Age of Ultron Aaron Johnson is Quicksilver - Part 2

Bringing Quicksilver backcould potentially add fuel to the "death means nothing in the MCU" fire. However, it would make a great plot in Civil War if Tony secretly kept a comatose Quicksilver and subjected him to SHIELD expiraments, ultimatly bringing him back. He could potentially fill the role of the Thor clone from the original storyline.

As soon as his death happened I thought to myself, well they'll eventually just use one of the stones or the infinity gauntlet to bring him back

And that's exactly the problem.
Even when they do kill someone permanently (as this might be) we still think they are coming back so there aren't any stakes.

But there is no way to avoid that, you can make the argument that none of these movies have stakes in regards to the heroes. I mean hell we already know what the current movie slate is until 2019 and you know no big name hero is going to die before their third sequel or Avengers 3

And that's exactly the problem.
Even when they do kill someone permanently (as this might be) we still think they are coming back so there aren't any stakes.

Well, they killed off Frigga, Hansen, and pretty much the heroes we see now either have one or both parents dead, so they do have people die. And while TDK may have killed off the love interest, I think it's just as harsh seeing what Steve Rogers is going through with his, watching her deteriote right in front of his eyes, and he is completely helpless to do anything about it.

And lets not pretend that MCU is the only ones who do this. Christopher Nolan did the same schtick with Gordon in TDK and Batman in TDKR. (Actually, TDKR reminded me alot of how CA TFA went down! Funny that)

I honestly just didn't care one way or the other about Pietro in this movie. He didn't seem to have much of a personality, certainly not the heightened arrogance of his comic counterpart, and his revenge for the sake of revenge shtick was underwhelming. They just really did nothing with him. The effects weren't that great, his speed feats weren't that great...just meh.

The issue isn't that they kill off characters, the issue is that they kill off characters that haven't even been developed and could offer so much more potential. If Marvel wanted to kill off QS in future movies, that's fine. But at least give him a couple of movies to develop his character so we can feel the full impact of his passing.

I honestly just didn't care one way or the other about Pietro in this movie. He didn't seem to have much of a personality, certainly not the heightened arrogance of his comic counterpart, and his revenge for the sake of revenge shtick was underwhelming. They just really did nothing with him. The effects weren't that great, his speed feats weren't that great...just meh.

The arrogance factor could have played a role too in my scenario, when they would have killed of the child. Hawkeye sees the child and starts an rescue, Pietro smirks at him saying something like: Let me do it old man, I´m faster than you. Or so.... and runs off, but fails and gets the boy killed and himself hurt. If that would not be an arrogant action, I don´t know what is. Would also had potential for nice Pietro- Clint interaction for the next movie, because Clint would still not like Pietro very much and still they would have to work together. Pietro would not have had a true hero-arc, ok, but he still could have that in another movie, than it would also not have been so rushed and he´d had more time to develop his character, because Pietro just is a deeply flawed character and while he his brave, he also has lots of negative traits that don´t vanish from one minute to the other.

The issue isn't that they kill off characters, the issue is that they kill off characters that haven't even been developed and could offer so much more potential. If Marvel wanted to kill off QS in future movies, that's fine. But at least give him a couple of movies to develop his character so we can feel the full impact of his passing.

:up::up:

Bingo. This issue is around a few franchises, and really pisses me off.[BLACKOUT] Personally I hate the argument that someone always needs to die, but could be worse. At least they didn't kill him off in a throwaway line, like X-Men did with Frost.

Depends what they do here. But I will be pretty disappointed if this is it for Pietro. Killing off Ronan angered me too. So much more to that character. Personally I thought Widow should have died if anyone. But there's no way they would have let that happen, being the female star. The backlash would have been brutal. [/BLACKOUT]

Last edited:

QS is in an ensemble movie with many characters. The fact that he's slightly underdeveloped is something that is hard to avoid. That's why he should've received additional character development in future movie instead of saying "let's throw the baby out with the bath water".

And Frigga in Thor! People seem to forget about her too.

And Agent Trip (along with a few other SHIELD agents) in AOS. The character that Marvel should have let stay dead was Bucky. IMO, it was a bad/stupid idea to bring Bucky back in the comics,cartoons,and movies. On the flip side it was a stupid/bad idea to kill off Coulson and Quicksilver. If Wheedon wanted to kill off a character so bad to show that there are casualties in "war" (this wasn't a war movie, it is a superhero movie) he should have created a brand new original superhero to join the Avengers in order to fill the role being a "war" casualty.

There is so much back and forth with this Quicksilver situation. Feige says one thing like "we knew what was gonna happen in AoU when we were filming Avengers" but then Whedon states they filmed multiple endings for AoU stating
Quicksilver survives and is with Wanda when Cap and Black Widow assemble the new team
Doesn't sound like they were on the same page.

Well it was confirmed somewhere [BLACKOUT]that he did die in the original script. But a later draft allegedly had him surviving.
[/BLACKOUT] Then there's this...
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/joss-whedon-shot-an-alternate-avengers-age-of-ultron-ending-where-redacted-doesnt-die-much-more-20150504
The director said the first day he met Aaron Taylor-Johnson for the role of Quicksilver, he told the actor that he intended to kill the character and that he would stay dead… unless Marvel suits strongly objected. “I said, ‘The only thing that would keep you alive is if the Disney executives say, ‘Idiot, it’s a franchise and we need all these people and you’re not allowed to kill them,’” he said.

But alternate versions were shot, though Whedon doesn’t say whether they were at the behest of Marvel/Disney or not. “We did actually shoot him in the last scene, in an outfit with his sister,” he admitted. “And we did shoot him waking up from his, ‘Ahh! I didn’t really die from these 47 bullet wounds!’ but the intent was always that we were going to earn this and then you have to stand by it.”

Whedon hints at something else they shot with Quicksilver’s character, but didn’t reveal what it was. Whedon acknowledged that he was one of the reasons that Agent Coulson was revived for TV, and while he doesn’t sound like he regretted it, he didn’t want to repeat this with Quicksilver’s death. “It did take the truth out of [his death],” he said of reviving Coulson and how it affected "The Avengers" in retrospect. “And I’m responsible for having done that. I’m as guilty of bringing people back to life as I am of killing them.”

Curious on why he didn't reveal what else he shot.

Last edited:
I didn't like that they [BLACKOUT]killed off Quicksilver[/BLACKOUT], but seriously it didn't ruin the film for me.

Last edited:
Feige on Quicksilver, plus what happened in tonight's Agent of SHIELD episode that may tie in.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?p=31329165#post31329165

^ Posted this on the SPOILERS thread so didn't want to copy and paste the whole thing again here.

Hm. Well, I guess that's it then - if the president of Marvel studios says he's 100% dead and he's not coming back, then he's not coming back. A shame and a waste of a character, but there it is.

At the same time why would he spell out a twist a week after the movie opened? Nothing is forever with comic book material.

Well it was confirmed somewhere [BLACKOUT]that he did die in the original script. But a later draft allegedly had him surviving.
[/BLACKOUT] Then there's this...
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/joss-whedon-shot-an-alternate-avengers-age-of-ultron-ending-where-redacted-doesnt-die-much-more-20150504

Curious on why he didn't reveal what else he shot.
Something fishy is going on here. I know it would be incredibly childish, but I wouldn't be complaining at all if the Russos decide to bring him back just to spite Whedon.

Nope. Same for Scarlet Witch.

In fact most of the characters besides Thor barely have their codenames mentioned. I don't think anyone ever said "Captain America" either.

And the only time we've heard "Black Widow" is in Russian in the first film.

Correction. In Winter Soldier near the end when Crossbones is about to fight Falcon he gets a radio message from a Hydra agent telling him Black Widow is upstairs.

Something fishy is going on here. I know it would be incredibly childish, but I wouldn't be complaining at all if the Russos decide to bring him back just to spite Whedon.

Could the Russos do that though, if Feige doesn't want it to happen? From the sound of things, Feige is pretty firm about it - QS isn't coming back, period. I'd love for him to come back, too, since he had so much potential, but that'd be pretty tough if the president of Marvel Studios is completely against the idea.

New Interview With Aaron Taylor-Johnson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3bjxTvmOPM

How cool does Pietro putting out the fire of Thor's cape sound ? Wish they'd kept that in :( Also if the alternate ending with Quicksilver joining The Avengers gonna be included on the Blu-Ray?

Could the Russos do that though, if Feige doesn't want it to happen? From the sound of things, Feige is pretty firm about it - QS isn't coming back, period. I'd love for him to come back, too, since he had so much potential, but that'd be pretty tough if the president of Marvel Studios is completely against the idea.

Guess not, if he does not aprove. But it is a stupid decision nontheless and I am still pissed off.... and will be for a loooooooooooooooong time! However hope dies last...hope the guys still see the mistake they made with killing QS off and find a creative way to undo it.

New Interview With Aaron Taylor-Johnson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3bjxTvmOPM

How cool does Pietro putting out the fire of Thor's cape sound ? Wish they'd kept that in :( Also if the alternate ending with Quicksilver joining The Avengers gonna be included on the Blu-Ray?

Judging by his reaction to the contract question I'd say he's signed on for more than one movie. Also, Feige didn't say he was permanently done. Just that Quicksilver is done for the immediate future. Which makes sense considering how stuffed Civil War is and Infinity War will be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"