A Spider-Woman film?

Even Kate Beckinsale for Jessica Drew would be (very) fine with me.

For Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman

00000001-7588.jpg
86189-149494-spider-woman_super.jpg

They could make the Julia Carpenter version of Spider-Woman the evil one

Kate Bosworth as Spider-Woman/Julia Carpenter

kate-bosworth.jpg
Peter+Parker,+The+Spectacular+Spider-Man+%23126+page+9+panel+4.jpg

^ No thanks to both.

Jessica Drew doesn't need to fight Julia Carpenter. What a slap in the face that would be to Carpenter fans. Also, Jessica has her own villains gallery who are suitable for her character.

I've never seen either of them before to judge weither they should play a role or not.

Who is that actress? You identified Kate Bosworth, but I have no clue who this one is.

It's Cerina Vincent, and she's too Italian looking for Jessica Drew. I can't see what about her makes her anything like Jessica, other than her having big boobs.

Jessica needs a good actress who would seem as if she could fit right into a period drama and seem as if she belongs in another time.

If you don't want someone who is super hot, I did suggest British actress Rebecca Hall (The Prestige, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Dorian Gray) before. She is very attractive, but not supermodel hot. However, she has that almost Victorian quality that was so characteristic of early Jessica Drew. She could also portray that troubled woman who is slightly morally ambiguous when she first breaks free from Hydra and reacquaints herself with the modern world.

Could this work as a TV series, or would it just lose ratings very quickly like Bionic Woman, and the ill-fated Wonder Woman Pilot?

And (LOL) perhaps they could call it 'Agent Of S.W.O.R.D.':

-Catwoman [2004]
-Bionic Woman [2007]
-Wonder-Woman [2011]
-Spider-Woman [success?]

rachelnicholsattendse2c.jpg

Rachel Nichols would make a good Jessica Drew/Spider Woman.

Could this work as a TV series, or would it just lose ratings very quickly like Bionic Woman, and the ill-fated Wonder Woman Pilot?

-Catwoman [2004]
-Bionic Woman [2007]
-Wonder-Woman [2011]
-Spider-Woman [success?]
not one of those was done right. they took the name and dumped everything else.

if you want a show with a female lead there are a lot of shows that show it can be done.

Buffy
Alias
In Plan Sight
La Femme Nikita
Covert Affairs
Law & Order SVU (it may not be a female driven show, but it has strong females on the show)

-Catwoman [2004]
-Bionic Woman [2007]
-Wonder-Woman [2011]
-Spider-Woman [success?]

If it were a TV series it should be on the CW, where it would be right at home and would have a chance to develop instead of being on a broadcast network.

Instead of trying to make her a spy, they should just adapt her original comic run and its tone more or less as it was. It would completely fit in with the whole supernatural tone and appeal to Twilight fans. I would see it as similar to Buffy and Angel (probably more like Angel but of course with a female private investigator). There could be hints of Alias, but it should be more like Angel.

If it were a TV series it should be on the CW, where it would be right at home and would have a chance to develop instead of being on a broadcast network.

Instead of trying to make her a spy, they should just adapt her original comic run and its tone more or less as it was. It would completely fit in with the whole supernatural tone and appeal to Twilight fans. I would see it as similar to Buffy and Angel (probably more like Angel but of course with a female private investigator). There could be hints of Alias, but it should be more like Angel.
but she isn't a supernatural character, she has from time to time fought them but thats not what her comic was all about. using Hydra as her background for her powers and training is good. i would have her looking for her father as the main story and keeping her on the move while being hunted by Hydra.

not one of those was done right. they took the name and dumped everything else.

if you want a show with a female lead there are a lot of shows that show it can be done.

Buffy
Alias
In Plan Sight
La Femme Nikita
Covert Affairs
Law & Order SVU (it may not be a female driven show, but it has strong females on the show)

Good points and examples - I just think it's coincidentally amusing that the word woman appears in those less-than-successful CBMs, and that if I were a superstitious movie producer, I'd call it Spider- errr... something else!:woot:

Michelle Ryan (Bionic Woman) is still alright with me though.

Spider-WomanMoviePostcardByEditNinja.png

but she isn't a supernatural character, she has from time to time fought them but thats not what her comic was all about. using Hydra as her background for her powers and training is good. i would have her looking for her father as the main story and keeping her on the move while being hunted by Hydra.

While I agree Spider-Woman herself wasn't supernatural, the tone of the comic was pretty similar to Angel. Her 50 issue comic run was full of supernatural characters and had a frequently supernatural feel about it. Morgan Le Fay, her arch enemy, was frequently trying to take control of her and claim her as her own. The comic even ended in a supernatural way with Morgan apparently defeating Jessica and seemingly killing her when she went to battle Le Fay in the astral plane with Magnus the magician (who was both there at the start and end of her comic).

Then there was the Brothers Grimm, Nekra, Waxman, Werewolf by Night, Hangman, The Shroud, Madame Doll, etc. And even if they weren't completely supernatural, the villains were rather creepy or macabre, such as Gypsy Moth, Daddy Longlegs, etc.

It was only from issue 20 onwards (after encountering Spider-Man) that she finally decided she was an actual heroine. Before that she was rather morally ambiguous and couldn't quite decide whose side she wanted to be on. Then she became a bounty hunter, and then a private investigator, first in LA and then later in San Francisco where, in the last few issues of her comic it came full circle and the supernatural tone was back. She continued as a PI after she was brought back to life by Dr Strange and the Avengers and had lost her powers. So the PI aspect is even similar to Angel.

The only time she really operated as an agent was actually before her comic, during the Marvel Spotlight/ Marvel Two-In-One years when she was sent to kill Nick Fury/ battled Ben Grimm, and was still an agent of Hydra who thought she had evolved from a spider. Jessica was still a rather creepy character in the beginning though.

It's only in recent years when she was given her powers back by Hydra prior to New Avengers that she began operating as a spy again. However, for most of New Avengers that was Veranke the Skrull Queen anyway.

For reasons stated above, that's why I think if she had a tv series or a movie, it should be on the CW or should be made to appeal to Twilight/ Buffy fans. It doesn't need to be radically retooled at all, because it is already in that vein. After all, Buffy herself wasn't supernatural but fought supernatural villains. Jessica Drew is much the same.

So I would say the template for Spider-Woman would be a cross between Dark Angel, Buffy and Angel. Dark Angel had Jessica Alba as someone who had been groomed as a child by an evil organisation to be a killing machine but had then escaped. Buffy had SMG as a non supernatural but super powered female fighting mostly supernatural villains. And Angel had David Boreanaz as a vampire PI investigating macabre cases in a very dark LA. Incidentally, Spider-Woman's nickname in the comics was the Dark Angel of the Night.

Last edited:

-Catwoman [2004]
-Bionic Woman [2007]
-Wonder-Woman [2011]
-Spider-Woman [success?]

S.W.O.R.D.? How phallic can you get in a superheroine fantasy?

1) Yes who needs story when you can have the main actor walk around in her underwear

Spider-Woman was designed for several underwear scenes.. and her pheromones should be in high gear all the time.. men attracted to her, women skittish around her..

Last edited:
Yeah, Atwell qualifies: Sexy, English, talented, sexy, the right age, a rising star and sexy.

hayley_atwell_captain_america.jpg

Last edited:
I'd suggest British actress Rebecca Hall for the role:

rebecca_hall_1291486i.jpg

QUOTE]

She was awesome in The Town. Looking forward to Everything Must Go. She is definitely a rising star and a good fit for this role.

I think the actress that plays Jessica the baby vamp on HBO's True Blood would make a good Spider-Woman. She's not super model hot when she has on regular clothes, just cute, but still has a great body under there....
Deborah Ann Woll is definitely hot enough! Not sure about her acting chops.
deborah-ann-woll-03.jpg

Uma Thurman? Kate Beckinsale? Charlize Theron? Sandra Bullock? Linda Hamilton? Lynda Carter? Demi Moore? Lucy Liu? Sigourney Weaver? Cameron Diaz? They all made bank as action heroines.

Buffy
Alias
In Plan Sight
La Femme Nikita
Covert Affairs

I think The Long Kiss Goodnight is missing from these lists. Charlie was about as kickass as a heroine gets.

Yeah, Atwell qualifies: Sexy, English, talented, sexy, the right age, a rising star and sexy.

hayley_atwell_captain_america.jpg

Hayley is beautiful and has nice womanly curves, but Jessica Drew's body is absolutely statuesque and toned. Hayley doesn't really have that kind of physique. She would have to get in shape because her body type is wrong at the moment.

For Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman

00000001-7588.jpg
86189-149494-spider-woman_super.jpg

They could make the Julia Carpenter version of Spider-Woman the evil one

Kate Bosworth as Spider-Woman/Julia Carpenter

kate-bosworth.jpg
Peter+Parker,+The+Spectacular+Spider-Man+%23126+page+9+panel+4.jpg

No to using Julia Carpenter as the antagonist. Jessica has her own foes, and having another character named Spider-Woman or Arachne would be very confusing for audiences.

No to using Julia Carpenter as the antagonist. Jessica has her own foes, and having another character named Spider-Woman or Arachne would be very confusing for audiences.

That would be like that stupid idea some director had for Iron Man before Favreau came on board, where he wanted to make Howard Stark the villain, invent his own suit of armour and become War Machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"