'a' 'e' 'i' 'o' 'u' and NEVER 'y'

The english langauge is the king of having words or phrases or letters or something that mean one thing...but only some of the time...

phonix is the study of sounding out words according to the sound the letters make.

(PH)onix sucks.

strange how you omited the x at the end when the noise phonix makes doesn't sound like an x, rather more like an 'ics' like sonics...

a word ending in a x sound is sex or pecs not one with an 'i' as a prefix...

very interesting...

so you think the end of the word pheonix sounds like the letter x?

ok....
weirdo...
:o

No, it does sounds like "ics"...odd i never noticed that

I'm older than you, Bear, and I learned A,E,I,O,U and sometimes Y.

I think maybe you just weren't paying attention that day.

November Rain said:
strange how you omited the x at the end when the noise phonix makes doesn't sound like an x, rather more like an 'ics' like sonics...

a word ending in a x sound is sex or pecs not one with an 'i' as a prefix...

very interesting...

Well, it probably sounds like 'ics' at the end of "phonix" because the correct spelling is "phonics"

As in polyphonic, steroephonic... etc.

Stop lumping the vowel with the consonant.

The "x" is not making an "ics" sound. It's making a "ks" sound. The vowel that preceeds the "x" is not part of the "x"'s pronunciation.

"se-ks," "phoeni-ks," "prefi-ks."

Outsiderzedge said:

The "x" is not making an "ics" sound. It's making a "ks" sound. The vowel that preceeds the "x" is not part of the "x"'s pronunciation.

Right.

Six (ks) is very different than sic (k), and sex (ks) is different then sec (k) - as in "hold on just a sec".

Of course when you make a word ending in c plural, it is going to sound like a work ending in x, because you add the 's' sound to the existing k sound.

This is bull****!:mad:
"Y" making a "yuh" sound, as in "You light up my life."? A consonant.
"Y" sounding like a vowel as in "hYpe", "Ymir", "Yvonne Craig" or "syntax"?
That's a freaking vowel, every day, all the time.

The WAY bigger issue...there are times where you have to use "an" before a word begining with "H" instead of "a".

BUT, it's only because the "H" is silent, in words such as "Honor"...."It's AN Honor"...'cause all you're hearing is the"O"...a vowel.

So some ******ed teachers, the type that are nothing but a check-collecting liability, started feeding impressionable children, similarly to the way a mother bird chews up worms and then regurgitates them into her chick's mouths, this idiotic notion that you use "an" before ALL words than begin with "H".

So people run around thinking they're exceptional and correct saying crap like "AN History of the Iriquois", "He was in AN Hell of his own making." or "My, you're AN Healthy specimen!"

:rolleyes:

Daisy said:
Well, it probably sounds like 'ics' at the end of "phonix" because the correct spelling is "phonics"

As in polyphonic, steroephonic... etc.
i was basing it purely on man thing's earlier response.

:o:(

Outsiderzedge said:

i don't see how you can separate them when they are bound by a syllable.

Wilhelm-Scream said:
This is bull****!:mad:
"Y" making a "yuh" sound, as in "You light up my life."? A consonant.
"Y" sounding like a vowel as in "hYpe", "Ymir", "Yvonne Craig" or "syntax"?
That's a freaking vowel, every day, all the time.

The WAY bigger issue...there are times where you have to use "an" before a word begining with "H" instead of "a".

BUT, it's only because the "H" is silent, in words such as "Honor"...."It's AN Honor"...'cause all you're hearing is the"O"...a vowel.

So some ******ed teachers, the type that are nothing but a check-collecting liability, started feeding impressionable children, similarly to the way a mother bird chews up worms and then regurgitates them into her chick's mouths, this idiotic notion that you use "an" before ALL words than begin with "H".

So people run around thinking they're exceptional and correct saying crap like "AN History of the Iriquois", "He was in AN Hell of his own making." or "My, you're AN Healthy specimen!"

:rolleyes:
the real ***** is that fact that you can't put a 'an' infront of a large proportion of words starting with U

and that wrong is spelt with a W, i still think someone is playing a prank with that one...

Daisy said:
Right.

Six (ks) is very different than sic (k), and sex (ks) is different then sec (k) - as in "hold on just a sec".

Of course when you make a word ending in c plural, it is going to sound like a work ending in x, because you add the 's' sound to the existing k sound.

hmmm

i'm not sure if i truelly believe that the way you hear the word sex sounds like the combination of ks you speak of

this is based on the fact that sex doesn't rhyme with kicks, i would say it's more on the line of perhhaps cheques (making it sound like a ques)..

although perhaps my judgement is skewed because i don't the ks in kicks isn't preceeded by a similar sounding vowel (i.e an i rather than an e)

AndThePickles said:
How can "y" be a vowel?? :confused:
unlike the words read and read (one being past and one being present) which are similar and sound different, they sometime ago decided that words such as ski and sky would be spelt differently to tell them apart and the only way to phonetically have sky sound the way it does without the use of another vowel would be to have a y placed there instead. hence why has been raised to legendary status of being a partime vowel, kinda like bats on the justice league...

y is the batman of the alphabet.

this story is completely fabricated by the way but it's my mind's way of rationalising the situation

November Rain said:
the real ***** is that fact that you can't put a 'an' infront of a large proportion of words starting with U

and that wrong is spelt with a W, i still think someone is playing a prank with that one...
I've always felt sorry for foreigners trying to learn English. I think this sums it up:

COUGH
THROUGH
TOUGH
THOUGH

November Rain said:
hmmm

i'm not sure if i truelly believe that the way you hear the word sex sounds like the combination of ks you speak of

this is based on the fact that sex doesn't rhyme with kicks, i would say it's more on the line of perhhaps cheques (making it sound like a ques)..

although perhaps my judgement is skewed because i don't the ks in kicks isn't preceeded by a similar sounding vowel (i.e an i rather than an e)

That's because kicks is 'cks', not 'ks'. :p j/k

Seriously though, you're talking about the vowel. Kicks rhymes with six the same way wrecks rhymes with sex. See?

Wait, what words beginning with U can you not put An in front of? :confused:

Nevermind, I remember now. It's the ones where U is actually pronouced 'you'... as in a Uvula or a University.

"An Ugly" sounds fine
but "An Union" sounds awkward like a junior high Dungeon-Master speaking.

November Rain said:
hmmm

Why would sex rhyme with kicks. Words don't rhyme simply because they share the same last letter. The whole last syllable has to match.

Wilhelm-Scream said:
"An Ugly" sounds fine
but "An Union" sounds awkward like a junior high Dungeon-Master speaking.

Yeah, I remember now. It's just that it's so automatic for me when I'm speaking or writing that I had to really think about it.

Same with the H thing.

Daisy said:
That's because kicks is 'cks', not 'ks'. :p j/k

Seriously though, you're talking about the vowel. Kicks rhymes with six the same way wrecks rhymes with sex. See?
damn that blasted C:mad: (i always associated that c being said with the initial kic part with the ks after)

wrecks, sex, wrecks sex, wrecks sex.....

nah, i'm fussy about this and i would say that they don't rhyme truelly due to the sssss sound at the end of wrecks. very close but not the same.

you should be a rapper Nut, linking non rhyming words is already in your repetoir

:p

It might just come down to the way i was taught english i suppose

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"