A Good Reporter Makes Stories Great: Rachel Brosnahan IS Lois Lane

i'm expecting brosnahan as lois to have a meaty role in this.

my one hope is she isn't relegated to the damsel in distress trope.

it was already done with the OG chris reeves / margot kidder superman films.

and i laughed at how many times amy adam's lois almost fell to her death.
in MOS, she fell out of a kryptonian spaceship, then later on an airplane.
then in BvS, she was pushed off a building by lex luthor.

i'm expecting brosnahan as lois to have a meaty role in this.

my one hope is she isn't relegated to the damsel in distress trope.

it was already done with the OG chris reeves / margot kidder superman films.

and i laughed at how many times amy adam's lois almost fell to her death.
in MOS, she fell out of a kryptonian spaceship, then later on an airplane.
then in BvS, she was pushed off a building by lex luthor.
Gunn referred to Lois as a protagonist recently which is a great sign that we won’t get that kind of crap this time. I’m optimistic that Lois bursts onto the scene impressing hugely as a journalist first of all. And as some mentioned earlier I want her to not take too long forming an attraction for Clark while at the same time not falling for Superman and being more interested in him as an important news story (opposite of how Kidder’s version worked lol). I don’t particularly need her to get saved by Supes. It’s enough to build the respect and be grateful to him for saving others.

Gunn referred to Lois as a protagonist recently which is a great sign that we won’t get that kind of crap this time. I’m optimistic that Lois bursts onto the scene impressing hugely as a journalist first of all. And as some mentioned earlier I want her to not take too long forming an attraction for Clark while at the same time not falling for Superman and being more interested in him as an important news story (opposite of how Kidder’s version worked lol). I don’t particularly need her to get saved by Supes. It’s enough to build the respect and be grateful to him for saving others.

giphy.gif

Let's also remember, as talented as she is, one of Lane's defining traits is that she's kinda a dumbass. Forget how she can't recognize someone wearing glasses. A lot of the times she needs to be saved, she put herself in that situation in the first place. They need to capture that as wel.

Let's also remember, as talented as she is, one of Lane's defining traits is that she's kinda a dumbass. Forget how she can't recognize someone wearing glasses. A lot of the times she needs to be saved, she put herself in that situation in the first place. They need to capture that as wel.
What’s that now?

Yeeeh , nah that aint Lois. She jumps into danger with no powers as a great person would but she aint no dumbass.

Anyone have an idea of what they'd like her arc to be?

A lot really depends on whether she knows about Clark or not. But if the story really revolves a cruel dictatorship and Superman having his own philosophy for how to deal with it, I think it'd be interesting to see Lois on the more cynical side at first and later be persuaded by his Superman-y ways. It would put her at odds with Clark while still having a good point of her own. Maybe it's an issue where neither of them is entirely "right", but her as a lone voice in media deciding to trust/support him when nobody else is willing to, I think that's a cool take.

Or maybe the other way around? She starts on his side and later realizes he's way too naive and his way won't do. Messier ending, less easy resolution.

I always like to see Lois as a Superman skeptic (not in a “he’s not real” way, but in a “what’s his agenda” way) to start with, who’s gradually won over and made a believer by his inherent goodness. Lois as a pretty jaded and cynical person whose worldview is made kinder by Superman giving her a little more faith in humanity is a great first arc for her imo.

I always like to see Lois as a Superman skeptic (not in a “he’s not real” way, but in a “what’s his agenda” way) to start with, who’s gradually won over and made a believer by his inherent goodness. Lois as a pretty jaded and cynical person whose worldview is made kinder by Superman giving her a little more faith in humanity is a great first arc for her imo.
"Why the World Doesn't Need Superman" to "Why the World Needs Superman" by the end of the movie. Clark will charm the pants off her.

Famously smart show for very smart little boys South Park. What a fossilized, irrelevant relic of a show.
Oh, but The Simpsons ain't? That got a nom this year despite being irrelevant 25 years ago.

Oh, but The Simpsons ain't? That got a nom this year despite being irrelevant 25 years ago.
Not to go off topic further but: The Simpsons is merely bad and past it’s sell by date - though I’ve heard it’s having a surprising upswing in quality lately. South Park is a much uglier creature that has spent decades espousing the dumbest, most toxic world view - it’s the stupid persons idea of a smart show. There’s been a bunch of South Park episodes I love but that show and its creators are completely vile.

Not to go off topic further but: The Simpsons is merely bad and past it’s sell by date - though I’ve heard it’s having a surprising upswing in quality lately. South Park is a much uglier creature that has spent decades espousing the dumbest, most toxic world view - it’s the stupid persons idea of a smart show. There’s been a bunch of South Park episodes I love but that show and its creators are completely vile.
You're right. We are getting off topic. So before we go back, in a response to this, you might wanna read this. Won't change your mind but it'd be nice to see a different perspective:

Why South Park Has Been A Cultural Rorschach Test For 25 Years - /Film

A lot really depends on whether she knows about Clark or not. But if the story really revolves a cruel dictatorship and Superman having his own philosophy for how to deal with it, I think it'd be interesting to see Lois on the more cynical side at first and later be persuaded by his Superman-y ways. It would put her at odds with Clark while still having a good point of her own. Maybe it's an issue where neither of them is entirely "right", but her as a lone voice in media deciding to trust/support him when nobody else is willing to, I think that's a cool take.

Or maybe the other way around? She starts on his side and later realizes he's way too naive and his way won't do. Messier ending, less easy resolution.

That's not too far off from what I had in mind. :yay:

Since Gunn has implied that the movie will have something to say about optimism vs. pessimism, I think it'd be great to see Superman confronting cynicism in both his lives. Lois, who I interpret as someone who presents herself as more cynical than she really is, is the perfect person to demonstrate the positive shift in thinking that comes from spending enough time around Clark Kent.

I’d love for her to start the movie with a negative outlook on something that Clark eventually helps her turn her thinking around on. For maximum effectiveness: whatever’s bothering her should be completely unrelated to their relationship; Lois should clearly be shown to want to take the more positive view, especially when she can’t bring herself to; and the resolution should explicitly come about as a result of her choice to change.

upload_2023-7-20_12-20-38.gif

upload_2023-7-20_12-22-36.gif

Prior to Rachel's casting, I was really hoping for Jessica Henwick to get the role. After getting familiarized with her work, I'm now convinced that Rachel was the best selection for Lois Lane. Assuming that James Gunn provides her with great material, I can't wait to see how Rachel Brosnahan brings Lois Lane to life.

Prior to Rachel's casting, I was really hoping for Jessica Henwick to get the role. After getting familiarized with her work, I'm now convinced that Rachel was the best selection for Lois Lane. Assuming that James Gunn provides her with great material, I can't wait to see how Rachel Brosnahan brings Lois Lane to life.

Yeah, I like Henwick but I’ve honestly never seen her display the levels of charisma, charm and wit that Rachel does. As soon as I heard she had auditioned for the role, there was literally NO ONE else that I would have been happy with, lol. I’m so thrilled that she’s our new Lois Lane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"