna be hard not to feel like he's getting the Oscar because he died.

Yea, if Boseman beats Hopkins for what might be one of Hopkins' career-best performances (which is saying something), it's gonna be hard not to feel like he's getting the Oscar because he died.
But on the flip side, all of the momentum is behind Boseman. While I don't want to diminish Boseman's own performance, I'm not sure the Academy is willing to deal with the fallout of stiffing him in favor of handing Hopkins a second Oscar. All while Boseman's widow is in attendance. I think the train left the station weeks ago and there's no stopping it.

It's a touchy subject. I totally understand voters giving in to sentiment here, and it's not like Boseman would be a bad winner necessarily. It's just Hopkins' work in The Father is ungodly good. For my money, he'd be one of the best winners in decades.

As great of a performance Hopkins had in the Father, it just seems too obvious that the Brits would crown their own national treasure instead of Boseman. And we all know Hopkins is that good of an actor so it just feels like a predictable old school move from them.

And of course the real tragedy here is that Mads Mikkelsen was snubbed.

But honestly, if I had to rank that category it would've gone like...

Tahar Rahim
Adarsh Gourav
Riz Ahmed
Chadwick Boseman
Anthony Hopkins
Mads Mikkelsen

But on the flip side, all of the momentum is behind Boseman. While I don't want to diminish Boseman's own performance, I'm not sure the Academy is willing to deal with the fallout of stiffing him in favor of handing Hopkins a second Oscar. All while Boseman's widow is in attendance. I think the train left the station weeks ago and there's no stopping it.

It's a touchy subject. I totally understand voters giving in to sentiment here, and it's not like Boseman would be a bad winner necessarily. It's just Hopkins' work in The Father is ungodly good. For my money, he'd be one of the best winners in decades.

Yeah if Hopkins won the Oscar, the online backlash would be pretty fierce from mostly people who never even watched The Father.

But honestly, if I had to rank that category it would've gone like...

Tahar Rahim
Adarsh Gourav
Riz Ahmed
Chadwick Boseman
Anthony Hopkins
Mads Mikkelsen
I'd have to watch all the films again to rank them, but my list would be:

Anthony Hopkins
Chadwick Boseman
Delroy Lindo
Mads Mikkelsen
Riz Ahmed
Steven Youn

Anthony Hopkins wins in no contest.

Well, I mean the BAFTA category for Best Actor. If I had to pick my own it would be different.

The scales are tipped in Boseman's favor not only because he died, but because Hopkins already has an Oscar. It's an easier decision for Academy voters to honor Boseman if he's up against a decorated veteran like Hopkins.

If I had to make my own best actors category.

Steven Yeun - Minari
Tahar Rahim - The Mauritanian
Riz Ahmed - Mogul Mowgli (or Sound of Metal)
Rob Morgan - Bull
Adarsh Gourav - The White Tiger
Delroy Lindo - Da 5 Bloods (or Chadwick from Ma Rainey's)

And I would've put Chadwick's performance from The Da 5 Bloods in Best Supporting.

The scales are tipped in Boseman's favor not only because he died, but because Hopkins already has an Oscar. It's an easier decision for Academy voters to honor Boseman if he's up against a decorated veteran like Hopkins.

To be honest, Boseman should've won in 2014 for Get On Up. He wasn't even nominated. Eddie Redmayne won that year btw.

2014 and 2015 had some of the worst Best Actor lineups in a long time, especially considering some of the performances those years.

Brendan Gleeson / Calvary
David Oyelowo / Selma
Jake Gyllenhaal / Nightcrawler
Joaquin Phoenix / Inherent Vice
Miles Teller / Whiplash
Oscar Isaac / A Most Violent Year
Philip Seymour Hoffman / A Most Wanted Man
Ralph Fiennes / The Grand Budapest Hotel
Timothy Spall / Mr. Turner
Tom Hardy / Locke

Abraham Attah / Beasts of No Nation
Ben Mendelsohn / Mississippi Grind
Christopher Abbott / James White
Ian McKellen / Mr. Holmes
Jacob Tremblay / Room
Jason Segel / The End of the Tour
Michael B. Jordan / Creed
Michael Keaton / Spotlight
Paul Dano / Love & Mercy
Tom Courtenay / 45 Years

To be honest, Boseman should've won in 2014 for Get On Up. He wasn't even nominated. Eddie Redmayne won that year btw.
I still need to check out Get on Up, I added it to my Watchlist on Netflix. It's one of the only major performances of his I haven't seen yet along with Marshall and 21 Bridges.

2014 and 2015 had some of the worst Best Actor lineups in a long time, especially considering some of the performances those years.

Brendan Gleeson / Calvary
David Oyelowo / Selma
Jake Gyllenhaal / Nightcrawler
Joaquin Phoenix / Inherent Vice
Miles Teller / Whiplash
Oscar Isaac / A Most Violent Year
Philip Seymour Hoffman / A Most Wanted Man
Ralph Fiennes / The Grand Budapest Hotel
Timothy Spall / Mr. Turner
Tom Hardy / Locke

Abraham Attah / Beasts of No Nation
Ben Mendelsohn / Mississippi Grind
Christopher Abbott / James White
Ian McKellen / Mr. Holmes
Jacob Tremblay / Room
Jason Segel / The End of the Tour
Michael B. Jordan / Creed
Michael Keaton / Spotlight
Paul Dano / Love & Mercy
Tom Courtenay / 45 Years
Wow, I forgot the Gyllenhaal/Nightcrawler and Oyelowo/Selma snubs were THE SAME YEAR! And then to add insult to injury by having Redmayne beat Keaton. The most recent comparable snub for Actor is probably Hawke for First Reformed.

Ethan Hawke should have won that year. The snub is almost sinful.

Costume Designers Guild Awards 2021 Winners List: ‘Ma Rainey’, ‘Mulan’ And More – Deadline

Excellence in Period Film
Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
Ann Roth

Excellence in Contemporary Film
Promising Young Woman
Nancy Steiner

Excellence in Sci-Fi/Fantasy Film
Mulan
Bina Daigeler

Excellence in Short Form Design
Apple: Shot on iPhone by Damien Chazelle – Vertical Cinema “The Stunt Double” short film
April Napier

Excellence in Variety, Reality-Competition, Live Television
Hamilton
Paul Tazewell

Excellence in Period Television
The Queen’s Gambit: “End Game”
Gabriele Binder

Excellence in Contemporary Television
Schitt’s Creek: “Happy Ending”
Debra Hanson

Excellence in Sci-Fi/Fantasy Television
Westworld: “Parce Domine”
Shay Cunliffe

I'll never get over Gyllenhaal getting snubbed for Nightcrawler. I quite literally screamed "WHAT?!" at my computer during the nominations.

As for Hopkins, he's very good in The Father, but I still prefer Boseman's (and Ahmed's and Yeun's) performances over his personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"