Accent Sense

^
yeah for some reason since Bush became president whenever brits do american accents in does sound southern.

well most of the cast of Batman Begins where British and where doing American accents and no one even notices until they check out IMDB and see the actors profile.

I noticed there are a lot of Irish people here in the city as of late. Yesterday I'm on the train going home and this one dude with a massive brogue, probably about 17-18 is asking me if he's on the right train, and then gets into an argument with me about whether it's the right train or not. I'm like, "you may wanna ask the dude that handles the tickets" and he's like, "well, this is the 7:25 train, right...there wouldn't be any others, it's the only one it could be." Oh, you wacky Irish.

This is a story I usually get a laugh out of. I was born in New Jersey suburbs, pretty much right across the bridge from Philly, so you could say I have a Philly accent. (I have never tried to classify my accent before...)

When I started taking martial arts, the Grandmaster from Korea was my instructor and taught me the korean words we would use. He then opened a new school and taught there so all the students at my school recieved a new teacher.

He was about 67 years old or so at that time (He's 76 now) and from virginia and he has a pretty thick southern accent for this area. So I ended up speaking Korean with a Southern accent.

Favorite thing to joke with that old master about is that time that he "beat the tar outta dat bar"...he beat the tar out of that bear...

Yeah whenever i go to Spain and i use some Spanish they always look at me funny or laugh because im speaking spanish in a Yorkshire accent, now thats funny!! :woot:

^You know they make us all sound like cowboys and new yawkers. Those are like the only two distinguishable american accents. Also the ghetto slang voice.

Don't forget surfers and valley girls, but that is so 1993.

heh, it's interesting to watch people attempt our accents

heh, it's interesting to watch people attempt our accents

1. Ha! His attempt at American was as bad as our attempts at Aussie. Feel the wrath of a fair and balanced universe!

2. They get Judge Judy?

I didn't think it was that bad, comparatively speaking. I've heard far worse coming from actual movie stars :p

To answer your question about reading american accents.
When I read something with american characters unless it says what states or area the characters are from I read in the general american accent.

although isn't spider-man supposed to have a queens accent but I always kind of hear it in my head as the 90s cartoon version.

You would be surprised I think by the amount of people in britain atleast who can tell the different accents. I think more can than most americans would think, but we speak the same language so guess its easier to hear.

You should hear the Scouse accents (People from Liverpool in North West England)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7VspOs3Qt0

After visiting the BBC's 'Voices' page, I can safely say that...

1. I can point out Suffolk and Edinburgh on a map

2. People from Cornwall simply cannot speak English

3. I still can't nail the Cockney accent without accidentally slipping into RP. :(

After visiting the BBC's 'Voices' page, I can safely say that...

1. I can point out Suffolk and Edinburgh on a map

2. People from Cornwall simply cannot speak English

3. I still can't nail the Cockney accent without accidentally slipping into RP. :(

1. I'm impressed because I couldn't point out suffolk on a map

2. Listen to the way this girl talks at the beginning of this clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yLbVEJNjoY
Cornwall and general west country people sound like tards. No offence but they kind of do.

3.whos RP and

To answer your question about reading american accents.
When I read something with american characters unless it says what states or area the characters are from I read in the general american accent.

although isn't spider-man supposed to have a queens accent but I always kind of hear it in my head as the 90s cartoon version.

You would be surprised I think by the amount of people in britain atleast who can tell the different accents. I think more can than most americans would think, but we speak the same language so guess its easier to hear.

You should hear the Scouse accents (People from Liverpool in North West England)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7VspOs3Qt0

well, not everyone here has a specific regional accent so it's not that big a deal when it comes to most American comic characters I think. Except the ones from the South.:o

are they actually from Liverpool, or are they just mocking the accent?:huh:

1. I'm impressed because I couldn't point out suffolk on a map
South of Norfolk, North of Essex.
2. Listen to the way this girl talks at the beginning of this clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yLbVEJNjoY
Cornwall and general west country people sound like tards. No offence but they kind of do.
Oh dear god!
3.whos RP and
Received Pronunciation, aka BBC English, aka whatever else you guys call that really proper accent. All of the English actors we get in the states (with the exception of Michael Caine) speak properly, so I'm not familiar enough with the more "colorful" accents over there.

well, not everyone here has a specific regional accent so it's not that big a deal when it comes to most American comic characters I think. Except the ones from the South.:o

are they actually from Liverpool, or are they just mocking the accent?:huh:

Their mocking people from liverpool. But they are not far off the real accents.

South of Norfolk, North of Essex.

Oh dear god!

Received Pronunciation, aka BBC English, aka whatever else you guys call that really proper accent. All of the English actors we get in the states (with the exception of Michael Caine) speak properly, so I'm not familiar enough with the more "colorful" accents over there.

you check out films with Danny Dyer in sometime. He was in a movie with Sean Bean who's from Sheffield and Bob Hoskins whos from East London and Dyers accent stands out the most.

Dyer said when he went to america they couldn't understand him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f6GNGShhFg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_G81vrzFts

Why do Cornwallians always sound like they're pissed off about something. I mean it sound so whiney and *****y?

I've long found American accents fascinating.

But Yorkshire will always be the best.

One Woman, 17 British & Irish Accents
[YT]/FyyT2jmVPAk[/YT]

Last edited:
The strangest accent comes courtesy of the Newfie (Newfoundland).

Pretty interesting short video on how the European settlers accents evolved into the modern Southern American accents.

I don't think most linguists would find this strictly correct but its it an interesting theory.

[YT]/mNqY6ftqGq0[/YT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"