Age of Ultron Aaron Johnson is Quicksilver - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the beginning Quicksilver was nowhere near as fast as he is now. So seeing as he didn't have his powers for long, and didn't get any sorts of power ups like he did numerous times in the comics, his speed was just fine. Wanda can warp reality in the comics, but she didn't start out like that either. There is nowhere left to go development wise, if you already start with them at max power.

That's a good way to think about it

for all we know, he was running as fast as he possibly could during that scene.

exactly. It's not like we saw him moving so much faster throughout the movie and then for some reason he moved really slow.

Didn't DoFP QS only have that one scene of him in his house. And then the one of him breaking Magneto out, where he barely does any speaking at all?

The Magneto breakout was still a bad ass scene. Very well filmed, well staged, and all that.

And he had a bunch of funny lines and mannerisms.

No lines or not that was still a better scene then anything this Quicksilver got.

To me the difference is that MCU Quicksilver is a character. FOX Quicksilver is a plot device and ultimately a useless one since the thing he's brought in to do ends up being nothing but a waste of time and just ends up making the protagonist's jobs more difficult to accomplish. Freeing Magneto was a giant bone-headed mistake on Logan & Xavier's part. They'd have been far better off if they'd left him in prison(and Logan with future knowledge should have known this). It's like they WANTED more of a challenge(not surprising since that's the lone reason for Xavier's 'my powers are gone so I can walk' load of BS).

Ok, I gotta stop now or I'll spin off into a lava spewing rant about DoFP(one of the most overrated movies in history). UGH!

To me the difference is that MCU Quicksilver is a character. FOX Quicksilver is a plot device and ultimately a useless one since the thing he's brought in to do ends up being nothing but a waste of time and just ends up making the protagonist's jobs more difficult to accomplish. Freeing Magneto was a giant bone-headed mistake on Logan & Xavier's part. They'd have been far better off if they'd left him in prison(and Logan with future knowledge should have known this). It's like they WANTED more of a challenge.

Ok, I gotta stop now or I'll spin off into a lava spewing rant about DoFP(one of the most overrated movies in history). UGH!

haha
I am just in the FOX vs MCU Quicksilver thread heaving this discussion. MCU Quicksilver is just a plot device too. He is a villain for 2/3 of the movie and is just around to give The Avengers trouble. It isn't until that last act and [BLACKOUT]his sacrifice[/BLACKOUT] that he is given anything substantial. The only difference is that he is given a backstory and more screen time

I don't think DOFP is one of the most overrated in history, but I will say that on a second viewing it really didn't hold up much for me. Same could be said for First Class, to me at least. But I think your criticism of DOFP is essentially like the "why didn't they just ride the birds into Mordor" argument

I agree with the general sentiment that QS could've been fleshed out more

but I liked him
[BLACKOUT]felt genuinely sad at the end[/BLACKOUT]

and the accents didn't really bug me that much either
the eastern european annoys me anyway so I didn't mind that it floated a bit

and yeah, both the recent, "beloved" x-films get far too much praise imo
MCU Pietro didn't have a lot more time to develop than his x-counterpart
but I wouldn't have cared if DOFP Pietro had [BLACKOUT]bit it[/BLACKOUT]

and the accents didn't really bug me that much either
the eastern european annoys me anyway so I didn't mind that it floated a bit

I didn't mind the accents either.

I even though Scarlett Witch's was kinda hot :o

I don really know what a generic Eastern European accent is even supposed to sound like so maybe that's why I didn't care.

haha
I am just in the FOX vs MCU Quicksilver thread heaving this discussion. MCU Quicksilver is a plot device too. The only difference is that he is given a backstory and more screen time

I don't think DOFP is one of the most overrated in history, but I will say that on a second viewing it really didn't hold up much for me. Same could be said for First Class, to me at least.

MCU QS also has an arc. When you give a plot device a backstory and time to flesh them out(not saying he's got the most time to do this but he did have time for it) and cap it off with an arc then you end up with a character. A thin character, perhaps but a character none the less. Nobody's saying that MCU QS is as developed as Iron Man, for example. But he has something going on.

FOX QS is all 'quip, quip...look at meeeeee, wheeeeeeeee!!!! Look what I can do! Ok, see ya! Bye.' And that's it with him.

FOX QS is all 'quip, quip...look at meeeeee, wheeeeeeeee!!!! Look what I can do! Ok, see ya! Bye.' And that's it with him.

but doesn't that mostly have to do with screentime?

but doesn't that mostly have to do with screentime?

Oh, of course. MCU QS got more screentime and so he benefits where as FOX QS didn't. But FOX QS didn't need to be in the movie in the first place since we already went over the fact that the sole thing he was there to do was basically plot padding and making things more difficult than they needed to be solely for the purpose of padding the movie more with conflict because otherwise Charles would just solve the problem himself in 5 seconds and there's be no real story for the movie. As it turned out they settled for an unnecessary story since they couldn't come up with a clever story. And people wonder why critics call it 'X-Men Franchise Management: The Movie'.

Seriously, I really liked that movie when I first saw it but after that every time I think more about it it sinks into the mire more and more.

TDK did this fantastic. They killed the love interest. No one saw that coming. But, it also felt organic, and not "ok, we have to kill someone off to raise them stakes"

Much as I despise that P.o.S. movie, I must agree here. But the thing is that for me this was the lone part of the movie that had me cheering since I considered that travesty of a character the worst ingenue in all of superhero cinema and I was delighted to see her die.

I actually liked this QS and
was sad to see him go
There were several ladies in the audience that let their displeasure be heard when he bit it as well.

I have no doubt Wanda can do for him what she did for her non-existent children in the comics. We could have QS back yet still have a scenario where he actually doesn't exist. That'd be a unique way to bring a character back from the dead, but not really do it. Have your cake and eat it too.

http://ift.tt/1cdfA67

Aaron Taylor-Johnson revealed Marvel had a new Costume for him!

Also reveals contract.
I'm not sure if I'd call that revealing what his contract was (unless I'm misreading the article).
It sounds like they're making a speculation that, because they were planning on killing him off/did kill him off, then his contract must have been a one and done. I don't think that's really confirming it though

Especially since that kind of contradicts the idea that they have with the quote from ATJ that they had a uniform for him in case they changed their minds. Plus, signing an actor for one single film doesn't really seem Marvel's style. They generally like to get their actors (even side characters) to sign for at least a few so they at least have possibilities open down the road

Oh, of course. MCU QS got more screentime and so he benefits where as FOX QS didn't. But FOX QS didn't need to be in the movie in the first place since we already went over the fact that the sole thing he was there to do was basically plot padding and making things more difficult than they needed to be solely for the purpose of padding the movie more with conflict because otherwise Charles would just solve the problem himself in 5 seconds and there's be no real story for the movie. As it turned out they settled for an unnecessary story since they couldn't come up with a clever story. And people wonder why critics call it 'X-Men Franchise Management: The Movie'.

Seriously, I really liked that movie when I first saw it but after that every time I think more about it it sinks into the mire more and more.

Again as I said your complaints are pretty much film ending complaints not really valid ones. It just seems like you weren't on board for the premise at all

Again as I said your complaints are pretty much film ending complaints not really valid ones. It just seems like you weren't on board for the premise at all

I still don't see how they aren't valid. I need more, especially when they are in a franchise that's given me little to no incentive to cut them slack at all as the FOX Marvel films have been. When I can see the strings showing from a writing POV(TDK had a similar problem and that's why I hate it) it takes away from the movie for me. Every movie's story exists so that the movie can exist, but some are more clever at hiding those nuts and bolts and strings than others are. I think the larger the ambitions of the filmmakers the more I'm willing to cut them slack. WHen they treat continuity like it doesn't matter or like they couldn't care less the way Fox has always been then I see no reason to give them as much benefit of the doubt.

MS has shown themselves(to me at least) to highly care and be highly ambitious. Fox much less so.

Oh man...this got my hopes up for a moment, reading the word "new costume".
:-(
I WANT QUICKSILVER BACK! I think I would have liked seeing their alternative a million times more...

Silvery

Looks like Joss shot an alternative scene with Quicksilver "waking up" and surviving the attack. Talks about it in the empire podcast around 14:30

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=44188

Therefore the material is there if the studio wants to bring Quicksilver back.

Here's Marvel's Double-edged sword:

Bring QS back: "No one stays dead in the MCU."

Keep QS dead: "SHIELD has the tech to bring back Coulson, so why don't they use it for Quicksilver?"

At this point, I don't care if no one stays dead since they done it numerous times already. It'll make less sense if SHIELD doesn't bring QS back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved the character in the movie. Johnson nailed the cocky, protective personality that defines Quicksilver. The scenes with Hawkeye and Thor's hammer were especially great.

With that said, I was extremely upset that they killed him off. It's even worse because it's so obvious that he only died because of Whedon's determination to kill somebody just to "make the stakes feel real". Any number of civilian deaths could accomplish that, rather than kill off someone who would likely have been the breakout star of the movie. And to know they filmed him waking up, but decided not to do it, is even more frustrating.

Looks like Joss shot an alternative scene with Quicksilver "waking up" and surviving the attack. Talks about it in the empire podcast around 14:30

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=44188

Therefore the material is there if the studio wants to bring Quicksilver back.

But how he says, what he says about Quicksilver´s death it does not sound at all as if he will be back. Sounds pretty much like "is dead, stays dead". But than... he does not make the next movie, are these... Russobrothers (?) more into bringing people back from the dead than Whedon? And what does he call Quicksilver? Pussywhat? What´s that?

Keep QS dead: "SHIELD has the tech to bring back Coulson, so why don't they use it for Quicksilver?"

At this point, I don't care if no one stays dead since they done it numerous times already. It'll make less sense if SHIELD doesn't bring QS back.

Because if you actually pay attention to the show they don't have the alien body to make any more serum

Last reminder: The movie just came out. So, tag spoilers unless the thread is otherwise marked as SPOILER. I've handed out several warnings. Those will start becoming infractions.

[BLACKOUT]plus it was unstable
it'd make less sense for them to use it now than to shelf it
and if they DID use it on QS and it worked perfectly, then there would be no excuse to ever let anyone stay dead ever again
like how could SHIELD bring all these heroes back, but leave a ton of civilians dead? Would make them horrible people[/BLACKOUT]

Well it won't be a double edged sword if it is done with adequate explanation.

Or just get a scene where he just wakes up.

Maybe they are holding QS's involvement in CW as a secret. But that's my wild guesses.

Hope to see him back since this is the most faithful Q's ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"